• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Gives Up

Okay, I'm not really giving up. It would be silly to post a new challenge to say "F*ck it, I'm outta here!" :)

I'm giving up on trying to do the things I think I should be doing and focus on the things I will actually do.

What am I giving up? Running.

I'm not going to have any goals (stated or quiet, sneaky ones) for running. I'm even thinking about skipping my trail run this weekend because I'm just not feeling it.

I've been trying to be semi-active on the boards but with the new job I'm not browsing the interwebs all day (aaaalllll dddddaaaayyyyyy) like I did at my old one so I just don't have the time or inclination to keep up as much. I'll still be reading but posting will probably go down to nearly nothing.

Caffeine consumption has gone back up and right now I can't care enough to do something about it. My mood has overall been really good so as long as anxiety doesn't creep back in I'm not going to worry about it until at least after tax season

Worrying too much about creating trash (at the expense of healthy decisions). Attempts at moderation that are keeping me in a stall. I'll talk about these a bit in the Food section below

What am I doing?

Exercise

9Rounds kickboxing 3 times a week. I'm really enjoying this gym and the set up is perfect for my situation. I will go either Mon/Wed/Fri or Mon/Thur/Sat every week.

Lifting once a week at the free gym. I'm a little limited since they don't have squat or bench racks, but I'll make do with what they have. My focus will be on large, compound exercises (squat, bench, deadlift, ohp) to complement the HIIT workout at 9Rounds. Since it's just once a week I'll probably have the same workout every time, I just need to experiment to figure out what that's going to be. This will probably be Saturday evenings while Hubs is at his weekly RPG game I dropped out of, but maybe Sunday if I do 9Rounds in the morning

Core once a week. My core (abs and back) is incredibly weak. I need to focus on that area some more so I'm going to dedicate a short workout each week. I'd like to find a set routine that works all the core muscles and isn't too miserable, but this needs experimentation too. This will most likely be Tuesdays

Food

I'm going to focus more on food and on making healthier decisions. I think trying to balance moderation with health with hippy goals with life has been the main reason my weight loss has been stalled. So I'm going to just focus on eating healthy and real foods even if it comes with some waste (like prechopped vegetables in plastic tubs). I will be working harder to stay at a reasonable deficit even if it means (*gasp!*) throwing away food

And that's it. Exercise, food, and my job will be my focus for this challenge

• Like 4

So catching up a bit

Sunday

Exercise - Rest day (I lifted Saturday)

Food - Not too bad. I made pancakes but actually measured out how much batter (from a mix) I used instead of just eyeballing it and put a reasonable amount of peanut butter and syrup on mine and kept it to a 560calorie breakfast (instead of probably close to double I would normally do). I also managed to keep the snacking on chips people brought for game night to a minimum (probably only 1 serving worth). Stuck within my overall calorie goal

Monday

Exercise - 9Rounds. It was their anniversary so they had a big to-do about it and everyone that came in got a shirt and there were random door prizes. It was packed but still a good workout. I got paired up with another person and while she was fitter than me, it wasn't by as much as I expected so I didn't feel like a complete slacker

Food - Good. I had my normal breakfast (watching my dallops of PB and jelly since they've been getting way oversized lately), leftovers or lunch, and a crockpot meal for dinner. I wanted another serving of dinner because it was so good, but stopped to stay within calories

Tuesday

Exercise - I did a core workout I found on Pinterest. There are a few exercises I'm going to nix and some others I want to try adding in. I did 2 rounds and would like to do 3 once I figure out the right mix

Food - Good again. I brought leftovers for lunch but wasn't feeling them (high calorie with oil and white rice) so I ran to the grocery store and bought precut veggies (in a plastic tub :ambivalence: ) and apple and some raw almonds. Dinner was one of my weird but yummy recipes. Hubs and I can easily finish the entire thing off (2 servings each) but I stuck with one and stayed within my calorie goal

• Like 2

Following along. Looks like a nice mindful challenge on the food side especially!

Not eating the second serving at dinner may just be a nice way to recalibrate what your bday thinks of as "full" vs "hungry."

Your kickboxing class sounds awesome! Great consistent schedule.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maigs said:

Okay, I'm not really giving up. It would be silly to post a new challenge to say "F*ck it, I'm outta here!" :)

I sort of wish you had. That would show real style :P 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Following along. Looks like a nice mindful challenge on the food side especially!

Not eating the second serving at dinner may just be a nice way to recalibrate what your bday thinks of as "full" vs "hungry."

Your kickboxing class sounds awesome! Great consistent schedule.

Welcome! You're one of the people whose challenges I've been reading but not commenting on. 

