• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's Good Place Challenge

giphy.gif

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to cuss less, so I edited the auto correct on my phone to change any cuss words to their variants from The Good Place. So for example, if I try to stay the f word, it gives me "fork", and if I try to say God Damn it, it gives me Gosh Darn It. It now does the same thing on my computer and iPad (since I'm all apple so everything is connected).

Not only has this worked, but it's also had a really cool secondary reminder that I get many times throughout the day: that regardless of anyone's religious belief, we are in a Good Place, right now, and that's an amazing thing. So this silly little thing I decided to do ended up having a big change on my daily mood and attitude.

I also just moved across the country from TX to VA, so that's kind of like a fresh start.

So I'm going to ride that, and make a Good Place Challenge. 

This challenge will also be focusing on getting me set up for success in 2019 - because I did just move across the country, a lot of my batcave is still not set up, and I'm in a completely different routine, now is the good time to start really small and build on throughout the year. 

This should probably be a druid challenge, because a lot of it is mental, but I'm a warrior at heart, so I'm putting it here. 

2018 was a really ROUGH year for me. I'm not going to go into details because it doesn't matter, it's in the past. But most of the year I felt like this:

sub-buzz-31128-1509655287-2.png?downsize  

but like Jason likes to put it, I wasn't a failure, I was just pre-successful:

anigif_sub-buzz-12877-1545142225-1.gif?d 

So, without further ado, my goals:

1) REHAB

anigif_sub-buzz-20949-1509658371-1.gif?d

Finally, after an MRI, we've determined that the cause of my pain after the car accident was a small hip labral tear as well as my sciatic foramina is really inflamed. I got an injection in my hip on Christmas Eve, and the doctor's recommendation is to do physical therapy for a few months, and if in 3-6 months the pain is back or isn't getting better, to get an MRI with contrast to diagnose the tear further. The MRI also found a cyst I need to get looked at, which is completely unrelated, but should get looked at. 

So: 

a) Find a good physical therapist, and get a good plan moving forward for physical therapy

b) Get set up with a doctor here in VA

2) EXERCISE

a) Go for at least a 10 minute walk every morning with Madi. This will not only help my moods, but Madi likes it too. I notice a large decrease in depression when I walk every morning, so that's a great place to start. 

sub-buzz-20946-1516229767-2.jpg?downsize

b) Work up to exercise every day (10 minute walk doesn't count) by the end of the challenge. I know this image isn't exercising, but swole Chidi in the produce aisle is the closest thing I could find to an exercise gif:

Dp6kNFiVYAA8hGu.jpg

Week 1: Exercise 4x

Week 2: Exercise 5x

Week 3: Exercise 6x

Week 4: Exercise 7x

3) FOOD

giphy.gif

Back to logging! I'd like to figure out a good macro goal for myself for when I get back to lifting seriously again, but I need to start with logging. So log everything I eat. No goals other than just logging. 

4) MENTAL GAME

This is the hardest for me, and especially moving someplace where winter is a "thing", I need to make sure I stay on top of my moods, depression, and anxiety. 

sub-buzz-2116-1509658428-3.png?downsize=

a) Focus on positive attitude, everywhere. If I start to think anything negative, stop the thought and start thinking about something else, to prevent a downward spiral that turns into something worse. 

b) Treat others how I'd like to be treated. When I get anxious in public, I don't like how I act.

giphy.gif

Okay, so I'm not like THAT. But I definitely feel that I have a hard time not showing my anxiety when I'm out and it gets overwhelming, for both me and others, and it's something I've always wanted to work on. Plans are to focus on some breathing exercises and some mental exercises my therapist gave me. 

sub-buzz-31146-1509655268-2.png?downsize

5) BE MORE DECISIVE

sub-buzz-22110-1516229740-3.png?downsize

I have a lot of decisions I need to make coming up - new doctor, new gyms, new stuff for the new place - and I tend to go into over analysis paralysis and waste time making trivial decisions. So I'm putting time limits on them, and after the time is up, I have to go with what I think is best out of those choices, and not worry if there are more that I don't know about. 

