Terra changes tactics and heals up

Terra

I’m going to try something different…  Simply I going to focus on habits and building one or two at a time.

My first habit is eating more veggies.  I have had a distinct lack of veggies in my food choices and that isn’t good.  So I will start with a salad most every day for either lunch or dinner and a solid veggie side dish at the other meals.   I will award myself one point for each salad and each veggie side that I eat.  At first I will aim for 2 points per day with the hope that I am up to 4 points per day by the end of the challenge.

Today, Jan 2nd  I mean the 7th, I went in to the doctor for nasty abdominal pains.  After a CT scan it was determined that I have epiploic appendagitis which is an inflammation of the intestine.  It has no know causes, no know treatment (other than pain management) and will last 1-2 weeks. The pain isn’t constant but things like stretching, coughing and deep breaths can make it worse.  UGH!  So my original habit isn’t one that I can not do for at least two weeks.   

My second habit is stretching/yoga.  I am stiff which it makes me feel old and that just SUCKS!  I refuse to grow old gracefully (F-that shit!)  I have lost lots of flexibility in the pat few years and my hips are tight.  This isn’t a good thing and I want to reverse this loss of mobility.  I have access to the NF yoga, I own the Supple Leopard book, I like the youdoyoga.com website and I have my physical therapy exercises from the last couple of years.  I will aim for two yoga/stretching/mobility workouts per week.  One point per workout so eight points for the challenge.

My original second habit for this challenge will be postponed to a future challenge.  In liu of stretching/yoga, I will focus on keeping hydrated for my second habit.  I will drink at least 50oz, more if possible, of water every day.  I have been feeling dehydration lately because I have gotten out of the habit for drinking enough water.  This is a good alternative habit for me to work on right now.

My third habit is to get back to practicing gratitude daily.  I will post the things in life that I am most grateful for every time I post here.  I will get a point for every gratitude post.

I will treat myself to a massage if I get at least 55 veggie points, doing that water 24 or more days and 20 gratitude points.

Life will go on with other things when I am able to do more.  Its funny/ironic that I wrote this challenge before I got sick but it really fits what I need for the next little while.  Brazilian Jui-jitsu and conditioning classes will still happen.  I want to lift more and my kettlebells are lonely! My decluttering and minimization goals around my home still are there and I might work on them this month.  My work situation is improving and I’m looking forward to learning how to safely blow things up!!! But these aren’t my goals.  I need to loose weight yet I no longer care what the scale says!  I feel so much relief in letting go of the many (too many) goals that I have been trying to achieve each challenge.  If I focus on a couple small habits each challenge perhaps I can rebuild my health and fitness while not driving myself crazy or damaging my self esteem.  My last three challenges of 2018 and a whole lot of introspection over my holiday break has brought me to these changes.  Oh and @Maurader provided some much needed inspiration.   I love it!

• Like 5

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

Nice sound plan there Terra. I know you will manage these habit changes well.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Well the last two days have been a challenge.  

I followed up with my primary doctor.  She isn't happy with my diagnosis and wanted more details from the scan but the computers are down and they can't transfer the data.  So she is not convinced that I don't have diverticulitis.  I got stronger pain meds.  I worked a half day on tuesday.  But after the long walk from my parked car to my office, my doctor appointment, wandering around the grocery store grabbing soup ingredients and picking up prescription, I went to the medical department at work.  (I had to report one of my meds) And they sent me home.  I was exhausted and my pain levels were rising.  I stayed home today.  

So what I have learned so far with this malady: The more I move the more I hurt.  No one can do anything much to help me feel better, but I'm frustrated by no one trying to help with things around the house or to see if I need anything.  My family obviously doesn't know how to take care of me.  

I feel like I am being lazy because I am doing nothing but when I get up and try to move I just hurt.  I keep thinking that I could try going to work tomorrow but  the more I move the more I hurt.  So I am torn, do I try to get out and risk hurting more or do I give myself more time???  

Habit building

Veggies: I'm not eating as much right now but I am making better choices and finding veggies to eat.  So far I have 4 points in 2 days.  

Water: I have been feeling dehydrated and it might have to do with my malady.  Yesterday I drank over two large (24Oz) bottles of water, today I drank three.  2 points for 2 days.

Gratitude:  I am grateful that I did not have an appendicitis attack, because that means surgery.  I am grateful that I am not showing any signs of an infection (yet?)  I am grateful for snuggly dogs and cats that have made me smile many times today.  

• Like 2

I know the feeling of being a prime caregiver all of a sudden being dependent on those she usually takes care of caring for her, and them not stepping up (enough). I have a tendency to not say clearly or not often enough what I need overall or from them specifically, because I am a caregiver at heart and I see things that are obvious to me, they see it, they should act accordingly.

