Defining Discipline

42 minutes ago, Defining said:

Moral of the story: concrete goals are more productive. I already knew that, UGH!

I don't know, looks like you're doing pretty good to me. 

• Thanks 1

6/7: Walk at least 10km a day; jump rope (aka 'running' training) & weight lifting

7/7: Eat enough veg & protein, don't eat too much junk; drink at least 1.5L of 'not coffee' a day

4/5: Spend at least 5hrs a week decluttering (aka. if possible fill the recycling and garbage bins for each pickup)

0/bah humbug: Do something useful for work development (possibly sign up for uni? gah! :( )

7/7: Let's try gratitude journaling?

1/success! : Make something every week

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

1 hour ago, Defining said:

6/7: Walk at least 10km a day; jump rope (aka 'running' training) & weight lifting

7/7: Eat enough veg & protein, don't eat too much junk; drink at least 1.5L of 'not coffee' a day

4/5: Spend at least 5hrs a week decluttering (aka. if possible fill the recycling and garbage bins for each pickup)

0/bah humbug: Do something useful for work development (possibly sign up for uni? gah! :( )

7/7: Let's try gratitude journaling?

1/success! : Make something every week

Yay, doing good (especially that last one)!!

Top 30 Fist Pump GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

NGL, I'm pretty pissed off with myself. I didn't accomplish the vast majority of my goals for 2020, I didn't keep up with habits, and I pretty much just stopped trying/tracking at all. I won't blame COVID, since my actual day to day life was barely affected if I'm being honest. So I have only myself to look at.

Cart Before Horse: 0 - General Antipathy: 21

Defining's 2021: Mind your P's & Qs 2.0

Where I am (ie. will be) at the end of 2021

- Professional: I am spending at least 3hrs a week generating new leads, and hitting at least 80% of my transaction goals

- Physical: I have lost at least 20lbs of bodyweight (mostly fat), I can run a 5k without stopping, I have met or exceeded Novice Strength goals (Female Strength Standards for Weightlifting (lb) - Strength Level)

- Personal Space: I live and work in clean and tidy spaces, which I have a regular routine to maintain

- Quotidian: I follow daily routines to add structure lifestyle, and keep myself accountable to a better say:do ratio

- Quietude: I do yoga at least 3x a week, I focus on active listening rather than waiting to speak

- Quicken: I am doing something creative every week, I am spending at least 7hrs a week on uni courses

If I finish my quarterly goal early, I can continue on to the next; so obviously some adjustments may need to be made as the year progresses.

Q1: Jan-Mar

Professional: Get up to date on paperwork/recoding keeping; develop a better tracking/database system; set transaction goals; explore networking options in the changed landscape of COVID/2021

Physical: C25 and/or skipping & high knees; minimum 2x weight lifting a week; minimum 8km walking/running/skipping a day (can be part of the C25k training)

Personal Space: decluttering personal space; at least 4hrs/week

Quotidian:  morning/evening routines; restart 5:2; reset protein & veg intake, drink min1.5L non-caffeinated/caloric beverages

Quietude: add some yoga with my morning/evening routines; revisit the Book Club idea

Quicken: sign up for a uni course; spend time practicing piano or on a creative course for min 4hrs/week

Q2: Apr-Jun

Professional: post regularly on SM, create content for this purpose min 6hrs/week; continuing education and/or committee work

Physical: C25 and/or skipping & high knees; walk at least 10km/day, 3x weight lifting a week

Personal Space: finish decluttering the upstairs and main floor office; at least 5hrs/week

Quotidian: continue previous habits; weekly 'chore' list rather than just cleaning when absolutely necessary

Quietude: continue on with book club & personal yoga practice; maybe find a pen pal or similar?