Goal here: 

Big Decision: No more than 1 hour

Medium Decision: No more than 30 minutes

Small Decision: No more than 10 minutes

6) Get set up in Virginia / Life

giphy.gif

a) I have a list of things I need to get done here, which include the DMV, finding grocery stores, etc. - and get a routine set up. So this will be a big part of this challenge, is just getting set up here, so next challenge, I'll have my batcave all set up :) 

Week 1: Write out list of everything I need to do :) 

b) DETERMINE MY 2019 GOALS. I was so busy moving I didn't set up my 2019 goals :) So I will do that in January!

c) The rest of my stuff doesn't get here till the 16th - so after that will be unpacking and setting up my office. Once that's set up, I want to focus on routines and setting up my batcave for success to help me with those goals. 

Okay, I think that's enough! More soon!

giphy.gif

• Like 8

Happy unpacking/settling! 

The good place is the best show on television right now, possibly ever. Excellent theme choice.

Glad to hear of a diagnosis for your pain, hopefully you can get it sorted over the next few months.

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to cuss less, so I edited the auto correct on my phone to change any cuss words to their variants from The Good Place. So for example, if I try to stay the f word, it gives me "fork", and if I try to say God Damn it, it gives me Gosh Darn It. It now does the same thing on my computer and iPad (since I'm all apple so everything is connected).

There is a "the good place" google chrome extension which does this for anything you read. It's fantastic.

I have not heard of this program, must look into it. But I love everything about this challenge. Especially the part where you and Madi get the win-win combo of less depression for you plus happy-puppy-happy-time for her.

50 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Happy unpacking/settling! 

The good place is the best show on television right now, possibly ever. Excellent theme choice.

Glad to hear of a diagnosis for your pain, hopefully you can get it sorted over the next few months.

There is a "the good place" google chrome extension which does this for anything you read. It's fantastic.

OMG. This is my new favorite thing. Installed. 

And I'm SUPER relieved to finally just have a diagnosis. Because a lot of it is inflammation based, it was super frustrating - some days would go amazing and others would just go to shit. And now I understand why, and that alone helps my mental state SO much. 

Wonderful challenge and goals...what is that show? It seems like it might be right up my alley.

I agree with the mentality change...What I've learned over the years: Things really are okay, I just don't like where I'm at...but the state of the universe, and life in general is okay.

What helps me is realizing I'm not qualified to pass judgements on what is/isn't okay (cause I never think things are okay).

Great luck...and following!

29 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I have not heard of this program, must look into it. But I love everything about this challenge. Especially the part where you and Madi get the win-win combo of less depression for you plus happy-puppy-happy-time for her.

it's my favorite thing on TV right now - definitely worth a watch. I could have added 10 more goals related to things they talk about, but I had to stop myself, haha. Maybe a second challenge!

And yes, that's the number one depression managing thing. I just need to get some cold weather clothes and shoes! It's COLD here!

12 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here to follow and spearhead the attempt to get HEB to open a store in Virginia.

YES PLEASE I MISS IT SO MUCH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farflight said:

Wonderful challenge and goals...what is that show? It seems like it might be right up my alley.

I agree with the mentality change...What I've learned over the years: Things really are okay, I just don't like where I'm at...but the state of the universe, and life in general is okay.

What helps me is realizing I'm not qualified to pass judgements on what is/isn't okay (cause I never think things are okay).

Great luck...and following!

you should definitely watch it - though watch the full first season before reading anything about it. I promise it's worth it :)

I saw a new therapist 3 times before I left, and she said a few things that have really been super helpful for me. One is to remove should from my vocabulary - for other people. So I had removed it from my vocabulary when talking about myself, but I caught myself saying things like "Well, they SHOULD be doing X". or "They SHOULD NOT do Y".  But guess what? It's not my decision on what they SHOULD be doing. And if they want to throw their gym bag on the gym floor and let it explode 3 5lb tubs of protein powder all over th eplace - it's not my gym, and it's up to the owners to decide what they should or should not be doing. Letting it get to me has no positive change on my life. 

And that mindset change has been life changing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

a) Focus on positive attitude, everywhere. If I start to think anything negative, stop the thought and start thinking about something else, to prevent a downward spiral that turns into something worse. 

b) Treat others how I'd like to be treated. When I get anxious in public, I don't like how I act.

