• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's Good Place Challenge

7 minutes ago, Raxie said:

this just put me over the edge. 

Sorry...well...no really :-D

Most people never heard of the show, glad I'm not the only one...I didn't know about a movie though...sounds like I should avoid anyways

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

Uhm OK I was not going to add The Good Place to my queue because I just have too many shows but this just put me over the edge.  Dead Like Me was so good!!! (Let's please forget about the movie though)

I loved the show and was so upset when they canceled it. There was a movie? Was it that bad?

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I loved the show and was so upset when they canceled it. There was a movie? Was it that bad?

They had to get a different actress for the lead, and the story was definitely too forced in a pandering "let's make all the fans happy and wrap up loose ends" kind of way. And it felt overproduced to me. But it's worth a watch if you loved the show - just don't expect much.

16 minutes ago, Raxie said:

They had to get a different actress for the lead, and the story was definitely too forced in a pandering "let's make all the fans happy and wrap up loose ends" kind of way. And it felt overproduced to me. But it's worth a watch if you loved the show - just don't expect much.

They replaced Georgia? That's some bs right there.

• Like 1

So I decided to scope out the Good Place by watching the first episode, to see if this is something Husband and I wold enjoy watching together.

I think we may have a winner here.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here to follow and spearhead the attempt to get HEB to open a store in Virginia.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:12 AM, spezzy said:

YES PLEASE I MISS IT SO MUCH.

From local Austin, Tx artist (and personal favorite musician) Bob Schneider. I present you H.E.B, the song.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

From local Austin, Tx artist (and personal favorite musician) Bob Schneider. I present you H.E.B, the song.

.....omg what did i just watch / listen to?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

The greatest song about a grocery store ever written, of course. 

hahah i will say it is the greatest grocery store I have been to. I was spoiled in texas. 

• Like 1

Today!

Walked Madi this morning

Gym was:

Deadlift: 

275x15

185x15

205x15

(first set was supposed to be heavy, 60%, last 2 sets were supposed to be cardio, and that they were)

Muscleup:

1, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 (goal was to accumulate 15)

Toes to Second Bar (there is a bar above my pullup bar, and the goal here is to get that one):

Lat Levers (basically - modified lever work)

Handstand practice, crow toe taps

• Like 5

Okay! So weekly update :)

1) REHAB

1a) I'm talking to a PT, and we're going to hop on a call and determine next steps. 

1b) I haven't started this yet, but that's fine - it wasn't on this week's list

2) EXERCISE

2a) Walked Madi first thing in the morning, 100% of the days, including in the snow,  except for thursday, in which she had a daycare evaluation and needed to be there first thing in the morning (spoiler alert: she failed miserably) 

2b) Went to the gym 4x

3) LOG FOOD

I haven't been great about logging, but I'm measuring again, so I'm giving myself a C on this this week, because it's the first steps towards the habit of logging again for real. 

4) POSITIVE ATTITUDE

This has been easy and great all week. 

5) BE MORE DECISIVE

I think I get a B this week. I'm getting better. The issue is catching myself searching for something way longer than I want to be (like bookshelves! I may just have a bookshelf problem...)

I did order a jacket, some snow boots, some winter socks, some workout socks, a winter hat, some gloves, and a mini shovel for my car from Amazon all in about 20 minutes. And everything has been great so far. So pretty proud of that one!

6) GET SET UP IN VA

a) List of everything I need to do + weekly planning will be TONIGHT. 

b) Determine 2019 goals I'll be doing at the end of the month

c) Start to set up batcave - my stuff arrived on Friday! It's in a storage unit about a mile from my place, and I've already made the majority of the trips to get the stuff (will need to make I think 2-3 more, but they're quick). So I have my desk and my monitor back which is huge, now I just need to get a good office chair, a bookshelf, and a few basics. 

SUMMARY:

Goal Week One Week Two Week Three Week Four
1a (Get set up with PT) In Progress      
1a (Get set up with Dr) N/A      
2a (Walk Madi Daily) A+      
2b (Exercise Every Day) A+      
3 (Log Food) C      
4a (Positive attitude) A+      
4b (Treat others how I'd like to be treated) A+      
5 (Be more decisive) B      
6a (Write a list of everything I need to do) In Progress      
6b (Determine 2019 Goals) N/A      
6c (Set up office / batcave / routine) In Progress      

Updated goals and plans for this next week coming tonight. 

• Like 5

I watched the firat episode a few months ago. Enjoyed it, but the other half wasn't too keen, so it kind of just sat there in the 'continue watching'. After reading this, i was inspired to indeed continue watching when i had the TV to myself. And i am so glad that i did. Halfway through season 2 already! Thank you! 

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING

There is such a thing: if you've been living alone in a one-room flat for years, then you bring home a woman from another country to live with you, and now she has no space for HER books/yarn/elbows etc because of your books, which fill every available space, like cats. Or if you pack a (large) bag for a (short) holiday, then ask your wife if she has room in her (smaller) bag for some of your books. Or if a large pile of books in your house topples over and kills you. That would be too many books, I feel. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Or if you pack a (large) bag for a (short) holiday, then ask your wife if she has room in her (smaller) bag for some of your books.

