• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

lucky fire dragon

lucky fire dragon breaks free and remembers to feel awesome

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

maybe just try it out for a few weeks and see how your back likes it? 

 

Yeah... That's the reasonable and thoughtful solution! XD

 

Oh, and: Very nice handstand video! Yay for progress!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sleep on a mattress on the floor but it's a good solid mattress. I've had to sleep on the floor with minimal padding for a while (~8 months), definitely not for me. But I don't like a soft mattress either, I don't sleep well on those.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello LFD! I love your challenge structure! I'm also working on IF and meditating this challenge :) And your snow photos were gorgeous! We haven't really gotten a snowfall here yet and I'm missing it! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Akura said:

 

Yeah... That's the reasonable and thoughtful solution! XD

 

I meant with the mattress on the floor - before buying the futon ;) 

 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Akura said:

 

Oh, and: Very nice handstand video! Yay for progress!

 

Yay :) 

 

On 1/16/2019 at 1:02 AM, annyshay said:

Upside down looks good!

 

Thank you :) 

 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:05 AM, @mu said:

We sleep on a mattress on the floor but it's a good solid mattress. I've had to sleep on the floor with minimal padding for a while (~8 months), definitely not for me. But I don't like a soft mattress either, I don't sleep well on those.

 

That's exactly what I have in mind and very encouraging to hear thanks!

 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

How did I miss this link? Thank you for all the beautiful photos! Love the snow angel. Going to try and catch up on the rest of your challenge now. :love_heart:

 

:lol: no worries, glad to have you here now :love_heart: I am so glad we went when we did!! It was all grey and miserable the days after and today is the first sunny day since but with way less snow. So we hit the magic at the best time. So weird to think that it's probably really hot with you right now :D 

 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:41 AM, Suzaqu said:

Hello LFD! I love your challenge structure! I'm also working on IF and meditating this challenge :) And your snow photos were gorgeous! We haven't really gotten a snowfall here yet and I'm missing it! 

 

Heyyyyyy Suzaqu :cheerful: I've been meaning to track you, too and now you beat me to it :) Thanks. We have a little bit of snow left, should I pack it real tight and send it? Just kidding...

 

2b4b620f2a98ae3eb7d57ff167104e82.gif

 

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

Great video! There's is a perky rope jumper in it too :D

 

Thanks :) Yes, but that's not mine :D mine are all so grown up by now :o I'm the shortest in the family!! Even my 12 year old is slightly taller than me now.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got my second training in for the week, yay :)

 

Very similar to the last ones, just that I upped the weight on the lat pulley to 30kg for the second set, but that got real hard after 8 reps, so maybe I will stick to 25 after all. They just felt too easy :P 

 

Wall handstand is getting sliiiiiiiightly better. Headstand was hard work today from balance but got admired anyhow by the ladies training next to me, so I felt awesome anyhow :D 

All in all a good workout session.

 

-------

 

This week has been a bit of a roller coaster. The ups were more work sessions, which I love and which also went beautifully. Also youngest has such joy in painting and drawing and comes running every so often to share her progress, which is amazing (even though she doesn't always see that, but we're working on that :P ) She got some instruction books on drawing for Christmas and is having a lot of fun with them. What she enjoys even more is using a sponge and water colors for a bright background, taping off some shapes or letters to form a word, that then stands out in white between the sprinkled color. Looks stunning and so cheerful!!

 

The downs were things not working or schedule mix ups and stuff like that, which were a lot this week. Wednesday was the worst. Internet connection gone in the morning and I restarted our router about 5 times, had already set up a phone hot spot, to use for my morning meditation group when at two minutes to six, it suddenly started working again (I start the group at 6am). Oh well, I thought, rough start, but we're rolling... not so much. My boy overslept and I had to take him to school, before setting the room up for my client coming shortly after. No worries, I thought, actually I might as well handle some bank stuff on the way, but turns out the bank machine was out of function.

 

Work went well, so yay on that :)  Afterwards when cleaning the vacuum cleaner stopped working. Doesn't switch on anymore, just died, meh. And it's not even that old. Just old enough to have no guarantee on it anymore.