Okay, so I'm not like THAT. But I definitely feel that I have a hard time not showing my anxiety when I'm out and it gets overwhelming, for both me and others, and it's something I've always wanted to work on. Plans are to focus on some breathing exercises and some mental exercises my therapist gave me. 

I'm still working on this stuff too. 

a) This stuff is really hard but it does get better with practice. One of the hardest things I found with changing my negative thought patterns was identifying when they were happening quickly enough to counteract them. I found it helpful to sit down in the evenings and write down any negative thoughts that had been sticking with me all day, and refute them realistically. It eventually carried over to being more able to do that a bit more easily in the moment. For thoughts that retain a strong emotional impression even after I logically contradict them, I imagine placing them into a small box, closing the lid and tucking it under the bed.

b) I'd like to work on this, too. I stay pretty cool when I have my routine, but get easily stressed by new things, then I don't like how my stress spills onto my companions. I've noticed meditation helps, I just need to remember and have the discipline to use it at the right moment. I've been trying to remind myself that my emotions are not inevitable, they're caused by my (biased) thoughts about the (probably neutral) situation. 

Much strength and calm to you. 

• Like 3

How have I managed not to hear about about this show until now? The memes look like Scrubs memes, but with so much more snark.

Is this in Netflix? Please tell me it's on Netflix?

16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

How have I managed not to hear about about this show until now? The memes look like Scrubs memes, but with so much more snark.

It's on Netflix. Mrs G and I are watching season 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spezzy said:

And I'm SUPER relieved to finally just have a diagnosis. Because a lot of it is inflammation based, it was super frustrating - some days would go amazing and others would just go to shit. And now I understand why, and that alone helps my mental state SO much.

tenor.gif?itemid=7292992;) 

7 hours ago, spezzy said:

I saw a new therapist 3 times before I left, and she said a few things that have really been super helpful for me. One is to remove should from my vocabulary - for other people. So I had removed it from my vocabulary when talking about myself, but I caught myself saying things like "Well, they SHOULD be doing X". or "They SHOULD NOT do Y".  But guess what? It's not my decision on what they SHOULD be doing. And if they want to throw their gym bag on the gym floor and let it explode 3 5lb tubs of protein powder all over th eplace - it's not my gym, and it's up to the owners to decide what they should or should not be doing. Letting it get to me has no positive change on my life. 

And that mindset change has been life changing. 

It's so freeing to be able to let go of stuff like that, and it isn't a skill I learned started learning until recently. Also, it's never a good idea to should on yourself or others (If you say it fast it's kinda funny)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's on Netflix. Mrs G and I are watching season 1.

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Outstanding. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

YES. SO good. 

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm still working on this stuff too. 

a) This stuff is really hard but it does get better with practice. One of the hardest things I found with changing my negative thought patterns was identifying when they were happening quickly enough to counteract them. I found it helpful to sit down in the evenings and write down any negative thoughts that had been sticking with me all day, and refute them realistically. It eventually carried over to being more able to do that a bit more easily in the moment. For thoughts that retain a strong emotional impression even after I logically contradict them, I imagine placing them into a small box, closing the lid and tucking it under the bed.

b) I'd like to work on this, too. I stay pretty cool when I have my routine, but get easily stressed by new things, then I don't like how my stress spills onto my companions. I've noticed meditation helps, I just need to remember and have the discipline to use it at the right moment. I've been trying to remind myself that my emotions are not inevitable, they're caused by my (biased) thoughts about the (probably neutral) situation. 

Much strength and calm to you. 

That's not a bad idea at all - I definitely have a hard time recognizing them in the moment before it gets "too late" (when you go down that negativity spiral). Ill have to give it a shot!

I think for me, a and b tie in together - because a lot of the negative thoughts come with the anxiety. So working on dealing with both IN THE MOMENT right away (I have some breathing exercises that are good, too). A previous therapist had me leaving the situation completely, but this new one had me just staying in the situation to prove to myself that it's really not bad and I can totally handle it, and I like that solution better (though maybe before I wasn't ready to tackle the solution itself, so leaving was a better solution at the time). Who knows, hah. 

So hard regardless. Let me know if you find anything else that works for you!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7292992;) 

It's so freeing to be able to let go of stuff like that, and it isn't a skill I learned started learning until recently. Also, it's never a good idea to should on yourself or others (If you say it fast it's kinda funny)

hahahah it appears the auto correct only works with apps that are connected to the cloud (and where I set up the correction). I'll have to see about setting it up on my full computer too, hahaha. 

