• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak does a bunch of side quests

1. Sleep. It’s starting to be annoying that I am so bad at this. But I have learned that anxiety often manifests as insomnia, so at least now I know why I am so bad at sleeping. So, measures will be taken to take power away from the anxiety, which in turn will make it smaller and less insomnia inducing.

1a. I have given myself a bed time and will use meditation techniques I have learned from Headspace to help my brain slow down and go to sleep mode.

1b. Daily meditation and some kind of physical activity will help the brain become stronger against the anxiety and stress

Daily update: Meditation and walk with Happy Sidekick this morning made me happy. The tea experiment has not been going on for long enough to determine whether it's really impacting my sleep or not, but it's definitely making my digestive system feel much better. That is a strong argument for continuing this tea thing. Also, tea is yummy. :) 

2. Schedule my gym workouts in Google Calendar, for three nights per week. This makes it exponentially more likely that I will actually go to the gym. Getting my tired behind into the car and towards the gym building is by far the biggest obstacle for me when it comes to working out regularly. QUEST COMPLETE

3. Request time off for all the dates listed in the Upcoming Events email I received yesterday, so it becomes possible for me to physically be present at the events I am volunteering for. This quest expires and automatically fails on Thursday 10th of January. QUEST COMPLETE

3a. Sign up for all the events. All of them! QUEST COMPLETE

3b. Add all the events to Google Calendar QUEST COMPLETE

4. Declutter and tidy the desk in my dragon cave. Completing this quest unlocks Quest # 8.

5. Join the Walk to Mordor 2019 PvP. Then link it in my sig so I can find it easily. QUEST COMPLETE

6. Sign up for Read Harder 2019

6a. Start reading early enough that I can actually finish it this year.

6b. Also, link it in my sig so I can find it easily.

7. Work on my NaNo project every weekend. 0/4

8. Spec out and pick parts for the new computer build. Not available until Quest #4 is complete.

9. Sort out the skincare stuff – make an active effort to educate myself by watching one video or reading one article every night.

9a. Completely geek out on skin care ingredients and learn how they work, and which ones I want. QUEST COMPLETE

9b. Identify brands and products I want to use from here on QUEST COMPLETE

9c. Obtain the products from 9b, and incorporate them into existing daily routines

Daily update: Product levels in various jars and bottles have imposed a time limit on this particular side quest. Morning serum, evening serum, oil cleanser, and a light day moisturizer, all need to be obtained within the next week or so. Grrr. Shifting priorities to take care of this immediately.

10. Activated by completing Quest #2: Go to the gym during my scheduled time. Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday.

QUEST BUG DETECTED. Friday evenings are not available for gym visits. Friday evenings, Husbands who are unaware of Scalyfreak's quest log cook steak dinners with wine as a surprise and that becomes a major distraction from going to the gym.

10a. Reschedule Friday gym visits for Thursday evenings.

11. Activated by completing Quest #3: Attend all scheduled volunteer events.

Quest log updates over for this evening. 

Scaly creature!

1a2.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

1. Sleep. It’s starting to be annoying that I am so bad at this. But I have learned that anxiety often manifests as insomnia, so at least now I know why I am so bad at sleeping. So, measures will be taken to take power away from the anxiety, which in turn will make it smaller and less insomnia inducing.

This will sound stupid... but I cannot sleep in a quiet room. If there is no noise, my brain goes into overdrive (It's like having 5 people screaming in my head). So I have re-runs of cartoons playing in the background so my brain doesn't go nuts. I fall asleep within 20 mins. I put the tv on a sleep timer so it turns off while I'm asleep.

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

This will sound stupid... but I cannot sleep in a quiet room. If there is no noise, my brain goes into overdrive (It's like having 5 people screaming in my head). So I have re-runs of cartoons playing in the background so my brain doesn't go nuts. I fall asleep within 20 mins. I put the tv on a sleep timer so it turns off while I'm asleep.

Doesn't sound stupid at all, I'm the same way. In a silent room, the brain gets bored and starts running in circles and never stops. We have a box fan we run for white noise, and it makes all the difference.

• Like 1

1a. I have given myself a bed time and will use meditation techniques I have learned from Headspace to help my brain slow down and go to sleep mode.

1b. Daily meditation and some kind of physical activity will help the brain become stronger against the anxiety and stress

Daily update: Meditation and walk with Happy Sidekick this morning made me happy. The tea experiment has not been going on for long enough to determine whether it's really impacting my sleep or not, but it's definitely making my digestive system feel much better. That is a strong argument for continuing this tea thing. Also, tea is yummy. :) 

2. Schedule my gym workouts in Google Calendar, for three nights per week. This makes it exponentially more likely that I will actually go to the gym. Getting my tired behind into the car and towards the gym building is by far the biggest obstacle for me when it comes to working out regularly. QUEST COMPLETE

3. Request time off for all the dates listed in the Upcoming Events email I received yesterday, so it becomes possible for me to physically be present at the events I am volunteering for. This quest expires and automatically fails on Thursday 10th of January. QUEST COMPLETE

3a. Sign up for all the events. All of them! QUEST COMPLETE

3b. Add all the events to Google Calendar QUEST COMPLETE

4. Declutter and tidy the desk in my dragon cave. Completing this quest unlocks Quest # 8.

5. Join the Walk to Mordor 2019 PvP. Then link it in my sig so I can find it easily. QUEST COMPLETE

6. Sign up for Read Harder 2019

6a. Start reading early enough that I can actually finish it this year.