Then the hospital called to give me the operation time for youngest the next day, with a time around noon, which would have been as expected and enabled youngest to still write the exam her class had in Latin this morning. But 5 minutes later they called again, to say "Oooops, things changed, her turn will be at 8.45 am" There was no way to change that, so I called the school to let them know and got handed on to the headmaster himself, because it caused some real extra work, especially so close before midterm testimonials. Anyway, we worked that out as well and so the day continued. I managed everything that came up and kept my spirits somewhat high as well, but by the evening I just wanted to curl into bed and sleep. Not on, however, as it was the first choir rehearsal since our Christmas concert so off I went of course. Turns out the choir, where youngest went, has to stop as they are too few kids by now, which makes me quite sad for her. Most of the kids are old enough to feel at home in our choir and can join there, but for her even if she would, the time is too late during school nights, so it won't work :( 

Choir was real nice, though and we have some awesome pieces to train for. Also singing always makes any day just so much brighter for me :) Got home at 10.30pm and only meditated at 5am next morning to make up for it.

 

Thursday was the day of the operation of youngest and it took way longer than what they had told us up front. Despite the morning appointment we only got home at 2.30 pm and were both quite exhausted. Shame, she had to spend two hours in the waking room, for them to see if she's okay, and there were some toddlers sharing the room, which were very unhappy after their ops and the one cried straight through for an hour. Difficult for my girl to catch some rest next to her, of course. Despite her body circuits being a bit weak we got her home as soon as possible. As expected she recovered a lot quicker there. Also enjoyed the food more ;) 

 

I took the rest of that day off for myself and yesterday (Friday) I took basically the whole day as a lazy, restful, pathetic day :D Took youngest to the clinic for a check up on her wound, but apart from that and a little bit of housework, that was it. And it was Heaven! I vegetated kind of like this :lol: 

 

giphy.gif

 

Just that I listened to the Sherlock Holmes collection on Audible and drank tea instead. But it was sweet tea and I had some of the gingerbread cookies with it, that we had baked last weekend :P 

 

------

 

Talking about food and cravings - the intermittend fasting came so hard to me this week!! Thursday was easy because of having been stuck at the hospital, but on most other days, I started questioning if I shouldn't make exceptions, is it even working,... bla bla bla, the whole thing

 

I have hit a plateau, I feel, with weight rather going a tiny bit up again and pants not sitting as loose as in between and it got me very frustrated. Now I guess that has more to do with what I eat in between the fasting - there had been quite a few cookies this week and the milk/sugar combination in my teas is not really great for my insulin levels either - but then I also hear a lot that for weight loss the 16:8 rhythm I am using at the moment is too short a fasting window. It's great for maintenance or for improving a whole bunch of things like antioxidants and the like, but for losing fat tissue, a 24 hour or ideally 36 hour fast or longer seems to be more efficient. In other words rather go for 24 hours twice a week and eat normally on the other days, then doing the 16 hour fasts on every day, like I am doing. 

 

This morning I was so down for some reason I was about to toss it all to the wind and give it up altogether. Luckily, hubby noticed and told me straight off: "You have to push through this now!" He told me he can definitely see it working, so that helped a lot and now I am pushing on. In fact I am now sucking it up and will try to do a 24 hour fast today and take my fears out of this thing. It's ridiculous me fretting at all, because if I would really not feel well, I could stop it at any time, so why worry?

 

Anywho, the other track to pursue for today is preparing healthier sweets to treat myself to in the "feasting" hours :) Like homemade chocolate with coconut oil, almond flour, cocoa powder, some sirup and berries or ginger or so. Because I have a suspicion I am lacking the healthy fats still in my diet and I can put lots of good coconut oil into those. Also maybe preboil some eggs to have at hand in the fridge, when I do break the fast and instead of sandwiches as a quick fix, I can go to those eggs along with cheese or avocado or so.

Will have to browse for more ideas here, because clearly the diet the kids enjoy (lots of pasta, rice, sugar bombed cookies) and get away with, is not really that great for me.

