• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kharissandra

Chapter 5: Monks and Fortresses

Kharissandra had spent the better portion of 2 months visiting Elra Brinston and trying out the new ritual they had come up with. After that owlbear attack, she realized she needed to be more careful than ever. She was only beginning to get a handle on the magic; every evening, as she began the ritual, her mind was prone to jumping from one thing to the next. For a long while she would get up and head for the door right in the middle; and then, of course, they had to start it over again. Thankfully, Elra was a very patient sort of person. And the 2 months of work was finally beginning to show the first signs of success. Not only that, but she wasn't falling out of quite so many trees anymore, thanks to the time spent with Clemnos in the mornings. 

As she started the path back toward the training yard, Khari heard what began as a murmer and grew into a veritable din the closer she came. In the middle of Clemnos' yard, a brawl had broken out. A monk was holding the field against all comers, and wasn't showing any signs of tiring. Kharissandra arrived in time to see her fighting three rangers at once, disarming each neatly with a series of hand-to-hand maneuvers. Khari had heard of monks--masters of unarmed combat and nigh-unachievable wisdom--but she had expected their fighting style to be much flashier. An image out of the theater came to mind. But this was deadly precision of movement, no extra flairs, no excess effort expended. At the end of her fight, the monk laughed good-naturedly, then bellowed a challenge. "Surely, good rangers, you are as formidable as I had heard. My order praises you as worthy opponents. And yet, these forests are treacherous. Is there not one yet better than these whom I have fought, someone to face me in challenge and succeed?" A quiet murmer echoed between the trees, but no one stood to face the stranger. The monk nodded. "I see. Very well then. I will return tomorrow." A collective intake of breath. "And every day, until one of you defeats me. These are dangerous times, my friends." She raised a hand in farewell, then simply walked off, stepping nimbly over the array of discarded weapons she had knocked from her opponents' hands. 

Khari looked on in amazement. She knew she didn't have the skill to face such a warrior. At least...not as of yet. Kharissandra watched her new challenge simply walk out of the ranger's forest. One day, soon, she would challenge that monk to a duel. And she would win. 

Good evening, my dear adventurers! I hope you all had a lovely holiday season and have come back newly invigorated!

I have come, as I'm sure you've by now guessed, to declare my challenge for this first challenge of the new year! :D 

Firstly, to maintain the nutritional and training habits that I built up over previous challenges! 

That is, keep eating at Level 7 Paleo-ish (faux-grains + rice + legumes are okay sometimes, dairy is rare at most, added sweetener, if any, is honey or maple syrup, drinks are non-caloric, and mostly food is veggies, fruits, and protein); and working on bodyweight training and running 4-6 times per week. As with other challenges, I'm giving myself 3 meal passes and 2 drink passes. (Sometimes, you really need a non-dairy cappuccino to get through the mental barriers to your goals, you know?) This system has served me well so far, but to really challenge myself, I decided one of my goals this year is to run an Adventure Race. So I'm looking for one to sign up for and train toward! Also, I'm doing something I feel kind of...*ahem* terrified about. I'm giving myself a consequence for slacking off. I bet my best friend/archnemesis $100 per week that I would keep up with the working out thing as outlined above. Well, more like I gave her $400 of my money and told her if I don't work out 4-6 times every week, she gets to keep it. OH BOY.

Secondly, to get that sleep ritual thing down!

My body has figured out that it goes to bed around 10, as a solid wall of sleepy has started hitting me in the face at precisely 9:30pm every night since the last challenge ended. Go figure, guess something's working! I'm going to keep using the ritual I designed to get to bed by 10pm, at the fewest 6/7 days of the week. 

Thirdly, to declutter the papers and books in my life by challenge-end!

I recently cleared all the books I rarely or never read off my bookshelf, and I want to get them out of the house (before I can chicken out and change my mind)! I'm also wading through all the papers I kept from school and trying to deal with them. I have 4 weeks; I'm not dealing with this pile of trash after this month! I have to deal with at least 1 item (1 paper or 1 book) per day. 

Finally, to study using Duolingo for 15 minutes, every day. 

