• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr: New year - new attitude

New Year - New Attitude

Rainbow_Gryphon.png&f=1

Looking at the last year, some things have gone well and others are stubbornly the same. Time to look at root causes for the difficult parts. My initial thoughts on this were almost identical to last year. Been there, tried that. Secret of the Samurai #8: More of what's not working does not work. Change it up.

Starting from the positive side:

• Exercise and training are going well. I started weight training last challenge and am enjoying it. Core yoga is still making my abs cry for mercy. Continue with the current mix of aikido, strength training and yoga.
  • Doing evening prep earlier makes a difference. Keep up the good habits.
  • Zen is getting better. Keep doing it consistently.

Things that need to change:

• Stay off the caffeine. Repeated tests prove that even decaf messes with my sleep.
  • I am avoiding tasks I don't want to do by saying that cooking is more important. Useful perhaps, but not important. Back off on the cooking.
  • Keep working with Elf and Dumbledore on sharing responsibility for household stuff. We made a start and then dropped it.
  • Get back on good eating habits.
  • Give myself more time. I do not have to go to all the aikido classes and seminars. I can choose my social events. Our house is living proof that no one will die if the cleaning does not get done promptly.
  • Sleep remains key to having energy to do things and a positive attitude.

My overarching goal is stress management. I've spent a lot of time avoiding things and being frustrated about not getting stuff done. So I need to make better choices about what I decide to try to do. I get a lot more satisfaction out of tasks that have a finished product. Things like darning my socks and mending a pair of exercise leggings. They may need attention again, but I can wear them this week and probably for months. As opposed to cooking food and washing dishes. Having a clean kitchen and good food is far too temporary to be really satisfying.

For right now I will track doing the positive things. Bonus points for every nagging task that I get done. For this weekend those should include:

• Replacing the tail light bulb on my car
  • Putting up shelves and rearranging the laundry room so we have space for the treadmill that will be delivered on Monday
  • Cook something for the zen potluck on Sunday
  • Update Gnucash and do filing so I can see my desk
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

Do you drink tea? Roibos is my favorite caffeine free alternative if you haven't tried it. 

Also, Zen potluck?

Unless you don’t like it, try a blend of 50/50 rooibos and peppermint.  One of my favorites.  

14 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Unless you don’t like it, try a blend of 50/50 rooibos and peppermint.  One of my favorites.  

There's a blend called African Solstice by TeaForte that has blueberries, rosehips, and a little bit of vanilla. I don't what else is in it but it is delicious. It and hot chocolate tie for my favorite warm drink.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, PinkNinja said:

Do you drink tea? Roibos is my favorite caffeine free alternative if you haven't tried it. 

Also, Zen potluck?

On 1/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

On 1/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, PinkNinja said:

There's a blend called African Solstice by TeaForte that has blueberries, rosehips, and a little bit of vanilla. I don't what else is in it but it is delicious. It and hot chocolate tie for my favorite warm drink.

Yes, I have been drinking herbal tea instead of coffee. My go-to teas have been decaf chocolate-hazelnut and cocoa mint mate. These cover the chocolate side of my cravings without the sugar of hot chocolate. I drink orange and spice teas fairly often too. I like peppermint, but rarely drink it at work. At least, not by itself. I've been drinking mostly Peppermint Bark for the last several weeks.

I'll have to try the ones you suggested. I have some rooibos. I had it in a coffee house a long time ago and really liked it. The stuff I bought is not as good. I can get some loose peppermint and see how that works with it.

My zen group had a social after class today. Class isn't quite the right word, but it gives the right general idea.We went to a nearby community center to talk and eat. I brought fresh banana bread and peppermint bark. The banana bread was still warm because it came out of the oven right before I had to leave for the dojo. I wrapped it in a towel for safe transport. It was still warm after sitting in my car for five hours.

• Like 4

Hey Nerds, I would like your advice on computer games. I want to get Dumbledore a new game for his birthday. I am totally out of date on this topic.

He has been playing Skyrim and enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind. He played Dragon Age a lot, but complained about the plot being too narrow. He likes games that allow more choice of what a character can do.

Recommendations?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

He has been playing Skyrim and enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind. He played Dragon Age a lot, but complained about the plot being too narrow. He likes games that allow more choice of what a character can do.

Recommendations?