 

 

Now to my main two challenge goals, which I neglected horribly this week:

 

- Liberating actions (Suck it up and free myself) were rather small ones and nothing special or even from the dark red points of my to-do-lists, but I'll count most days anyway, (won't count blissfully lazy Friday) because amidst all the things going on, I was sorely tempted to procrastinate on some things and instead did them straight away. Subjectively it was a whole week of sucking it up and I want to acknowledge the effort of that

 

- Fun, adventure actions came even shorter though. I simply did not have the energy for them or even plain forgot. I guess the most fun was watching some Bob Ross with my girl :D can't count that though, because I should have picked up a pencil rather, or brush or whatever and have done something creative myself in order for it to count. So not much there (yet)

Might count the chocolate baking today though :P 

 

So that's it for this week so far. Now I am off to prepare pot roast for my dear ones and see how I am doing on that during the fast and tackle some more of our laundry piles. They sometimes feel to me like leaf piles to Calvin :lol: 

 

29e7b42d8171834b7c1c969b82e77a4a.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Very similar to the last ones, just that I upped the weight on the lat pulley to 30kg for the second set, but that got real hard after 8 reps, so maybe I will stick to 25 after all. They just felt too easy :P 

Stick with the 30 kg! 8 reps is already a lot for strength work, you've got this.

 

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Wall handstand is getting sliiiiiiiightly better. Headstand was hard work today from balance but got admired anyhow by the ladies training next to me, so I felt awesome anyhow :D 

Because you are. :) 

 

Gahhhh what a nightmare day! Kudos to you for powering through it so well. Hope next week will be calmer!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Stick with the 30 kg! 8 reps is already a lot for strength work, you've got this.

 

Will do then :) I did do the 12 reps in the end, it just felt a little too straining on the elbows somehow (?), but then maybe I only do like 8 or 9 in the second set and work my way up. 

I know generally it would probably make more sense to up the weight and do less reps. Just want to make sure I am familiar enough with the move itself before I do that. But it's actually not that hard and as I can tell when my back is straight, I should probably be fine to go a bit heavier. Maybe I should switch to 3 sets of 5 reps instead of 2 sets of 12... so inexperienced at these things.

 

It was too funny, when I started playing with the weight training section I said to hubby in the car: "Maybe I should head over to the warrior guild for a visit. Ah, but then we do have assassins who lift weights as well..." and his facial expression was so funny :lol: only then did I realize how this sentence must sound to a NF muggle :P 

 

On 1/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mad Hatter said:

 

Because you are. :) 

 

Awww, you're so sweet :redface:

 

On 1/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mad Hatter said:

 

Gahhhh what a nightmare day! Kudos to you for powering through it so well. Hope next week will be calmer!

 

 

Thanks! Hope so too :D It actually got way better on the weekend already. Wanted to suck it up and take my boy's bike to the repair shop yesterday, because of the saddle not fitting properly and we thought it's because it was originally on a different bike. It always tilted askew and we simply could not fix it. Had taken it apart and as I assembled it to take it with the bike to the shop, suddenly it was perfectly straight and seems to work fine now :blink: That was very cool!

 

Also having home made chocolate and tea makes up for a loooooot of things ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, Elastigirl said:

Crazy busy day!  I like the idea of you  fixing healthy cookies to snack on

 

Me too :) Made the chocolate and some "monster cookie balls" with oats and peanut butter and they are both really nice :P I was a clever hobbit and added some gingerbread spice to the chocolate to have the treat of the flavor in a power food combo :D 

 

You like baking as well, don't you? Any recommendations for healthy, yummy things?

 

I got over the fasting crisis by now and treated myself to a new book for inspiration and easier motivation that is called "Feast without Fear" encouraging to first fast and then feast with whatever your heart desires with a good conscience. That sounds like a deal to me :) Still, she also says, your body might want different things than before which matches my experience and I suspect that my dietary horizon needs some broadening for me to have diverse enough ideas for what I could want to eat - does make any sense?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also:

 

I DID IT!!!

 

Had my first 36 hour fast this weekend and surprise, surprise it did not kill me :lol: In fact, it didn't even strain me much, I was really surprised. Had a good workout yesterday morning and I don't necessarily feel hungry after those anyway. Had some herbal tea, but apart from that just water for the rest of the day, knowing that if I could last until 8pm I would have the 24 hours in. Then again it would be silly to break the fast at that time, because it would be so easy to go sleep early and have the additional hours in and tadaaa, I did it :triumphant:

 

Even cooked a nice pot roast meal for the family during the fast - making sure there'd be enough left overs for me today :P -  and made my chocolate as well! The hardest thing was not to automatically lick my fingers or nibble some crumbs while cooking, which I am so used to doing. (fyi I do wash my hands after licking my fingers, yes)

Apart from that it was fine!