Quicken: at least 2 uni courses; spend time practicing piano or on a creative course for min 5hrs/week

Q3a: Jul-Aug

Professional: keep the new systems in place; reexamine if a part-time gig on the side w/ video production is a good use of time or not

Physical: continue walking & workouts, and start trying for handstands & pull-ups

Personal Space: declutter the main level, including kitchen cupboards, wall unit, buffet, etc.; at least 6hrs/week

Quotidian: maintain everything up to this point; walk the dogs at the same times of day (work schedule permitting) because it might be warm out

Quietude: continue w/ book club & yoga work; 

Quicken: continue/finish at least 3 uni courses since Jan; spend time practicing piano or on a creative course for min 6hrs/week

Q3b-Q4: Sep-Dec - Time to reevaluate, I fell off hardcore around Aug/Sep last year so this needs to be a 'reset'

Professional: TBD

Physical: TBD

Personal Space: TBD

Quotidian: TBD

Quietude: TBD

Quicken: TBD

1650866363_download(24).gif.9e7f566c058d23fb0f64954f6d809338.gif

So, uh. I guess I'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

I love the way you set your goals up by quarter. I may have to steal that idea for my own yearly goals. 

• Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

So I suppose this is a respawn. Years on, and I feel like I'm starting at square one, again, because I haven't been consistent enough to make progress.  Right now I'm feeling weak, unhealthy (gut is acting up AGAIN, gah), demotivated, unproductive, and stagnant. Reviewing the goals I've set for the last two years is frustrating, seeing what I haven't actually done. Only way to go now is up, I suppose.

I'm really questioning my professional plans; I helped out a friend of a friend with some office work earlier this year, and my nerve pain really flared up from less than 2 weeks of desk work. With that in mind, I'm struggling to find the push to continue to work on schooling to go into law, since I'm not sure I can physically withstand that type of work even just for articling. OR, it's possible I'm just making excuses, I'm not sure quite sure anymore.

Digestion has been worse than usual, for no discernable reason I can fathom. I should really go back to  proper meal planning, which - even if it doesn't help with the digestion - would at least help with eating more nourishing foods. General aches & pains have been aggravated by my sedentary life lately, so that would be helped with more activity. The house and my spaces are still unfathomably messy, save for a few pockets that I sporadically cleared out and re-housed some mess elsewhere.

I still like my goals, and habits that I've used in the past. I guess the thing to do now is to simply try to accomplish a bit of each every day, and see where that takes me.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 9:52 AM, Defining said:

I still like my goals, and habits that I've used in the past. I guess the thing to do now is to simply try to accomplish a bit of each every day, and see where that takes me.

You Can Do It GIFs | Tenor

• Thanks 1

Uh, two weeks later. :( 

I might need a kick in the ass this time 'round, since it doesn't seem to be moving. Note to self: find kick in the ass.

Spoiler

_____________________________  _____________________________
May 15 - Sergeant Stubby was the official mascot of the 102nd Infantry of the American Expeditionary Forces' 26th "Yankee" Divisionand the first dog to be awarded ranking in the U.S. Army. Stubby comforted woulded soldiers and protected them in trenches during World War I.

May 16 - According to the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI), two out of every five FCI-recognized breeds come from either the United Kingdom, Francy, or Germany.

May 17 - The Furbo Dog Camera watches your pup while you're away, sending you alerts when there's sudden movement or danger.

May 18 - The most popular dog names in 2019 were Bella and Charlie.

May 19 - The most popular dog breed in the U.S. is the Labrador retreiver.

May 20 - In 1923, Bobbie the Wonder Dog, a Scotch collie/English shepherd mix, became famous for making the 2,551-mi. (4,105-km) trek from Indiana back to his master's home in Oregon.

May 21 - Dr. Gregory Berns, a neuroscientist at Emory University and the author of What It's Like to Be a Dog (2017), produced a study that found "dogs derive as much pleaseure from love as from food."

May 22 - Cavalier King Charles spaniels, originally from the United Kingdom, are highly affectionate, playful, patient, and eager to please. They're also not shy about socializing with larger-breed dogs, proving they can get along with just about anybody!

May 23 - Retrievers are especially good at using their tails as rudders when they swim.

May 24 -  Queen Victoria had many dogs, including Dandie, a Sky terrier; Dash, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel; Nero and Eos, greyhounds; Islay, a Skye terrier; Marco and Turi, Pomeranians; Hector, a deerhound; and Noble and Sharp, collies._____________________________  _____________________________

My 25 - Hollywood's first dog star was Rin Tin Tin, a German shepherd found wounded in battle in World War I and adopted by an American soldier named Lee Duncan. Rin Tin Tin signed his contracts with a paw print.