This is why e-readers were invented.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:36 AM, spezzy said:

giphy.gif

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to cuss less, so I edited the auto correct on my phone to change any cuss words to their variants from The Good Place. So for example, if I try to stay the f word, it gives me "fork", and if I try to say God Damn it, it gives me Gosh Darn It. It now does the same thing on my computer and iPad (since I'm all apple so everything is connected).

Not only has this worked, but it's also had a really cool secondary reminder that I get many times throughout the day: that regardless of anyone's religious belief, we are in a Good Place, right now, and that's an amazing thing. So this silly little thing I decided to do ended up having a big change on my daily mood and attitude.

I also just moved across the country from TX to VA, so that's kind of like a fresh start.

So I'm going to ride that, and make a Good Place Challenge. 

This challenge will also be focusing on getting me set up for success in 2019 - because I did just move across the country, a lot of my batcave is still not set up, and I'm in a completely different routine, now is the good time to start really small and build on throughout the year. 

This should probably be a druid challenge, because a lot of it is mental, but I'm a warrior at heart, so I'm putting it here. 

2018 was a really ROUGH year for me. I'm not going to go into details because it doesn't matter, it's in the past. But most of the year I felt like this:

sub-buzz-31128-1509655287-2.png?downsize  

but like Jason likes to put it, I wasn't a failure, I was just pre-successful:

anigif_sub-buzz-12877-1545142225-1.gif?d 

So, without further ado, my goals:

1) REHAB

anigif_sub-buzz-20949-1509658371-1.gif?d

Finally, after an MRI, we've determined that the cause of my pain after the car accident was a small hip labral tear as well as my sciatic foramina is really inflamed. I got an injection in my hip on Christmas Eve, and the doctor's recommendation is to do physical therapy for a few months, and if in 3-6 months the pain is back or isn't getting better, to get an MRI with contrast to diagnose the tear further. The MRI also found a cyst I need to get looked at, which is completely unrelated, but should get looked at. 

So: 

a) Find a good physical therapist, and get a good plan moving forward for physical therapy

b) Get set up with a doctor here in VA

2) EXERCISE

a) Go for at least a 10 minute walk every morning with Madi. This will not only help my moods, but Madi likes it too. I notice a large decrease in depression when I walk every morning, so that's a great place to start. 

sub-buzz-20946-1516229767-2.jpg?downsize

b) Work up to exercise every day (10 minute walk doesn't count) by the end of the challenge. I know this image isn't exercising, but swole Chidi in the produce aisle is the closest thing I could find to an exercise gif:

THIS WEEK'S SPECIFIC GOALS: 

2) Exercise:

5x a week. Right now the plan is:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Though this would be okay too: 
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

6) Get set up in Virginia / Life

- Clear out uhaul box by tomorrow 

-Purchase a desk chair and a bookshelf for my office

-Figure out how to pay rent (new landlord requires a specific way and I need to talk to my bank about it)

-Make sure my address is changed everywhere I can 

-Figure out new health insurance

• Like 5

I'm just really happy all ya'll are watching TGP. I talk about it constantly. When my IRL friends are like omg it's so good, I am like.. yes. I have been telling you this. For months/years.

• Like 1

Yesterday's Workout:

Bench - 135x15, 120x15

Incline DB Bench, Dips, Waiter's Walks, Ring Pushups, Ring Rows

I also cleared out the uhaul box and got a new office chair, so can cross those off this week's list. 

• Like 6

On 1/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, spezzy said:

Yeah, I hadn't either, and removing my expectations on everyone else around me has really helped a lot. I'm still not great with it (obviously why i'm working on it here), but it's already made a huge difference.

I’ve been trying to relentlessly ask my self...”Is the emotional/physical/mental energy that I’m going to expend on this going to realistically move me toward ANY of my goals?   Am I going to get ‘value’ from it commensurate with the effort?”  

That means i have to have goals

That means I have to be aware of what I’m doing (mindfulness)

That means I will chose those things that move me toward my goals.

It leads to a lot of introspection 

Great timing moving north too...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wildross said:

I’ve been trying to relentlessly ask my self...”Is the emotional/physical/mental energy that I’m going to expend on this going to realistically move me toward ANY of my goals?   Am I going to get ‘value’ from it commensurate with the effort?”  

That means i have to have goals

That means I have to be aware of what I’m doing (mindfulness)

That means I will chose those things that move me toward my goals.

It leads to a lot of introspection 

Great timing moving north too...

I love this - that's a great way to look at it. I ask myself "is this worth the battle?" a lot, but specifically tying it to my goals would help a lot. 

Of course, then I have to have goals, and I'm getting closer to having them for this year, but still taking the rest of Jan to settle in and figure them out :)

I was sick most of last week. Ended up taking Weds - Sat off from the gym.

Made it back yesterday:

Bench Press:

60kg for 3x10

Pull-ups:

5x5

Ring Dips:

5x10

Dumbbell Flye, Handstand walk, and some minor accessories. 

I also tried to do some incline bench but that made my hip really start acting up, so I stopped. I actually think that bench itself is what made my hip act up, which is good info to have, but is annoying nonetheless. Time to find a PT....

• Like 1