 

This morning I woke up quite early and felt my empty stomach, but not in a bad way, just ... idk different. I got up at 5 am for my meditation (hmmmm, weekend) and did the Blessing of the Energy Centers one to give my body extra love, afterwards had my group meditation and then I had a true feast in choosing what to have for break-fast at 8 am :)

 

Ended up with 3 baked bananas with some coconut oil and peanut butter, along with some dark bread and tea. Yummmmmmy

 

So I will totally count that for my suck it up action for the day as it did take some willpower and totally freed me up from some fears around the whole thing. My fun thing for today was reading a tiny bit of Petit Nicolas to see how my French lessons on Memrise are paying off. The vocab was way beyond my current course vocab, but I understood a lot anyhow and I adore Petit Nicolas. It was the story about taking a picture of the class at school and how they fetched boxes from the basement to stand on for forming 3 rows and while searching the basement one of the boys finds a bag, pulls it over his head to act ghost and is of course completely black afterwards because it was a coal bag (I guessed the coal, but understood the bag and the black face) and so on... 

Youngest is doing her English and Latin vocab with some ambition now to stay ahead of me in points on Memrise, double win :D 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

So weird to think that it's probably really hot with you right now :D 

It has been extremely hot, but funny enough over the weekend it was just nice, and most times cloudy and later turned cold. I think we are starting to get our "change of season" weather. The humidity is lifting, and the temperatures are coming down (25-mid30C, not 40+), so it is actually nice.

10 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Had my first 36 hour fast this weekend and surprise, surprise it did not kill me :lol:

Wow, that is a seriously long time! :loyal:

10 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

(fyi I do wash my hands after licking my fingers, yes)

;):D

10 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Youngest is doing her English and Latin vocab with some ambition now to stay ahead of me in points on Memrise, double win :D 

Some friendly competition there. :D

 

It is really interesting to read about your experience with the fasting and food choices afterwards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 8:16 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Had my first 36 hour fast this weekend and surprise, surprise it did not kill me :lol: 

Congratulations!

You know, some years ago, my boyfriend used to do short fasts, 1 day tops, and he loved them. He said he specially liked the freedom of having one whole day for his stuff, instead of having the pace of the day marked by the cooking and eating moments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that was a crazy week! Awesome job on the fast, especially while making pot roast! I'm doing 16:8 right now, but the idea of the 24 hour fast has always been tempting. What timing are you think you'll do for the 24 hour ones? I can't wait to hear how it goes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

It has been extremely hot, but funny enough over the weekend it was just nice, and most times cloudy and later turned cold. I think we are starting to get our "change of season" weather. The humidity is lifting, and the temperatures are coming down (25-mid30C, not 40+), so it is actually nice.

 

mmmmh, that sounds like perfect summer to me :) 

 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Wow, that is a seriously long time! :loyal:

 

It does, doesn't it? Now that I've done it though, it doesn't seem so big at all anymore and the 24h are way less scary 

 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

 

Some friendly competition there. :D

 

Yip ^_^ That's the idea. In fact it's the main reason I picked up my French courses there :lol: 

 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

It is really interesting to read about your experience with the fasting and food choices afterwards.

 

I love experimenting and I find that curiosity helps me in so many ways tackle things with more ease and health. Funny enough the chocolate and cookies I made took a while before I even had any :P Yesterday I dug into some cookies, they were quite nice - the rest is in the deep freeze for now.

Hubby tried the chocolate and actually liked it! I was very surprised, because he normally likes his chocolate way sweeter than I make it. He said we mustn't let the kids try for fear they would eat it all up :lol: I am not worried. Am just secretly wondering if I am retraining his taste slowly over time... first the mattress green light and now this. Wonders never cease.

 

Talking about the mattress WE DID IT!! Finally, it's on the floor and we slept now 2 nights on it, finding it indeed much better for our backs and slept well. Hubby says it feels a little like camping, lying so low down in the room and it is really weird still, but in a bad way at all.

 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:58 PM, annyshay said:

Congrats on the fast! 

 

Thanks! It was very rewarding too. Had a full kg less the next morning and I thought, it's probably mostly water and will be back on quickly but so far I am staying at the lower weight. Am very surprised and not complaining :) Renewed my spirits very much.

 

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

Congratulations!