Well, it sounds like he's playing on a PC. The genre of games that tends to promote choice the most would be Open World. If he liked Oblivion and Morrowind, he'd probably like Fallout; that's by the same folks who did Oblivion and Morrowind. I'd advise against Fallout '76 as they tried some new world mechanics that apparently didn't pan out that great, but III, IV, and New Vegas are good. Skyrim would be another good choice - same folks, and it's the sequel to Oblivion and Morrowind.

If y'all are looking to branch out a bit, there's Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, FarCry... um, it'd be a bit cross-genre, but if y'all were looking into sandbox games there's Saint's Row and Grand Theft Auto.

I'd also recommend browsing Steam if you can. Steam is an online sales platform that tends to promote indie games and things like that; I'm all about that indie publisher life, and they tend to price really, really cheap.

Also:

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, Mistr said:

I am avoiding tasks I don't want to do by saying that cooking is more important.

Hear you hard on this one. I honestly don't know if we're just in a perpetual state of burnout or what, but yeah. I definitely tend to procrastinate on lots of stuff, and it's keeping me from doing the things I want to do (reading difficult books and writing). I'm working on this right along with you. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling somewhat better on the attitude side of things. This weekend was busy and I did not get stressed out about not getting everything done.

It helped that Dumbledore was on top of his turn to do laundry. Elf promised to put the chicken breasts in brine and cook them. Unfortunately, they used too much salt in the brine and Dumbledore said the result is inedible. Elf also made roast potatoes and sweet potatoes that came out great. My brain wanted to argue that I hadn't cooked anything, but that is not true. I just didn't cook protein or veggies.

• Finished the peppermint bark that I started last week with leftover chocolate from dipping truffles
  • Made two loaves of banana bread
  • Made granola

On 1/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, Mistr said:

For right now I will track doing the positive things. Bonus points for every nagging task that I get done. For this weekend those should include:

• Replacing the tail light bulb on my car
  • Putting up shelves and rearranging the laundry room so we have space for the treadmill that will be delivered on Monday
  • Cook something for the zen potluck on Sunday
  • Update Gnucash and do filing so I can see my desk

I took a loaf of banana bread and the peppermint bark to the potluck. A veggie dish would have been better, but that was what I had time to do. At least both things were tasty.

The weather was unseasonably warm and sunny on Saturday. I took advantage of the late afternoon light to replace the bulb on my car. About the expected level of putzy with finding the right tools and getting the cover off. WIN

Dumbledore and I looked at the laundry room again on Sunday when I got home from the potluck. He wanted to start from zero as if we had not discussed anything before. We got past the frustrating part and agreed to move things around. I was expecting him to come and get me to help after Hermes got home. What actually happened is that Dumbledore and Hermes did all the work. The chest freezer is now next to the furnace and other things have been moved to make room for the treadmill. The arrangement requires that it get folded up when not in use. I think that will be annoying but a good thing. Having it folded up will protect it from the cats and keep it cleaner. Dumbledore said he would pick up a carpet scrap rug to put by the catbox to reduce the amount of stray cat litter in the room. We shall see.

One good thing is that we can go through all the stuff we piled on the shelves in the laundry room when we moved. Anything that we haven't used in the last six years can go. I still think it would be smart to put up shelves by the laundry tubs. That can now wait as long as it needs to.

Week 1

The challenge coincides nicely with the end of the holiday season. I gave myself through Twelfth Night to eat all the holiday treats. That showed up just like you would expect in my weight this morning. The "good eating habits" part of my challenge will be high priority. This means:

• No snacks between breakfast and lunch
  • Fruit or protein allowed between lunch and dinner
  • No treats at work at all, neither home-made, store-bought nor delivered by magical creatures
  • Focus on eating more veggies
  • For now I can have home-made sweets with dinner at home.

I'm not emotionally ready to face the no white sugar/no white flour restriction that has worked for me in the past. I'll move to that over zero week if I don't see the desired downwards trend.

Actually sitting zen is going well. I still am not getting it in every day. As @Kishi said, better sleep hygiene is the key to making that happen. Plus better prep. I could have sat longer this morning if I had packed breakfast and lunch yesterday evening.

So far, so good. Now to go home and make progress on the finances and cooking veggies.

• Like 3

Tuesday

- did full weight training/mobility routine with 10 minutes HIIT warmup. I really like this part of my exercise plan. Good thing, because it takes 60 minutes gym time. I accidentally kept all the weights the same as last time because I screwed up plate math. Probably just as well. I can increase next time. My knees are making less crunchy noises when I do squats.

