Jump to content

Suzaqu: running late, but here!


Suzaqu

Recommended Posts

Happy new year everyone!

 

I was totally planning to post this last week, but then I got sick and was focusing on getting better and then catching up on everything else. So I'm here, but late! I'm taking the first week essentially off because of the illness, but I'm here and ready to get going

 

M7fZ.gif

 

Keeping it simple, no real theme, other than awesome gifs. 

 

Goal 1: Do kettlebells 3 times a week: Last challenge getting back into kettlebells was awesome and I want to keep that up. I am in the middle of a soju and tuba press progression and I noticed lots of strength increases. Last time I did S&S, I upped my TGU weight for all 10 reps and upped my swing weight for 40 swings/100, and I didn't die! I've been stuck at my weights for a while, and I think this was the kick I needed!

Goal 2: Do IF at least 6 days a week. My current eating window is 12:30-8:30pm or 1-9 depending on my work schedule, and I call it a win if I stay in one of those two windows.

Goal 3: Reach out to one friend per week who I've lost touch with. In sending out  my holiday card this year, I realize that there are lots of friends who I only correspond with only one time a year, and that's not what I want. So this month, I want to reach out to 4 of these people.

Goal 4: Make one appointment a week. I have a number of things I need to schedule (car maintenance, home repairs, doctor visits etc.) and I need a kick to do them. So I need to schedule at least one a week. (I just thought up this goal today, so I'll have to do 2 in my second week to catch up).

 

I have some other general goals for the year that I'm working on but aren't specifically for the challenge: I'm trying to meditate every day and be a tidier person in general (I blame Marie Kondo on netflix for this one).

 

Again, sorry I'm late! But I'm here now and I'm ready for 2019!

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
15 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

I have some other general goals for the year that I'm working on but aren't specifically for the challenge: I'm trying to meditate every day and be a tidier person in general (I blame Marie Kondo on netflix for this one).

Hey I’m trying exactly this too and also not part of my challenge :P 

 

Glad you’re feeling better!

Link to post
10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hey I’m trying exactly this too and also not part of my challenge :P 

 

Glad you’re feeling better!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear there are others on the meditation/marie kondo train this year! 2019 is going to be mindful and tidy!

 

ETA: Just saw in your thread that you're also using the headspace app!

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

General week 1/life updates

 

So I only did kettlebells once, (silly illness) but upped my weight on quite a few reps thanks to my press progression! I also met my IF goals and sent a card to a advisor/mentor/coworker/friend who I've been meaning to get in touch with with a nice thank you for all you've taught me/catch up note.

6qCair0.jpg

 

In non-challenge related news, I've started a new knitting project, a sweater for my niece (ignoring all of my other pending projects)

 

uL6nN4B.jpg

 

And I have a hydroponic herb garden! I'm so excited to watch the grow and make delicious food!

 

ELUnFhE.jpg

 

I've been feeling like i'm in a mental funk recently. I think part of it is from stopping meditating, and part is from not taking advantage of my "me time" to recharge in productive ways instead of watching tv, and both of these I think will help.

 

  • Like 7

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
13 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

And I have a hydroponic herb garden! I'm so excited to watch the grow and make delicious food!

 

ELUnFhE.jpg

 

Oh my! It looks like a spaceship garden ^_^ brilliant!

  • Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Link to post
On 1/13/2019 at 5:53 PM, Suzaqu said:

Goal 3: Reach out to one friend per week who I've lost touch with. In sending out  my holiday card this year, I realize that there are lots of friends who I only correspond with only one time a year, and that's not what I want. So this month, I want to reach out to 4 of these people.

I saw a take on "resolutions" that crossed out "make new friends" with "make old friends" and recommended taking the time to reconnect and check-in with people you've lost touch with. I really liked it! 

 

16 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

 

ELUnFhE.jpg

Awww, so cute. 

 

 

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to post
20 hours ago, @mu said:

 

Oh my! It looks like a spaceship garden ^_^ brilliant!

I like that! I even have alien mutant giant dill (back row left) that I'm having to prune daily so I can let the others grow. And my mint is super tiny, which is so strange to me, because outside I have trouble keeping mint in the pot and out of my lawn. The best part for me is it self watering, as that's what always kills my herbs outside when we go on vacation in the summer.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
18 hours ago, raptron said:

I saw a take on "resolutions" that crossed out "make new friends" with "make old friends" and recommended taking the time to reconnect and check-in with people you've lost touch with. I really liked it! 

 

I like that perspective on it! I'm hoping to build a habit of keeping in touch more and not being afraid to reach out. Currently, whenever I think of reaching out, I just panic feel guilty for how long it has been, which isn't productive. So hopefully by making myself push past that barrier I can break that reactive habit.

 

 

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Day 1/2 update

 

I did S&S again at my upped weights (18lbs for all 10TGUs and 20swings at 26lbs, 40 swings at 35lbs, and 40 swigs at 26lbs again). I spent a lot of time in December working on my technique with the 26lbs swings and it's awesome to feel it kicking in with the 35lbs. I couldn't always feel at 26lbs if I was engaging all the right muscles or if my snap was snappy enough because I was so used to the weight. But now with the heavier one, I can feel what's engaging and I need my snap to move the weight, so it feels like all the work/research I did was worth it and everything is clicking! 

 

I wanted to do more reps of the heavy swings, but I also had to do my presses for the soju and tuba, so I didn't want to fully exhaust myself.

 

Today's goal is to make 2 appointments so I can check that goal off for last week and this week!

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Day 3

Happy to report that my goal for the day is complete! I scheduled an oil change and a gyno visit, two things that are overdue! And, guess what, it wasn't that hard :) 

 

I also had a general fitness win this evening. My husband has decided that he wants to start working out. He's just generally in good shape and fit from all the energy he has, but wants to start doing overall full body workouts. So I found him a barbell full body workout and guided him through the moves. In the middle of a squat, I had a realization that I still have the mindset of "I hate squats and I'm bad at them" but here I am, confidently doing them without thinking about it and teaching them to someone else. It felt so cool to be able to tell my "self talk" that it was wrong. In fact, I was smiling so much that my husband thought I was laughing at his technique, oops! 

 

And finally, I'm happy to introduce you to Pippa, my new office plant! It's been quiet a work week so far, so I'm glad to bring some new life into the office!

 

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

Day 3

Happy to report that my goal for the day is complete! I scheduled an oil change and a gyno visit, two things that are overdue! And, guess what, it wasn't that hard :) 

 

Why does it always seem like the hardest thing ever to do?? It almost never takes more than a minute or two, but I'll put it off for weeks or months.

 

Love all the plant pictures. Plants make every space happier. I'm a knitter as well, so definitely looking forward to seeing progress pics on the sweater!

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

 

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Link to post

Congrats on leveling up in weights!  I've heard of hydroponics, but ever really looked into it. Your plants look so healthy, and they are self watering. Clearly I need to know more about this magic

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to post
8 hours ago, courtneyc said:

 

Why does it always seem like the hardest thing ever to do?? It almost never takes more than a minute or two, but I'll put it off for weeks or months.

 

Love all the plant pictures. Plants make every space happier. I'm a knitter as well, so definitely looking forward to seeing progress pics on the sweater!

It is so hard and I have no idea why? I even have a relatively flexible schedule at work, so I don't have too much trouble scheduling the appointments, but still, the oil change is 2 months late (we don't drive many miles, so that should probably be ok) and the gyno visit is a year late (oooops!)

 

I've been on a plant kick and I'm all about it. I think my cubicle at work is turning into a jungle, and I'm okay with it. I'm moving into an office soon, and I'll have an actual window, so I'm excited for my plants to get some better light and really flourish!

 

Yay for knitting! I honestly haven't touched it this week yet, I should do that! We have some snow coming, which always makes me feel like knitting, so I hope that helps. This is what I'm making (in different colors) https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-sweater-4

 

source.gif

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on leveling up in weights!  I've heard of hydroponics, but ever really looked into it. Your plants look so healthy, and they are self watering. Clearly I need to know more about this magic

Thanks! I use an aerogarden, which I think is basically training wheels, there are magic light on the front that tell me when I need to add water or plant food and the lights for the plants turn themselves off and on. My husband got it for me for Christmas and I'm loving it so far. I can keep plants alive generally, but everytime I try to do herbs outside, I fail because of the weather/travel and this is a nice way to grow them in the kitchen without the mess of dirt. I believe @Mad Hatter has her own hydroponics set up that I think is different from mine?

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Yesss at your personal squat victory. :D

  • Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to post
14 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Yay for knitting! I honestly haven't touched it this week yet, I should do that! We have some snow coming, which always makes me feel like knitting, so I hope that helps. This is what I'm making (in different colors) https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-sweater-4

 

source.gif

 

So cute! I consider myself to be a "foul" weather knitter as well. Nothing like cozying up on the couch with a project while it's cold outside :)

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

 

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Link to post
On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, courtneyc said:

 

So cute! I consider myself to be a "foul" weather knitter as well. Nothing like cozying up on the couch with a project while it's cold outside :)

Yes! I managed to get some more done during our rainy weekend! The sweater is currently at the mindless knitting stage, stockinette until I hit 20cm long, which is perfect for TV knitting. I have another project going which is a houndstooth scarf for my husband and it's two color knitting the whole length, which takes way too much attention. So it's been sitting for 1.5 years, oops!

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Day 4-6

 

I stuck to my eating window all 6 days this week and felt really good about it. I think i'm even getting better at being more intuitive about what I eat, I found myself not always eating all the food I brought to work, so I've been saving it for other days when I am super hungry, which is a nice freedom to have.

 

I did another round of S&S at my new weight set, I want to up the number of reps at the new weight. With the S&S, I've reduced my soju+tuba press progression to once every 3 days, but I"m still making progress. And I definitely see the strength gains.

 

In terms of my side goals: I've fallen off on my meditations for the past few days, I keep leaving it until too late in the day and then I forget before going to bed. So I'm going to try to make it more of a morning habit, or at least during the day on weekends. I am happy to report that I've kept up being tidier this year, so hopefully these habits will stick! 