You know, some years ago, my boyfriend used to do short fasts, 1 day tops, and he loved them. He said he specially liked the freedom of having one whole day for his stuff, instead of having the pace of the day marked by the cooking and eating moments.

 

True! That is a huge freedom. I don't have that altogether just yet, as I cook for the family and have to make sure the kids get their breakfast in and have their snack packed for school, but even so I have more time and freedom already.

 

Also it feels really liberating to be independent of something that you always thought you can't do without. I like that part too. Kind of like when you learn to hold your breath for some time and reach a point where you feel clear and light and totally at peace without breathing. Which always amazed me so much, that of course after those moments I suddenly felt the urge to breathe again :P do you know what I mean?

Similar here. At times it's totally nice and then when I think, now I've got it, I find myself planning the next meals instead :lol: which is fine as well. I really like the concept of fasting and feasting 

 

dragons_riders_of_berk_by_mr_lord_shen_f

 

4 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Wow, that was a crazy week! Awesome job on the fast, especially while making pot roast! I'm doing 16:8 right now, but the idea of the 24 hour fast has always been tempting. What timing are you think you'll do for the 24 hour ones? I can't wait to hear how it goes!

 

Thanks, I am really chuffed and it completely resparked my motivation :) 
Well life came towards me and brought on a cold that pretty much killed my appetite soooooooo I went for 20 hours into yesterday, having skipped supper the night before without aiming to. Then I had a late breakfast plus lunch yesterday and am now aiming for lasting until lunch again to have the 24 hours as planned. Lunch to lunch might be easiest for me as that is our main family meal and I can fill up properly plus eat with my dear ones. On weekends it sometimes switches to dinner, so I might do it different there.

With the 16:8 I learned to feel good without food during the morning and that helps me now. However I don't want to fix the meal times when I do eat to much alike, not that come lunch I will automatically be hungry, just because of the time. Variety in schedule might be my friend here, we'll see.

 

How long have you been doing the 16:8 now? How do you like it?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short updates so far:

 

Monday:

 

- meditation went well

- fasting was more than planned and as it feels good, I call it a happy accident

 

- suck it up action was looking into the logistics for my upcoming silent retreat end of April and it triggered quite a load of stress as I am lacking participants, but the venue is counting on me coming. If I have to cancel it, I should do so soon, while cancellation fee is still manageable, but it would be very sad for me to cancel and I should probably just get more advertising out. In case you haven't noticed yet, I am not very good at selling my expertise, so I hate that part and do too little on it. I keep hoping that word of mouth will do it for me, but it doesn't. People who attended so far always loved it and often tell me months later how they are still benefiting from it, so I don't understand why they don't send their friends, but then again there are so many offers of events out there, people probably don't even have time. idk

Decided uncountable times that day, to not let myself wallow in it but face it and rise to the challenge, and by seeing how hard that is I can seel how needed it is and how much I have to grow in this regard still. I chatted to a friend who is a good business person and knows me well enough and asked for his advice. He recommended I record a video message and sent it out to my list, with a special offer for those who sign up within the next 10 days and juice it up by listing all the benefits people get out of it. I thought, great I'll do that, only to come down with a proper cold and my voice is, well, not the sexiest at the moment ;) sooooooo maybe no video message right now :P 

Not sure if I somehow created that to get around the video message as I have very mixed feelings around it. Gaaaah, why is marketing so hard?!

 

- fun thing was shifting the mattress finally onto the floor as mentioned before and so far we both really like it. Youngest now thinks, she has such a weird family :lol: she is the only one sleeping in a bed now (her brother prefers the mattress on the floor as well) and says it's so awkward because she knows no one else who sleeps on the floor. Teenage problems for real, poor her :D 

 

no training yet as I went instead to get some errands done and buy a new vacuum cleaner to replace the broken one among other things

 

------------------

 

Tuesday:

 

- meditation was tricky as my mind was all over the place about the retreat planning

- fasting came easy due to the cold

 

- suck it up action was doing some calls and emails that had been waiting, plus getting my planned work done despite feeling quite under the weather. It's mostly throat and chest that are infected, with some dull feeling in the head as well and overall fatigue, but as the day went on, I ended up doing everything I had planned, except my workout. So yay on that

 

I did not have the energy to come up with a juice newsletter about the retreat just yet, meh

 

- fun thing was tackling some embroidery. I had started on a dragon shape long ago and picked it up only to decide I had made the crosses to far across (it was going to end up huge!) and that it will look much better more condensed, so I spent the whole evening undoing it :hopelessness: but hey, I had needle and thread in my hands! Now I only need to decide if I still want to that same dragon or rather something else and then what to do with the cloth afterwards (meaning practical use) and am running a slight risk of decision paralysis :P 

 

still no training 

 

-----------------

 

Wednesday (today, so just started)

New day new dawn :)

 

Meditation was very distracted, only the group meditation had me focus properly.

But a win was that at 4am I thought surely this cold gives me an excuse to lie in and do it later... instead I asked myself if that was the inertia loving body-mind talking here or conscious, free-will mind. The answer was pretty clear, so I decided I got this and I won't let the lazy habits of my body run my life and that I'd probably get more rejuvenation out of my meditation than out of the crappy dream sleep that was likely to follow at this time in the morning anyway. Hah!

 

bitch-please-i-got-this.jpg

 

And it did rejuvenate, too, despite all the thoughts being all over the place (yeah I know this battle is far from over, but there too I won't give up and just grow stronger until I have some control over my mind as well) So all in all I count that as one of those wins that seem smaller and are quicker forgotten than they deserve.

 

My fun thing for today might be a salt bath with vigorous rubbing to get my circulation flowing and then napping for an hour, hoping it will get me sweating all the illness out and get better quicker. Later I have the lady coming, who cleans for us once a week and will have to suck it up and tell her, we will have to let her go :( Our budget is just too tight at the moment and while hubby always said that is the wrong place to cut down on, even he could see that if we put the money aside that we pay her, it would actually go a long way towards our summer holiday with the kids and that is a wonderful motivation to do the cleaning ourselves. If I had more work, we'd have the budget, but as it is at the moment, I have more time than money and then it seems silly to pay someone for something I can do myself. We will all miss her though, and not just for the cleaning, she is a most wonderful woman.

 

Oh, on the work front there are some good news as well!! Yesterday the company contacted me, where I am scheduled to teach meditation for a course of 4 weeks next month and so many of their employees signed up for it, we have to divide them into 2 groups, meaning I get to work twice as much there as planned, squeeeeeee

I held an introductory workshop at their firm in autumn last year and they obviously liked it well enough :) 

Now I am a bit nervous and very, very excited!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Gaaaah, why is marketing so hard?!

Because you're a humble person and don't like to sell yourself "so to speak". The video sounds like a great idea, however.

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Talking about the mattress WE DID IT!! Finally, it's on the floor and we slept now 2 nights on it, finding it indeed much better for our backs and slept well. Hubby says it feels a little like camping, lying so low down in the room and it is really weird still, but in a bad way at all.

We also like our bed more on the hard/sturdy side than soft, and that was the base-set I bought a good couple years ago. And funny enough, since the boys' bunk beds broke (years ago) Rocco has been sleeping on his mattress on the floor (we fixed the bed, but he refuses to sleep on it), and he loves it. I think Adam is the only one who still likes a bed more on the soft side.

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Later I have the lady coming, who cleans for us once a week and will have to suck it up and tell her, we will have to let her go :( 

*hugs* know that feeling. I've been pondering this situation with us as well. My lady really helps me a lot, but nowadays I have so much cleaning that I have to do by myself anyway, and it will save us so much money. But I'll have even less time for myself.

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh, on the work front there are some good news as well!! Yesterday the company contacted me, where I am scheduled to teach meditation for a course of 4 weeks next month and so many of their employees signed up for it, we have to divide them into 2 groups, meaning I get to work twice as much there as planned, squeeeeeee

Oh well done! Congratulations!

 

You are doing so well, and growing so strong of mind. What an inspiration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

In case you haven't noticed yet, I am not very good at selling my expertise, so I hate that part and do too little on it. I keep hoping that word of mouth will do it for me, but it doesn't. People who attended so far always loved it and often tell me months later how they are still benefiting from it, so I don't understand why they don't send their friends, but then again there are so many offers of events out there, people probably don't even have time. idk

I think a lot of people have trouble with this. I have no advice on it, sorry, since I have never been a free-lancer.

I have, however, teached a couple of summer courses, and yes, there are people that will end the course and tell you not only that they enjoyed it and that they learnt a lot but that they're ready to come back next time, and then you hear nothing of them. And I think it's normal, because as you say, there is a lot of offer out there, and they might be interested in what they learnt but want to go to other places with other people.

As for why don't they tell friends and so. Maybe they tell but their friends are not interested, or already have their places to go, or don't have the money, or a thousand reasons. I don't think it is worth it to spend much thought on this part, better save your energy for the promotion.

What have you been doing so far? Maybe if you tell us we can think of other ways to promote yourself.

 

Hope you're feeling better from your cold? Did your bathing-rubbing-napping-sweating strategy work?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, zenLara said:

 As for why don't they tell friends and so. Maybe they tell but their friends are not interested, or already have their places to go, or don't have the money, or a thousand reasons. I don't think it is worth it to spend much thought on this part, better save your energy for the promotion.

This!

 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

I know generally it would probably make more sense to up the weight and do less reps. Just want to make sure I am familiar enough with the move itself before I do that. But it's actually not that hard and as I can tell when my back is straight, I should probably be fine to go a bit heavier. Maybe I should switch to 3 sets of 5 reps instead of 2 sets of 12... so inexperienced at these things.

I don't know anything about programming, so if you want specific help I'd maybe post elsewhere or get a trainer to put something together for you. Either way I wouldn't overthink it, in the beginning especially the most important thing is to just do the thing, do it as consistently as possible, and increase the difficulty over time. :) The rep ranges are not fixed, sometimes focusing on low reps/high intensity will bring the most benefit, sometimes more volume is more beneficial. It all depends on your body, your recovery,  your goals, what kind of exercise it is etc. More than 10-12 reps tends more towards the endurance territory and probably a little less useful than a slightly lower rep range. Another way of thinking about it is to increase the volume slightly over time and then increase the load. So you'd start with say 3x5, work up to 5x8 (completely arbitrary numbers!), increase the intensity, be it load or increased BW progression) and then drop down to 3x5 and repeat. That's basically the GMB method. Or you can try the starting strength model and stick to one rep scheme like 5x5 and gradually increase the load while keeping the volume the same. The first method is a little bit more flexible, but the second is perhaps simpler? Either way, the important thing is to do *something*! :) As long as you work your body it will get stronger.

 

Also yay for sleeping on the floor! :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Because you're a humble person and don't like to sell yourself "so to speak". The video sounds like a great idea, however.

 

 that is a very kind explanation so I like it a lot :lol: am afraid it also has to do with a little lack of clarity in phrasing though or maybe some mental block, but in any case I WILL get there

 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

We also like our bed more on the hard/sturdy side than soft, and that was the base-set I bought a good couple years ago. And funny enough, since the boys' bunk beds broke (years ago) Rocco has been sleeping on his mattress on the floor (we fixed the bed, but he refuses to sleep on it), and he loves it. I think Adam is the only one who still likes a bed more on the soft side.

 

Cool, doesn't that confirm how natural it is? We are definitely sleeping better and the lower back pain I sometimes had during my morning meditations is completely gone, woot woot

 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

*hugs* know that feeling. I've been pondering this situation with us as well. My lady really helps me a lot, but nowadays I have so much cleaning that I have to do by myself anyway, and it will save us so much money. But I'll have even less time for myself.

 

Thanks for the hugs and empathy. I nearly cried, but am happy for her at the same time as she works as a cook 5 days a week, sometimes 6 and on the other day goes cleaning, so this means she might actually have a day off. She could afford it, just didn't want to drop us because when she came to Germany 5 or 6 years ago, we were among the first to give her a job.

Am thinking I might split it up over several days, like cleaning the bathrooms twice a week (which they would have needed already, but I never did that second time, so they only got cleaned once a week, when our "rescue angel" came ;) and cleaning the floors on other days, maybe even spread over two days a week, and uncluttering / deep cleaning a small area as I go along... will have to see how much reality comes from all the enthusiastic planning :lol: 

 

Shame, I am sorry to hear that, you have so much on your hands already!! At least we are getting movement in that way, so you could deload your workouts on those days :) 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh well done! Congratulations!

 

You are doing so well, and growing so strong of mind. What an inspiration.

 

Thank youuuuu

 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, zenLara said:

I think a lot of people have trouble with this. I have no advice on it, sorry, since I have never been a free-lancer.