But they don't see it. They just don't because usually I take care of those things, and they never had to practice caring for someone they love, being attentive. And I lack the skill to ask for help, I just hate it. And asking for things that are so damn obvious to me, when they should help out... it just aggravates me.

Maybe your family is similar, not same, obviously, but similar enough? Maybe hubby and the girls haven't done this much at all, taking care of someone. And maybe you need practice taking care to communicate clearly too?

Stay home. Make yourself heard (and understood). And REST. Please?

Please take care of my friend, my friend.

PS I hate being benched. All my sympathies to you.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

• Like 2

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Yay for 2019 and massages!

Sorry you had a rough go of it so far this week.  It's so frustrating to have to rely on other people and then to be let down a little, especially if you're dealing with other things (like pain or illness).  Do you what you can and be kind to yourself <3

• Like 1

My family is trying, sometimes, to take care of me.  @Morag I was trying to ask for help but my girls aren't just at a stage when they are very good about thinking of others.  I reminded my hubby that I need to be asked if I need things and adult interactions are good for me.  When he is sick he becomes an anti-social hermit.  

I'm feeling the same.  It isn't getting better but it isn't getting worse.  I did get confirmation that I have the original diagnosis.  The radiology report finally got to my doctor and she feels that I did get the correct diagnosis.  (I think she was MAD at the physician's assistant who I saw on Monday because they didn't document things properly)  All I can do it take it easy and wait for the inflammation to go away.   I really have to get myself to work on Monday.  

I drank a ton of water yesterday!  I only ate two meals and I had no veggies at one meal, so only 1 veggie point yesterday.  I am grateful to finally get a confirmed diagnosis that makes my doctor happy.  I am grateful for finding a few things on the TV to watch (Marie Kondo's show and catching up with Vikings!)  And now my hubby is being a little more attentive now that I pointed out what I needed from him.   

Habit building

Veggies: 7 points in 4 days.  

Water: 4 points for 4 days.

Gratitude: 2 for 2 posts.  

Adding in a photo of somewhere near home (not my picture but it sure it pretty.)  We have had over three foot of snow this winter and its beautiful yet a pain to dig out of when it all falls in one day.  

ff00ef97-58a9-45c8-93c1-4809dc7edf70.jpe

• Like 3

That snow stuff gets measured in feet?!?

I'll swap you half your snow for three days of warm Aussie weather. Next three days will be over 40c.

I hope you start getting better soon.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I totally understand feeling useless and it driving you crazy while dealing with illness/ect.  After my stay at the hospital the SO came home early from work to make sure I was sitting on my rear like I was supposed to (he know's I am really bad at it).  I am glad communication with the family has helped, I am sure part of it is that they need some additional practice at it since you do the heavy lifting most of the time.

I also started watching Marie Kondo's show, and promptly decided to purge the closets/dressers and get some other areas of the house organized.

Hope you start feeling less pain soon, good job on the hydration!

• Like 1

Hugs, because you need them today.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 4:48 AM, Thom Stépan said:

Hugs, because you need them today.

Thank you!  

My pain levels have finally started to drop and I am becoming a functional human being once again!!!  We had another snow storm that dropped about 8 inches of snow on Sunday and work/kids school were delayed today.  But I made it to work and my pain levels are manageable today.  

On 1/12/2019 at 6:37 AM, TiffanyD said:

also started watching Marie Kondo's show, and promptly decided to purge the closets/dressers and get some other areas of the house organized.

I am resisting this only because I can't do it just yet, but it is on my list of things to do this spring!  

I'm close to my water intake for today and I have more water in the works.  I did good with hydration this weekend!  I did good with the veggies over the weekend too.  I'll pre-post my eating results for today so I have to eat my salad tonight at dinner!!!  I need to have my gratitude goal changed to a point for every post.   I'm going to go to BJJ tonight but I don't know how much I will be able to do...  The hubby has a hammer finger injury (possible torn ligament) right now so he wants to work with me.  And I don't think I have it in me to do the strength/conditioning class tonight.  I'm hopeful that I can do that class by Friday!  

Habit building

Veggies: 13 points in 7 days.  

Water: 7 points for 7 days.

Gratitude: 3 for 3 posts.  

:snowman::snowman::snowman:

Edited to add my gratitude!  I'm a dork and forgot.  I'm grateful for lots of choices of tea.  I love drinking tea in the winter and lots of options make me happy!  I am grateful for things to begin moving forward with my new opportunities at work.  Someone who got a mini promotion last month over me in my current job is hating life right now.  She is stressed and overwhelmed.  I'm not and I'm so VERY grateful!!!  

