Operation Fly By Night

8 hours ago, Mikey Fitpants said:

What time does your work start then?

My work starts at three.  Since I'm up around 930am this gives me 4.5 hours until I start getting ready for work at 2pm.  A longer exercise session takes up about two hours of that what with the warm-up, cool-down/stretching, and travel.

Really I just need to stop worrying!  Training Principle #4: Have Fun. :D This is all for fun even if there are goals I am aiming for.  When exercise is causing more stress than enjoyment there needs to be an attitude shift; the world will not end if I don't make my target time at Black Ops.  Probably I just need to build more flexibility into my training program.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Weekly Battle Report: T-18

This week had three runs with no long run.  I had planned my long run for Saturday, when it warmed up all the way to -14C, so I decided to take it outside for once.  After 30 minutes I called it quits between the snow drifts and the stinging wind.  Many people hadn't bothered to shovel their sidewalks and I ended up running on the street dodging cars sliding around, so for simple survival it was probably wise to cut it short.  The rest of the (indoor) runs went well and it was great to get my first speed workout done.

Strength training went okay and I enjoyed both lifting days.  This week only had one grip/abs workout.  As I keep telling myself this is more important than lifting.  My overall strength is not my weakness, my grip and core strength is! (But lifting is more fun...)

Daily report

Spoiler

Monday

Run: 45 min easy, with 4 x (1 lap fast, 2 laps recovery)

Strength: grip/ab circuit and physio

Tuesday

Run: n/a

Strength: push day. skipped physio

Wednesday

Run: 45 min steady 

Strength: physio

Thursday

did nothing, had an appointment in the morning

Friday

Run: n/a

Strength: pull day, physio

Saturday

Run: 30 min "easy" in the snow drifts

Strength: n/a

Sunday

rest

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

I went to the OCR training facility today.  This time for a workout instead of strictly obstacle practice.  Next phase I would like to add in a higher-intensity bootcamp class so I wanted to try one out there.  We did include some obstacles in the class and I am happy to report I managed to climb to the top of the rope on my third try; the trick is to close my eyes when I climb so I can't see how high I am. :D  The wall traverse continues to elude me though.  I liked the class overall and think it will help fill gaps in my fitness (since it nearly killed me).  The three-hour time commitment including the drive is a bit much but doable if it is only once a week.

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

Because one strength session is now a bootcamp, the other will need to be full-body lifting.  Yesterday I tried my hand at programming one to suit.

Included:

Boxjump (1×5)

Squat (3×10)

Deadlift (3×6)

3 circuits of:

Incline press ×10

DB row ×10

Side arm raise ×10

3 circuits of:

Single-leg glute bridge

Plank

Calf raise

(pull-ups, grip and core get worked another day)

This seems to cover my main strength needs and takes about an hour, but my hips were killing me today. I had to cut my run back to an easy 30 minutes and spent the rest of the hour rolling, and something still feels off in my right hip. Maybe the deadlift after squatting is too much for me? The deadlift did pinch a little yesterday. Or maybe i just need to do a better job of stretching.  :D

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Back from my vacation and ready to move on to Phase 2!

Phase I - Base SUMMARY

Jan, Feb 2019

Running Plan

This went almost perfectly according to plan.  I started off this phase running 3 times a week for 40 minutes at a "comfortable" pace.  The plan was to end the phase at 4 runs per week (40, 40, 30, 90 mins), and I ended up at (45, 45, 30, 70 mins).  I missed my last long run of 90 due to a knee niggle.  Otherwise I am quite happy.

Injury-Proof Plan

Physio moved from the initial plan of extended sessions twice a week, to a few every day after runs or strength training.  This led to more consistency by the end of the phase, though I could have done better.  My knee and foot both have been much better recently.

Strength training happened once or twice a week - when I had to drop something due to appointments/life, I usually dropped strength.  It continues to be a little random with programming.

Weight loss - I had hoped to lose about 5 lbs by the end of this phase but I dislike calorie restriction. :D I lost about 2 lbs and that will have to be good enough.