Like the others, every day is at least 6 days out of the week, but I'm going to see how long I can keep my streak (currently, I've studied every day for 17 days straight.) I'm learning Japanese and Portuguese (Brazilian variety). It's hard, but I love learning languages! I took a harmless little jaunt into Steve's book, and now I feel like I need to do this. XD (Real life actually has a decent reason for this btw. My sister and brother-in-law live in Japan, in a Brazilian Japanese community. I'm not going to go over there to visit and constantly need translations; also, someday I'm going to be an aunt. I absolutely refuse to be sassed by my nieces/nephews/etc in 3 languages!)

I had some major trouble picking these quests. I probably wrote out a new list around 4-6 times before narrowing it down to these. My counselor wants me to sit in silence for 15 minutes every day. I want to start making my bed every morning. A part of me is screaming that I need to start a morning ritual to go with the evening one, and I'm trying to follow a friend's advice to start doing 2 minutes worth of planks every day. (I think I'll just add them to the strength workouts I do and see how it goes on the off-days). But I also know that right now, everything feels extra-doable due to the New Year Powerup (+10 fading endurance). 

So there are my quests. Just 4, rather than 8 or so. :) Oh and something I noticed over the break: now that it's January, everybody is scrambling to get fit. (You should have seen the park on New Year's Day!) All my friends who normally eat all the snacks at work and sleep in are suddenly open to new ways to achieve their goals. And I reacted to these new people desiring the fit life like a Pokemon trainer. 

Gotta catch em all!

Basically, I started sharing resources and inspiration with everybody who told me their goal was to start getting fit. Now is the time to rake in all those party members who didn't really want to join our quests back in October, and certainly not in December. Now they're also powered up; but maybe with friends who are doing it too, their "resolutions" will turn into real resolve. Gotta catch em all. :D

I'll edit this to story-ify it in the morning. I've already stayed up too late (I underestimated how long it would take to do the dishes and forgot the catbox hadn't been done yet; I've devised a few debuffs and I'm coming up with some treasure chests for inspiration, but I'll elaborate tomorrow. Good run today, and other than a little sneaky sugar that showed up in my dinner, I did well staying on plan food-wise. I managed to declutter one paper despite starting late and being low on time. May not seem like much, but it's at least something. :) ) Guess I'll just get to bed on time for the rest of the week instead. 

• Like 4

Great job at slimming the challenges down. I feel you on that one. I always have a zillion things I want to, and find it  hard to focus. But it really does help. When I have a long list of challenges, I tend to get overwhelmed, and not really focus on anything

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

f, I decided one of my goals this year is to run an Adventure Race. So I'm looking for one to sign up for and train toward!

Ohhh! That's really exciting! Really can't wait to see what you go in for! 

• Like 1

The monk kept her word, returning every morning and fighting all comers; when they had all been disarmed, she would stay a few minutes, explain and demonstrate a technique she had used, and then walk back into the forest. After a week of this, even the best-natured of the rangers were getting frustrated, and although the monk could clearly keep doing this all year if she wanted, it seemed she had a different idea. After the usual fighting, rather than launching into another combat lesson, the monk raised a hand. Then raised her voice for everyone in the fighting yard to year.

"Good watchmen of the forests, I have not come to you merely to trade combat techniques and improve the skills you once rested so confident in. Our order has uncovered a prophecy in our ancient texts which may, if no action is taken, threaten the lives of many. We wish to share what we may with you all; however, we acknowledge that most of you must stay here and fulfill the calling to which you answered. But is there even one among you who would go along with me, to the Temple of the Emerald Rune, and learn what we know and what can be done?"

This was rare; even the newest rangers had heard about the Emerald Rune, the order founded on ancient texts, written in a language so powerful they could not be read aloud. It was said that those who joined the Rune were the deadliest warriors in history; that they studied all their lives to read the order's scrolls, but could only withstand the writing by a constant practice of unarmed combat, their unique flavor of meditation. 

Kharissandra found herself standing in the midst of the training yard in front of the monk, alone. She could feel dozens of eyes on her. "If it's as dire as it sounds, we can't afford to delay. I will go with you." Her voice only shook a bit when she added, "And I will bring back what I learn." The monk smiled, then turned and walked back into the forest. This time, Kharissandra followed. 

Good morning adventurers! I've added to the story as promised, for those of you following along at home. I've missed the boost of the creative expression. I woke up with the sniffles today, so I drank a couple health potions while I typed that up. Also as promised, here are the extra tid-bits I've added to the challenge to further motivate myself. Who doesn't love a good reward? (OR a terrible fall to the brink of total destruction?) It stirs the blood XD. 

Debuffs

--As mentioned above, I gave one of my archnemeses $400. Any week I don't meet my 4-6 workout quota, she gets to keep $100 (to take over the galaxy, build her laser canon, pay for evil monologue voice lessons, hire henchpersons, etcetera). 

--Combined with Treasure Chest: sleep (see below)

Treasure Chests

--Sleep: I devised a point system (based on @Elastigirl's suggestion--Thank you!). At the end of the week, points are tallied. (5 minutes early or late = 0 pts; 6-10 minutes late = -1 pt. 10+ minutes late = -2 pt. 6-10 minutes early = +1 pt. and 10+ minutes early = +2 pt.) For every week I end in the red, I tally the points and re-allocate $1 from my personal (read: FUN) budget fund into my loans. (will $3 or $4 make a substantial extra dent in my loans? No. Will it feel pointless and stupid? Probably. Will the pointless stupidity of it all be motivating? YOU BET). However, for every week I keep my goal and/or land in the green (read: make up for it lol), I get to put $5 of that personal fund toward a trip I'm taking on February 8-9. Definitely more complicated than it needs to be. We'll see how it holds up as a reward system. :D

--Paleo: every 2 weeks I'm spot-on with maintaining, I get a night off. It's been ages since I sat down and watched a movie. Read a book with a cup of tea (rather than while scarfing a snack on break). Took a bubblebath. The Saturday before the challenge, I took a hike in the middle of nowhere and refused to talk to anybody for about 12 hours (other than check-in texts to let someone know where I was). I came home exhausted (10 hours of mostly-hiking mostly-cliff areas with occasional stops for driving to the next spot, eating lunch beside a waterfall or waiting for the hikers who found your phone will do that to a person). But it was also the best day I've had in a while. No guilting, no email, just meditation in motion. It was incredible. I need to take more days like that.

--Decluttering: here's a weird one. I'm a crazy medieval nerd, and I sometimes go to medieval events and dance and take classes on things like Viking knitting. (But honestly? Mostly bug the fighters to show me how you're using that buckler please, and TONS of dancing.) Anyway, I've been eyeing a veil since I went to my last event. For one thing, my hair is done pretending it's anything resembling historically accurate. For another, veils are pretty and floaty and give you +10 to elegance. SO all this to say, when I finish decluttering the papers and giving away the books, I'm taking some of the money I've saved for my clothing fund and I'm buying myself a veil. Probably handkerchief-weight silk or cotton. I will send pictures when I procure it. I'm very excited to declutter suddenly.

These treasure-chests brought to you by: lists like this one (https://www.yesandyes.org/2015/10/rewards-that-arent-food-or-shopping.html) and the fact that my budget tightened considerably after Christmas. Which means I'm not spending the money (I feel like I need to save ALL of it) and giving myself the permission to spend it feels like a reward. I haven't figured out what I can reward myself for for keeping a Duolingo streak going. Mainly that's because I don't have anything else in my budget that I can play with to "pay myself back". Maybe take myself to a meeting of the other medieval nerds in my area. :) We'll see. I'm gonna go running now. It suddenly seems....very important to meet my goals. 

• Like 3

Hey, y'all.

So it's about midnight again. I'm starting to wonder if I will just have to give this goal of getting adequate sleep up. Or give up friends. Because nothing I do seems to get me to control myself when there are other people involved. Yesterday I even managed to get to bed 15 minutes early. I was on track to reach my goal and it was the first time I've been early in months. I was so flipping excited. 