I really enjoy kickboxing! It was my favorite class at my old gym too. And I even HATE HIIT but apparently not when I'm hitting something :)

a5b30020e223894d5decaaef3d5c80b0.jpg

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I sort of wish you had. That would show real style :P 

Lol. If I ever do give up the boards I'll make sure to do it in style :)

Wednesday

Exercise - Rest day since it's game night

Food - Good day. I had my normal breakfast, the high calorie leftovers I passed on yesterday, and a half serving of last night's dinner and raw veggies for dinner. I wasn't even tempted by the chocolate cake and chips that are out at game night. Overall calories came in right at goal.

I actually thought of a reward for this challenge. The climbing gym the next town over has an Intro to Bouldering class a week after the challenge ends. I still have to figure out scoring but my reward will be to do that and check out the vegan restaurant out there

87a49a5933d0ade1df2c3fe6675bbcde.jpg

• Like 2

Thursday

Food - Very good again. Normal breakfast, leftover chili for lunch, homemade french bread pizza and salad for dinner. Well within my goal range

Exercise - 9Rounds workout. Much quieter than Monday and of course a great workout.

82767883e79f9b4499824bb5973f5756.jpg

• Like 2

Friday

Exercise - Rest day

Food - On point again. I ran out of peanut butter (!!!) so I got a smoothie on my way to work. Lunch was leftover chili and dinner was corn chowder. Calories were within my goal range

I decided for sure that I'm skipping my trail run tomorrow in favor of hitting the gym. I'm just really not feeling the run. I may also lift in the evening tomorrow if I'm feeling it or I may wait until Sunday. Food prep will also happen this weekend. I need to get some stuff in the freezer soon in preparation for tax season so hopefully I'll get some of these burritos, a casserole or two, and some muffins made (banana bread for Hubs and bran for me)

My status updates are short and uninspiring, but I'm really excited about being (and staying!) back on track. I'm excited about hitting the gym and about planning out my meals. I'm hoping I hit my second (third?) wind with this journey

2b8f67f0184b919067b8f9fa6da1fbeb.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday

Exercise - Went to 9Rounds in the morning despite 4-6 inches of snow. Got a bit of a workout just clearing my car off, shoveling around my car as I went so I didn't soak my feet in the process. Had a great workout which included my highest calorie burn yet (400cals!). Then when I got home I shoveled the rest of the driveway, sidewalk, and patio. I decided to push my lifting back to tomorrow, mostly because I didn't want to head out in the snow again

Food - Good again. Hubs made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. After my workout I had half of a "Complete Cookie" protein cookie thing I bought on a whim at the smoothie place yesterday. Then I didn't get hungry again until mid-afternoon so I had a late lunch/early dinner of leftovers. In the evening I ate 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter while cleaning out my empty peanut butter jar. Overall calories were technically a tiny bit higher than my goal, but with the workout and shoveling I'm perfectly okay with that

Edit: just looked at my log and realized I put in the PB wrong and my calories were spot on

369f4a599f89b1a77cf018d936cf2319.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in your same boat this challenge.  Lots of reading, little posting, but I needed the structure again.  Glad everything seems to be going well.

• Like 1

Sunday

Exercise - Made it to the free gym for some heavy lifting. Still tweaking my routine but today felt really good. I think I have the exercises figured out but need to adjust the order and create supersets. I added in RDL's and pushups because I forgot them last week and tricep extensions because mine need work.

Food - Right on track. Breakfast was my normal, lunch was a salad, dinner was Mexican Quinoa. I stuck to my guns and didn't go out for breakfast like Hubs suggested after he last minute decided he wanted to see the Spider-verse movie (which was surprisingly good. I didn't like the animation style, but the story and writing were better than expected).

Week 1 Wrap-up

Exercise - 100%

9Rounds 3 times, core work once, and heaving lifting once

Food - 100%

I was within my calorie goal every day. It took some work, but more on the planning side than the willpower side

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maigs said:

Exercise - 100%

6 hours ago, Maigs said:

Food - 100%

AWESOME JOB!!!

• Thanks 1

Monday

Exercise - 9Round workout. The good news is that my stamina for holding squats seems to be getting better. The bad news is my planks are not. The core round was simply to hold a plank the entire time. Oddly enough it seemed to be my shoulders that were holding me back more than my core. I'll have to pay attention to see if that's usually the case or not.

Food - On point again. Normal breakfast, leftovers for lunch, big ol' salad for dinner

3abfbd9572518e160db6b8d9120309e4.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maigs said:

The core round was simply to hold a plank the entire time. Oddly enough it seemed to be my shoulders that were holding me back more than my core. I'll have to pay attention to see if that's usually the case or not.