- Cooked chicken breasts and made sweet potato hash. I also cooked some Italian sausage for future lasagna before I made the hash. I decided on hash as a good breakfast food that includes protein and veggies with no dairy or grains. This version included hot Italian sausage (I bought the hot version by accident), onion, garlic, yellow pepper, celery and sweet potatoes. I score kitchen points by using up the aging pepper and celery and the sausage that Dumbledore doesn't like. He will probably find the hash too spicy. That's fine, he batch cooked oatmeal for his breakfasts. Elf and Hermes like spicy food and might eat it.

- Took a break between the first and second cooking tasks to sit and read a novel. I considered knitting or spinning. Doing something to distract my brain was the right choice. I put the book down at a reasonable time.

- In spite of stopping reading when I intended, cooking took longer than expected so I got to bed late. I got the clean dishes put away while things were cooking. There are still lots of dishes piled next to the sink. Maybe someone will take the time to wash some today with nothing in their way.

Family update

Spoiler

Elf seems to be on a positive track again. They just got hired for a second job working at a restaurant. A friend who works there referred them. It sounds like the two jobs will dovetail nicely to give 40+ hours a week. I think Elf may be being optimistic about how easy it will be to change their current hours at the shop where they are working retail. Just like they were expecting the shop to be closed on New Year's Day without confirming that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I do think that having a busier work schedule will help Elf stay on top of things in general. Right now they tend to sleep late on days they don't work and struggle to get up early on work days. The restaurant and the store open at the same time on weekends. It may throw a wrench in Elf's social life. That might be a good thing too.

The new treadmill got installed on Monday. Dumbledore used it yesterday and today. He says that he can tell he has not been doing regular cardio. WIN!

Dumbledore has also made amazing progress on cleaning and sorting things in his office. He has five boxes of books to sell or give away. You can see the floor now. :applause:

Of course the downside is that he moved a bunch of other boxes of stuff into the dining room to sort them. He promises to keep working on it so we can eat in the dining room later this month.

Dumbledore proudly told me that he bought broccoli and celery so that he could have healthy snacks instead of potato chips. I was good and made encouraging noises instead of pointing out that we already had broccoli in the fridge. If Dumbledore needs to buy his own snacks to be willing to eat them, I can live with that.

I learned yesterday that an out-of-town aikido friend will be staying with us this weekend. Cleaning the family room now moves to the top of my list. There are still veggies that need cooking. Maybe Elf will get to those before they go bad, maybe not. I'm glad I bought two more bags of frozen veggies so I can make grab and go lunches like I did this morning.

• Like 3

It's the psychological quirk of having a cost sunk into something to keep you active in it. Now that he's bought it, he links it to a decision that he's made, and that makes it possible for him to follow through.

I say this as one who has lived this. ^_^;

That's awesome that Elf managed to score a pair of jobs. Now it's gonna be a matter of getting them to play nice. Retail and food services are not known for this.

• Like 3

I made it to bed before 10:00pm last night!  Still not caught up on sleep but at least I'm not getting more behind. 

I did zen last night and this morning.

I have been good about not snacking at work. Herbal tea is my salvation in keeping this goal. It has enough flavor to convince my brain I'm having something good without actually supplying calories. Comes with bonus hydration. Part of my deal with myself is that I can eat anything I want at home. There is considerable chocolate in my future. Maybe even a new batch of shortbread.

This morning when I was laying in bed trying to convince myself to get up, the main thing I was looking forward to was doing yoga at lunch. Which I did: NF Yoga Star A. I am getting steadier on the Half Moon pose. It feels good to come back to the same yoga session about once a month to see how I've progressed from doing other things.

Tonight is date night and cleaning the family room. Dinner will probably be frozen food from Costco unless Dumbledore gets ambitious.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mistr said:

his version included hot Italian sausage (I bought the hot version by accident), onion, garlic, yellow pepper, celery and sweet potatoes. I score kitchen points by using up the aging pepper and celery and the sausage that Dumbledore doesn't like. He will probably find the hash too spicy. That's fine, he batch cooked oatmeal for his breakfasts. Elf and Hermes like spicy food and might eat it.

Meal prep winning at boss level.

Spoiler

Glad to hear Elf may have a steadier schedule in their future!  It is always good for us youngin's to have a set time that one must arrive by at work, otherwise one is likely to be up all night Staring At The Internets.  I always find those start times initiate a responsibility cascade.  I hope that situation works out well.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mistr said:

The new treadmill got installed on Monday. Dumbledore used it yesterday and today. He says that he can tell he has not been doing regular cardio. WIN!

Dumbledore has also made amazing progress on cleaning and sorting things in his office. He has five boxes of books to sell or give away. You can see the floor now. :applause:

Of course the downside is that he moved a bunch of other boxes of stuff into the dining room to sort them. He promises to keep working on it so we can eat in the dining room later this month.

Fantastic yay!!  Seeing the floor is a huge step.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, Mistr said:

I made it to bed before 10:00pm last night!  Still not caught up on sleep but at least I'm not getting more behind. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3455096

Hey I'm glad to hear it!  not behind is a chance to get caught up later?

On 1/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, Mistr said:

This morning when I was laying in bed trying to convince myself to get up

This is me every single morning.  It is worse in the winter when my bed is warm and everything else is not.  

• Like 1

So over the last few weeks I had a theory that B vitamins were the magic pill I needed to be productive at work. I had several days when I was short on sleep, took my vitamins and got things done.

Today shows that there must be something else involved. I have kept to my goal of avoiding caffeine. I mostly caught up on sleep over the weekend then stayed up too late last night.

Most of my reason for staying up was to have fun. Elf and I have been planning on going to see Bohemian Rhapsody since the first trailer came out. Last night we finally got to the theater to see it. Nostalgia for me, a cautionary tale for Elf. We got home at 10:00 and I was too wired to go straight to bed like a responsible person. So I switched over the laundry and talked with Dumbledore for a while.

Dumbledore is justifiably proud of getting ALL the piles of books off the floor of his office. This exposed carpet that has not seen the light of day in years. He vacuumed and shampooed the carpet. His office looks great (if you don't look at the desk or too close in the corners). Cleaning his office brought up all the feels - satisfaction at taking control, guilt at letting it get out of hand, complicated feeling about his dad as he decided to move his dad's old professional library to the back corner. He is in the same field as his dad, but the books that were modern references then are dated now.

The aikido seminar this weekend was fun. I was catching on well to what the sensei was teaching. One of my out-of-town friends commented that I looked energetic on Saturday. On Sunday morning I was practicing a technique with one of our senior instructors and he made appreciative noises. I felt like the technique was easy, even when we changed partners. It's too much to hope that I am actually learning this stuff, but I'll take a good couple days now and then.

Tonight I was thinking about going to the dojo, but decided that groceries and laundry will happen instead. Our fridge is getting bare enough that Dumbledore noticed and made suggestions. I pulled out a big package of pork chops from the freezer as requested. Who knows, he might even cook them. I'm not going to hold my breath about that. I am going to put the beans and leeks from December in the compost pile. Leeks do amazing things when you leave them in a plastic bag with dim light for a few weeks. Fun science project. :P 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Mistr said:

Fun science project. :P 

This is what me and my friends call it when we decide to mix alcohol and beverages and see what happens. :D

• Haha 2

Week 2 Monday & Tuesday

Both days were busy at work and I stayed late. On Tuesday I did weight training at lunch which takes more than an hour. I cut out the inverted rows because I was running short on time. I made up the extra at the end of the day plus some. It was one of those days where I ended up more behind than I started. That colored my choices for the evening.

Monday I was short on sleep. I was good and got to bed on time so I had 8 hours going into Tuesday. That helped some but I ran out of steam by the end of the day and made poor decisions. Today I am short on sleep again. Surprisingly awake and productive, considering.

Choices I made:

I did some grocery shopping on the way home Monday. I went to the closer grocery store that runs good specials on meat but is otherwise more expensive. I was hoping to pick up some chicken thighs at $0.99/lb. I couldn't find those anywhere, but I did find a 2-for-1 deal on beef chuck roast. They also had their store-made bratwurst on sale. Bonus was Progresso soup for $0.99 a can if you bought 8+. Since Dumbledore just grumbled at Elf for taking a can of chicken soup for lunch, I bought a bunch of them. Hermes and Elf seem to be using canned soup as their main back-up lunch food.

Folded and put away three loads of laundry. That did me in for Monday and I spent the rest of the evening reading.

