Time to do this: sell me on the Academy!

So I've technically been a member for a while...but never did anything with it. I've recently (not because "New Year's Resolutions") decided it is time to get in shape, change my life, what have you. I'm considering purchasing a membership...but both this forum and the Reddit seem to be kind of dead. I don't have (and won't get) a Facebook. I do use Discord on the daily, however. Is the Academy worth it? Especially since the community seems to be in a slump?

"Never cry 'neath nobody's heel again"
-Captain Tack

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm not able to sell you on the Academy membership because I've never used it but I know a lot of people here seem to get a lot of motivation out of it. I've been here since January 2018 but what did the forums look like before they got into the "slump"? I've always known it to be this way. 

Howdy Cap'n!  The forums are actually more active than they appear at first glance, because most of the activity happens in the 4 week challenge section.  That is where most of the regular users spend the bulk of their time here, focusing on their own challenge and supporting others as they work on theirs.  There is also some activity in the battle log area, although not quite as much.  The rest of the forums out here don't get much activity, although I'm not sure why.

Also, this forum is going to be different from other forums you may be used to, because the Paladins actively patrol to keep the trolls at bay :) 

As for the academy, I have no idea because I have never used it.  The forums here (once I got in and actually started using them) were sufficient for me.

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

What the Ghost said. Also, there are regulars with good insight in pretty much every section so you can also get point on advice on specific topics like nutritions and work outs, even though it's slower there.

I'm not using the Academy much nowadays but it has helped me to :

- get rid of drinking Coke;

- lower my coffees intake from 7 to 2-3 a day;

- build a habit of drinking water;

- gave me solid core examples of workout sessions upon which I can customise and get everything I need for that purpose.

You get weekly emails for four months (12 weeks) which help keep you on track. Some of the specific quests are very good to build some habits (drinking water worked with me, while I had always thoroughly failed). It's a good way to build accountability toward yourself and have frequent reminders that you do.

The Academy isn't necessary in any way but it is good to help you stick to a start if you've had trouble doing so in the past. I personally saw it more like a way to thank the staff here (and Steve in particular) for the resources they put at our disposal for free but I've still gotten "worth my money and more" out of it.

In the end, it's your choice. The Academy is a solo adventure that you can share here (either in the Battle logs or the 4 weeks challenges), the forums here, Rising Heroes and the Facebook group (which I'm not going to either) are the multiplayer/tavern parts of it.

Have fun! :)

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.