May 26 - In the Middle Ages, the leisured class often kept dogs as pets, while the rest of the population mainly used them for protection and herding.

May 27 - The golden retriever is a popular breed for disability assitance, often acting as a guide dog for the blind or a hearing dog for the deaf. Golden retreivers can also be trained as detection dogs and search-and-rescue dogs.

May 28 - Woof & Brew, a British dog product company, sells "Bottom Sniffer," an alcohol-free "beer" for dogs.

May 29 - In 1926, Titina, a brown fox terrier, was the first dog to travel to the North Pole (on an airship!) as a companion to the famous Italian explorer and pilot Umberto Nobile.

May 30 - The St. John's water dog, also known as the St. John's dog or the lesser Newfoundland, was the ancestor of several retrievers, including the golden retriever and Labrador retriever.

May 31 - Military working dogs, or MWDs, play a critical role and are crucial to the safety of service members. The military estimates that the average MWD saves between 150 and 200 lives over the course of their career.

Jun 01 - Dogs see in slow motion and are able to absorb information 25 percent faster than humans can.

Jun 02 - From 1928 to 1946, a German shepherd named Ace the Wonder Dog acted in several films. His first appearance was in the firlm Blind Alibi (1938).

Jun 03 - Saint Bernards were originally bred at the Great and Little Saint Bernard Pass, in the Italian-French Alps, for rescue purposes. The breed has become famous for their heroic acts of alpine rescue, not to mention for their enormous size and kind temperaments.

Jun 04 - The ancient Egyptian word for dog was "iwiw," referring to its bark.

Jun 05 - Saint Guinefort was a greyound with his own shrine in 13th-century France. Local villagers venerated him well into the 20th century.

Jun 06 - Large boarhounds resembling the Great Dane appear in ancient Greece, in frescoes from Tiryns dating back to the 14th-13th centuries BCE.

Jun 07 - The rottweiler is one of the oldest herding breeds, possibly dating back to the Roman Empire.

Jun 08 - House or apartment owner? The beagle and collie are the noisiest dogs, while the Akbash dog and the basenji are the quietest.*

*fact check: it always depends on the individual dog

Jun 09 - The poodle is originally from Germany, where it was known as the "Pudelhund." The word "pudel" is derived from the Low German verb meaning "to splash about," and the word "hund" means "hound" or "dog."

Jun 10 - One-third of dog owners phone their dogs or leave messages for them while they are away.

Jun 11 - Mick the Miller (1926-1939) was the first greyhound to run a 525-yd. (480-m) course in under 30 seconds.

Jun 12 - Petting dogs are gazing into their eye releases oxytocin (also known as the "love hormone" or "cuddle hormone") for both people and dogs.

Jun 13 - The Norwegian lundehund has six toes on each foot. Its name is a compound noun: "lunde" means "puffin" in Norwegian, and "hund" means dog. The breed was originally developed for the hunting of puffins and their eggs.

Jun 14 - In Northbrook, Illinois, it's illegal for a dog to bark for more than 15 minutes.

Jun 15 - Most dogs are capable of smelling a spoonful of sugar in two Olympic swimming pools' worth of water.

Jun 16 - A shih tzu, also known as the "Chrysanthemum Dog," is a toy dog breed that weighs 10 to 19 lb. (4.5 to 8.6kg) when fully grown. It is thought to have originated in Tibet and then developed in China.

Jun 17 - The Akita is a large breed of dog originating from the mountainous northern regionds of Japan. There are two separate varieties of Akita: a Japanese strain and an American strain.

Jun 18 - During the Middle Ages, Great Danes and mastiffs were outfitted in armor and spiked collars to enter a battle or to defend supply caravans.

Jun 19 - The Belgian Mlinois breed is used as a working dog for tasks including detection of odors such as explosives, accelerants (for arson investigations), and narcotics, as well as search-and-rescue missions.

Jun 20 - Since 2001, the Palm Dog Award has been given at the Cannes Film Festival for best canine actor.

