• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr: New year - new attitude

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Made it to work! It feels odd to be so relieved to get to work on a Monday.

I had to laugh at this, please stay safe!!

Our weather is screwy this week. Not nearly as bad as the news would have it. Everyone listened to the weather people saying "don't go outside, you are all GOING TO DIE!".

Sunday night through Monday morning we got much less snow than predicted. It was the usual sort of snowy mess, not Snowmaggeddon. But schools had proactively closed, so some of the parents had to stay home with kids.

Wednesday and Thursday were cold but otherwise fine. Bright and sunny. You would think the world was ending by the way everyone was carrying on. That made my commute easy because no one was on the road the last two days. I was happy that my little Prius started right up in -25ºF weather. Really people, it was not that cold. I grew up in Minnesota. We had a week of -20 weather every winter. I walked from my apartment to class every day. I added an extra layer by putting my wool cloak over my winter coat on top of the usual base layer and warm sweaters. It was fine. Just like it was fine this week. People just need to learn to put on a hat and mittens. Sheeesh.

The downside is that work has been busy because of people being out. I am sick today and would have stayed home, but I don't want to get more behind. At this rate I'm not sure I'm doing myself any good. For bonus excitement, I missed working out at lunch because the fire alarm went off just as I was heading out. I was the designated supervisor for my team. It was  caused by a burst sprinkler pipe. So far I have held firm against caffeine but caved on the treats. Someone brought chocolate-covered cranberries and they are good. My resolve to eat healthy is not holding up well under stress.

On the home front, our washer is non-revivifiable. The repair person came yesterday and said to fix it would cost $200 more than buying a new one. Joy, joy. Looks like Sunday will be appliance shopping. Tomorrow I am going to a silk dyeing workshop put on by my spinning group. Dumbledore said he would take on the task of hauling two weeks of laundry to the laundromat.

Spoiler

Elf went to their new job and missed that the street does not allow parking during rush hour. They called last night because their car had disappeared. Luckily for them, our local towing service just takes the cars to the nearest legal parking spot. In the Twin Cities they towed to a lot located far from a bus stop on the bad side of downtown. Dumbledore just chewed Elf out for not paying their parking tickets and getting hit with fines. Now Elf has another even more expensive ticket. Taking the bus might be a better plan than driving.

• Like 2

Week 4

Mostly fail. About the only good thing was that I avoided caffeine. Aikido was cancelled for three days because of the weather. I missed working out on Thursday and Friday because of more weather-related shenanigans. Saturday I was sick and napped instead of exercising once I finally got home. I did not do anything useful with my three bonus evenings at home - I just read a novel. That may have helped a little with my stress but the staying up late reading counteracted any benefit. I was stressed at work and ate treats. That was reflected in my weight this morning.

Aside from being sick (or maybe because of it), the weekend went well. I called off gaming on Friday night because both Dumbledore and I were sick. Not enough brain to let people know earlier in the day, which would have been considerate. In retrospect it was the right call. I went grocery shopping on my way home because I didn't have enough brain to come up with a different plan. Not gaming gave me enough time to make roast veggies for a potluck on Saturday and do some spinning.

Saturday morning I woke up feeling miserable enough to consider skipping the dyeing workshop. I decided to go anyway because I wanted to see people and I love spinning dyed silk. The dyeing was fun. We were working with small (1-3 oz.) of silk roving, silk hankies (actually stretched out cocoons in hanky-sized squares) and wool/silk roving. We did hand painting - kind of like finger painting but using small cups of dye and spoons to put color on the fiber. The fiber was wrapped in saran wrap and microwaved to set the colors. The organizers did a great job and everyone brought good food to share for lunch. I'm glad I went.

I was driving home from the workshop looking forward to taking a nap when Dumbledore texted and asked me to meet him at the laundromat. I helped him fold all the laundry. Somehow he was surprised that it took three hours to wash, dry and fold six loads of laundry. :P 

From the laundromat we went straight to an appliance store to check out washing machines. Most of them had expensive features we Do Not Want. Luckily Dumbledore spotted the scratch-n-dent room. There was a washer that had been returned but had nothing wrong with it. As basic as a front-loading washer gets in 2018 and marked down to a reasonable price. We went for it. There may be some better deal at some other store somewhere. Finding that deal is not worth the time to us right now. Next weekend will be my turn and I will be using a new washer. :D

Sunday went better than usual, probably because I was so tired that I went to bed early on Saturday (even after a nap). I did yoga, reading and got a lot of cooking done. I had planned on making bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with feta for a work potluck; and sweet potato hash for breakfasts. When I went to get the sweet potatos out of the pantry closet I discovered that most of them were going soft in a really disturbing way. None of them had been in there more than two weeks so someone must have brought home a contaminated one. Luckily there were still several good ones on the bottom. I bleached the sweet potato bin. The bin also had a rutabaga and celery root. Those looked fine but I didn't want to take any chances. So I made a big batch of roasted root veggies: rutabaga, celeriac, parsnips, sweet onion and a couple carrots for color. This gives us starchy veggies with no potatos for a change. Dumbledore packed it up for lunches. We now have a fridge full of ready-to-eat food.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Next weekend will be my turn and I will be using a new washer. :D

I can feel the glee in this sentence! :lol: 

Challenge wrap up

My overarching goal is stress management. Definitely some progress at home. Work has been busy and I am still showing signs of wanting to eat sugar to deal with it. I have been less driven at home. That also means that some things aren't getting done.

Things that need to change:

• Stay off the caffeine. Good
  • I am avoiding tasks I don't want to do by saying that cooking is more important. Useful perhaps, but not important. Back off on the cooking. Progress. I still did a lot of cooking in preference to other chores. 
  • Keep working with Elf and Dumbledore on sharing responsibility for household stuff. Talked to Elf about this but nothing has happened yet.
  • Get back on good eating habits. Better. I'm eating more veggies and less snacks.
  • Give myself more time. Pretty good. I skipped aikido when I was too busy. I made an active choice to go do fun things with other people.
  • Sleep remains key to having energy to do things and a positive attitude. Mixed. Still working on it.

For right now I will track doing the positive things. Bonus points for every nagging task that I get done.

• Replacing the tail light bulb on my car  Done
  • Putting up shelves and rearranging the laundry room so we have space for the treadmill that will be delivered on Monday Not so immediate since Dumbledore and Hermes rearranged the laundry room. 
  • Cook something for the zen potluck on Sunday Done
  • Update Gnucash and do filing so I can see my desk Did one round, needs several more

Another thing I changed is not playing TwoDots on my phone. Substituting more positive forms of stress relief like spinning is working for me. I need to get past the challenging part of my current knitting project so I can have that as a relaxing thing too.

I like the feeling of getting tasks done. Things like replacing the bulb in the hallway light that is hard to reach. I cleaned the fixture and put in a LED bulb. That task should stay done for several years. :D  For my next challenge I want to work more on the annoying things that will stay done for more than a week. I also need to address the bigger things I'm avoiding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I cleaned the fixture and put in a LED bulb. That task should stay done for several years. :D

I relate to this, when we bought the house last year I replaced all the bulbs with LED for this, and the energy saving reason!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're taking time for yourself and that the others are stepping up a little. Further to go, but that's always, right?

Just read through this while waiting for your next challenge. I laughed at Elf over-brining the chicken and making something inedible. That seems pretty well-intentioned and funny (if annoying). I was also amazed at all the fancy washer features. I had no idea.