• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Gives Up

Friday

I didn't end up going to bed early last night, but I got some good domestic rangering in which makes me feel calmer so I felt much better by the time I went to bed.

Exercise - 9Round workout. Barely apparently. We got some "nasty" weather that IMO wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be but it was icy and the gym closed at 6ish, I got there around 5:30. It was a good workout and relatively quiet. I tried to keep in mind "packing my shoulders" but only 1 of the 3 times I planked were static ones. The other two involved moving (slamming a pad in front of me and moving a dumbbell around while planking)

Food - Good day again. I had my normal breakfast. I really wasn't feeling the lunch I brought with me and ended up going out for a smoothie instead. Then I made chipotle noodles for dinner and ended up perfectly within my calorie goal.

fc227092aeb17e4f803808abf869e713.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday

Exercise - Went to the free gym and lifted some heavy weights. I'm pretty happy with the selection exercises I have now. Squat, bench press, deadlift, lat pulldown, ohp, RDL, bicep curls, pushups, and tricep dip (I think that's everything....). Now to hit those consistently so I can make some serious gains, I'm starting pretty low so lots of room for easy gains :)

Food - Did well again. Hubs made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Lunch was leftovers and dinner was a large salad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Food - Did well again. Hubs made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Lunch was leftovers and dinner was a large salad.

As someone who has never had or witnessed this "biscuits and gravy" thing, it sounds like the oddest breakfast choice one could make.  But I bet it was delicious.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

As someone who has never had or witnessed this "biscuits and gravy" thing, it sounds like the oddest breakfast choice one could make.  But I bet it was delicious.

Really? They haven't made it up north yet? We have your poutine :)

It is a very 'murican thing and normally I'm just so-so on it because it uses a sausage gravy which I didn't even like when I ate meat. But there's a really good veggie sausage called Gimme Lean (Lifelite brand) that even sausage loving Hubs says is better that real sausage gravy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaemonCorax said:

Just popping in to say hi! I'm thoroughly enjoying all the postcard gif thingies.

Lol. Thanks! I have fun finding them

On that note, every time I deadlift. I'm pretty sure it's appropriate soreness but have heard too many horror stories to now worry

0f7361f21f5a4c7afb4963625795a7c4.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

Food - Did well again. Hubs made biscuits and gravy for breakfast

I'm a born and bred southern girl and I never understood the appeal of biscuits and gravy.  BUT  I've never had biscuits and gravy at home, just restaurants and college eateries.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doe said:

I'm a born and bred southern girl and I never understood the appeal of biscuits and gravy.  BUT  I've never had biscuits and gravy at home, just restaurants and college eateries.

I can only remember eating it at Cracker Barrel and the way Mom makes it that we stole. At Cracker Barrel I usually ignored the gravy because it's not very good (though they're biscuits are like crack!)

Sunday

Exercise - rest day

Food - Mostly good. Normal breakfast, leftovers for lunch and a salad for dinner. Then I ate two of Hubs lemon Oreos even though I don't like oreos.Was within calories goal but could have done without the cookies and had more real food instead

Last night I had problems sleeping because my brain wouldn't turn off so I was trying to figure out how to work a second heavy lifting day into my schedule. Still haven't quite figured it out but I think I do want to try and make it work. It would be easier without a job... :D

c2d428c390c3730b6ee35f358f7e0dc5.jpg

Week 2 wrap-up

Exercise - 100%

I did 9Rounds three times, core work once, and lifting once. Like I said above, I would like to try to add another lifting day but I have to figure how to fit it in my schedule, preferably at a time when the free gym is usually empty

Food - 100%

I did really well again this week and was within my goal range every day

I feel like my goals must have been set too low if I'm nailing them 100% but both are quite a bit above what I was doing before. I'm just super motivated right now. Hopefully I actually found a workout system that I will continue to love that I can really stick with long term, even when the motivation wears off

70fcbd4dc353eb68278ff6c91828a7c6.jpg

37 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I feel like my goals must have been set too low if I'm nailing them 100% but both are quite a bit above what I was doing before. I'm just super motivated right now. Hopefully I actually found a workout system that I will continue to love that I can really stick with long term, even when the motivation wears off

Image result for this is too easy gif

Success is kind of scary when it starts happening. You'll get used to it. :)  Maybe just enjoy being on top of things for a while before adding more lifting days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Success is kind of scary when it starts happening. You'll get used to it. :)  Maybe just enjoy being on top of things for a while before adding more lifting days.