Jun 21 - The Salish wool dog is an extinct dog breed from what is now Washington and British Columbia. Coast Salish peoples sheared the dogs' wool to weave blankets.

Jun 22 - The Saint Bernanrd is among the heaviest breeds of dog, weighing an average 140 to 220 lb. (63 to 99.8kg).

Jun 23 - As of 2016, it is mandatory to microchip dogs in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Jun 24 - The Siberian husky originated in northeastern Siberia, Russia. The original Siberian huskies were bred by the Chukchi people, whose hunter-gatherer culture relied on their help.

Jun 25 - Dogs can get jealous when they see their humans show affection towards someone else.

Jun 26 - The names of many individual ancient Egyptian dogs ahve been recorded. The names refer to color and character, such as Useless, Ebony, Good Herdsman, Reliable, and Brave One.

Jun 27 - Vizslas are a very high energy, gentle-manneered, loyal, caring, and highly affectionate breed. They quickly form close bonds with their owners, children, and even strangers. Often they are referred to as "velcro" dogs because of their loyalty and affection.

Jun 28 - In 1930, Walt Disney Productions introduced Pluto, a medium-sized short-haired dog with black ears, as the non-anthropomorphic pet of Mickey Mouse.

Jun 29 - Border collies can trace their lineage back to one dog, Old Hemp, born in 1892. Border collie probably originated along the Anglo-Scottish border. It is thought the word "collie" comes from the old Celtic word for "useful."

Jun 30 - For The Wizard of Oz (1939), Toto, played by a female brindle cairn terrier named Terry, earned US$125 per week of filming, equivalent to US$2,299.07 in 2020.

Jul 01 - Five breeds of dog are uniquely Canadian: the Canadian Inuit dog, the Larador retreiver, the Nova Scotia duck-tolling retriver, the Newfoundland dog, and the Tahltan bear dog.

Jul 02 - A group of pugs is called a grumble.

Jul 03 - The affenpinscher, a terrier-like toy breed of dog, is also known as the money terrier.

Jul 04 - During the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), soldiers sometimes brought their dogs with them into battle.

Jul 05 - Shih tzus are one of the breeds of dog most closely related to wolves.

Jul 06 - Bad fruit: Small quantities of grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in some dogs.

Jul 07 - The American Kennel Club lists 23 accepted colors for Pomerarians including beaver, sable, chocolate, black, orange, and white, and a number of combinations of those colors.

Jul 08 - The saluki, also known as the Persian greyhound, is a dog originally bred in the Fertile Crescent. Its name is derived from the two ancient Sumerian words which mean "plunge-earth."

Jul 09 - The collective noun for a group of dogs may be a cry, a cowardice, a kennel, a mute, or a pack.

Jul 10 - In 1991, German countess Karlotta Liebenstein left approximately US$80 million to her Alsation dog, Gunther III. Gunther III has since passed, but the estate was bequeathed to Gunther IV, whose caretakers bought him a US$7 million mansion in Miami (once owned by Madonna) where he has free roam of the grounds and his own doggie playroom.

Jul 11 - Sant Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, is sometimes depicted with a dog's head, a misinterpretation of the Latin term "Cananeus" ("Canaanite") to read "canineus" ("dog").

Jul 12 - Welcome home! Scientists have found that their owners' smell activates the "reward center" of dogs' brains and the odor lingers like a perfume triggering an emotional response.

Jul 13 - In the Harry Potter saga, Fluffy is a giant three-headed dog based on Cerberus, the three-headed dog from Greek mythology that guards the gates of the underworld.

Jul 14 - In the 19th centure, New South Wales cattle farmer Thomas Hall crossed the dogs used by drovers in his parents' home country, Northumberland, with dingoes he had tamed. The resulting dogs were known as Hall's heelers.

Jul 15 - American photographer William Wegman is best known for his seris of photos featuring Weimaraners. In 1996, his dogs Battina, Crooky, Chundy, and Chip starred in segments of Sesame Street.

Jul 16 - The oldest known dog bones were found in Germany in 1914 and date as far back as 14,000 years ago.

Jul 17 - The dog on the Cracker Jack box is named Bingo.

Jul 18 - The Boerboel is a large breed from South Africa. Acording to the AKC, they're strong enough to win a fight with a leopard.

Jul 19 - The Pekingese breed is over 2,000 years old, one of the oldest.

Jul 20 - Plato said that "a dog has the soul of a philosopher."

Jul 21 - Cardigan Welsh corgies are said to originate from the Teckel family of dogs, which also produced dachsunds. They are claimed to be among the oldest of all herding breeds, existing in Wales since approximately 1200 BCE.

Jul 22 - African wild dogs, which are native to Weest and Central Africa, run up tree trunks while they are urinating to appear very large to their foes.

Jul 23 - The expression "the dog days of summer" comes from the ancient Greeks and Romans describing the hottest days of summer, which coincided with the rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. Siriusly.

Jul 24 - A dog's ear canal is L-shaped: certical toward the jaw, then taking a nearly 90 degree turn horizontally toward the ear drum.

Jul 25 - The best age to bring a puppy home is when it is between 8 and 12 weeks old.

Jul 26 - A dog's level of attention can be determined by watching their ears. Erect ears facing forward indicate that they're engaged, and slightly back ears signal that they're feeling friendly; ears laid tightly back against the head suggest a fearful or timid reaction.

Jul 27 - Some Russian stray dogs have figured out how to ride the subway in order to travel to areas with more food.

Jul 28 - A working dog is a type of dog that is not merely a pet, but also learns and performs tasks to assist its human companions, such as a guide dog.

Jul 29 - German shepherds used to be known as Alsatians in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Jul 30 - A 2015 study of African and Eurasian canids found that extant wolf-like canids colonized Africa from Eurasia at least five times throughout the Pliocene and Pleistocene areas.

Jul 31 - National Mutt Day is also celebrated on December 2 to double awareness of mixed breed dogs in shelters around the United States.

Aug 01 - Sorted by North Shore Animal League America, DOGust the 1st is the official birthday for rescues with unknown birthdays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defining said:

Uh, two weeks later. :( 

I might need a kick in the ass this time 'round, since it doesn't seem to be moving. Note to self: find kick in the ass.

Reveal hidden contents

May 15 - Sergeant Stubby was the official mascot of the 102nd Infantry of the American Expeditionary Forces' 26th "Yankee" Divisionand the first dog to be awarded ranking in the U.S. Army. Stubby comforted woulded soldiers and protected them in trenches during World War I.

May 16 - According to the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI), two out of every five FCI-recognized breeds come from either the United Kingdom, Francy, or Germany.

May 17 - The Furbo Dog Camera watches your pup while you're away, sending you alerts when there's sudden movement or danger.

May 18 - The most popular dog names in 2019 were Bella and Charlie.

May 19 - The most popular dog breed in the U.S. is the Labrador retreiver.

May 20 - In 1923, Bobbie the Wonder Dog, a Scotch collie/English shepherd mix, became famous for making the 2,551-mi. (4,105-km) trek from Indiana back to his master's home in Oregon.

May 21 - Dr. Gregory Berns, a neuroscientist at Emory University and the author of What It's Like to Be a Dog (2017), produced a study that found "dogs derive as much pleaseure from love as from food."

May 22 - Cavalier King Charles spaniels, originally from the United Kingdom, are highly affectionate, playful, patient, and eager to please. They're also not shy about socializing with larger-breed dogs, proving they can get along with just about anybody!

May 23 - Retrievers are especially good at using their tails as rudders when they swim.

May 24 -  Queen Victoria had many dogs, including Dandie, a Sky terrier; Dash, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel; Nero and Eos, greyhounds; Islay, a Skye terrier; Marco and Turi, Pomeranians; Hector, a deerhound; and Noble and Sharp, collies._____________________________  _____________________________

My 25 - Hollywood's first dog star was Rin Tin Tin, a German shepherd found wounded in battle in World War I and adopted by an American soldier named Lee Duncan. Rin Tin Tin signed his contracts with a paw print.

May 26 - In the Middle Ages, the leisured class often kept dogs as pets, while the rest of the population mainly used them for protection and herding.

May 27 - The golden retriever is a popular breed for disability assitance, often acting as a guide dog for the blind or a hearing dog for the deaf. Golden retreivers can also be trained as detection dogs and search-and-rescue dogs.

May 28 - Woof & Brew, a British dog product company, sells "Bottom Sniffer," an alcohol-free "beer" for dogs.

May 29 - In 1926, Titina, a brown fox terrier, was the first dog to travel to the North Pole (on an airship!) as a companion to the famous Italian explorer and pilot Umberto Nobile.

May 30 - The St. John's water dog, also known as the St. John's dog or the lesser Newfoundland, was the ancestor of several retrievers, including the golden retriever and Labrador retriever.

May 31 - Military working dogs, or MWDs, play a critical role and are crucial to the safety of service members. The military estimates that the average MWD saves between 150 and 200 lives over the course of their career.

Jun 01 - Dogs see in slow motion and are able to absorb information 25 percent faster than humans can.

Jun 02 - From 1928 to 1946, a German shepherd named Ace the Wonder Dog acted in several films. His first appearance was in the firlm Blind Alibi (1938).

Jun 03 - Saint Bernards were originally bred at the Great and Little Saint Bernard Pass, in the Italian-French Alps, for rescue purposes. The breed has become famous for their heroic acts of alpine rescue, not to mention for their enormous size and kind temperaments.

Jun 04 - The ancient Egyptian word for dog was "iwiw," referring to its bark.

Jun 05 - Saint Guinefort was a greyound with his own shrine in 13th-century France. Local villagers venerated him well into the 20th century.

Jun 06 - Large boarhounds resembling the Great Dane appear in ancient Greece, in frescoes from Tiryns dating back to the 14th-13th centuries BCE.

Jun 07 - The rottweiler is one of the oldest herding breeds, possibly dating back to the Roman Empire.

Jun 08 - House or apartment owner? The beagle and collie are the noisiest dogs, while the Akbash dog and the basenji are the quietest.*

*fact check: it always depends on the individual dog

Jun 09 - The poodle is originally from Germany, where it was known as the "Pudelhund." The word "pudel" is derived from the Low German verb meaning "to splash about," and the word "hund" means "hound" or "dog."

Jun 10 - One-third of dog owners phone their dogs or leave messages for them while they are away.

Jun 11 - Mick the Miller (1926-1939) was the first greyhound to run a 525-yd. (480-m) course in under 30 seconds.

Jun 12 - Petting dogs are gazing into their eye releases oxytocin (also known as the "love hormone" or "cuddle hormone") for both people and dogs.

Jun 13 - The Norwegian lundehund has six toes on each foot. Its name is a compound noun: "lunde" means "puffin" in Norwegian, and "hund" means dog. The breed was originally developed for the hunting of puffins and their eggs.

Jun 14 - In Northbrook, Illinois, it's illegal for a dog to bark for more than 15 minutes.

Jun 15 - Most dogs are capable of smelling a spoonful of sugar in two Olympic swimming pools' worth of water.

Jun 16 - A shih tzu, also known as the "Chrysanthemum Dog," is a toy dog breed that weighs 10 to 19 lb. (4.5 to 8.6kg) when fully grown. It is thought to have originated in Tibet and then developed in China.

Jun 17 - The Akita is a large breed of dog originating from the mountainous northern regionds of Japan. There are two separate varieties of Akita: a Japanese strain and an American strain.

Jun 18 - During the Middle Ages, Great Danes and mastiffs were outfitted in armor and spiked collars to enter a battle or to defend supply caravans.

Jun 19 - The Belgian Mlinois breed is used as a working dog for tasks including detection of odors such as explosives, accelerants (for arson investigations), and narcotics, as well as search-and-rescue missions.

Jun 20 - Since 2001, the Palm Dog Award has been given at the Cannes Film Festival for best canine actor.

Jun 21 - The Salish wool dog is an extinct dog breed from what is now Washington and British Columbia. Coast Salish peoples sheared the dogs' wool to weave blankets.