• Like 4

I wasn't able to do BJJ class on Monday night, I was just exhausted.  Tonight I think I am strong enough to give class a go.  I cant wait!!!!  

Habit building

Veggies: 16 points in 9 days.  

Water: 8 points for 9 days.

Gratitude: 4 for 4 posts. 

The last couple of days have been going great.  My body is ejecting the inflammation, I'm getting stronger and the pain is almost gone.  95% pain free today.  Wahoo!  So now I have got to get back to life and do my thing.  I missed some water on Tuesday but I am going to get back into that groove today!  I'm excited about class tonight and I am planning a three day weekend with my girls!  It all makes me want to sing the theme song to this show ....  

moving-on-up-gif-8.gif  and  2wgkI5j.gif

Oh, boy!  Those gif's make me feel OLD but I they sure make me smile!  

• Like 2

I have more water in the works.   

Am I the only one to laugh at this?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Am I the only one to laugh at this?

LOL - I am so punny and I didn't even know it.  

Last night was rough physically.  I really wanted to get back into BJJ class and move more...  But halfway through class the pain kicked in and I was done.  I was just done. :crushed:  I came home and took a bath and went to bed early.  Today the pain levels are low but present, which sucks because they weren't there yesterday.  Frustration is kicking in and I am feeling super fluffy these days.  I know I need to take a deep breath and take it easy, but I just want to get moving again.  

I am grateful for the upcoming three day weekend with my girls.  We have some fun things planned.  I am grateful to have found new opportunities at work, they make me happy.  I am grateful for my hubby because when I start hurting again he steps in and takes care of everything!!!  

Habit building

Veggies: 18 points in 10 days.  

Water: 9 points for 10 days.

Gratitude: 5 for 5 posts. 

Its been 11 days since my last update....  I haven't forgotten my goals.  I'm struggling to get back into my regular scheduled life.  And I got a medical "slap up-side the head" too.  

My body still has some lingering inflammation and if I physically overdo things it lets me know.  I got my A1C levels from a blood test and while it doesn't indicate diabetes (yet,) it isn't in the normal range.  My new job stuff is moving slowly, UGH!  And Titanium Mickey's surgery is on Thursday.  I should know by now the only thing that is constant is change...  

However, for the last week of this challenge I will remain focused on veggies, water and gratitude!  I'm not going to go back and figure out what I ate and drank.  I'm moving forward today.  I am going to reconsider my overall food choices and exercise levels for the next challenge because they need to change in light of the A1C number.    So planning starts now...  

dffb6352ee6df6d9977e3c6b714ae0e0.jpg

The past has been rough, but moving forward is the best thing I can do.  Not to mention I have a great ass and with a little bit more weight training it will be AMAZING!   Hehe!  

• Like 5

OK, I must have been subconsciously thinking about that graphic above last night.  I was asked to teach the core and conditioning class at the last minute last night.  45 minute workout with out weights for a VERY large class.  Since I was still a little sore from Friday's upper body class I decided to go full on lower body workout.  At the end I got an ovation!?!?!  Damm, I must have done something right.  I will say I kicked my own ass and my calves/glutes ache big time today!!!  But in the end I had fun and enjoyed myself.  

I also got started on my new job stuff yesterday, which makes me very happy!  My list of training is VERY long but it includes some super cool stuff like laser diagnostics and high explosives handler.  :D  I'm happy to get this process started.  

Food was good yesterday.  Lots of veggies.  Enough water was drank.  I forgot to be specific with my gratitude in my post yesterday, but I think its in there.  Today I am grateful for teaching a successful class last night and the new opportunities that I am getting at work.  I am also grateful that tonight I can go home and prepare to take my Titanium Mickey to ABQ for her knee surgery.  We will spend the night in a hotel tomorrow with surgery Thursday.  I can't wait for her to be healthy and pain free so she can get back to doing all the fun stuff that she loves!!!  

Things are changing and I like this path I am on...

moving-sayings-and-quotes-new-keep-movin

And my oft needed reminder: I am not too old to change. Because I am not that damm old!!!  

• Like 5

woohoo for the ovation!!! Though I wonder if the next day they were silently cursing you and the class:friendly_wink: I've been super focused on the upper body lately, and really need to do a bit more on the glute work. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

woohoo for the ovation!!! Though I wonder if the next day they were silently cursing you and the class:friendly_wink: I've been super focused on the upper body lately, and really need to do a bit more on the glute work. 

I've been cursing myself but I really love the feel of DOMS after a good workout.  I must remember this!!!  

• Like 2

Thinking supportive thoughts for you and your girl in ABQ. Big hugs!

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Thank you! Everything went great today. I’ll give more details tomorrow... so grateful for an amazing doctor, great nurses and a successful surgery!
  • Like 3

Great to hear the surgery went well.