Lady of the Bog is Trapped by Old Man Willow

ladyofthebog

21 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Also, among all of this: my butt shelf is coming along. keep plodding...

IMG_5731.thumb.JPG.dc89893cb9285842c2469c059326a17d.JPG

@Rusk@Rurik Harrgath

Oh my god.

1wGg.gif

My Monday just got a little better...

21 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Also, please keep steady stream of cute animals and aragorn/momoa. tis good for the soul and cardiac function. @Rusk and @Rurik Harrgath

be26725b5c1887052dcaa6eb716fa2de.jpg

143-109959-jasonmomoadog3-1436909748.jpg

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Midweek Update: Lady of the Bog Possesses the Feels (would be a better title for this challenge)

So, upon learning the weather report for the coast, I decided to head out to get some fresh air (and terrible water- seriously the water quality out on the coast is just terrible). The Rowbug and I got into town to relatively balmy weather. We woke up to cold winds this morning but still managed to get out for a hike and a bit of beach exploration.

Thank you for all of your support. I'm feeling pretty okay which, actually, is pretty fantastic. The drive out to the coast is beautiful and good for ruminating. The child slept through half of it which meant I had about an hour to listen to sappy music and contemplate my feels. Oh, how many feels there are, my friends- feels as far as the eye can see. But somehow, I'm finding solace in these feels. I want to be in it. I want to feel the shades and textures of being. Anti-depressants got me through some shit times. I am grateful for that but now it feels right to let them go. 

I had a few thoughts. I like lists:

1) Something I thought while driving and then journaled about: How would my approach be different if I treated self improvement from the stance of confidence in my inner goodness and rightness? This is a shitty sentence but you get the gist. There's a lot to chew on there.

giphy.gif

2) AM I A DRUID??? Identity crisis!!

3) My mom's best friend got some very crud medical news. It gives me a heavy heart and my mind is on both of them. Both of her brothers committed suicide and her friend is much like a surrogate brother to her these past forty years. Thinking about my mom and her losses, it reminded me of the genetic legacy that I am likely gifted- both the good and the bad. Particularly, it had me thinking how grateful I am to be here. How it's no small thing living through and with depression. How I am stronger than I give myself credit for. 

• Like 3

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 1/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, deftona said:

Girl, you is on fire. 

Image result for dat ass gif

I LOVE THIS. Thank you :)

On 1/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, Kharissandra said:

download.png.f61e066a98f0226797939ecf602995fc.png

Not everyone has thought of action movies as good workout fodder. I'm only just starting to watch superhero movies (college destroyed my life, and now I'm excited to do ALL THE THINGS) and I think I agree with you! Good job on the self-reflection and the journaling thing!! Woohoo!!! Please enjoy the adorable fierce cats above! :D

EEIII mama animals with baby animals are so good. i'm late on the game too! my lateness is basicaly taht it has taken me long to get over their stupid outfits, to be completely honest. what i will accept in a comic book is much different than what i hitherto accepted in movies. lol. i still can't really get over the outfits, actually. and this may be the most girly thing i've ever written.

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 1/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Oh my god.

143-109959-jasonmomoadog3-1436909748.jpg

thank you for this. so relevant to my interests. and thank you for the ass appreciation. 

18 hours ago, Rusk said:

sei_8065383.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoo

Insufficient love and attention is given to badgers.  So here are some badger cubs and their adopted fox kit sibling.

I hope you are feeling adequately OK today.

I LOVE BADGERS. Favorite character from Wind in the Willows. Also, did anyone else read Redwall? So good. Whenever I think of those books I get hungry.

• Like 2

Some Oregon for y'all:

IMG_5789.JPG.1d30d8d3850725836c9c5648dcb92a5b.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG.23cfec571e8d2d58bd07a45f9ee6708e.JPGgiphy.gif

IMG_5837.JPG.a45b4827519c8ee598c8da320c3ff54a.JPGgiphy.gif

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ladyofthebog said:

Something I thought while driving and then journaled about: How would my approach be different if I treated self improvement from the stance of confidence in my inner goodness and rightness?

Not sure I get what you mean, but it reminds me if that quote about exercise being a celebration of what a body can do, not punishment for what it did. Your point if view can change a lot in these subjects.

AM I A DRUID??? Identity crisis!!

Aren't all Rangers? Multitasking aside, we are the two "forest themed" guilds, after all.

47 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

Some Oregon for y'all:

Haven't been there myself, but according to the internet I was pretty sure it looked like this:

you-have-died-of-dysentery_a-G-9795612-0

• Like 5

Lvl 58 Multitasker

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not sure I get what you mean, but it reminds me if that quote about exercise being a celebration of what a body can do, not punishment for what it did. Your point if view can change a lot in these subjects.