Jun 22 - The Saint Bernanrd is among the heaviest breeds of dog, weighing an average 140 to 220 lb. (63 to 99.8kg).

Jun 23 - As of 2016, it is mandatory to microchip dogs in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Jun 24 - The Siberian husky originated in northeastern Siberia, Russia. The original Siberian huskies were bred by the Chukchi people, whose hunter-gatherer culture relied on their help.

Jun 25 - Dogs can get jealous when they see their humans show affection towards someone else.

Jun 26 - The names of many individual ancient Egyptian dogs ahve been recorded. The names refer to color and character, such as Useless, Ebony, Good Herdsman, Reliable, and Brave One.

Jun 27 - Vizslas are a very high energy, gentle-manneered, loyal, caring, and highly affectionate breed. They quickly form close bonds with their owners, children, and even strangers. Often they are referred to as "velcro" dogs because of their loyalty and affection.

Jun 28 - In 1930, Walt Disney Productions introduced Pluto, a medium-sized short-haired dog with black ears, as the non-anthropomorphic pet of Mickey Mouse.

Jun 29 - Border collies can trace their lineage back to one dog, Old Hemp, born in 1892. Border collie probably originated along the Anglo-Scottish border. It is thought the word "collie" comes from the old Celtic word for "useful."

Jun 30 - For The Wizard of Oz (1939), Toto, played by a female brindle cairn terrier named Terry, earned US$125 per week of filming, equivalent to US$2,299.07 in 2020.

Jul 01 - Five breeds of dog are uniquely Canadian: the Canadian Inuit dog, the Larador retreiver, the Nova Scotia duck-tolling retriver, the Newfoundland dog, and the Tahltan bear dog.

Jul 02 - A group of pugs is called a grumble.

Jul 03 - The affenpinscher, a terrier-like toy breed of dog, is also known as the money terrier.

Jul 04 - During the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783), soldiers sometimes brought their dogs with them into battle.

Jul 05 - Shih tzus are one of the breeds of dog most closely related to wolves.

Jul 06 - Bad fruit: Small quantities of grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in some dogs.

Jul 07 - The American Kennel Club lists 23 accepted colors for Pomerarians including beaver, sable, chocolate, black, orange, and white, and a number of combinations of those colors.

Jul 08 - The saluki, also known as the Persian greyhound, is a dog originally bred in the Fertile Crescent. Its name is derived from the two ancient Sumerian words which mean "plunge-earth."

Jul 09 - The collective noun for a group of dogs may be a cry, a cowardice, a kennel, a mute, or a pack.

Jul 10 - In 1991, German countess Karlotta Liebenstein left approximately US$80 million to her Alsation dog, Gunther III. Gunther III has since passed, but the estate was bequeathed to Gunther IV, whose caretakers bought him a US$7 million mansion in Miami (once owned by Madonna) where he has free roam of the grounds and his own doggie playroom.

Jul 11 - Sant Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, is sometimes depicted with a dog's head, a misinterpretation of the Latin term "Cananeus" ("Canaanite") to read "canineus" ("dog").

Jul 12 - Welcome home! Scientists have found that their owners' smell activates the "reward center" of dogs' brains and the odor lingers like a perfume triggering an emotional response.

Jul 13 - In the Harry Potter saga, Fluffy is a giant three-headed dog based on Cerberus, the three-headed dog from Greek mythology that guards the gates of the underworld.

Jul 14 - In the 19th centure, New South Wales cattle farmer Thomas Hall crossed the dogs used by drovers in his parents' home country, Northumberland, with dingoes he had tamed. The resulting dogs were known as Hall's heelers.

Jul 15 - American photographer William Wegman is best known for his seris of photos featuring Weimaraners. In 1996, his dogs Battina, Crooky, Chundy, and Chip starred in segments of Sesame Street.

Jul 16 - The oldest known dog bones were found in Germany in 1914 and date as far back as 14,000 years ago.

Jul 17 - The dog on the Cracker Jack box is named Bingo.

Jul 18 - The Boerboel is a large breed from South Africa. Acording to the AKC, they're strong enough to win a fight with a leopard.

Jul 19 - The Pekingese breed is over 2,000 years old, one of the oldest.