 

Plant update: The dill got so tall (despite daily pruning) that it hit the lights and got burned leaves (which you can kinda see in the photo). Hopefully it learned a good lesson :P I did a major pruning and the other plants are slowly catching up

AN3I20x.jpg

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
On 1/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, Suzaqu said:

Currently, whenever I think of reaching out, I just panic feel guilty for how long it has been, which isn't productive

 

OMG I can sooooo relate to that!! It was the reason all of my penpal friendships fell away sooner or later and email has not improved that either. I am much better at it then I used to but I must so watch for the gap not to grow too big for then I end up in exactly that place again. It's horrible. And knowing how unproductive it is, doesn't help at all either. Kudos for you to tackle that. Am sure it will be very rewarding in many ways and people will be so happy to hear from you no matter how long the gap has been :) 

 

Your garden looks brilliant! I want one, too, now!

 

Woot woot on the squat win :D what a great moment to realize this! 

 

Sorry for the ignorant question, but what are soju and tuba? In German Tuba is the name for a musical instrument that looks like a huge trumpet, but I guess that is not what you are talking about here :lol: wouldn't put it beyond you though, with such a well rounded challenge of workouts, gardening and knitting :) 

 

Also yay for IF!! I have just started on that recently and am so happy to hear from others how they are doing. How long have you been at it? How do you like it? 

 

 

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

 

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

 

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Link to post

Dill icarus. :D

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Link to post
On 1/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Your little garden is adorable!

Thanks! I'm having fun trying to find ways to use all the herbs that I keep pruning. 

 

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Dill icarus. :D

Yes! My thai basil is starting to become a problem now, but thankfully thai basil chicken is on the menu for this week. I normally use basil, but I think I'll use thai basil this time (at least partially)!

 

On 1/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, BackOnTrack said:

Kettlebell, knitting, garden! YES! A thread I can follow! 

 

Where did you get your hydroponic set up? Is it DIY or manufactured? It is so unique! 

You have inspired me to break out the kettlebells this week :))

Hello, welcome! KKG is my form of GTL :P

 

My hydroponic set up is a aerogarden, I'm not creative or handy enough to make my own. And yay for kettlebells! What do you do with yours? I'm primarily S&S but I do other hardstyle stuff to change it up.

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post
On 1/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

 

OMG I can sooooo relate to that!! It was the reason all of my penpal friendships fell away sooner or later and email has not improved that either. I am much better at it then I used to but I must so watch for the gap not to grow too big for then I end up in exactly that place again. It's horrible. And knowing how unproductive it is, doesn't help at all either. Kudos for you to tackle that. Am sure it will be very rewarding in many ways and people will be so happy to hear from you no matter how long the gap has been :) 

 

Your garden looks brilliant! I want one, too, now!

 

Woot woot on the squat win :D what a great moment to realize this! 

 

Sorry for the ignorant question, but what are soju and tuba? In German Tuba is the name for a musical instrument that looks like a huge trumpet, but I guess that is not what you are talking about here :lol: wouldn't put it beyond you though, with such a well rounded challenge of workouts, gardening and knitting :) 

 

Also yay for IF!! I have just started on that recently and am so happy to hear from others how they are doing. How long have you been at it? How do you like it? 

 

 

Yes, I was the worst penpal! Now with texting, if I let a message go more than 12 hours I feel guilty, and I really need to keep working on it. 

 

Sorry, I totally meant to explain it in my first post, but totally forgot. I call a that same instrument a tuba as well, but not what I'm talking about :) I have no musical talent and no singing voice. The closest I ever got was 12 years of ballet, but no music making myself.

 

Soju and Tuba is a press (and other) program I discovered while stalking the strongfirst website. https://www.strongfirst.com/upgrade-your-strength-with-the-soju-and-tuba-press-program/ It's a step program with a wave built in.   They discuss it for a military press, but I'm doing it for a standard kettlebell press. Though they say it works for other lifts too. I've currently done through day 12, so thankfully the volume will be down for a bit.  Apparently the name comes from two popular forms of alcohol in Korea and the Philippines, and is from the people who designed it.

 

Yay! I started doing IF a year ago, but fell off of it in August/September, and got back on it in December. I really like it as it has helped me recognize actual hunger vs wanting to eat and I find I eat more intuitively when I'm on it. I dislike how hard it is to get back into it, but I think I'm in the rhythm again.  I've always done the 16:8 fast structure, but I'm interested in trying something else, so I'm loving your thread!

 

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Week 2 Summary

 

I used Sunday to catch up on my final goals for the week. I did another S&S workout and did 60 swings at my new weight! (20 low, 40 high, 20 low, 20 high.) I felt exhausted after, but I'm feeling good and am going to stick with it. 

 

I also texted a friend/roommate/carpool buddy I was close with for years until I moved halfway across the country 3 years ago. She replied on Monday evening and we ended up having a 4 hour text conversation. It was so good to catch up and we fell right back into a great conversation! She might have even convinced me to try bullet journaling again!

 

IF-wise, I was on track all week (give or take 10 min or so).  I also meditated again Sunday night to get that habit started again.

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines