• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Skywalker

Skywalker perpetual motion

New year - New Challenge:  Perpetual Motion.

Some new year reflections lead me to determine that I'm a lot happier when I'm being productive/active but I lose momentum very easily.  It's been a theme of most of my previous challenges to keep moving.  Now it is the main focus - concentrating on the action of getting stuff done, without focusing on exactly what those actions are.  We all know what needs to be done.

I got a fitbit for Christmas so it gives me a buzz if I don't do 250 steps each hour between 9 and 7 - so that is a reminder to get on my feet.  When I'm at home I should be 'pottering' around enough to never get the 250 buzz.

I'm going to do one of those 2019 Goals posts so watch out for the link.  I just reviewed my 2018 NF Goal planning document.  Both dishartened that my goals are still very similar but I can also remind myself about some of the stuff that I did or at least tried.

One thing that I want to concentrate on is a daily walk/hike - preferably in the morning before work.  I am not really a morning person but it is warm/light her in the Southern Hemisphere and I want to be the sort of person who gets up early and exercises in 2019.  

My 'big' fitness event in 2019 is that I will be doing the 'Coast to Coast' walk in the UK in September.   The biggest challenge in my mind now is that I will be on holidays in the UK for up to 9 weeks before the hike with my non-walking hubby.  My solution for this is to become that early morning walker - who will get an hour or so walking in the morning while hubby is having a morning coffee.  Obviously getting in the morning walking habit before the holidays will help with my overall fitness and hopefully help drop a few kilos which will help as well.

So down to goals:

Morning walk: 1 day a week I go to yoga in the morning so I'm aiming for 3/4 morning walks during the week and 1 longer hike on the weekend (which could be a bike ride)/

Perpetual Motion:  I want to hit the 10/10 for movements during the day.  I have a fitness routine/schedule that I need to get back into which means that I should get in 5 fitness sessions a week but it is more than going to gym, it's getting the stuff done around the house, saying yes to activities etc - harder to quantify.  I feel I should count my 'inactivity minutes' and give myself a limit.  I might try tracking this for a week and see if this is a good metric.

Keto fuel:  I've tried low carb and I'm happy with that.  I'd like to get low enough for keto but I struggle with the food choices.  I'd really like to 'give it a good go' so I'm thinking of a committing to two weeks to get over the mental barrier.  Is that long enough?

Low-Carb - I decided to keep with the low-carb eating because 

1.  I now have this dialed in - 'lifestyle change' so I want to keep going on this eating style to really embed it in and 

2.  I have had a break through in a weight set point - so I am not changing something that is working - even though slowly

3.  Keeping the Keto 'up my sleeve' for another plateau

Let me know if you can think of a better way to track my general activity level.

• Like 4

Update:

No morning walk - but today is my last day of holidays so I'm planning a pre-work walk tomorrow.

Perpetual motion - yes I achieved 10/10 on the fitbit and got lots of stuff done today.  Holidays are kinda of like a weekend - so I decided to only stop for either a cuppa a tea break or lunch and it was good that the fitbit gave me a buzz if I stopped to long.  No screen time until after dinner.

Food:  On track - low carb, just two meals today no snacks.

• Like 4

Thanks for the welcome @Wolfen - I feel that I just start a challenge and then peter off.  Here's hoping 2019 is more NF focused.  I need the accountability and I'm hoping that you all help raise the average of the 5 people that I surround myself with - as I have some less positive people in my life. 

• Like 2

I love my Fitbit. Now that it is winter, and I am going on less actual walks, I need to at least  get up and move around when it reminds me

I now jump on the treadmill to finish off the day even though for me it could be to hot to spend time outside.

Well I did get up early for my first day of work and get a short walk in.

I didn't get the 10/10 active hours as I got side tracked with work when the buzz went off, but I was going OK with this at the end of the year so I imagine I'll get back into the groove.  Did a walk at lunch and a quick treadmill session afterwork.  I felt that I had my perpetual motion vibe going with getting a few extra jobs done afterwork.

Food - I snacked way to much.  Maybe just getting back into work (snacked on brazil nuts and cherries) and then I had an after work vegemite toast (I've hardly had any bread for weeks).  Not sure what's the go with that.  I think maybe a little stress eating because I got some bad news at work regarding a colleague which I've been thinking about.

Not at work tomorrow so back to my normal holiday routine for the next three days before I have to wrangle the work routine.

• Like 2

I am really please with my early walk today.  Not crazy early but I fit it in nicely with my other commitments for the day.  I do need to pick up the pace a bit, I was overtaken by several 'older' people - I really do walk slowly.

Food was good except for some snacking.  I had really taken snacking out of my game so I need to put the blinkers on to stop that slipping back in.  

I'm doing some research for my upcoming trip to the UK.  I really need to start booking, but doing so means making actual decisions about what we can really afford and what we will really be doing.  Trip planning is fun when it is all in the imagination, but now I have to do the reality check and part with some money.  I'm wishing for a stronger AUD against the Pound Stirling. 

• Like 2

This weekend - Saturday was a bit of a setback - didn't go for a walk and didn't do any real exercise - way down on steps.  I did catch up with a couple of friends for a drink - so ticking the social/get out of the house box.

Today was better with a long walk this morning and then went out with Hubby and my youngest to the movies followed by a coffee to catch up with what's been going on.  Also mowed the lawn, so ticked that off the list.

Dialed back the snacking, but hopefully when I'm back in the work day rhythm I'll get back to no snacking.  Hubby is almost out of snacks so this should help both him and me.  

• Like 2

Hey Skywalker!
It's great to see you again! I like your morning walks goal...
I have a similar one (not formally, for the challenge, but just to get the dogs out before work), but it's no fun in the cold and dark.

I also love my FitBit. I used to spreadsheet every and use calendar reminders but the watch takes care of it all now!

So do you quantify your goals? In the kaizen world of incremental change the goal might be the same but the degree different. Or you might notice other factors are better because of the work you did on the goal even if it ultimately wasn’t achieved, such as a lowered blood pressure or looser a body that is looser and moves more easily.