First Time Real Renting woes

I live in Southern California and recently got married (12/18!) so life should be pretty amazing but it's kind of struggling. She's from Taiwan and we met while she was a student here. She has a great job but in a month she won't be able to work because we're going through the immigration process of getting her status changed and I guess she has a minimum five-month wait before she can work again. Meanwhile, I'm a substitute teacher with three districts and am also going to school to be a full blown teacher which is awesome but that means that pay sucks and time sucks even more. If she was still working, we wouldn't have a problem but right now we're trying to rent on just my income which isn't awful, we have quite a bit of money saved and would be able to make it to when she's able to work just fine but every place around is a minimum of $1000 (no big) but requires income of 2.5 times rent sooo $2500 while I'm sitting here on $1600~. Literally her only request for a place was to not have to rent a room in a stranger's house and, while that's not a constricting list, it's deadly in this case. I've been blessed enough to stay at home with my parents, initially it was to help them financially and assist my mom medically, but... now I'm trying to get out and... can't. 

I'm not sure what to do and am desperately trying to avoid having her move in with my parents. If anyone has a thought I would truly love to hear it and, if not, thank you for reading my rant :)

You can become a Hero. 

I'm going to assume you get paid by the hour as a substitute teacher and that each district pays you the same rate. What's the going rate for being a personal tutor? From what I can find on Google, it doesn't look like California requires any credentials for that. Hang up your shingle as a personal tutor and see if you can drum up some business. There's always some parent convinced that getting a B in Macaroni Art in first grade will completely ruin their child's future. I'd run an opportunity cost analysis on each district and drop the one that pays the least for your time has the lowest ROI (hourly pay vs time spent getting there, cost of transportation, etc).

How much time do you have left in school?

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)