Aren't all Rangers? Multitasking aside, we are the two "forest themed" guilds, after all.

Haven't been there myself, but according to the internet I was pretty sure it looked like this:

you-have-died-of-dysentery_a-G-9795612-0

there's actually a giant wagon in my parents' town so you're not so off.  currently have small child yelling at me. will respond to rest later

• Haha 1

*whoops- both my mother's brothers committed suicide... not my brothers. we're still intact. mostly.

So I have an extension on my computer that sends me a new adorable cat every day. 

image.png.6e448aa91b8bc6f606b9d8eb9660f0c4.pngSo here is my daily contribution <3

Curious to know what gives you Druid vibes; I've begun to realize that the bodyweight stuff I've been on is largely Assassin type, and then I've been adding running to that. For me though, the classes are like 25% about the actual exercise types you're doing and 75% about your mindset around those exercises. I'm doing bodyweight to get to do strength stuff (while being broke and also in a forest lol) and I'm doing running so I can speedily escape enemies (anxiety mostly with the added benefit of being faster than your average zombie); so mentally I'm very rangery XD. Also very excited for the amount of reflecting you're doing (although sometimes, if your experiences are like mine, it can lead to darker spots as well as the positive ones you've mentioned this round). I really like that idea of self-improvement as expression and further fulfillment of your own being.  Cool and deep thoughts! :D 

Sorry about your mom's friend. Hopefully the crud medical news is something treatable.

I want to come join you on the Oregon Coast. I love it there. I think it is one of the most beautiful place

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

18 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

thank you for this. so relevant to my interests. and thank you for the ass appreciation.

How couldn't I?  Dang, grrrrrrrrrl.

17 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

giphy.gif

It's official, this thread is bad for my health... but like in a totally good way.  Cuz of the extra heartbeats and whatnot.  *hyperventilates*

hpronbliss.gif

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I think close to a third of all Rangers seem to have a Druid/mental well-being goal in their challenges this month!

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I was passing by, I saw some light through the window (the tittle drew me in, really) and thought I'd let my own contribution before going back on my merry way:

tenor.gif?itemid=9951573

Along with my wishes for strength, luck and happiness.

18 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

2) AM I A DRUID??? Identity crisis!!

Aren't we all? Wait! Wrong lodge! Forget I said that. :D

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:52 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

So, I'm convinced that the attraction to exercise has to be at least like 35% punishment? more? I live for those days I'm in the exercise flow but even then it's still physically punishing? so like what i mean is that it is a celebration of the body to punish it. maybe the distinction is in the "can do" and "it did." expansion vs contraction. sensation vs numbness.  chew on that. deep thoughts by sophie. maybe the goal in fitness is an amalgam of two: joyful punishment. a punishing expression of self-love? reminding the body of what it is to feel?

i think what i mean is, i'm an active person. i like lists. i keep busy. i have schemes. plans. i wish my spirit animal was a sea turtle but probably more accurately it would be a busy squirrel preparing for winter:

giphy.gif

Plus, I was raised in California health culture that can, when taken to an extreme, equate spiritual enlightenment with eating vegan, drinking juice, cleansing, yadda yadda. So, I have this drive inside of me for self-improvement and change. I like the idea of just being still with myself and just being fine with how things are right this very second.

I feel like we are living in an age of self-improvement rather than deep, abiding self-acceptance. And all this self-improvement ideology doesn't seem like it's actually improving many people's lives, to be frank. When it's coming out of a place of self-annihilation, whether you are destroying yourself with shitty food or destroying yourself with exercise, you're still destroying yourself. It can't keep up. I think maybe this is part of why people fail at diets and workouts so much.  

Maybe if we fostered a culture of self respect and compassion rather than self improvement we'd see... actual improvement. But, yeah, in sum, I believe that punishment is a celebration, I want to approach my life with as sense of acceptance rather than rejection, and finally I can't stop watching that squirrel gif (seriously it is mesmerizing)

Much love to you all! I'll respond later to more posts but for now I am once again a busy squirrel/beaver/woodland creature preparing home and for D&D tonight (last time we killed a mad goat to gain favor with some dwarven lords. good stuff).

xxoo

• Like 1

Good thoughts.  When I get into a head space where I have to keep improving, either diet or fitness, I can get really perfectionistic, which then usually leads to going the other way and saying screw it all. When I have an attitude of compassion to myself, eating mostly healthy because it makes me feel better (but not over obsessing) or working out because I enjoy exploring what my body can do, it is much more sustaining

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Totally relate to the punishment aspect of exercise. There’s almost a cognitive dissonance of if I’m not exhausted or sore that I haven’t been hitting things hard enough. Very much agree on self-acceptance rather than improvement. The more choose to accept life on life’s terms and the priorities in my life, the clearer and more fulfilling my options, exercise and otherwise. Deep thoughts indeed.