6b. Also, link it in my sig so I can find it easily.

7. Work on my NaNo project every weekend. 0/4

8. Spec out and pick parts for the new computer build. Not available until Quest #4 is complete.

9. Sort out the skincare stuff

9a. Completely geek out on skin care ingredients and learn how they work, and which ones I want. QUEST COMPLETE

9b. Identify brands and products I want to use from here on QUEST COMPLETE

9c. Obtain the products from 9b

9d. Incorporate them into existing daily routines

Daily update: Oil cleanser obtained. Retinol serum obtained. Left to acquire: Light hydrating daily toner. Morning Vitamin C serum. Evening serum with either peptides or hyaluronic acids. Daily moisturizer has been identified but not purchased, as the heavy one currently in use, is a good fit for the dry winter air.

10. Activated by completing Quest #2: Go to the gym during my scheduled time. Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday.

10a. Reschedule Friday gym visits for Thursday evenings.

Daily update: Went to the gym today. Also, rescheduled Friday gym for Thursdays.

11. Activated by completing Quest #3: Attend all scheduled volunteer events.

Daily update: Three events scheduled for January. 16th, 20th, 21st.

Today's scaly creature is a pregnant male seahorse:

1482010611637900.jpg?resize=320:*

It makes perfect sense, and it's funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Awww yay spontaneous date night in with husband! Totally worth missing a gym workout, at least IMO.

Curiosity on skincare, any sources you'd recommend for someone interested in reading / learning more? My current regimen is OK, but I don't think it's anything exceptional, and I'm always looking to improve on the little things.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

This is good to have figured out! Do you usually drink coffee instead? Or is tea just good for the digestion? I wouldn't know because I never don't drink tea. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Curiosity on skincare, any sources you'd recommend for someone interested in reading / learning more? 

Me too. I realised just googling things doesn't work because the first million results are from people with something to sell. Scalyfreak suggested youtube, but I can read a lot quicker than anyone can talk, so I prefer reading text. I found there's a skincare section on reddit that might be helpful -- it's not experts or peer-reviewed studies, but they're also not selling anything. They gave me some ideas for the monthly skin trouble. Did you know spearmint can influence hormones? Weird. 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Curiosity on skincare, any sources you'd recommend for someone interested in reading / learning more? My current regimen is OK, but I don't think it's anything exceptional, and I'm always looking to improve on the little things.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I realised just googling things doesn't work because the first million results are from people with something to sell. Scalyfreak suggested youtube, but I can read a lot quicker than anyone can talk, so I prefer reading text. I found there's a skincare section on reddit that might be helpful -- it's not experts or peer-reviewed studies, but they're also not selling anything. They gave me some ideas for the monthly skin trouble. Did you know spearmint can influence hormones? Weird. 

Definitely don't google this if you don't already know enough about skin care ingredients to be able to identify which search results are useful and which ones are not. You will only be confused or frustrated, and buried in sales pitches about that aren't always medically accurate. (News flash: Just because it's difficult to pronounce an ingredient doesn't mean it's bad and should be avoided.) That said, there are some manufacturers that actually have accurate explanations of the various ingredients on their web sites, as long as you're willing to overlook their bias towards their own products.

I don't have a lot of written resources memorized, but that's because I prefer YouTube. I can listen to them while I do other stuff on the computer. Harriet makes a good point on reading faster than listening though. Also, a good YouTuber will show you what the product looks like in the container and on skin, swatch it for you, and sometimes demo how to use it as well, all it which matters and is difficult to get from a written article. That said, I have resources bookmarked at home, and I'll go through them tonight and share them here.

Harriet's sub reddit is not among them, so now I have a new place to check out! :)

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, scalyfreak said:

IT HAS A BLUE TOUNGE!!! :blink:

We have nothing like that here. The most freakish scaly creatures we have are the rattlesnakes out in the foothills and mountains around the city. I avoid going there.

Image result for pygmy short horned lizard

I beg to differ. Native to North America, the Pygmy Short-horned Lizard squirts blood from its eyes as a defense mechanism to escape predators. I'd call that pretty cool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I beg to differ. Native to North America, the Pygmy Short-horned Lizard squirts blood from its eyes as a defense mechanism to escape predators. I'd call that pretty cool.

thats-pretty-metal.jpg

• Like 4

That is badass.

Okay, that beats the blue tongue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Hardcore. You'd think predators wouldn't mind getting splashed with blood. They'd just lick their faces and continue killing*. Or is the blood just aimed really well--from the lizard eye directly into the enemy eye--so the predator can't see? Or is it, like, acid blood? Or boiling fire blood? That would be mad. Like a sort of small, wet dragon. 

*I looked for a gif to illustrate this, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my findings. I leave it to you to imagine. 

11 minutes ago, Harriet said:

*I looked for a gif to illustrate this, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my findings. I leave it to you to imagine. 

bubbles-a-little-wet-dragon.jpg

• Haha 1

Okay, @Harriet and @Mike Wazowski !

As promised, here's a list of skincare things I have in my bookmarks. I went through r/SkincareAddiction as well (because it was a slow day at work and they have soo much in their wiki!), so now that is bookmarked too, so one of the links is from there.

Skin Care Basics from Paula's Choice - Paula's Choice is a brand and manufacturer of skin care products. However, their skin care information site is still really good and informative. They want to sell you product, yes, but they want to sell you the right product for you, and they want you to make an informed choice. Their guide to facial oils is a good example of what I mean. Also phenomenal ingredient dictionary.

Things not to do to your skin - Also from Paula's Choice. Spelling out the basic basics. Like "wear sunscreen", and "don't scrub your face really hard", and stuff like that. :) 

24 Best Skin Care Tips of All Time - checklist of things we should be doing. Like eating right, drinking lots of water, get lots of sleep, and use the proper products for our skin. Good reminder of the basics.

Skincare.com - The home of the 24. Tons of valuable information. The SkinPedia and the skin care advice under Expert Tips are where I spend most of my time here.

Skincare routine from r/skincareaddicts - Because it is very basic and very good about repeating over and over that everyone has to find what works best for their skin. Bonus points for acknowledging that skin care is gender neutral. Skin is skin is skin. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bubbles-a-little-wet-dragon.jpg

:O This is strange and makes me feel slightly uncomfortable for some reason I can't put my finger on. 

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

:O This is strange and makes me feel slightly uncomfortable for some reason I can't put my finger on. 

It has that creepy teletubbies vibe.

Also, scaly creature:

yIPx2FV.gif

Shooting lasers is way cooler than shooting blood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Okay, @Harriet and @Mike Wazowski !

As promised, here's a list of skincare things I have in my bookmarks. I went through r/SkincareAddiction as well (because it was a slow day at work and they have soo much in their wiki!), so now that is bookmarked too, so one of the links is from there.

Thank you, I'm planning to read all these. Paula's choice is what I found when I was totally fed up with my skin at 27. The liquid BHA helped, I think. It also got me to start wearing sunscreen. 

• Like 1

Just now, scalyfreak said:

It has that creepy teletubbies vibe.

Also, scaly creature:

yIPx2FV.gif

Shooting lasers is way cooler than shooting blood.

This is AWESOME

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

It also got me to start wearing sunscreen. 

I theoretically knew about the importance of sunscreen. Then I watched my favorite YouTubers and now I'm rabid about it. This goes on my face every morning:

61xQP8vm80L._SL1000_.jpg 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I theoretically knew about the importance of sunscreen. Then I watched my favorite YouTubers and now I'm rabid about it. This goes on my face every morning:

Oooh, it looks totally affordable and it's mineral-based, which I like because sensitive. Actually, I would love to find more affordable versions of my current products. I just don't see why cleanser or BHA would need to be expensive. Moisturiser, maybe, but I'm not sure if that's just marketing or if they really do have expensive magical unicorn tears in. 

14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, it looks totally affordable and it's mineral-based, which I like because sensitive. 

I paid $14 + tax at my local Ulta. Its cheaper on Amazon, so I will get my refills there. :)  (Full disclosure: The link is an affiliate link for YouTube channel Hot&Flashy, who recommended the sunscreen to me in the first place.)

I have extremely sensitive skin (comes from actually having chronic eczema), but that sunscreen works great for me,with no irritation or dryness. I apply it in the morning, go make coffee and breakfast, then eat breakfast and drink the coffee. Then I do primer and foundation and the rest of the makeup, and at the end of the day it still looks great.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Actually, I would love to find more affordable versions of my current products. I just don't see why cleanser or BHA would need to be expensive. Moisturiser, maybe, but I'm not sure if that's just marketing or if they really do have expensive magical unicorn tears in. 

Also, while I don't know what you consider "affordable", I completely agree with you. I enjoy splurging on expensive luxury skincare products, because my face and my body are both awesome, and deserve only the best, but I absolutely do not believe that high quality skin care needs to cost a fortune. Have you looked at CeraVe or Hado Labo?

This is my new super-awesome moisturizer that I am testing out. It's a little greasy, but oh so very very nice and deep moisturizing. :)

• Like 1

Reverse follow: I don't know much about skincare. My acne was pretty bad for awhile, and I started doing the basic routine from r/skincareaddition. I'm still mostly doing it, and I think it does help, but I've observed that getting enough sleep has a lot more to do with how my skin feels than my routine. When I sleep well but slack off on the routine, things are pretty good. When I do the routine but stay up late for a few days, things get a bit rough.

I'm a big fan of your sleep goal is what I'm trying to say.

• Like 2