Defining Discipline

32 minutes ago, Defining said:

I mean, yes....but in this particular case, no. This is a skill that I want to learn in order to do other stuff; so I can mix it with other exercises that I enjoy more, but it's also something that I want to learn so I can go on to the next step for other projects.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

I dunno what's going on in my body for the last couple of weeks, but my digestion has been great (possibly because I've been avoiding junk) which is nice, however.... My shoulders & neck are KILLING ME. Maybe I slept on something funny and it's just taking a while to get better? I haven't been in this much pain since I got back into daily physio routines, and I am NOT HAPPY. Gah. Not going to stress about it unless it continues for longer than 3-4 weeks, but in the meantime: OUCH.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

11 hours ago, Defining said:

My shoulders & neck are KILLING ME. Maybe I slept on something funny and it's just taking a while to get better? I haven't been in this much pain since I got back into daily physio routines, and I am NOT HAPPY. Gah. Not going to stress about it unless it continues for longer than 3-4 weeks, but in the meantime: OUCH.

Ouch...have you tried some gentle stretching?

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Ouch...have you tried some gentle stretching?

OH yeah, I have a pretty thorough daily stretching/activation practice for shoulder/back/neck, created through decades of trying different stuff. I even have muscle relaxants and heating pads for the really bad days. Pretty sure this is just a phase that'll pass, I'm just confused what brought it on - it usually gets worse with stress, but I can't say that I've been stressed about much in the last couple weeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defining said:

OH yeah, I have a pretty thorough daily stretching/activation practice for shoulder/back/neck, created through decades of trying different stuff. I even have muscle relaxants and heating pads for the really bad days. Pretty sure this is just a phase that'll pass, I'm just confused what brought it on - it usually gets worse with stress, but I can't say that I've been stressed about much in the last couple weeks.

Yuck. Well, hopefully it passes fast. 🤞

• Thanks 1

I am avoiding responsibility today. Being lazy about food, got in the bare minimum for walking, still haven't got the paperwork done that I said I'd finish up (will do it soon), can't seem to focus on anything long enough to get some good reading in, been feeling super cold all day (gloves & slippers in use), still in pain, and have been using online projects/bits&pieces to avoid doing anything productive. BOOOOO. Mmmk, I can be cranky and still get my paperwork done - I'll just watch something fun while I do it. Tomorrow will be better! I WILL IT SO!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Defining said:

I'll just watch something fun while I do it. Tomorrow will be better! I WILL IT SO!

Sounds like a good plan! You got this! :) 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Sounds like a good plan! You got this! :) 

Thank you, I can't tell you much I appreciate your supportive messages, they always make me feel better. :)

I did get the paperwork done, and started today with rowing to get the blood flowing first thing, which I think helped. 

On an entirely different note though, I had a stroke of genius today: watch my CreativeLive courses WHILE decluttering! It's perfect because I often try to multi-task when watching stuff but that's not great for information retention, whereas organising/tidying isn't intellectually demanding so it's won't distract. It ALSO makes my 'screen time' far more productive, since I can't seem to get my teeth into a new TV series right now. I'm quite happy with myself.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, Defining said:

Thank you, I can't tell you much I appreciate your supportive messages, they always make me feel better. :)

I'm glad! :D 

On 1/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, Defining said:

On an entirely different note though, I had a stroke of genius today: watch my CreativeLive courses WHILE decluttering! It's perfect because I often try to multi-task when watching stuff but that's not great for information retention, whereas organising/tidying isn't intellectually demanding so it's won't distract. It ALSO makes my 'screen time' far more productive, since I can't seem to get my teeth into a new TV series right now. I'm quite happy with myself.

Nice! :) 

• Like 1

A little over two weeks into 2020:

I'm looking forward to getting 'better' at running, at least to the point where I start to dislike it less; truthfully I think that general conditioning will likely go a long way for this. In the meantime I've been mostly stuck inside thanks to a delightful -30C cold snap for the last week or so; it's supposed to warm up a bit on Monday though! :)  So I'm nearly done my work upgrade course, but I've been slacking on my tidying goals. I'm thinking I might do a big blast of that stuff today.

I have been falling down on the weight lifting too (mostly because the basement is COLD right now!); I might invest in a space heater actually, to take away excuses. I also haven't set up the book club stuff yet; was super excited about it at the end of Dec, and then got cold feet (excuse the expression) to have to actually put together enough people to do it! Maybe I'll send some emails this morning....

Fortunately my morning/evening routines and nutrition have been steady. Yesterday I actually pulled out some of my favourite old glass water bottles; they're each 500ml, so I'm thinking that I'll fill 3 every morning and chuck them in the fridge, 'to finish by end of day' kind of thing. OH, I should put one beside my bed at night and chug it down before getting up in the morning! See, THIS is why I like writing stuff out sometimes. :P

OK, so then, on the list for the day:

- get an oil heater for the workout room

- send at least one email about book club (more would be awesome though)

- fill (then empty) some water bottles

- spend a few hours at least decluttering (no laundry until Monday though, I don't want to add humidity to the house when it's this cold)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Y'know how you love your family, but don't always like them very much?

All too well man, all too well. 

2 hours ago, Defining said:

ignore the conflict until it goes away. That works, right?

For some, it actually does. For others, all the grudges add up and fester in the back of the head, just to explode at some point, ignited by a spark from some even small disagreement. 

It depends on how much importance the person is willing to give to the conflict itself, how much it bothers them. 

IMO it's better to talk through issues* than let them pile up, even though I see myself as a one who forgets about conflicts easily - because most people tend to overthink grudges, cling to the feeling of being wronged. 

* I'm not a professional of any kind on the topic. It's just my own experience and things I read on the internet :)

• Like 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

9 hours ago, aramis said:

IMO it's better to talk through issues* than let them pile up, even though I see myself as a one who forgets about conflicts easily - because most people tend to overthink grudges, cling to the feeling of being wronged. 

You are likely correct. In this particular case we disagree on a decision that will affect both of us, and I more or less left it at 'just do whatever you think is best', because I'm tired of trying to explain why I disagree. If this is one more grudge on the pile, so be it, I guess.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defining said:

Y'know how you love your family, but don't always like them very much? Yeah. Kinda frustrated with my sister just at the moment. I'm just going to ignore the conflict until it goes away. That works, right?

Ugh, I totally understand. And it seems to work in my family LOL. 

10 hours ago, Defining said:

You are likely correct. In this particular case we disagree on a decision that will affect both of us, and I more or less left it at 'just do whatever you think is best', because I'm tired of trying to explain why I disagree. If this is one more grudge on the pile, so be it, I guess.

Sometimes people are just going to do what they are going to do regardless of what anybody tells them and it's just best to let it go. I'm sorry you are dealing with family drama. :( 

• Haha 1
On 1/1/2020 at 10:51 AM, Defining said:

By Feb 15, 2020 I will have nearly finished my broker course, pushed myself into running a bit, organised some of my immediate physical environment, really solidified my daily routines and drinking more water, had a book club meeting, and completed a fun video course. Holy crap.

2/6?

590620222_download(8).gif.057f7c45a8b7526b12cd8c69ae2a1e55.gif

• Like 1

Ok. So I didn't accomplish everything I planned to. That's ok....

2014773989_download(13).gif.c20660d45b01ab3ddf882595c9ff4b18.gif

Gotta avoid the tendency I have to just say 'eff it' to the whole productivity thing and goals altogether. I'm better than that. I did take another look at my annual stuff this morning, and it looks WAY more intimidating now, for whatever reason. But I need to stop wallowing in my comfort zones, so: tough shit. No disappearing. 

1193782802_download(14).gif.009b360b26b9dc1dab8d10437a123841.gif

I'm trying to tweak my mindset a bit on this stuff, because while I know that consistency over time is important, sometimes I am most productive when I start and finish a project all at once. I think this may need to apply to my work course, and maybe even some of my creativity goals as well.

Also going to put some thought into some behavioural cues & maybe a visual system of some type to give me an analogue tracking tool. I have to promise myself that I won't just sit still though; doing the same stuff gives the same results.

414614084_download(15).gif.92a4d6a9ec9cf8496933f7ae1b4532a7.gif

• Like 1

I find myself tempted to rejig several of my annual/quarterly goals. Not sure if this is because I'm backsliding, or because I'm realising they're not quite hitting the right buttons. How does one know when they are being authentic with themselves, vs making excuses to yourself...? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Defining said:

I find myself tempted to rejig several of my annual/quarterly goals. Not sure if this is because I'm backsliding, or because I'm realising they're not quite hitting the right buttons. How does one know when they are being authentic with themselves, vs making excuses to yourself...? 

By how you feel when you're thinking about it. Do you feel positive about switching things up or just meh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Just now, fitnessgurl said:

By how you feel when you're thinking about it. Do you feel positive about switching things up or just meh?

Mostly just 'meh' and 'I don't actually care about this outcome'. Stuff like the OCR, climbing gym, etc. where I think they'd be interesting experiences but maybe not actually enjoyable. I've also not done anything to sort out a few delays on the book club front, mostly because I keep thinking to myself 'this is going to be more work than play'. And on the one hand I think that the outcome needs to be important, but on the other I also set these goals with the thought in mind that I KNOW they're important, even if I don't FEEL that they are. Pretty much just grappling with the disconnect between practicing healthful habits because they are good for me, vs only doing what I 'want'.

Damn. Now that I've typed it out like that, it does kinda seem like I should stick with the plan as written, if only for the sake of gathering data and completing the things I've 'promised' myself that I will do. Blargh.

• Like 1

Defining has not had discipline. :( I don't think I've 'met' any of my Q1 goals, apart from staying consistent with previously established habits. I'm also cognizant of the fact that many of my 'reward goal' activities will likely no longer be available this year due to COVID, so I am probably due to revisit these items anyway. Also, getting rear ended and having brand-new neck/back/shoulder/chest issues has been a confounding factor. Aiming to finish my broker course in the next couple of week, so while I'm behind schedule at least I haven't just abandoned everything?

I am making peace with the idea that something is better than nothing, and progress is not linear. Ok. *deep breath* Let's start round 2.

1044667689_download(19).gif.2956479f5cfe1583fe7fd7108bb15c2a.gif

• Like 1