Week Two Update: Golum Status

Omg. I have been so grumpy. Pissed. Full of vim and vinegar. The other day I was cleaning the house furiously realizing I was replaying something that happened two years ago that was, admittedly, incredibly annoying but also, admittedly, two years ago. Pretty hilarious when I realized what was going on. When I was on meds, I was preternaturally not angry actually- kind of eerily so.  Brain chemistry is a nutty thing, I'll tell you what.

giphy.gif

Still, feeling fine. I am dripping wet with sweat right now which I suspect is helping my mood. I'm really liking my workout program and feel like I am in great general shape right now though not ripped. I'd like to figure out how to get more gym in my life. I did spend the morning meal prepping. Getting that diet in line. Anybody else research the effect of SSRIs on gut health? I haven't seen any studies but it makes sense to me that anything related to serotonin would likely change the gut biome. Anyway, working on my gut health to some extent- cut out dairy and it feels nice, actually. which is unfortunate because:

giphy.gif

LE QUEST

• make a MD appointment
  • let friends/family know
  • cardio
  • self-care this equals bubble baths lately.
  • make an appointment w/ naturopath
  • make an appointment for acupuncture

Journaling

I've been journaling! I've always been someone who just went blech on the page without any direction so having prompts has been a welcome change. I've been coming up with my own prompts which is fun! Here is one for you guys to participate in maybe? If you were to 21-and me for Middle-earth, what would your percentages be and why? You tell me your's and I'll tell you mine!

Work through 80 day Obsession

I lugged my dumbbells to the beach house with me this week. It inspired me to work out because, dude, it was a lot of trouble to take them with me. I'm also in that sweet spot when you've been working out super consistently for awhile that it feels weird not to work out. Tomorrow is a rest day and I'm already planning to go to a yoga class.

I wish I had a picture to post but all I have is this terrible one of Fiona the sausage dog who snuggled me throughout D&D last night (oh never mind, I'm on a different laptop right now! You'll have to be in suspense). Also, in our newish campaign I am a gloam-stalker and it is awesome but also is kind of breaking the game a bit. I'm a super bad ass bardish ranger pirate. LOVING IT.

Has anyone used this book? Anybody into D&D follow? Is there a thread for D&D fitness peeps?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-RPG-Character-Backstory-Guide/dp/1507208375/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&amp;pd_rd_i=1507208375&amp;pd_rd_r=46a8296e-1c39-11e9-9dbd-b39b6b7bf7e8&amp;pd_rd_w=dJWna&amp;pd_rd_wg=vUQMj&amp;pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&amp;pf_rd_r=DVFYX50TE86RV42WDJFF&amp;psc=1&amp;refRID=DVFYX50TE86RV42WDJFF

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, Kharissandra said:

Curious to know what gives you Druid vibes; I've begun to realize that the bodyweight stuff I've been on is largely Assassin type, and then I've been adding running to that. For me though, the classes are like 25% about the actual exercise types you're doing and 75% about your mindset around those exercises. I'm doing bodyweight to get to do strength stuff (while being broke and also in a forest lol) and I'm doing running so I can speedily escape enemies (anxiety mostly with the added benefit of being faster than your average zombie); so mentally I'm very rangery XD. Also very excited for the amount of reflecting you're doing (although sometimes, if your experiences are like mine, it can lead to darker spots as well as the positive ones you've mentioned this round). I really like that idea of self-improvement as expression and further fulfillment of your own being.  Cool and deep thoughts! :D 

I think this challenge's mindset for me is super druidy. I think you sound so very rangery. Let's be in a party together. Who wants to join? We probably need to diversify though for success. I suppose we can all be rangers with subclasses though? That'd work? Let's start an accountability group! Actually, who am I kidding, I can barely keep up with this thread.

giphy.gif

also, getting into fantastic cardiovascular shape for zombie apocalypse is the best reason in the book. i commend you.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about your mom's friend. Hopefully the crud medical news is something treatable.

I want to come join you on the Oregon Coast. I love it there. I think it is one of the most beautiful place

Unfortunately is it the experimental treatment, spend time doing the things you love kind of crud news. Making a healing basket tonight.