I have, however, teached a couple of summer courses, and yes, there are people that will end the course and tell you not only that they enjoyed it and that they learnt a lot but that they're ready to come back next time, and then you hear nothing of them. And I think it's normal, because as you say, there is a lot of offer out there, and they might be interested in what they learnt but want to go to other places with other people.

As for why don't they tell friends and so. Maybe they tell but their friends are not interested, or already have their places to go, or don't have the money, or a thousand reasons. I don't think it is worth it to spend much thought on this part, better save your energy for the promotion.

 

I'm sure you're right on this. That's what I suspect as well and I was just venting my frustration a bit, sorry for that.

 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, zenLara said:

What have you been doing so far? Maybe if you tell us we can think of other ways to promote yourself.

 

That is very kind of you and that question is a valid one. Now that you ask I am embarrassed how obvious it is how little I do :o 

There is my website and I have a newsletter list of about 300 people whom I send a newsletter to once a month. About half of them actually read it and I am told that is a good quota, which seems weird to me but there it is. I also get positive feedback on those newsletters regularly, but the list is not growing really and apart from that I have nothing else right now.

 

I used to lie out postcard size ads for my retreats at a few places like the local bookstore that specializes in spirituality and therefor has matching clientele, but I need to reprint and am in analysis paralysis again about the phrasing of the text on it.

 

Found an alternative though, hah! One of my clients drafts texts for the websites of businesses (as part of a complete web design package) and I have now reached out to her and she is very happy to help me re-phrase the parts of my website that I feel need less fluffy language and help me with the ad phrasing as well, yay :) In exchange I will treat her for the things she would have come for anyway and tadaa win-win. I am sooooo happy for that help, I can't even tell you.

 

Also the venue where I am hosting the retreat offered to list my event on their website. For anyone signing on through them they receive a 10% commission of the course fee, which I am very happy to pay them. I sucked it up today and sent a text and pic to them and updated the retreat information on my website as well in a way that feels somewhat clearer to me. It's a work in progress though as it is still way too long in text (the description on my own website, the one I sent to them is short enough). But now I have an ally and the best thing is, she has attended one of those retreats before, so she knows exactly what they entail.

 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, zenLara said:

 

Hope you're feeling better from your cold? Did your bathing-rubbing-napping-sweating strategy work?

Soso. The bath was definitely good, but the cold is still dragging on, meh. My head is a lot better by now and I got a workout in yesterday, but my voice is still strained and the cough is persistent. Patience seems to be needed sigh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

       

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't know anything about programming, so if you want specific help I'd maybe post elsewhere or get a trainer to put something together for you. Either way I wouldn't overthink it, in the beginning especially the most important thing is to just do the thing, do it as consistently as possible, and increase the difficulty over time. :) The rep ranges are not fixed, sometimes focusing on low reps/high intensity will bring the most benefit, sometimes more volume is more beneficial. It all depends on your body, your recovery,  your goals, what kind of exercise it is etc. More than 10-12 reps tends more towards the endurance territory and probably a little less useful than a slightly lower rep range. Another way of thinking about it is to increase the volume slightly over time and then increase the load. So you'd start with say 3x5, work up to 5x8 (completely arbitrary numbers!), increase the intensity, be it load or increased BW progression) and then drop down to 3x5 and repeat. That's basically the GMB method. Or you can try the starting strength model and stick to one rep scheme like 5x5 and gradually increase the load while keeping the volume the same. The first method is a little bit more flexible, but the second is perhaps simpler? Either way, the important thing is to do *something*! :) As long as you work your body it will get stronger.

         
Good news!! I got an ally for this too :) Helpers all around it seems nowadays, I like it ^_^ I was trying out renegade rows at the gym thinking I must include my upper back a bit more and the owner came running to correct my form :D didn't realize I was that off, but am very comforted by him being so attentive and he was real nice about it as well. Anyway it made me ask him about some of the options afterwards and also how much it would cost for him to create an individual training plan for me and it turns out, that is included in our membership to start with! How cool is that?! So now both hubby and me have an appointment for Monday morning, when the coach will put together a routine with and for each of us and guide us through each exercise to make sure our form is correct. I am soooo excited!! This will get me nicely strong for sure :)
 

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also yay for sleeping on the floor! :D 


Such a good choice!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now