Planks are hard. I also find that it is my shoulders that give out before my abs do on most occasions. I know my shoulders are a weak area for me and relatively my core is really strong.  

• Like 1

Hmmm planks.

If your shoulders are giving you trouble try thinking about how far forward you are rocking over your hands. Think about packing in your shoulder blades (like for a deadlift). If you go to your elbows, do you feel more stable?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Planks are hard. I also find that it is my shoulders that give out before my abs do on most occasions. I know my shoulders are a weak area for me and relatively my core is really strong.  

My core definitely isn't strong either but I was surprised at how hard it felt yesterday for my shoulders. Something to work on either way

4 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Hmmm planks.

If your shoulders are giving you trouble try thinking about how far forward you are rocking over your hands. Think about packing in your shoulder blades (like for a deadlift). If you go to your elbows, do you feel more stable?

I was trying to adjust my position to make sure I was square but the mirrors are never low enough to check for sure. I was actually on my elbows last night. I think I usually feel somewhat stronger on my hands instead but I was babying my wrist a bit (I don't think I've mentioned my wrist issues, I'll have to go into more details tonight when I'm on my computer)

What do you mean about "packing in shoulder blades"? I haven't heard that phrase before

Mine do the same with planks. If I slightly squeeze my shoulder blades together and down, instead of rounding forward as I push into the ground, the resulting position is neutral and they don't tire as quickly.  Not sure if that's what DaemonCorax meant but it works for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Mine do the same with planks. If I slightly squeeze my shoulder blades together and down, instead of rounding forward as I push into the ground, the resulting position is neutral and they don't tire as quickly.  Not sure if that's what DaemonCorax meant but it works for me.

Ooh, I just tried that and it helped a lot! Thanks! I can't plank any longer that way, but it's easier on my shoulders and feels more like it's working my abs instead. I had a trainer a few years ago say I should try to push up (as in towards the sky) with my shoulder blades which now that I think about it I was doing in a way that kinda hunched my shoulders forward/down.

So my wrist: When I first started trying to go to the gym (6ish years ago) my right wrist started bothering me in certain positions, pushups being one of them. I actually went to the doctor and because there wasn't an "incident" that started the pain she just chalked it up to when I broke it when I was 8. It was really minor break and I only had a cast for like 3 weeks and didn't bother me for almost 20 years but whatever. The pain has come and gone over the last few years. It doesn't bother me usually but punching things has aggravated it a bit. It's getting better so I think it just needs strengthened but I'm avoiding pushup positions and other things that aggravate it until it stops hurting

• Like 1

Tuesday

Exercise - I did a core workout today. I tried a different Pinterest routine and this one went pretty well. Still tweaking it but it seemed like a better fit for me than the last one. I read  @Kestrel Grey's comment between the two rounds and on the second plank pushed my shoulder blades together and down and it felt more like I think a plank should feel

Food - Another solid day. Normal breakfast, leftovers for lunch, potpie casserole for dinner. Calories were spot on goal

bb0b741dd772175caaa7ac5fda5b42a9.jpg

• Like 3

Wednesday

Exercise - 9Round day. It was a good workout as always. I definitely felt yesterdays core workout at times.

Food - On point again. Normal breakfast, leftovers for lunch, the other half of the protein cookie fro this weekend before my workout, and another big salad for dinner after.

07feed4ee1db13c85ccafb58a17e5a73.jpg

• Like 1

Thursday

Exercise - Rest day

Food - High end of but within my calorie goal. Normal breakfast and leftovers for lunch and dinner. I'm a bit grouchy today for no good reason but even though my subconscious wants to eat my grouchiness away, I know that doesn't actually work. I'm gonna do some domestic rangering and go to bed early tonight instead

243830e4125fb243fc6572fabc1aa226.jpg

Packing in shoulder blades: so there are two different motions that are good for paying attention to your shoulder blades. 1 is the classic "squeeze a pencil between you shoulder blades" feeling that works for wall angels and the like. 2 is what I think of as packing them in. This is drawing them down towards your ribs and away from your ears as you move them closer together. If you were standing looking in a mirror this would be "back and down." I think of it a lot for deadlifts to align the bar properly underneath me. When your upper back is rounded left to right in a plank, you are propping yourself more than holding yourself, if that makes sense. It's good to move around and see what good alignment feels like, then you can snap into it whenever you like. I think on your elbows it's harder to let your shoulder blades creep towards your ears, so maybe that's why it felt harder to do. Does that help?

• Like 1