Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2019)

148 miles to Mordor! If I can do that before the end of this month, my goal of making it all the way there and back again in 2019 might actually be doable! :) 

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Participated last year but stopped tracking regularly. Respawning at the Shire and excited to see how far I get. I've also downloaded the unofficially official app for my phone, which breaks down the distance markers with frequent story snippets. I will be mostly tracking there and uploading here every week or so. 

Excited to see how much distance I put in. Just signed up for my first half marathon this coming November. For now I'll be tracking walks, runs, and bike workouts (half credit towards total distance).

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

On 2/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Participated last year but stopped tracking regularly. Respawning at the Shire and excited to see how far I get. I've also downloaded the unofficially official app for my phone, which breaks down the distance markers with frequent story snippets. I will be mostly tracking there and uploading here every week or so.

Congrats on respawning! What is this unofficially official app of which you speak?

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Well guys...

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm HOME.

I've walked 3400miles in 14 months... Seen MANY awesome, amazing things; did something I wasn't sure I could do (79mile hike in 2 days!)

... I m now in a quest to strive to fully cast my Ring of limitations into the lava ...

(meaning my 2019 challenge is to walk 100miles in 2 days! I know I can do it, if I don't go all FRODO and give up on it in the last few miles- like I did LAST YEAR!)

I'll say this...

there's something cool about the analogies of my big walks to the actual story of the LOTR...

like the LOTR; most of the big effort was on the Way towards destroying the ring

I didn't Quite do the task I wanted to 

and now... I try again and in the the LOTR; frodo finds more of a quest AFTER the rings is destroyed in the "scouring of the shire"

I just want to pass along my hobbit advice, to note lose your wonder in the quest.  its Truly AMAZING that people can walk thousands of miles in a year or two.  and they can . IF. they track each mile, patient, digilant, persevere, not understimate the importance of how little efforts add up, and not shy from the opportunities to walk big mileage.

wherever you live. if you allow the Roads to sweep you to wild places.... you will see wonders, yes, but you will have to face your fears.  by the end of the big voyages you may still be hobbits, but as gandalf alludes (towards the end of the book), you will not be the meek hobbits you once were.

you will be able to take on the big demons of your life and make progress towards being the best hobbit, a hobbit can be.

thanks for being good companions in my quest.  good luck to you all.  I know you can do it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Okay, count me in! I was using LotR to motivate a distance quest anyway, and I've been really tempted lately by the idea of thru-hiking a trail...

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: The Threshold Chronicles of KCAleece

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

Just joining the thread, though I started walking a while ago.  I'm about 300 miles outside Rivendell.

21 minutes ago, BlackCatMagic said:

Just joining the thread, though I started walking a while ago.  I'm about 300 miles outside Rivendell.

Happy trails!

that's a good start.  I can't exactly remember any more- does that place you near weathertop?  

those where tense moments for the fellowship

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3q41v-XZqiRNRh46zHvE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

Happy trails!

that's a good start.  I can't exactly remember any more- does that place you near weathertop?  

those where tense moments for the fellowship

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3q41v-XZqiRNRh46zHvE

I think I am still too far out to be at Weathertop.  I mean it was only a few days from there to Rivendell, wasn't it?  Poor Frodo ...

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

well, no....

per Aragorn, Weathertop is a fortnight of travel to rivendell (14 days).

let me google this out....hold on, I'm googling

Yep, according to Google, I am currently camped at Weathertop, roasting a vegan hot dog. 

ok.  what is your mileage?

the offical challenge is described here... https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/walking/  ("How to walk to Mordor")

there is conflicting mileage on the net-  NF uses this one...

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/tools.html#Location

and shire to rivendell is described here:

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

roasting vegen hot dogs at the top of weathertop is quite a nice milemarker.  mile 241

to put it in perspective... bree is 135 and Rivendell is 458.

so the distance between the too is just a little more than 300 miles... thats why you post confused me a little.

anyways!  congrats on your journey.  you clearly have a good routine to get sweeped into the wild lands between bree and rivendell.  

1 minute ago, TGP said:

ok.  what is your mileage?

there is conflicting mileage on the net-  NF uses this one...

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/tools.html#Location

and shire to rivendell is described here:

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

roasting vegen hot dogs at the top of weathertop is quite a nice milemarker.  mile 241

to put it in perspective... bree is 135 and Rivendell is 458.

so the distance between the too is just a little more than 300 miles... thats why you post confused me a little.

anyways!  congrats on your journey.  you clearly have a good routine to get sweeped into the wild lands between bree and rivendell.  

I've currently traveled 159 miles.  According to the challenge spreadsheet that places me 299.01 miles from Rivendell.  So NF says I'm in the wild lands, but Google says Weathertop.  But definitely on my way!

image.png.6527453209f53bc651c7097241414a45.png

• Like 1