I'm also only cautiously optimistic because I've had success before only to have it peter out pretty quickly. This does seem to be the easiest workout plan for me to stick to even though it's more intense than I've done in the past

I definitely won't be ramping up this week since we have a concert tomorrow which would be the day I add in the second lifting session (moving the core workout to Thurs and/or alternating Fri). If I go in next week it'll be more recon to see if after dinner is a good time or not

• Like 1

Monday

Exercise - Another great 9Round workout. Not much to say that I haven't already. I'm really enjoying kicking things :)

Food - Right on track. I had my normal breakfast and leftovers for lunch. After work I was feeling a bit shakey so I stopped at the convenience shop to buy a protein bar before hitting the gym. Dinner was a salad and some sweet potato fries

e5dddbe9ce4b9a739a0e45b0f8af92f4.jpg

Sounds awesome -

Yeah, you're probably learning lifting things really fast now, and you may plateau in a bit. When you do, dial back your increases when your form suffers.

As for deadlift pain - where does it hurt? If it's the classic lower back, check your form. Different people need different butt heights in a deadlift depending on body proportion. If your hamstrings aren't in the game from the get go, raise your hips while keeping your back steady (straight-ish, a little concave, but not extensively so, and not rounded) and watcing the line of your arm from shoulder to bar.  Or really, just see what Alan Thrall has to say about it.

• Like 1

I've been "lifting" on and off for about 6 years now (mostly off obviously) so I'm fairly confident on most lifts. I'm the least so on deadlifts but fairly sure it's not bad enough (or heavy enough) for injury. I want to record a lift some time but have to either figure out how or drag Hubs with me :)

The soreness was along the sides of my back (lats maybe?) and is already gone. It was not bad at all, I'm just paranoid because of too many horror stories combined with it being the lift I'm less confident on my form about

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I've been "lifting" on and off for about 6 years now (mostly off obviously) so I'm fairly confident on most lifts.

Yeah with that kind of experience, you'll be diligent with the form. I lifted consistently for a couple years and then had it disappear and be replaced by climbing, so I hear ya! :) Stay away from injuries that feel like a "ping." Deadlifts are my favorite, and since I'm just lifting as support work for my climbing right now, I haven't gotten the motivation to start OHP yet - OHP was my weak spot. It just sounds like maybe things are getting tired from the effort it takes to keep your core super stable with DL.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Yeah with that kind of experience, you'll be diligent with the form. I lifted consistently for a couple years and then had it disappear and be replaced by climbing, so I hear ya! :) Stay away from injuries that feel like a "ping." Deadlifts are my favorite, and since I'm just lifting as support work for my climbing right now, I haven't gotten the motivation to start OHP yet - OHP was my weak spot. It just sounds like maybe things are getting tired from the effort it takes to keep your core super stable with DL.

Yup, those "ping" injuries are why I don't do cleans. I tweaked my shoulder doing them a while back.

My OHP is super weak, I'm just doing 15lbs dumbbells (x2) and struggling by the end.

I ate too much sushi and my throat is raw but I finally got to see Disturbed in concert! And Three Days Grace. But Disturbed!!

IMG_20190122_220458126_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190122_193243001_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

• Like 1

Tuesday

Exercise - I had intended to do a core workout while dinner cooked but as you'll see below I didn't end up cooking. I can easily make this up Friday though so no points lost yet

Food - Fail. I don't regret the food but it wasn't on plan. I had my normal breakfast and leftovers for lunch. I planned to make Peanut Stew for dinner but Hubs talked me into going out to eat before the concert. I did pick sushi over the burger place since it's probably healthier. But then I also let him talk me into a third roll (in addition to the three for him) which neither of us ended up liking much. THEN we had 45 minutes until the concert started two blocks away so we ordered a dessert to waste some time. It was delicious but I was probably WAY over my calorie goal by that point

The concert was awesome!! Both bands were great and had so much energy. Turns out one of my coworkers was there too and while I didn't see him we were talking about it and other recent concerts this morning and he was surprised to learn I'm such a hard rock fan

Tonight is game night so no workout again but I think I figured out how to add in a second lifting day and Hubs is okay with giving it a try so I think I'll give it a shot next week. I should foam roll my quads tonight though, they're pretty tight today

• Like 1

Wednesday

Exercise - rest day since it was game night

Food - Fail again. I had my normal breakfast then a vegan protein cookie thing in the morning that I'd impulse bought. Then Boss's husband brought us lunch and made vegetarian chili just for me so I had two bowls of that, a baked potato and some veggies. I wasn't really hungry for dinner but ended up feeling snacky so I had a small soup cup, some pretzels, an Oreo, and a snack bag of Doritos. Nothing horrible but surely over calorie goal and not eating for real hunger or fuelling

I didn't end up stretching/foam rolling because I barely got home before people started showing up. Still need it so hopefully tonight I'll make it work