Grip and Obstacles Plan

• Biweekly bouldering - I only went once in January and once in February
  • GtG grip work - this didn't end up being practical because I don't have all-day access to pull up bars, etc. Switched to twice weekly grip work.  Not enough. :( 
  • Visit an OCR gym to see where I am at with obstacles. - done! The write up is in a previous post.
  • Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Phase II - Speed and Power (and Grip!)

March to mid-April

Running Plan

This phase is all about speedwork and hills.  I will continue running 4 days/week (speed-track, speed-hills, 30 min easy, long run).  My long run can move outside as the weather starts getting above frostbite territory so it will be mostly on hilly trails, and will lengthen out to 2 hours over the next 5 weeks.

Injury-Proof Plan

• Strength Training - Stay with  full-body lifting 2/week for the next 5 weeks, but add in box jumps to start.  Lifting reps in the 5-8 range.  It is okay to swap out the occasional lifting session for a obstacle course conditioning class once in a while.
  • Physio/rehab - Do two physio exercises after every short run and every strength session.  20 minute yoga session twice a week.

Grip and Obstacle Plan

• Three grip/abs circuits a week.  One of these can be a bouldering session.  I need to focus on this if there is any hope of improving my obstacle performance (and therefore my lap time).

The last weekend before my final deload week will be XCamp, a two day OCR training camp.  It should be fun and I hopefully will have the baseline abilities to enjoy it by then!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

Detailed schedule for Phase II

Spoiler

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday  
Mar 6th - 10th Week 1     45 min E + 5 strides strength 75 min E (hilly) strength yoga  
        grip/abs yoga grip/abs bouldering hike (Prairie Mtn)  
Mar 11th - 17th Week 2 strength hills: 6x30s fast/2 min R 30 min E 90 min E (flat) strength Virtual 5K OCR yoga *work
    (dentist) grip/abs yoga grip/abs        
Mar 18th - 24th Week 3 hills: 8x30s fast/2 min R cor.fit 30 min E 105 min E (hilly) strength Track: 1/2/3 ladder, equal R yoga  
    grip/abs hike (Prairie Mtn) yoga grip/abs   bouldering    
Mar 25th - 31st Week 4 strength track: 8x30s fast/2 min R 30 min E 120 min E (flat) strength Hills: 1/2/3 ladder, equal R yoga  
      grip/abs yoga     grip/abs   *work
Apr 1st - 7th Week 5 hills: 8x30s fast/2 min R strength 30 min E Track: 1/2/3/2/1 pyramid yoga X camp (conditioning) X camp (trail run)  
    grip/abs   yoga bouldering hike (Sulphur Mtn)      
Apr 8th - 14th Week 6 yoga hills: 4x30s fast/2 min R strength (1 set 70%) 75 min E (hilly) grip/abs (1 circuit) 30 min E + 5 strides yoga *deload week
      grip/abs (1 circuit) yoga   yoga     *work

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

9 hours ago, Mikey Fitpants said:

That's some good planning. People on here generally seem very good at planning. I suppose it gives things a bit of structure and a more defined path to follow. It all helps.

Great at planning, mediocre at follow-through.  :D I find it helpful to not have to think or make decisions on a daily basis, I just have to pull on my workout gear and do it.

― Neil Gaiman

Update (8 Weeks to Black Ops)

I had a lovely long post written up, then the computer ate it.  So here is the short version.

Phase II Report

Training petered out in April due to illness, travel and family issues.  I did go on a few longer trail runs, had fun at the OCR camp, and got a PB 10K time of 60:56. Grip strength has not improved, and my knee is holding up okay. I met with a sports nutritionist and have a new plan to keep energy up and weight down.

Phase III Plan (May 1 - June 22)

I was promoted and I start next week. The job involves longer hours and fewer days off so it may take some time to figure out scheduling.  There are 6 good weeks of training left with a 5K OCR at the end of it, then two more weeks to taper and plan before Black Ops on June 22/23.  My Grandma's funeral is on May 11th so I will be away for several days to attend.

Training focus will be on tempo runs, longer and hilly trail runs, and obstacle proficiency.  Strength training will be reduced to just grip/physio/core work and a few classes I'll splurge at the OCR training facility.  With only 6 solid training weeks left, I need to hone in on a few key things.

Image result for black ops xwarrior

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Week T-8

The first few days of this week were a blur but I am getting my routine worked out.  Meals are an issue because I just learned myfitnesspal drastically under-represents my calories!  I thought something hinky was going on since I am still gaining weight.  The daily calories says I am at 1850/day, but adding up the macros puts it at 2150!  Jerks.  From now on I am going to have to add up the macros daily and ignore the calorie count.

The MEC trail run today was cancelled. :(  The last two weeks have been cold and wet and dumped a couple feet of snow on the trails, and the organizers decided it wasn't safe.  I ran a 14K loop of the city park instead but I am still sad.  Last year I ran the MEC trail race and wanted to be able to compare times.

On Thursday I attended a class at the OCR facility, and the time and format work well for me.  I will likely make it a weekly thing.

7 weeks to go!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Week T-8

The first few days of this week were a blur but I am getting my routine worked out.  Meals are an issue because I just learned myfitnesspal drastically under-represents my calories!  I thought something hinky was going on since I am still gaining weight.  The daily calories says I am at 1850/day, but adding up the macros puts it at 2150!  Jerks.  From now on I am going to have to add up the macros daily and ignore the calorie count.

The MEC trail run today was cancelled. :(  The last two weeks have been cold and wet and dumped a couple feet of snow on the trails, and the organizers decided it wasn't safe.  I ran a 14K loop of the city park instead but I am still sad.  Last year I ran the MEC trail race and wanted to be able to compare times.

On Thursday I attended a class at the OCR facility, and the time and format work well for me.  I will likely make it a weekly thing.

7 weeks to go!

How do you add up your calories by Macro counts?

That is great that the class works well for you.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

How do you add up your calories by Macro counts?

I use the simple formula that each gram of carb or protein = 4 calories, and each gram of fat = 9 calories.  It's not perfect (thermal effect of food, each person is a little different, no calorie count on any package is 100% correct, etc) but it is as accurate as any other and the standard for food labels in North America.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I use the simple formula that each gram of carb or protein = 4 calories, and each gram of fat = 9 calories.  It's not perfect (thermal effect of food, each person is a little different, no calorie count on any package is 100% correct, etc) but it is as accurate as any other and the standard for food labels in North America.

I had never heard that before.  So my goal today was 1,500, which I hit, but when I plugged those number in they came up to a little over 1,600

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I don't know that I understand the strategy behind controlling one's calories...

I've heard it said that for endurance athletes they will advocate carb loading and stuff like that.  more cals = more energy during workouts.

and yet. (and yet)

losing weight is good cause less weight equal more speed and power given the same amount of muscle.

---

? it conflicts. or 

i've just not researched this enough to get it right in my head.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Coming back to this Battle Log as a place holder.  This year was a wash due to a series of injuries and illnesses - it ended not with a bang, but a whimper.  To be fair to myself it was going well until I got that promotion in May, and went to full-time stressful office work with 3 hours of driving commute.  I couldn't handle the training stress or time on top of that.

I completed all my A events for 2019, and came in last in the competitive age-group in all of them as I was either very sick or mostly injured. I did not qualify for OCR World Championships this year.

(This was, however, enough to earn me my battle axe.)

Image result for xwarrior axe

I still want to qualify though... and the World OCR Championship for 2020 will be in North America.  I have some thoughts on this but I will wait and see how the next month goes before committing a plan to paper.

• Sad 1

― Neil Gaiman

I'm sorry this year didn't work out like you planned, and it sucks being injured/sick for most of it on top of new job stress. Still, major kudos for competing despite all that, and for earning a battle ax. That's awesome. :) Hoping the rest of this year and next year go better for you.  

• Thanks 1
On 10/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jupiter said:

I'm sorry this year didn't work out like you planned, and it sucks being injured/sick for most of it on top of new job stress. Still, major kudos for competing despite all that, and for earning a battle ax. That's awesome. :) Hoping the rest of this year and next year go better for you.  

Thanks Jupiter.  I was surprised by how quickly things came apart this summer, but I managed to enjoy myself at the events anyway.  The mental preparation served me well even if the physical didn't last.  I will need to catch up with your world too... I have been mostly absent from NF forums.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman