Defining Discipline

I'm a great planner - I'm excellent at collecting tools, strategies, schedules, systems....but the implementing? Not so much. And frankly, I have no excuses. (I mean, no, I have lots of excuses, BOOKS of excuses, but none that actually carry water)

TastyKeenLadybird-size_restricted.gif.afe05f7715597bb40168b7afecbf8cf9.gif

In general, I'm pretty good about eating well, moving regularly, getting good sleep, etc. Technically I'm checking all the boxes (most of the time), but not as well as I know I can. So, some accountability. I need to do something EVERY DAY for which I can celebrate: a bit more organisation and discipline in my life. That could be getting in enough protein, meditating, cleaning a room or a decluttering a piece of storage furniture. It could be increasing my lifts or going for an extra walk outside with the dogs. I'm not going to commit to any one thing, or a set level of goals - that way, I have zero excuses not to get SOMETHING accomplished every day. (because honestly, I'm really good at excuses, or even not bothering to give excuses to myself because I already know I won't believe it)

tumblr_osmpnrnRrr1wrxk4xo1_500.gif.6a553ec58241b7d70e0d509a1df1c891.gif

Putting off doing things that are good for me isn't a healthy choice, and I can do better. Some accountability here, which I know I need, since I've even put off writing THIS post for a few days as I avoid the idea of committing to improving myself once again. Here we go.

image.gif.70556970ddc0e4e00a5c9d986fbee212.gif

• Like 5

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Hey, something is better than nothing. You can only go up from here. :) 

See the source image

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking out loud, I know that many of us have struggled with our emotional relationship with food/exercise/health in the past, in some form or another. Often, the recommendation is to dig into the reasons behind those struggles, with the idea that understanding the 'why' will help give us a 'how' when trying to change.

In my experience, knowing the history that shapes my behaviour has rarely - if ever - been helpful in changing it. I've personally had more success in simply observing and changing the factors of practiced habits, rather than trying to figure out the unconscious motivations. Similar to solution focused brief therapy: I care more about the 'what', and the 'how we're going to change it', rather than the 'why'. I also understand that this approach isn't for everyone.

But I've found that this mindset of 'focus on the solution' assimilated into many different areas of my life. And seeing as I don't tend towards a high degree of empathy, it also sometimes makes me a bit of an asshole. I'm still trying to figure out if this is something I need to change, or if there's simply a tweak in my approach to people & life where I can be more understanding without losing my interest in efficacy.

Also, today I cleared a spot in my room for physio work in the morning, because I need to get back into the daily practice.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Defining said:

Similar to solution focused brief therapy: I care more about the 'what', and the 'how we're going to change it', rather than the 'why'.

For what it's worth, I find that approach very useful and efficient too: see a hole, take some distance, look at its surroundings and then at it to understand it better, walk closer, go around and observe, decide how you want to tackle it and then do it. No emotions, no "what is the hole thinking about this whole", no hard decisions once the real choice is done (and real choices are more often easy to do than not once you take the emotional stuff out of the equation), swift and quick. Each situation is unique, I like to start by it while still applying my outside knowledge to it. It makes me more of an asocial than a jerk, though.

My take ? Everybody can adapt. I can adapt to less efficient systems and take them into account and the people around me can adapt to the way I work. It all falls down to whether it would be more efficient to go for my way without thinking twice or to take the time to work toward people so that they'll make everything go smooth in the background when it's time to implement a solution.

So, basically, for me:

1. More often than not, social engineering beats technical engineering hands down (so gathering good will beats solving stuff on my own quickly and efficiently) ;
  2. Efficiency and self assurance buy good will (so, working in my own way on my own space is a good investment too).

Then, it's a game of balancing the two: what will come bit me in the rear if I act in this or this way? More importantly, assuming I know what I do: who can really stop me and what would make them want to do so -> how can I take proactive steps so that they stand by my side instead of against my work.

Enjoy your thinking and good job working toward the physio work. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Have had a raging headache for 4 days now, it's -25C in the middle of the afternoon sunshine, Windows 10 Update killed my desktop, and work (with mother dearest) is driving me up the frigging wall. Today, I'm going to call it a win that I ate breakfast. FFS.

• Like 1

Hang in there, you'll either replenish your batteries or the temperatures will go up.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Thanks dude, I do really appreciate the encouragement. We're due for <-20C temps here for another week or two, such are the joys of living in Canada. ;)

Digestive system is also flaring up (again), thank you stress. Plus busy work shit, and I am trying to slowly clean/declutter the house this year (it'll probably take 20-24months, realistically, even if I commit 15hrs/week to the cause) and I've really been avoiding getting that started. Have not been eating enough veg or protein, too much caffeine, forgetting to eat all day until 8pm.... So I'm kind of leaning towards giving myself a break, and going back to a liquid diet for a bit. Just need to be able to stop thinking about 52 different things at once right now, and this'll give me some breathing room.

Smoothies take away the need to meal plan or cook for a few weeks, plus it makes sure I get enough protein, gives my tummy a break, and will eliminate any stress/stealth snacking on junk food while I get the home base back under control. Just gotta rearrange the kitchen a bit so that everything is easy/quick to blitz stuff up and get back to work. And I have to do it tonight, because otherwise I'm going to not get it done and then sit right back down tomorrow night and think to myself: 'shit - I'll start tomorrow instead'. I love tomorrow - it's the land where everything gets done (read: nothing ever gets done when I put it off to the next day). *sigh*

• Like 2

Looks like a plan. This situation looks so familiar that I can't help but be rooting for you. Be strong and take care.

14 hours ago, Jean said:

This situation looks so familiar that I can't help but be rooting for you.

Fortunately my 'busy work stress' is entirely self-inflicted. Since I'm self employed it's more a matter of wanting to add stuff and creating systems for that, as opposed to what I've read in your battle logs around unreasonable expectations in the work place. But as always, the care you offer is appreciated!

I should really know better by now - digestive flare up was a harbinger for intermittent stabbing pain/muscle spasms today, likely exacerbated by poor sleep quality last night. Breathing has felt tight and a bit of a struggle all day, and I just can't get warm. Serves me right for getting busy enough to neglect daily movement and better food choices. Historical experience tells me that I can expect to 'enjoy' this for several more days until my body stops pulling this shit. 

Had practically no hunger today due to pain, but have stayed hydrated thanks to herbal tea. I love tea. Going to go soak my feet in hot water so I can feel my toes properly before going to bed. Extra blankets & pillows tonight. Ugh. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I'm sorry. :( Hope you feel better fast.

13 hours ago, Jean said:

Take care.

Thanks guys - I'm just having a cranky week. Don't normally post this stuff because I think it's better to focus on positives than negatives. Anywho - off to clean up the workshop downstairs.

Keeping track of my goal progress here so I'm not cluttering up everyone else's stuff.

Week 1:

Mon: 4km, 8hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 80g protein, 3 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Tues: 12km, 2hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 150g protein, 5 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Wed: 13km, 0hr tidying, 1hr video, 120g protein, 6 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Thurs: 11km, 0hr tidying, 1hr video, 160g protein, 6 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Fri: 14km, 0hr tidying, 0hr video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Sat: 9km, 0hr tidying, 0hr video, 120g protein, 4 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Sun: 8km, 0hr tidying, 0hr video, 100g protein, 4 veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Week end:

G1: 71km

G2: 10hrs tidying

G3: 2hrs video

G4: 2 days met intake goals

BG5: all physio, no workouts

• Like 3

Lots of room for improvement. Need to work on structuring my day/time a bit better.

Week 2:

Mon: 8km, 0hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Tues: 13km, 0hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 175g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Wed: 7km, 0hrs tidying, 3hrs video, 165g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Thurs: 14km, 1hr tidying, 1hr video, 165g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Fri: 9km, 2hrs tidying, 2hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Sat: 10km, 3hrs tidying, 1hrs video, 170g protein, 6veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Sun: 8km, 0hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 150g protein, 5veg + 2 fruit, physio no workout

Week end:

G1: 69km

G2: 6hrs tidying

G3: 7hrs video

G4: 6 days met intake goals

BG5: all physio, no workouts

Focusing on structuring my time a bit better this week, getting my editing station up and running, and maybe doing a time audit and mood journal to figure out why I'm stalling.

Week 3:

Mon: 10km, 2hrs tidying, 2hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout (SCORE! was a good day)

Tues: 12km, 0hrs tidying, 1hr video, 170g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout

Wed: 7km, 1hr tidying, 1hr video, 150g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout

Thurs: 10km, 2hrs tidying, 0hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout

Fri: 9km, 1hr tidying, 0hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout

Sat: 17km, 0hrs tidying, 2hrs video, 100g protein, 3veg + 2fruit, no physio no workout 

Sun: 6km, 0hrs tidying, 3hrs video, 160g protein, 6veg + 2fruit, physio no workout

Week End:

G1: 71km

G2: 6hrs tidying

G3: 9hrs video

G4: 5days met intake goals

BG5: most physio, no workouts - booooo

• Like 1