Tuesday morning I started pot roast in the crock pot. I was pretty sure that there would be nothing else to eat if I didn't cook (not counting soup). There was one piece of chicken breast left that I saved for my lunch today. I didn't want to eat it Tuesday because I've been eating this batch of chicken since last week. Cooking in the morning took the time I would have used for zen and then some. I said I would do zen in the evening - and didn't. Again.

What I did after work was get home a little before 7pm and made mashed potatoes. While they were cooking I put a squash in the oven and made the pot roast liquid into gravy. It was tasty. I picked up my novel at dinner and didn't put it down until after I should have headed to bed. I did manage to package all the food I cooked and a lunch. I also set out clothes and put a clean T-shirt in my gym bag. Points for staying on top of prep.

I talked with Elf about cooking, grocery shopping and figuring out a new household management strategy. Elf said they would do some dishes yesterday and cook the now-thawed pork chops and do grocery shopping today. Elf did put the pork chops in marinade. No dishes were washed. When questioned, Elf said they promised to do dishes "later" rather than a specific time. No, I'm not buying it. Not when we have recently had conversations about not over-promising and letting things slide. I'm not holding my breath about Elf doing all the things tonight. I did a few dishes this morning so the sink was usable. There is still a big pile on the counter and the stove. Elf has not yet reached the point of noticing and thinking "I have some time, I should take care of some of these". I won't have time to do dishes until Friday so it will be a good test.

• Like 1

:ph34r: Tried to find you in week zero...no luck and then got busy and just now found you after you found me....

I love the treat that is catching up on your thread :D  I love reading about your house dynamics

• Like 1

Well, I hope they step up. I respect how difficult chores can be to do - there's a lot of things I let slide so I can focus on my training and doing what I want to do - but that ish has to get done.

In the meantime, glad to see that you're being as effective as ever~!

Elf did in fact wash dishes and cook the pork chops. They also washed a load of their laundry and dyed their hair between work and going out with friends. I got the distinct impression that Elf was doing their best to be a responsible adult and was feeling stressed about it all. I thanked them for doing all the things before they left.

I also mentioned that they never ask for help, even though we would be happy to do so most of the time. Elf was not able to ask for anything in their birth family and still feels like it is not safe to do so. That means I will have to tactfully offer on a regular basis. Not my best trick with a young adult. However I do something similar at work, so I can do this.

Work has been very busy this week. Today I have been productive and not goofing off and I am still finishing further behind than I was when I got here. So much for positively dealing with stress. I'm glad I get to go out with Dumbledore tonight. And I made plans weeks ago to take tomorrow afternoon off. Thank you past me!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I'm glad I get to go out with Dumbledore tonight. And I made plans weeks ago to take tomorrow afternoon off.

Have a wonderful night! You deserve it!

17 hours ago, Mistr said:

Work has been very busy this week. Today I have been productive and not goofing off and I am still finishing further behind than I was when I got here.

I've had the exact same week.

tumblr_mwgxv6PA8a1rngptso1_250.gif

Good for you taking some time off. The work will still be there when all is said and done.

• Like 2

Weekend report

Taking some time off was absolutely the right thing to do. I felt nearly human by the end of the weekend. Now the trick is staying that way.

Thursday -

Had dinner at home then went to a coffeehouse for dessert with Dumbledore. Good to have some time to catch up. He had to be on a work call after that which gave me time to get caught up with logging.

Friday - 

Two of my coworkers had sick kids so I thought I was going to have to stay longer at work. Thankfully my colleague stepped in to help. That gave me time to stop by the library, do my complete weight training routine and get home before the snow got bad. That gave me time to get started on the laundry, dishes and cooking before people came over for gaming.

The snow did indeed get bad later. Both Hermes and Elf got came home swearing about the other drivers.

Saturday - 

I had already decided to take a rest day because my body was achey on Friday. That meant I got to sleep in and did not drive anywhere. Dumbledore and I spent an hour shoveling out the driveway and sidewalk. I was tired afterwards but not more sore than I was before. Dumbledore went out in search of the right type of peanut butter cereal and got supplemental groceries. I got a lot done around the house and took some time to finish reading Lab Girl.

Sunday - 

The thought of having a whole weekend with no outside commitments was really attractive, so I did. That gave me time to achieve victory over laundry, do more cooking and have time to spin. I even did accounting without feeling stressed. My body felt much better by Sunday afternoon. Usually I feel really achey after a weekend of aikido and zen. I think I needed the time off.

