• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm Back!!!

Wow, has it really been a couple years since I've been here?!? So much oddness has gone on in the time since we all last were together. Ups, downs, lots of things going sideways but every so often you need to revisit things that have worked in the past.  At least until I figure out exactly how everything is going to go with this, it's best to start with what I've got planned and what I want to do. Why didn't I just stay in the car?!

305f8ddab4b470b5e77bbdf98984058c.jpg.13283358e83d92a7f389ef0c438e48a7.jpg

Over the course of 2018 I had run my life with one New Year's Resolution: to be at least 12 lbs lighter than I was when I started the year. Jan 1 2018 I was 336.2... when I started this year I was at 322 even, a total loss of 14.2 lbs! That was exciting because I was able to keep up that goal for the entire year and keep it. My overall goal right now for 2019 is to do the same, be 12 pounds lighter at the end of the year to bring me to 310 while working on getting myself down to a more personally acceptable weight. 

With this respawn point I think it's time to actually start this year's weight loss with doing some actual work (somehow I lost the 14 pounds by shear luck/minor motivation/Pokemon Go/less snacking). Let's get down to some action!

Goal 1: Caliber vs. Momentum 

Since I've just been lollygagging my way through 2018 I really didn't get to doing much activity-wise except for the few weeks both prior to and post moving back to my old stomping grounds in Metro Detroit. Minus the occasional walk at the local park with our dog (well, former dog :dispirited: ) I didn't really do all too much to work my body over the year. Time to change all that. Whether it be homebound or at the workout center in my complex (yeah, have one of those, NEVER used it) I need to get moving a minimum of twice a week. Yes, I could push myself to doing more but let's start simply and realistically.

Goal 2: Caliber vs. the Kung Pao Chicken

Food!! The great and glorious.... mixed blessing. We all need fuel to keep ourselves going but with the varieties that are out there it's sometimes (LOTS of times) difficult to keep myself on the straight and narrow. With a direct plan of finding, getting together and trying one new meal a week is a goal that will help me hone my cooking skills again (as long as I can stop burning Eggs in a Basket)

Goal 3: Calibre vs. the Money Pit

DEBT!!! Why does it always have to be debt?!

Snakes, debt, same thing Dr. Jones! They are both mean, deadly and tend to bite you right on the backside when you're not looking. So, minor thing and this'll take more time that just one challenge but it'll be to do things that will help improve my credit score as well as reduce my overall debt. The start of this challenge will be great for this for several reasons that are occurring now. More on that later!

• Like 5

Hey, welcome back stranger! Good to see you again!

Nice job on the weight loss, intentional or not it counts!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RES said:

Hey, welcome back stranger! Good to see you again!

Nice job on the weight loss, intentional or not it counts!

Thank you!! Yes, it's good to be back! I'd like to be able to be closer to 300 before the end of 2019 but I want to be realistic. I want to be closer to 270 by Feb 2021 for a cruise with my family for my parents' 50th anniversary so I want to be able to enjoy it with little to no discomfort.

Let the games begin again!!

• Like 1

Making a quick and useful addendum to the challenge. Goal 1 will have an addition!! Along with the 2 workouts per week (which will need to be 30 minutes or more, hadn't put that down in writing) will be a seemingly simple 30 day challenge which looked kinda interesting and lords know that I need more flexibility :semi-twins: 

touch-your-toes-challenge-intro.jpg.5a8953ee1ae075f0dcbc326cd771c1e6.jpg

Let's see what happens by the time I get to day 28 and the end of this challenge. 

• Like 5

On 1/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, Calibre said:

Goal 2: Caliber vs. the Kung Pao Chicken

Kung Pao Chicken is a nefarious adversary, against whom I rarely triumph 

I like the stretching goal.  I think I may look into a Darebee stretching program next challenge

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, NicTheRugger said:

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing you progress on your quest =)

Many thanks! I'll look forward to posting progress! 

22 hours ago, karinajean said:

Hey, welcome back! I love the darebee workouts. They make it really easy to have *something* to do.

Thank you, thank you! Yeah, I had done (or at least started, let's get real) some of them before and still a resource that seems good. Exactly! I had just seen that Toe Touching one as their newest and thought... what the heck?!

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Kung Pao Chicken is a nefarious adversary, against whom I rarely triumph 

I like the stretching goal.  I think I may look into a Darebee stretching program next challenge

It is definitely a dangerous adversary! I'm thinking I'm needing to start small (thus the once a week goal) and branch out from there. I am a carnivore so I like my meats so I need to buffer that craving with some veggies. I don't want to necessarily lean on things like rice and potatoes for sides. Just plans to make and execute!

The stretching goal I just fell into though like @karinajean said those Darebee workouts are love! You could start the same one today! Doesn't take much time at all.

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 1 Update

I'm not usually a big one for doing daily updates, especially when the challenge has very few variables to enter though getting still onto the boards is still a goal. First day started like most do nowadays.... a nice long 9 hour workday and had some early morning running around. Those days don't usually bode well for exercise though I did get home, change and get right to my Day 1 of the Toe Touching Challenge. Food not so much tonight (after work it was very much a PB&J kind of night and that's all I'm going to say about that LOL). And as for the money management... I still have a little time tonight to start working on things but that might wait til I have a half day tomorrow or Wednesday.