And absolutely. The biggest thing I had issues "removing should" from were things that I considered common consideration for others. But - as i've started to remind myself, what one person considers inconsiderate, another considers normal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

And absolutely. The biggest thing I had issues "removing should" from were things that I considered common consideration for others. But - as i've started to remind myself, what one person considers inconsiderate, another considers normal

Words can be fun...

Other words to consider removing from your vocabulary might include: would, could, and why....

They all tend (at least in my experience) to imply judgement and negativity to some degree. Even the phrasing "wouldn't it be nice if...." implies that what we've got isn't good enough (again, going back into that judgement space) :-D, and a lack of accepting things as they are (this gets spoken a lot in 12 step literature)

Good job working on noticing when you're not accepting, that's shit, crap, damnit....stuff is hard to do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farflight said:

Words can be fun...

Other words to consider removing from your vocabulary might include: would, could, and why....

They all tend (at least in my experience) to imply judgement and negativity to some degree. Even the phrasing "wouldn't it be nice if...." implies that what we've got isn't good enough (again, going back into that judgement space) :-D, and a lack of accepting things as they are (this gets spoken a lot in 12 step literature)

Good job working on noticing when you're not accepting, that's shirt, crap, damnit....stuff is hard to do

Yeah, absolutely. The big thing that we always said in my family was "the woulda, coulda, shouldas". And now even when someone says "I should have done X" the immediate reply is "woulda, coulda, shoulda!" - a nice way of saying you can't change it, so it doesn't matter what you would have, could have, or should have done. 

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

Yeah, absolutely. The big thing that we always said in my family was "the woulda, coulda, shouldas". And now even when someone says "I should have done X" the immediate reply is "woulda, coulda, shoulda!" - a nice way of saying you can't change it, so it doesn't matter what you would have, could have, or should have done. 

This kind of reminds me of Yoda's classic "Do or do not, there is no try". Though applying it to other people and eliminating a "should" attitude towards others is really interesting to me - I never even thought about how much potential anxiety I'm allowing others to put on me just by me semi-judging/thinking they "should" be doing something differently.  I'm going to try to incorporate this attitude into my life - thanks!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Raxie said:

This kind of reminds me of Yoda's classic "Do or do not, there is no try". Though applying it to other people and eliminating a "should" attitude towards others is really interesting to me - I never even thought about how much potential anxiety I'm allowing others to put on me just by me semi-judging/thinking they "should" be doing something differently.  I'm going to try to incorporate this attitude into my life - thanks!!

Yeah, I hadn't either, and removing my expectations on everyone else around me has really helped a lot. I'm still not great with it (obviously why i'm working on it here), but it's already made a huge difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spezzy said:

my expectations on everyone else around me has really helped a lot.

Don't forget about expectations for yourself, those can be just as damaging...and will bring up the terrible "shoulda, woulda, coulda" demons quickly.

On another note...watched the first episode of The good place at your recommendation...feel kinda like an ashhole for not knowing about this show earlier, although it does kind of remind me of "Dead Like Me"

AmbitiousEvergreenIsabellinewheatear-sma

A wonderfully sarcastic but short lived show. Here's hoping good place has a longer run

Okay! Last few days:

Tuesday's workout:

3 Push Press + 3 Push Jerk - worked up to 3 work sets, 135, 135, 140

Strict Press - 95x5, 70x10, 55x20, 45x20

Then lots of accessories

Wednesday: 

Just walked Mads

Thursday:

8x3 Power Clean at 125-135

3x20 Safety Bar Squat

Then 8rounds of:

Max distance handstand walk

20 lunges (10 per leg)

30 seconds rest

Walked Mads first thing yesterday and tuesday, but didn't today because we got up first thing and took her to her evaluation at a new daycare place, and then I went to the gym. We will go for a walk this evening after she gets home. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, farflight said:

although it does kind of remind me of "Dead Like Me"

Uhm OK I was not going to add The Good Place to my queue because I just have too many shows but this just put me over the edge.  Dead Like Me was so good!!! (Let's please forget about the movie though)

• Like 1