Accomplished

• Replaced two buttons on the comforter cover
  • Repaired the hem in a pair of work slacks
  • Got the laundry and ironing done and put away
  • Made peanut soup with chicken, sweet potatos and broccoli
  • Made kurnik (Russian chicken pot pie)
  • Washed dishes twice

I did talk with Elf about doing dishes. There are still some left to do today. We have not figured out a new management plan for the household. Next weekend will be better for that because Elf has started a second job and Dumbledore will be teaching again. They will have a clearer idea of their schedules.

Dumbledore did an amazing job of cleaning his office last week. Yesterday he starting in sorting the boxes he brought up to the dining room. He found lots of old stuff to recycle and some important papers that had gone astray. Much Progress.

• Like 2

Week Two Overview

What went well and what did I learn?

Good

Exercise and training were as good as I could ever want. The previous weekend I had a great aikido partner. My training partner was out of town so I only did one aikido class during the week. Instead I did a bunch of extra yoga. I could really feel it in my abs. I did enough exercise that I felt like I needed a rest day, then did an hour of shoveling. My knees are happy with me. I'm making gradual progress on cardio endurance and weights. All good.

I stayed off caffeine even though I did not get enough sleep during the week. On the weekend I tried a French Vanilla Cappuchino mix that was a gift from the neighbors. I learned that instant vanilla cappuchino is like hot chocolate for people who want vanilla instead of chocolate in their mocha. Only with more artificial flavor. No temptation there. I told Elf they could take it to work to get it out of our house.

I gave myself time to relax. I did errands on my way home on Monday and Tuesday, then spent the rest of the evening reading. I took a half day on Friday so I could take my time exercising, go to the library and get a head start on the weekend chores. I spent time doing fun stuff both Saturday and Sunday. I feel considerably less stressed.

Sleep was a mixed bag. I only stayed up late on purpose once during the week. Other evenings when things got in my way I did my best to do morning prep work. I got to sleep in on the weekend which was great.

Bonus points for updating Gnucash and doing filing. I also shredded a pile of old financial records. I am still way behind where I'd like to be, but moving in the right direction.

I'm also giving myself bonus points for getting the mending done this weekend. That got a pair of good work slacks back in service (I'm wearing them now) and let me put away the down comforter in ready-to-use condition. There is just one sweater still in my mending pile.

Mending is not as much fun as embroidery but it scratches the same itch. I felt even better when I  did spinning. I'm working on some very fine wool that my British friend bought when we visited a sheep farm last summer. I was surprised to see how fast it was going even though I'm spinning a very thin yarn. I feel like myself when I'm spinning. I want to remember that when I have 10 minutes and a choice of things to do.

Bad

Zen was decidedly not consistent. I skipped Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. Early morning continues to be the best time. Keep working on it.

Ugly

My weight was up almost two pounds on Monday morning. Time to implement serious measures. These will be in place until I get back to the target zone of 154 lbs.

• No white sugar
  • Limit simple starches as much as possible. No bread, tortilla chips, white rice, french fries, crackers, etc.
  • I can eat all the meat and veggies I want
  • No snacking between meals
  • No treats at work. This is a major area of temptation for me.
  • Fruit is fine for dessert because I am not tempted to overdo it.
  • Limit dairy. This has less to do with weight and more is a test of if less dairy will improve my digestion and reduce inflammation in my joints.
  • Occasional exceptions allowed for desserts I make myself.
  • Like 3

Yesterday was all kinds of interesting.

We got snow overnight and it was still snowing heavily in the morning. I probably could have made it to work if I shoveled out the bottom of the driveway. Several of my coworkers were stuck until the plows came through and the local schools were closed. My boss texted at 6am that we were having a remote day. Everyone was prepared for it, and it went as smoothly as could have been expected. I got to spend 25 minutes sitting zen instead of shoveling before work.

Aside from the time saved commuting, I had an extremely busy day. I had to be online at 7 to check in with my team and update our schedule to account for the people who had to take care of their kids. Then the volume of new work was higher than normal. I had a doctor's appointment that was rescheduled to the afternoon because of the storm. I closed down my work laptop half an hour later than planned, which gave me 30 minutes to shovel and dig out my car, then 30 minutes to drive to the clinic. Only to find out that the doctor was behind schedule. By that time I didn't care. Sitting still was a nice change. I got steroid shots in my big toes again. I'm glad that this time I was able to go 10 months between shots. I've lost a lot of range of motion in my toes, but at least they don't hurt now.