• Like 1

Thursday

Exercise - Made it to kickboxing and had a great workout

Food - Back on track. Normal breakfast, smoothie for lunch since I'm out of leftovers, and Peanut Butter Udon for dinner. Calories were right on goal

fd19a8bf97001fea1392834bacd5a3af.jpg

• Like 1

Friday

Exercise - I mean to make up the core workout but I think the week of not enough sleep caught up to me. I was just exhausted when I got home and ended up going to bed around 8:30 after dozing off on the couch

Food - Not horrible, but involved some mindless munching. I had my normal breakfast and leftovers for lunch. I had planned on making Peanut Stew for dinner but by the time I got home Hubs had been too hungry to wait for me and had already eaten his leftovers for dinner (pot roast he had earlier in the week). So I made some more PB&J oatmeal for dinner, then cleaned out the last bit of peanut butter from the jar so I could wash it (probably 2 tablespoons worth) and then mindlessly munched on pretzels because I was exhausted and out of sorts. I was over my calorie goal but not ridiculously so.

According to my Fitbit I got almost 10 hours of sleep last night and I'm feeling a lot better today (though grouchy right now after sitting downtown for 20 minutes while protestors blocked the main road....)

ea0ee9fdaeff557980cf686175ba3d6d.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday

After finally getting a good night's sleep I felt a lot better today. And I still got a nice doze in this afternoon (not quite a nap, I don't think I fully fell asleep). I think I might also have been a bit under-fueled lately which could have contributed to my crash this week so I'm going to be raising my calorie goal by 100-200 a day and see how I feel.

Exercise - I went kickboxing and killed it. In the evening I attempted to make up the core workout I was supposed to do Tuesday, but I just wasn't feeling it. I think I may drop that from my workout goal. Giving up on something else :) I just don't like doing it and if I have to fight myself to do it then it's not gonna happen. I do have a plan to try adding a second lifting day in though. I'll kickbox Mon, Wed, and Fri every week and lift either Tues and Sat or Sun and Thurs. Ideally it would be Tues and Sat since Hubs is gone Saturday afternoon/evenings but we tend to have plans Tuesdays. Last week was a concert, this coming week is a movie. Actually, it's movies kinda often since the local theaters do $5 Tuesdays so that's always when we go. So Tuesday might just be a designated date night. I was afraid Hubs would be annoyed by kickboxing every Wednesday since it would make me late to our bi-weekly game night but when I brought it up he just kinda laughed "We never actually start until after you'd get home anyway. As long as your character is leveled up it'll be fine". He's such a good supportive Hubby even if he doesn't understand why I want to do this exercise thing :)

Food - Hubs made biscuits and gravy for breakfast again (seems to be becoming a weekend tradition). Between sleeping in and having to run to the store for the gravy it was kind of a late breakfast. After Hubs left for gaming I had a late lunch (or early supper..?) of Peanut Stew....FINALLY! I planned on making it Tuesday before the concert but got talked into sushi. Then I planned on making it yesterday but Hubs couldn't wait for me to get home to eat. It was delicious and now I have leftovers again :)

I am struggling with meal planning again though. Between working out and eating less of the dinners and more of the salads I'm failing at making sure I have food to eat without drowning in leftovers. Which for some reason makes me anxious when I try to make as shopping list. I should have gone today but the only thing that ended up on my list was peanut butter and salt. I have no idea what we're eating tomorrow and Hubs is gone so I can't make him help me decide these things.

649880cfe61964d309bcb33ea5c2f74a.jpg

• Like 2

Bumping up your calories a little sounds wise. You might need to again as you add in more exercise days. :)

I hear you on the food front. My week is much more stressful if I don't sit down with the hubby on Sunday and sketch out a cooking plan for the week. 

Peanut stew... So many new foods on your  thread!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Bumping up your calories a little sounds wise. You might need to again as you add in more exercise days. :)

Yeah. Since my primary focus for the short term is to kickstart the weight loss I've been a bit lower than I should be knowing it couldn't last. Especially since I've been adding in so much exercise. I could tell it was starting to catch up to me and combined with the lack of sleep it caught up quicker

I hear you on the food front. My week is much more stressful if I don't sit down with the hubby on Sunday and sketch out a cooking plan for the week.

For me it's silly because Hubs is very little help in actually figuring things out, and does very little of the cooking so it's mostly on me anyway. Shopping still had not happened and people just showed up for our board game night so it's not gonna happen today. We'll probably survive on snack foods for dinner tonight and basic pasta with sauce tomorrow. I did get more salad while grabbing stuff for the bean dip so I at least have that though Hubs doesn't think a salad is a meal

Peanut stew... So many new foods on your  thread!

Lol. I just don't cook "normal" foods. Here's the recipe for the stew. I add in a head of cauliflower and carrots (a pound maybe?) instead of the collard greens since I really hate cooked leafy veg

• Like 1