• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Love_Of_Snuggles

Assissan gone bad...

So I have been really slacking off with my personal health overall. 2.5 years ago I moved across the country and spent the next year eating right, walking tons and in general, taking pretty good care of myself. I even lost 40lbs! Then I started Grad School... Within a year I had gained back 30lbs, was barley walking and eating the worst diet I could imagine. I graduated (which I'm very proud of) and got a new job (which is great) but had to move again. This time I discovered food delivery apps... :( To make matters worse, I discovered that my neighborhood is dangerous enough that walking in the evening is too dangerous. I just continued to let my health slide and felt myself spiral into a cycle that I couldn't seem to get out of.

This last week I went home for a visit and it has given me a completely new lease on life. I connected with old friends, spent time with family and, most importantly, found my motivation to get my life back on tract. This first goals for the new year are going to be basic (not simple as I haven't managed them in the last year and a half) but will set the foundation for more goals going forward.

Goal 1: Food & Water (-Soda)

I have deleted all food delivery apps from my phone. I just got a new fridge (one that works properly) and a new counter so it's time to get them working. Meals are included with my job, but our chief has also offered to cook things for me if I get them for him. (I only have a hot plate and toaster oven) I purchased 2 new water bottles so I can always have one available and keep them cleaner. I will be getting rid of soda (3rd times the charm) and have set myself up with some tea. (At this time I will continue with sweetened, but may address that in the future) I want to focus on eating real food, drinking plenty of water and not consuming soda.

Goal 2: Fitness

I need to get moving again. I used to average 16k steps a day, I'm currently under 7k, but there are many days that I get only 2k or less. I want to get at least 5k steps every day. I connected with a couple of people back home, but I want to find more people using Fitbit to build a support system to both encourage myself and hold myself accountable for getting up and moving. My first challenge will be to reach 25 people that I can share challenges with and motivate/be motivated by.

Goal 3: Life

I need to start socializing again. I found I did much better when I got out of the house (and away from work) and interacted with others. Every Thursday is Game night and I have heard about a local Tango group. I would like to get out twice a week and connect with people who have nothing to do with work!

• Like 3

So day one went very well. I ate food prepared at home, if not the best meals, drank lots of water and made 2 pitchers of fresh brewed tea, and got over 10k steps in. Day 2 however is not shaping up so well. I am doing alright with the water and so-so with eating, but am fighting cold so no walking for me. :(

• Like 1

Even small steps are progress!  Do what you can when you can.

I have a toaster oven and hot plate and I feed my wife and son just fine.  You sometimes have to get creative.  You may consider getting a cheap slow cooker it can be a life saver some days/week's for me.  I use them during busy weeks for a beef roast or a pork butt.  Then I just change up the sides and sauces I serve them with. 

• Like 1

@rketterman - I'm good cooking a single meal with my hot plate and toaster oven, but I have a very crazy work schedule and am not always able to stop for a meal on time. I like to cook big batches in advance so I can reheat food. I believe part of my struggle these last few months is that I haven't had that ready to heat option so food delivery is an easy fall back. I have a live-in job and our chef has offered to cook some larger items for me many times, so I thought accepting his help (huge struggle for me, btw,lol) would be a great step in eating healthier and learning to accept help, lol.

My first 2 weeks (well really just a week for me) have not been as successful as I would have liked. I'm still struggling to get rid of this stupid cold (never going to VT in the winter again!) and trying to eat better. I have ordered delivery twice, but have been eating the rest of my meals from home. I have tried to work out or even just go for a walk, but after about 1/2 mile I need to take a nap! This cold has been keeping me up at night, though last night I finally got over 6 hours so hopefully I'm on the mend. I plan on going grocery shopping today and hoping to get some food prepared for the weekend. 

I have managed to chat with some friends and even got together wit on for a game night via xbox, but nothing in person. Partly because I don't feel like getting out and partly because I don't want to make others sick. Sunday my students move back in so I need to make sure I'm feeling better by then. My weekend plans are to get my living room in order (I've managed the rest of the house) and get my work out space set up and open for use. It's the biggest room in my apartment, but I think I can get it done by Saturday evening, fingers crossed! 

First week with my students moved back and it was a bit crazy. I have started a morning walking routine and the chef has cooked some of my healthy food for me so eating is better. This weekend I'm planning on finishing my spring cleaning and, hopefully, once my space is opened up, I will be more comfortable using it for working out again. I went out to a speed dating event last weekend, which was an experience. I did make a couple of new friends, or at least potential friends, so that was a positive. I'm hoping I will hit my stride this final week, fingers crossed. 

Challenge 1 Wrap Up

Goal 1: Food & Water (-Soda)

I have significantly decreased my soda intake, but still need to focus on my water intake. I have been pretty good about eating food at home, but still ordered out 1-2 times a week. I also found that I am eating more than I should (I think because I haven't been drinking enough water) so my next challenge will address logging and improving my food & water intake. 

Goal 2: Fitness

I saw a steady improvement in my walking. It was a struggle at first, because of my cold, but by last week I was hitting at least 5k steps a day and reached my highest weekly steps in 5 months! Very proud of myself.

Goal 3: Life

This goal was a total failure. I went out 1 time and only connected with 1 person online. :(