But then tonight, I went out for pizza with friends (planned break and all that) and, earlier today, I had offered them cookies afterwards. It was a little after 9 when we got back; they shouldn't have taken a good 35-40 minutes to bake, but for some reason, they did. And by then, friends were antsy and horsing around, because they're night people. And I couldn't get rid of them until 10:30, because promising and then baking cookies is really just wrong if you're going to send people home without cookies afterward. I'm disappointed enough I could actually cry. Even with as much as I love cookies, it wasn't worth them. And to top it all off, my phone is outside. With my meditation app. And my alarm clock. And my audiobooks (which are the real way I shut my brain off enough to sleep at night when I don't stay up until I literally pass out from exhaustion.) 

But I got some decluttering done. And I got an application in that I've been really anxious over. And I worked out this morning (indoors, because it was 19 degrees F and snowing this morning, and cold metal bars were a hard no). And I'm on a roll with Duolingo. I've even been doing planks every day all week. 

I'm just sad and disappointed. I wish I could talk myself out of this. I was doing really well, and I just feel pretty defeated. It'll be better in the morning. At least, I hope so.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

I'm just sad and disappointed. I wish I could talk myself out of this. I was doing really well, and I just feel pretty defeated. It'll be better in the morning. At least, I hope so.

I'm sorry. :( Don't give up though! Maybe you just need to adjust your goal instead of letting it go entirely. Maybe instead of starting off with going to bed early 6 days a week, you start off a little smaller with 1 or 2 instead, and give yourself a few free passes to stay up late, that way if your friends want to hang out late, you can do that and not feel guilty about it. And if not and you're able to get to bed earlier than you planned, you can count it as doing extra.     

You can do it!

• Like 1

Can confirm, it was much better in the morning. 

I accomplished every goal I had for yesterday, save one. I even accomplished a goal that wasn't on the list (finishing an application). And today I'm all set to hit my sleep goal too (and I managed the others as well) so maybe it's not as dire as it looked in the middle of the night. (If I score an extra point tomorrow, I'll be back in the green!) More story coming soon, but tonight I'm gonna get some sleep! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kharissandra said:

Can confirm, it was much better in the morning. 

I accomplished every goal I had for yesterday, save one. I even accomplished a goal that wasn't on the list (finishing an application). And today I'm all set to hit my sleep goal too (and I managed the others as well) so maybe it's not as dire as it looked in the middle of the night. (If I score an extra point tomorrow, I'll be back in the green!) More story coming soon, but tonight I'm gonna get some sleep! 

Knew you could do it. :)

Image result for you're awesome gif

• Like 2

The monk led Kharissandra out of the Rangers' Forest and deep into the mountains. Although silent as they hiked the ever inclining trail, Kharissandra found that her companion was a very pleasant person to talk with over a shared smoked sausage. Aliza Stone had joined the Rune years ago, but was only beginning to learn the ancient language of her order. When Kharissandra asked why she had come daily to fight the rangers, rather than just ask for aid, Aliza thought for a few moments before answering. "I was sent to find an adventurer worthy to unbind the magic surrounding the prophecy. But none of you train your spirits in combat as we do; for your comrades, it was simply a physical exercise." Aliza shrugged. 

"Is that why they all lost?"

Aliza shrugged again. "It may be so;" she cracked a grin. "Or I may simply be more practiced than they. I was just using a few basic maneuvers we teach the novices when they arrive."  Aliza must have read the discomfort on Khari's face; she quickly added " Don't misunderstand, they fought well. I only wonder, how often do you train against varied fighting styles? With people outside your barracks?"

"Well, our fighting style is versatile--"

"It is, it is. But fighting only physically against an unknown opponent can be prohibitively difficult. And I have the advantage of fighting with body and spirit. It's little wonder they lost." And before Kharissandra could reply, Aliza stood and began to jaunt back up the mountain. Khari scrambled to catch up (in more ways than one), but finally voiced her most pressing question as they crested a ridge. 

"So what makes you think I have a chance with this prophecy of yours?"

Aliza stopped to consider again. "You are new among the rangers, are you not?" To Khari's nod, she continued, "You have not solidified your new lifestyle fully within you. You're distracted, you're still a bit awkward in your maneuvers. You aren't fully confident in the strikes you land, and you aren't defeated the moment you're knocked down. You have a better than average chance of training your spirit to match your body." And then she was off again, down into the next valley, placing one nimble foot in front of the other and practically gliding down the trail. It was too bad Khari had no idea what to think of the answer; now she had to move. 

