• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Swinging_Jarnbjorn

That's what heroes do. Swinging-Jarnbjorn runs towards his problems.

I am Swinging_Jarnbjorn, formerly Odinson_Rising, and I am unworthy. Mjolnir, the hammer which previously defined my self-identity, sits on the earth, and I cannot lift it. It will not always be so, however, for each day I am growing as a person, and becoming more and more worthy. One day, I will lift my hammer up to the sky and declare myself Odinson_Ascendant, but until then I am Swinging_Jarnbjorn.

Hey Rebels, I’m back. This is my umpteenth challenge, and the last several have not gone my way. It turns out that I’m a starter, but not a finisher. Does it have to be this way? No, but for the time being, it is, and I won’t grow if I keep lying to myself about it. So here I am, a couple of days late, starting this newest challenge. Because I’ve been limping along for quite some time, I’m trying to completely reevaluate my situation and take measurable steps towards being the best version of me.

Big goals:
Lose 80 pounds – I’m roughly 275 pounds now, so I’m just looking to get under the two-century mark, and I’m not looking for shortcuts. This is 4-Life.
Read the Bible – It’s basically the most influential book in the history of mankind, and I intend to read it, in its entirety.
Read/listen to a minimum of 20 books, by June 14th, my 39th birthday.
Get out of debt – This one will take a lot longer, but if I’m going to get there, I need to take steps now.
Rebuild my marriage – Oof. I don’t even know where to start. I do, however, know that I need to acknowledge that I prioritized some other values above the sanctity of my marriage. It hurts to even type that out, but that probably means I need to start there.
Clean and improve my home – I love the house I live in, but it’s getting as cluttered as the inside of my head. Not only that, but my 9-year old twins and their 2-year old sister have left their mark. I gotta reclaim some of that lost ground.

My four quests (measured from 1/10/19 to 2/3/19):
1. Track all of my food intake. I’m using Cronometer this go round.
2. Read from the Bible, my current personal development book, and my current entertainment book for 30 minutes each, every single day. Audiobooks count. I’m making a list to post online, once I wrap my head around how I want to present it.
3. Track ALL spending. This will likely be a mashup of technology and pen/paper, but the end result will be a hard copy that I will use to establish and adhere to a budget.
4. Drink at least 2L of water each day. This is a milestone goal, which I will build to 1 gallon by the spring.
All quests will be evaluated on a percentage basis

All right, rangers, and let's go to work! 

download.jpeg

• Like 1

Not challenge related, but I have an observation. 

I leave my job most nights between 10pm and 11pm. I end up being awake till at least midnight, playing with my phone or snacking out of the fridge (that needs to stop). After a few hours of sleep, I am jolted awake by the alarm on my smartphone around 3, and I turn down the heater, get dressed, and stumble out to my car. I drive to my daughter's home and pick her up, returning to my home between 4 and 5. We sleep until 630, when I get back up and make breakfast for my wife before getting her and our sons to work and school, respectively. I drop my daughter off at preschool, and then the morning is mine. I can choose to clean my house or play video games or visit friends, or go to the gym, or do none of that and just nap. There are days when I feel like I don't have enough, and that's pretty messed up and sad, because the truth is that I, along with my friends and family, am incredibly blessed. I sincerely hope you all are as well.

Sounds like a super busy schedule. Daily reading of the Bible was one of the best habits I've established, so woot for making it a priority

On 1/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, Terra said:

Good breakdown of your larger goals into the four quests for this challenge.  I'll be following along! 

The breakdown has historically been one of my blind spots, so I'm always working on going from macro to micro, which translates roughly to going from grossly overwhelmed to only slightly overwhelmed.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like a super busy schedule. Daily reading of the Bible was one of the best habits I've established, so woot for making it a priority

Today I was contemplating the gaps in my schedule, and looking for ways to improve processes to give myself more time. The Bible reading is new to me, but so far I'm super happy I went that route.

• Like 2

Checking in on a beautifully rainy Tuesday evening.

1. I'm 50% on my food goal so far. I've tracked my eating faithfully 3 out of the 6 days I've been active in this challenge, which isn't a great ratio at the moment, but the numbers will look better as I go on. The quality of my food today has been better than usual, which I anticipated. That which gets documented gets changed and all that. 

2. I'm 67% on my reading goal, as I haven't been getting to all three targets each day. I'm good on my Bible every day, since I answer to my brother and stepmom if I miss a day, but I'm finding that it's either the entertainment book or the personal development book on any given day, and that's largely because I enjoy both of them immensely, and find myself listening to the same audiobook all day as I do other things. Side note: Go get Kill the Farm Boy from Audible. Not only is the content hilarious, but the voice talent elevates it in a way that I can't adequately describe. I would describe Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done, by Jon Acuff, the same way. He reads his own book, and his pace and commentary are awesome.

3. I'm 100% on tracking spending, but I have to admit that this may be my easiest goal in the first week. My discretionary budget is nil, and we stocked up on necessities before the challenge. Low hanging fruit? Maybe. This habit is necessary, though, and will likely be a carryover habit in future challenges.

4. I'm 33% on my water goal through day 6, and that's not surprising to me. This was always going to be the hardest of my quests because I habitually drink a great deal of soda and energy drinks. I've managed to convince myself that it's okay because they're carb-free, but they're supplanting my water intake, and that needs to stop.

So there we are. It's not incredible, but I'm happy to be back with the rebellion, and I'm looking forward to a productive and successful series of challenges.

• Like 1