The next bit of excitement is shopping for a new washer. In our ongoing saga of major appliance replacements, the washer went from being creaky to screaming last weekend. I got it used for $50, so it doesn't owe us anything. Still, a new one is not in the budget. More creative financing, here we come.

I had only two students at aikido. We had fun working with a ryotetori connection exercise from the seminar. The partners touch hands, palms together. They decide who gets to be nage. Nage tries to feel their partner's center, then adjusts their own posture and stance so that they move their partner without using any arm motion. I had them apply this with various footwork.

• Like 3

Today was a nice change of pace from the last few days. I decided not to go to zen because I needed down time something fierce. I had zero down time Friday or Saturday and was feeling it strongly by Saturday evening.

Friday was a pretty normal day at work, for a change. I took advantage of that to dig into my backlog of emails and to-dos. I made it through the last two weeks of immediate tasks by 7pm. I just did not want to have more nagging things hanging over me for the weekend. I went to the grocery store on the way home. That made me a little grouchy because I had texted the family earlier in the day asking what they wanted to cook for the next week. What I heard back was ... crickets. So I just got the basics and headed home.

Dumbledore helped me unload and put away the groceries. That made me feel considerably better about team support at home. Dumbledore had a busy day too and had only gotten home half an hour before I did. I was hoping to have some time to relax but I was responsible and went straight to bed.

Saturday was an aikido seminar an hour away. That was preceded by picking up two people from my dojo, one of whom lives half an hour in the wrong direction. Neither of them drives, so they can only get to out of town events if someone offers to drive. That would be me. There were a couple other people from my dojo there, but they were not able to carpool. I was pleased to see so many of my friends from the region there. The instruction was by several senior people at the host dojo. I've trained with them before but never took classes from them. That was fun. The event was organized to recognize the sensei's 30 year anniversary in aikido. His first instructor is one of the people in our region that goes to all the seminars. It was nice to see him recognized. At the end there were shodan "demonstrations". One was a pre-test for a student who is now training at my dojo while he is at college. The second was a post-test for a person who did not quite past his test last summer. Both were good for their respective levels.

We all went out afterwards. I was pretty good about sticking to my good eating choices. I'm counting sweet potato fries as a vegetable. At lunch I had a decaf cappuchino and a small roll with my salad. I did not sample any of the specialties of the brew house where we had dinner. I had to struggle to participate in the conversation at dinner. Thankfully at least one of the people who sat next to me was happy to talk. My dojo carpool members were both quiet on the drive home. Thank goodness for my car talking to spotify on my phone. I burned more data than I'd like, but it was worth it to stay awake and calm on a slippery drive home. I was gone from 7:20am - 10:30pm. I was wiped out by the time I got home.

Today I took some time to spin, made split pea soup and sorted through a good chunk of the papers on my desk. I also washed a LOT of dishes. The sink is accessible again for the first time in days.

Dumbledore and I did some research on front-load washers. Most of the new ones have features we don't want like Wi-fi. I can't think of anything I would ever want to communicate with my washing machine remotely. I could see having a delayed start feature so I could set it up before I left for work in the morning. That would guarantee it would not be running while other people were taking showers. All the other bells and whistles are just things to break that don't add value for us. Fixing the old washer is looking better and better. If it turns out to be beyond hope, we'll look for a discontinued low-end model that has basic features. Plus Dumbledore said he would go to the laundromat on Tuesday. Yay!

Tomorrow looks like another snow day. The weather service is predicting 6-10 inches overnight getting heavier in the morning. Rats. I was hoping to make more progress at work tomorrow. Dumbledore's college has already cancelled school for the day, as have the local schools. Chances are good that some of my coworkers will have to stay home to take care of kids tomorrow. Aikido and spinning have both been cancelled for tomorrow evening. Dumbledore has already cleared off the dining room table for me so I can work from home. I suppose the bright side is that I save an hour of commuting time. If Elf and Hermes are stuck home tomorrow I can probably guilt trip them into doing the shoveling. Dumbledore and I did it the last two times.

• Like 3

Made it to work! It feels odd to be so relieved to get to work on a Monday.

About half my team made it in and the other half is working remotely. The snow turned to freezing drizzle sometime in the early morning hours so we did not get as much accumulation as predicted. The roads are snowy but not bad. It has turned back to snow again at 9am. I get the feeling that the news people were happy to have the weather as a big story because they are getting bored with Trump's drama.

• Like 2