When they finally arrived, Khari was struck with the sheer size of the fortress housing the Order of the Emerald Rune. The temple seemed have grown from the rocks around it organically, rather than to have been built. The twin gates slid silently apart for them as they approached; clearly, someone could see them arriving, but Khari could not see that someone in return. 

Kharissandra was grateful for the chance to wash and eat and rest. The acolytes of the Emerald Rune had kindly provided a fresh tunic and a steaming basin of sweet-smelling water and towels. She folded her kit and set it aside in her pack for the return home. Her irritable spirit "companion" had troubled her the whole way, occasionally creating little dancing lights that had nearly led Khari off a cliff. (Aliza had made no comment, if she noticed.) Now in the comfort of the room Aliza had directed her to, Khari indulged the imp with a cookie. Just to quiet it down. It was the last cookie in her pack, and she figured it would be a long time before she could bake another. She was only half-way through her fae-snack when Aliza knocked on the door. The monk looked disapprovingly at the cookie. "You realize that thing is feeding on you, right?"

"What?"
"Sure, it will quiet down for a pastry. Because every time you indulge it, it gets stronger. And the stronger it gets, the more of you it takes." Kharissandra felt like she was going to be 10 steps behind every conversation she had with this monk. Before she could even consider a response, Aliza had moved on to the next thing. "I've come to prepare you for the task ahead."

"Awesome! So where's this prophecy I'm learning?"

Aliza smiled, like adults do to a charming, innocent child. "It's a bit more complex than that. May I come in?"

Khari stepped out of the door, and Aliza walked past her to take a seat on the floor. Khari joined her, her back to the stone wall, as Aliza continued. "You know that our texts are sacred, their language unspeakable for your own safety; it takes years of discipline to master even the first syllable, and based on what we have learned, you have no time to lose."

"Then what?"

"I'm coming to that. There is a labyrinth beneath the temple; ancient enough that the memory of its making has passed out of living memory. It's there that we first learned of the prophecy. The spirits therein do not speak a living language, but they know more about what is to come than even the eldest Adepts here."

"If they don't speak, then--"

"Dyn's eyes, you impatient---!" Aliza took a breath, then began again. "We learned long ago that our training improves our ability to commune with the spirits. They commune within the soul; so your connection to your inner being will determine your success with them. And something about spending time in the labyrinth itself seems to help as well. We've had scholars investigate it before; they thought it was the air quality down there, the scamps. But there is something more; labyrinths are somewhat meditative in nature. We believe the more time you spend exploring it, the better you will be at communicating with spirits as you come across them. It can be an ordeal for even the strongest mind among us, however. Some of those who went before you spent much more time down there than was good for their health. A few of them disappeared. Others went mad. So now everyone is limited to 3 tries at the labyrinth in the same week. 3 tries, get as far as you can, then come back out before you get lost." 

"I see." 

"You will also, doubtless, come across some creatures down there of a less than prophetic nature. If you run into any havoc gnomes, kindly clear them out as well. I'll make sure to get you a bag of holding before you go down, and we'll release any you catch into the wild before you get back. I'm sure there's an old curiosity shop they will be happier in, at any rate. There might also be some unsavory sorts down there. Try not to get killed. Oh, and one more thing."

Khari was a bit overwhelmed at this point, but she nodded, inquisitively, on reflex. 

"I'll be waiting for you when you come out of there, with nourishing food and hot water. Mind, there won't be any more of this feeding of a leaching fae while you're here; in the Order, we like to be both pure of mind and of body to foster the well-being of the spirit. And talking to the spirits of the labyrinth..." (did she just shudder?) "you'll need all the bolstering you can get."

"What about days when I'm not in the labyrinth?"