YES. It is so beautiful! I love how thick the forest is right up to the coastline. There's really nothing like coastal ferns, too.  The beach house is empty 90% of the time, too. It's a pity!

On 1/16/2019 at 3:54 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

How couldn't I?  Dang, grrrrrrrrrl.

It's official, this thread is bad for my health... but like in a totally good way.  Cuz of the extra heartbeats and whatnot.  *hyperventilates*

hpronbliss.gif

I think close to a third of all Rangers seem to have a Druid/mental well-being goal in their challenges this month!

Well, that is flattering, sir. And isn't cardio good for the ole' ticker? Arrhythmia not so much but hey I'm a nurse so I can probably help you with that.  My favorite thing about Amortentia in the HP books is how it smells differently to everyone. I've been making my own perfume and into everything olfactory. OOOH another journal prompt: what would your amortentia smell like?

I'm pretty sure my dosha is ranger w/ like a healthy dollup of druid. Probably a ranger who goes on druid benders from time to time.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:01 PM, Jean said:

I was passing by, I saw some light through the window (the tittle drew me in, really) and thought I'd let my own contribution before going back on my merry way:

Aren't we all? Wait! Wrong lodge! Forget I said that. :D

CUTE!! I agree, a little druid in all of us... except maybe warriors? That's probably unfair.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, Rusk said:

6a010535647bf3970b01b7c79b9710970b-800wi

Bebe wolverines.  They'll still mess you up.  

LOOK AT THE CLAWS.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

he beach house is empty 90% of the time, too. It's a pity!

Well, hey if you are looking for people to fill it, I'm available:friendly_wink:

23 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Well, that is flattering, sir. And isn't cardio good for the ole' ticker? Arrhythmia not so much but hey I'm a nurse so I can probably help you with that.  My favorite thing about Amortentia in the HP books is how it smells differently to everyone. I've been making my own perfume and into everything olfactory. OOOH another journal prompt: what would your amortentia smell like?

I'm pretty sure my dosha is ranger w/ like a healthy dollup of druid. Probably a ranger who goes on druid benders from time to time.

Several challenges ago I got intimately familiar with writing olfactory senses and very creative with their characterization!  I think my Amorentia would be sweet lavender and the sweat of exertion from exercise, with notes of worldly musk and amber speaking to far off adventures and feminine confidence.

As far as dosha, I'm Demon Hunter through and through.  As much Assassin as Ranger, as much Druid as the aforementioned, I battle my demons with their own powers and yet without falling to the same darkness.

I actually coined a fun 'poem' about that the other night, one you might appreciate given the current struggle and our camaraderie on this website...

Depression & Fitness:

I grew tired of fearing the monsters under my bed and inside my head,

so I picked up a barbell one day and became a monster myself.

• Like 1

so i take back everything i've said up until this point about weaning off antidepressants being fine. my brain feels like... you know that scene from braveheart when the scots are running into battle? that but in 4 dimensions and there is like 5 armies of scots all running at each other. i'm reminded of my destructive tendencies, tumultuous years.

giphy.gif

(lana is my guilty pleasure)

i feel terrible. just terrible. also like this was a terrible, no good idea.

ah, well, keep on keeping on.

this song calms me:

• Like 1

also. something that gives me hope/at least tempers the despair. this poem by the late mary oliver:

has me thinking about summers here in oregon, northern california: languid and freckled like me.

Honey At The Table

It fills you with the soft
essence of vanished flowers, it becomes
a trickle sharp as a hair that you follow
from the honey pot over the table

and out the door and over the ground,
and all the while it thickens,

grows deeper and wilder, edged
with pine boughs and wet boulders,
pawprints of bobcat and bear, until

deep in the forest you
shuffle up some tree, you rip the bark,

you float into and swallow the dripping combs,
bits of the tree, crushed bees – - – a taste
composed of everything lost, in which everything lost is found.

• Like 3

Another vote of support, clinical depression here as well. I weaned off my antidepressant in April of 2017. I still remember how loud and intense everything felt. The first week was the worst, but it got better and I could enjoy sunsets and my kids smiles in a way I couldn’t before. I still have tough days, but they are balanced out so much more by the good days, and on those rough days I have good friends I can talk to and of course everyone here at NF. You’re not alone, keep up the fight, it gets better. You got this!

Music helped me a lot then and it still does now, here’s one of my go-to’s, hope it helps:

..also a pocket pig, because all things in balance.:)

3BFECE33-4705-4437-B6F4-48C5482C87EC.thumb.jpeg.903fd288600b06896acf7c550c25c77c.jpeg

• Like 1