• Like 5

Week 1 Day 2 Update

So yeah, maybe I'll be a little better at the updates this time around, especially if I have something to say!

Plus I realize that for many (most) you might not know anything about me and are thinking "Why am I looking at these posts?!?" OK Personal History Time!!

I'm a nearly 42 yr old guy from the great state of Michigan, born and bred (minus living in Indiana for about 10 years) in the Shadow of the D (AKA living in the suburbs). Nerd, Geek, Dork, you name it and I'm it and I'm so damn proud of it!!! Gaming, entertainment and general knowledge are just a few of the passions I have and I'm never going to stop learning, watching or listening. Some people may think I'm weird and you know what, that's whom I am and I'm glad. 

So, now back to the challenge.

Today (and last night) we had some improvements. Got my second day in of the 30 Day Challenge and at least for now I'm about a few inches away from actually touching them... maybe if I didn't have something stopping me around the midsection!! Dinner tonight was just a simple night of homemade tacos so I'm putting an asterisk on the home cooking for tonight, it's homemade though I didn't challenge myself. No exercise tonight except for the Challenge so no go there. Last night (when I wasn't able to sleep yet) I did go about and pull my 3 credit reports from the big 3 agencies for free (Yes, you can do that once every 12 months at annualcreditreport.com : knowledge is power!). For the most part I knew everything that was in those reports but it's good to have it right in front of me again and I'll make sure to look at them, every payday, so that I know what I'm working for, what I'm working towards. 

That's how my day went. How about you?! 

1722844534_giphy(1).gif.35d339255dd858557ac4280d4ee3237d.gif

• Like 5

Thanks for the backstory :)  

8 hours ago, Calibre said:

maybe if I didn't have something stopping me around the midsection

Yeah, I have one of those too :D 

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 3 Update

Well today was a day!! Luckily it wasn't a horrible day at work and all but today didn't include the most thoughtful choices.

If you've ever heard of Little Ceaser's Pizza (big up here in Michigan since it was started here) let's just say never have a staring contest against this.... you will lose (well I did!)

https://youtu.be/yCBZtB4EL9I

Managed Day 3 of the 30 Day Challenge so tomorrow I bump up to 40 seconds of leg swings and quad stretches and 15 seconds of going for the toes. Put in some time in the Assassin's PVP Challenge which have been fun in the past so I figured why not. Did weight myself today (pre-pigging out!) and I was at 322.6 which puts me 0.6 lbs up for the year but that's alright, losing 12+ pounds a year is a marathon, not a sprint (thinking of tracking that in my signature). As for dealing with my credit score and finances, it may seem weird but one reason that the finances (in general) are going to get better is that I'm going to now have a loan because of buying a new-ish car!! 2018 Camry with about 37k miles, it was a rental but overall it's a solid car and should last quite a long time so having an auto loan is a great thing to help things out, especially making on time payments and keeping things in order. While working on that I can weed out other things that I've discovered from the credit report and clear things up with my student loans. Small steps but as long as they leave an impression then they are reminders of what you've done. 

Overall had some good stuff but that pizza will haunt me a little. 

10597937_stareoff.gif.352ce5d062143f28dae7fccc1e750743.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Calibre said:

If you've ever heard of Little Ceaser's Pizza

Image result for little caesars pizza pizza

When I was at university, we used to call it Little Sleazers... but we still ate it anyway because it was the cheapest pizza around

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Image result for little caesars pizza pizza

When I was at university, we used to call it Little Sleazers... but we still ate it anyway because it was the cheapest pizza around

LOL yeah on occasion I still do! 

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 4 Update

Not too much to update today and to be honest my spirit isn't into it much today. 

Spoiler

I feel broken. 

To say something honestly that I haven't said out loud before, when I was younger for some reason, I'm not sure if it was to insulate me from moving to the suburbs or to deflect away the comments thrown at me because of being who I am, I tended to bury my emotions. I mean heavily bury my emotions to the point where I would act more like an android than a teenager in junior high. As I've gotten older of course I've gotten more confident to be whom I am and very much express that... but the emotions that are out there are sometimes overwhelming. I feel like I am in good control of my emotions and know how to live with them but then there are days that I feel like I am going to either explode from boiling over or just shrink to the size of an ant because I feel forgotten and meaningless. 

I'm not suicidal yet I'm not glowing with happiness. I feel but I don't want to feel. I don't know what I need nor what I want but I just want to be happy.

TL;DR: Kinda a hard day emotionally.

pfft.gif.9ddcef285c69e4ad1eb3f010b489e511.gif

No exercise except for the Toe Touching Challenge and I did actually manage to touch my toes for the majority of the 15 seconds. No luck on the dinner though I did eat moderately ok with a couple of naked brats and some cheesy cauliflower. Nothing on the money side except it's payday so bills to get paid soon. I think I'm going to find a Darebee plan to do for my workouts during the week for now. 

Hope your challenges are going well.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Calibre said:

TL;DR: Kinda a hard day emotionally.

Ooof, those are some tough feels.  Is this common for you to feel that way, or did it kind of come out of nowhere?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ooof, those are some tough feels.  Is this common for you to feel that way, or did it kind of come out of nowhere?

Not too common but there are days that I have those intense feelings. Most of the time I have things under control. I know that I also do things that aren't really too healthy for my psyche like using comedy for a laugh at my own expense. It's a messed up system.

• Sad 2

Week 1 Day 5 Update

The day may have been a little colder outside but the same could be said about my feelings. I'm still doing alright just not very energetic. Another long day at work with one more left this week tomorrow. These 6 day stretches sometimes are very trying. Dinner tonight is going to be later than I expected and it's going to be pot pie but not homemade so hopefully tomorrow or most likely Sunday that I'll make the homemade meal. Exercise.... well I'm going to be looking up Darebee workouts right after I finish this so with luck I'll find something to do (will keep you all posted) and did the Challenge this morning and still fairly limber but only got to about an inch from my toes this morning. Debt stuff.... well the upside I can report is that my credit score per my credit card is up 30 points since last week so maybe that's a good sign. More updates to be posted on that one later.

• Like 4

Week 1 Day 6 Update (later than usual)

Sunday has come around and there are things to be done but not as of yet. Saturday gave me not many gains for the day. No exercise of any kind and by the time I got home there was so much going on I didn't get to the 30 Day Challenge. Today I'll do Day 6 then catch up with Days 7 and 8 tomorrow. No Darebee routine picked out yet, I tried starting one the other night thinking one focusing on the upper body might be good but my right arm is a little bum due to unknown soreness so need to find something else. Food last night was a ridiculous case of frozen, not properly cooked bullshit so that's how that went. Didn't do any kind of major money spending so that's good on the debt front.

At least for today, Day 7, I've at least gotten some cleaning working so that's something in my win column. Going to have a few misses for the week but what we don't do today is a guide to improvement for next week. Hoping you all are having great progress with your challenges! 

• Like 5

Thanks for the link to Darebee. I'd never heard of them. It's a great resource. I can see me using some of their challenges soon.

Looks like you've have a good week. Some solid wins there. And you've left yourself a couple of things for next week too. Can't be doing it ALL in week 1, eh? ;-)

• Like 2

Week 1 Final Update

Week 1 very much ended with a whimper instead of a roar. Yesterday was a very dull day for many reasons but it did at least give me a chance to rest though I didn't make any good choices except I did manage to do one day of the Challenge so I'm mostly still caught up with that.

Vs. Momentum -- 0/2

Vs. Kung Pao Chicken -- 0/1 (not counting the one day b/c of frozen veggies)

Vs. Money Pit -- Credit Reports Pulled and score +30 pts :encouragement:

Week 2 Day 1 Status

I was doing a lot of running around town on my day off but none of it was very useful to my challenges. I really need to look into some workout that I'll be able to do here in house so I don't have to leave though the complex has a couple fitness rooms. Food today, nothing good. Need to make a plan for that, possibly for tomorrow. As for the money setup, I did happen to manage a couple things with that. I need to get two accounts with a certain major financial organization to merge so I can have all my financial stuff with them under one name and password. The upside is that even though things are separate I'm getting things together more than I ever have. If I could get my credit score above x00 before mid-year I'd be beyond ecstatic! Time will tell on all. Hope your first weeks went really well!

• Like 6

Found you :)

I love that stretching goal you added on and am missing it in your summary numbers, as you should totally list that there! Also love the solid plan on many small steps towards the marathon goals in fitness and finances.

As for the feelings, I can only recommend that you allow them to be without beating yourself up about them. As humans we do go through a big BIG range and especially men train early on to try and control by ignoring or numbing to some of them. The twisted comedy variety is another attempt to put up a shield and as you know, it's not a good one :( So try and be kind to yourself by acknowledging and that alone will help them to flow easier with time. Like being a kind observer, as if it was someone else you were observing and maybe someone innocent, that you would try not to be harsh with. That alone changes soooo much, I promise you! And then if you watch comedy in order to cheer that sad person up, it's a whole different world, see :) 

Cheering for you, you got this!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Calibre said:

I was doing a lot of running around town on my day off but none of it was very useful to my challenges. I really need to look into some workout that I'll be able to do here in house so I don't have to leave though the complex has a couple fitness rooms. Food today, nothing good. Need to make a plan for that, possibly for tomorrow. As for the money setup, I did happen to manage a couple things with that. I need to get two accounts with a certain major financial organization to merge so I can have all my financial stuff with them under one name and password. The upside is that even though things are separate I'm getting things together more than I ever have. If I could get my credit score above x00 before mid-year I'd be beyond ecstatic! Time will tell on all. Hope your first weeks went really well!

Hey, sometimes progress comes in waves! Sometimes you make progress in some areas and don't make progress in others. But the important bit is that you made some progress. Keep pushing!