Aliza grinned. "You'll be training in our arts with me." Now it was Kharissandra's turn to shudder. Just a little. "Oh cheer up. It's good for you. And you'll be much better prepared, whether you come across a spirit or something less savory." Aliza looked more serious for a moment. "You have to be ready. We lost a lot of acolytes down there before we finally learned it was a prophecy meant for another's ears. I'll do all I can to prepare you. But you're hardly what I would call spiritually stable, let alone strong." Aliza got up, patted Khari on the shoulder, and headed for the door. "Get some sleep. We start meditation before dawn."

Khari stood to close the door behind Aliza, then collapsed, backward, onto the bed. This was going to be a TRIP.

___________________________________________________________________-

Wow that was a long story bit. And I've got even MORE where that came from! (I seriously have so much plot to get down here. Sorry for the major info-dump, but I was excited. XD)

Good news! I clawed my way back to a neutral 0 points on the sleep ritual (means: I didn't lose money to my loans, and I earned 5gp towards my trip!) I did ALL 6 WORKOUTS THIS WEEK (wow, losing 100gp to a friend is really a heck of a motivator!). I used 2 of my food strikes (one accident, one planned), so I only have the emergency one left. Better get serious! (I have a feeling those monks ^^ won't let me get NOT-serious lol). And I decluttered every day this week! WOOOO. 

Fun story, I made it to the bottom of a box last night. The universe rewarded me with $5 wrapped in an old receipt. FREE MONEY! I decided since my reward for decluttering is that veil, now I have an extra $5 toward it! :D

I also managed to practice my languages every day this week! Woohoo!!!

Oh, and just for the added XP, I did 2 minutes of planks every day. You know. Cause I'm awesome like that lol. 

Alright, now to bed with me, before I end up back where I started with that sleep ritual thing. @Jupiter and @Elastigirl and @jonfirestar and @Rurik Harrgath and everybody who's been here cheering me on and everything, thank you!!! Alright, gnight! :D

• Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 2:31 AM, Kharissandra said:

Alright, now to bed with me, before I end up back where I started with that sleep ritual thing. @Jupiter and @Elastigirl and @jonfirestar and @Rurik Harrgath and everybody who's been here cheering me on and everything, thank you!!! Alright, gnight! :D

Ahah Any time! And Woo Free money! 

I also loved the narrative entry :) 

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

So far so good; although the First Week of Challenge boost (+2 to inspiration) is wearing off, so getting up in the mornings is hard again. (Thankfully, one of the perks of only working a part-time job right now is having time to get stuff done even IF I also sleep later than I really should.) 2 runs and a strength training done, 1 more this week meets me lower-limit goal. Eating level 7 has been pretty alright this week, although I've been adding honey to my tea and I may've added some coconut milk to a coffee and a cup of tea (I really really wanted a chai latte. It didn't go as planned). So far Duolingo has been on point (and a friend of mine friended me on there and had the nerve to rack up more xp than me today; thankfully, I managed to get a few dozen more in tonight, so that should start some fun competition XD). Oh and I'm at a neutral 0 points for sleep ritual at the moment. 

Speaking of, as much as I would love to add more story tonight, I'd rather get some sleep early. Good night, all! (And thanks for the support; you guys are so sweet! ^_^ )

• Like 3

OH. I should specify that 2 minutes of planks does not equal 2 consecutive minutes of planks. My current high score (??? words ???) is 1 minute 25 seconds, and then I'm tacking on however much more up until I make it to 2 minutes. Lol. And now I'm doing it 2x/day :P In other news, I'm 4 for 4 on workouts, and Duolingo has kept me captive like ALL day. (Still very confused on a particle used in Japanese, so I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out; and then I went and looked up how you actually pronounce/spell the counters for "general objects", because I was really confused. :P) I'm beginning to get kinda stressed out by the decluttering, because the end of week 2 is approaching and I'm still buried in papers. I had no idea just how much paper I had. It's a lot. I'm going to watch Marvel movies and see if I can get through it by the end of tonight (or at least by the end of the week). I've never actually watched most of the Marvel movies, and I've never ever watched them in order. (I haven't gotten Hulk from the library yet, so I'm skipping ahead to the ones near it that came in sooner. Thor is currently next up. Nothing to inspire you to turn into a superhero like Thor, right?)

More to follow as time permits. :)

• Like 2