• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

After years on and off the Nerdfitness train this year I have decided will be the year. This isn't exactly my first challenge, or rather my first attempted challenge, but it will be my first completed one. 

The Main Quest AKA Big Bold Year Long goals 

• Lose weight 
    • I will lose 1 kg a month for the year (ie. end each month 1kg lighter than I started it)
    • I will eat Keto/Paleo most of the time
  • Grow Strong/Learn to fight
    • I will continue with MMA/Grappling training 
    • I will do something physical each day (Darebee challenges, Zombies 5k etc)
    • I will start taking hikes with a weight in my backpack
  • Adventure
    • I will go on 100 different walks with my dog, ie: 100 walks that are different in some way, some new path or another direction
    • I will learn a new skill
  • Stability
    • I will feel financially stable and not worry each month if we have enough for the next pay check
      • I will work together with my wife when it comes to money stuff rather than feel it is all my burden
      • I will set aside money for my goals each month
    • I will start a IPS account (personal pension saving)

The current quest log  AKA  What I will do this challenge to work on the main quest

1. Start Keto and keep it until the end of the month
  2. Complete the Darebee 30 days of change 
  3. Go to MMA training every session where I don't have a conflicting RC meeting
  4. Check in to the YNAB budget every day

The side quests

1. Check in here every other day
  2. Set up work goals 

Loot

1. Bonsai wire 

I am going to need all the accountability I can get on this. In the past I have failed at checking in and then failed at completing the quests. 

• Like 6

Hello friend! I think you've got great goals and I hope that you post regularly so I can follow along! *\_0_/* Theres me being a cheerleader for you for this challenge! Go CraftyViking, GO! 

@Ellestar Thank you very much. It is part of trying to explore more. Now that I have a car I can also get further to go do walks with Samwise (the dog)

Today's checkin is a little short. Yesterday was a hard day, I got hit by a lot of things emotionally. But I stuck through it, didn't break down and order pizza even though I wanted to and instead I made dinner. Today was also a challenge, I went to the store to pick up milk to have in my work coffee and they had fresh munker (a fried dough treat I love) and I managed to walk past. 

• Like 4

So, I am on day 5 of keto today. And I am thinking I am hitting ketosis. My breath is starting to smell different. I am also dropping weight like a rock but I am pretty sure it is mostly water weight. 

I wanted to talk a little about my motivation for wanting to lose weight and get stronger. I am a part of the Norwegian Red Cross SAR Corps and one of the really cool groups we have is the challenging terrain group (ie. Mountains and climbing). I kind of really want to be able to do that but to do that I have to be stronger. And if I weigh less that will be more weight I have to be able to pull around. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Craftyviking said:

So, I am on day 5 of keto today. And I am thinking I am hitting ketosis. My breath is starting to smell different. I am also dropping weight like a rock but I am pretty sure it is mostly water weight. 

I wanted to talk a little about my motivation for wanting to lose weight and get stronger. I am a part of the Norwegian Red Cross SAR Corps and one of the really cool groups we have is the challenging terrain group (ie. Mountains and climbing). I kind of really want to be able to do that but to do that I have to be stronger. And if I weigh less that will be more weight I have to be able to pull around. 

This seems like an excellent motivation to me!

I love hillwalking and getting out in the mountains so I can understand that as an inspiration.

Well done so far!

Sorry for not checking in over the weekend. I am part of the group organizing training for new RCSAR people in this area and we had our first weekend of four of training. It was intense but really good and really inspiring. We were a good mix of people and it is always fun to meet people who have a passion for this. I also did really well helping with making food, which involved freshly baked rolls and I didn't have a single one. 

Today I was back at work and then went to MMA/Grappling for the first time since before Christmas. Hard but so much fun. And we were 14 people there today. Most of the time we are 6-8. It is intense. And I love that when the guys make things easier for me it is because I am still learning, not because I am a woman. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, Craftyviking said:

That's incredible! Definitely a solid reason to lose some weight-- best of luck to you!

@NicTheRugger Thank you. I am trying to do that. I also have a very similar reason for wanting to get stronger. Carrying a person out of the woods, even as a part of a team of 4-6 is hard and I am not sure I have the strength for that just yet. 

11 hours ago, BardicGarlic said:

Only your arm hurt? You must be good at MMA, haha. 

Oh no, more of me hurt than that. Inside of my thighs, my ass ... And also yesterday wasn't actually any fighting, just various strength and endurance training

• Like 1

I'm loving seeing that you're making great progress and getting back in to the groove. Did Keto give you a headache at all? Whenever I cut back on carbs it sucker punches me with Keto flu. 

16 hours ago, Craftyviking said:

@Little Miss Camouflage Oh yes. We did a lot of punches, not really any power or technique, just getting the muscles moving and the heart rate up. I think it is going to hurt to lift my coffee cup today from the DOMS

It sounds great. I've never tried MMA. At least you know it's having an effect if it hurts ;-)

7 hours ago, JessFit said:

I'm loving seeing that you're making great progress and getting back in to the groove. Did Keto give you a headache at all? Whenever I cut back on carbs it sucker punches me with Keto flu. 

Honestly not so much this time around. I've had a little bit but that is more about oversleeping and not getting my coffee fix. I am actually really happy with how the transition has gone this time, and surprised because Christmas was mostly carbs. But I have been careful to get enough water in 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Little Miss Camouflage said:

It sounds great. I've never tried MMA. At least you know it's having an effect if it hurts ;-)

Oh yeah, it is a very good burn. I am doing mostly the grappling, that is the work on the ground. So we use a lot of the same techniques as no gi BJJ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craftyviking said:

But I have been careful to get enough water in 

Always good advice :D 

7 hours ago, Ellestar said:

It's so cool that you do Search and Rescue! Also well done on the MMA - sounds tough.

It is a lot of fun, though fun isn't the right word. We do a lot of stuff outside of missions that are a lot of fun and it is really rewarding being able to help people when we do have to. I am lucky that the one mission I have been to we found the guy a little cold but not really worse for wear. This was an elderly person with some cognitive issues and he had gotten lost. 

• Like 2

Soum... I meant to checkin earlier. It is past bed time... Ooops. But I wanted to do a quick update on how things are going

On 1/9/2019 at 7:31 AM, Craftyviking said:
  • Start Keto and keep it until the end of the month
  • Complete the Darebee 30 days of change 
  • Go to MMA training every session where I don't have a conflicting RC meeting
  • Check in to the YNAB budget every day

• I have started Keto, been struggling a few times and yesterday we ended up with a non-keto meal thanks to poor planning on my part. 
  • Darebee I am behind: I will have to double up on the next few days
  • I think I will have to modify this one to go to 2 MMA training sessions a week. Completed this this week, the week before was full of meetings
  • I am not checking in every day but often enough that I have a very good control over our spending. 
  • Like 2