Jul 20 - Plato said that "a dog has the soul of a philosopher."

Jul 21 - Cardigan Welsh corgies are said to originate from the Teckel family of dogs, which also produced dachsunds. They are claimed to be among the oldest of all herding breeds, existing in Wales since approximately 1200 BCE.

Jul 22 - African wild dogs, which are native to Weest and Central Africa, run up tree trunks while they are urinating to appear very large to their foes.

Jul 23 - The expression "the dog days of summer" comes from the ancient Greeks and Romans describing the hottest days of summer, which coincided with the rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. Siriusly.

Jul 24 - A dog's ear canal is L-shaped: certical toward the jaw, then taking a nearly 90 degree turn horizontally toward the ear drum.

Jul 25 - The best age to bring a puppy home is when it is between 8 and 12 weeks old.

Jul 26 - A dog's level of attention can be determined by watching their ears. Erect ears facing forward indicate that they're engaged, and slightly back ears signal that they're feeling friendly; ears laid tightly back against the head suggest a fearful or timid reaction.

Jul 27 - Some Russian stray dogs have figured out how to ride the subway in order to travel to areas with more food.

Jul 28 - A working dog is a type of dog that is not merely a pet, but also learns and performs tasks to assist its human companions, such as a guide dog.

Jul 29 - German shepherds used to be known as Alsatians in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Jul 30 - A 2015 study of African and Eurasian canids found that extant wolf-like canids colonized Africa from Eurasia at least five times throughout the Pliocene and Pleistocene areas.

Jul 31 - National Mutt Day is also celebrated on December 2 to double awareness of mixed breed dogs in shelters around the United States.

Aug 01 - Sorted by North Shore Animal League America, DOGust the 1st is the official birthday for rescues with unknown birthdays.

Kicked In The Butt GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Thanks 1

It's not uncommon that people find it hard to be disciplined in working out because they love the idea of physical activity more than actually engaging in it.

The initial feeling from exercising will quickly dissipate, and so if someone got the kick-start to begin with, they may lose motivation as their original motivation wears off. Camping for an entire day can be fun when you first start, but if a person doesn't bring provisions or basic necessities like food and water, eventually he or she will get too hungry and thirsty and give up on camping. The same thing happens during exercise: only those who are prepared for long periods of time take vigorous exercise measurements into account need to worry about this problem.

I'm not going to do a proper challenge this time 'round, it's not helpful for me right now.

Potential things to deal with in the next 6-8 weeks:

- fat loss push? ie. eat properly and move regularly
- weight lifting workouts, because strength is healthy

- train with new camera for work stuff

- keep doing the webinars that I've already signed up for

- tidy shit, my space is wildly cluttered right now - like, bad levels of pack rat piles

- think up a decent task to 'earn' binge watching on a few TV DVDs I splurged on

- going to SLEEP (not just bed) by 10:30

- walking more (the big dog is on leash-walks-only right now, so that should help both of us)

- actually do C25k with skip rope maybe?

I've been thinking about why I haven't stuck with many/any of my goals long term. Reading back literal years in this thread shows that I'm more or less exactly where I started. I think it's because while I understand the need for them intellectually, emotionally I don't really care about the outcome. I don't know how to change that, though I've read a ton of books with various ideas on the subject.

One of those ideas is basing your goals on your 'identity'. Which is to say: the person you want to be, or reflecting your fundamental values. I've been trying to list some of those out, but they're not really resonating with me. What does it mean when the things you're supposed to base your identity on don't matter to you? Other than wanting my family/friends to be safe/happy/successful, and wanting to avoid pain...

Spoiler

Oct 17 - The character of Chewbacca, from the Star Wars movies, was inspired by George Lucas' dog Indiana, an Alaskan malamute.
Oct 18 - Thirty percent of Dalmations have some degree of deafness.

Oct 19 - The largest breed of dog is the Irish wolfhound. Males measure up to 3 ft. (0,9 m) at the shoulder and weight up to 180 lb. (82 kg).

Oct 20 - Snowy, Tintin's dog (Milou in French), was partially inspired by a fox terrier in a cafe that creator Herge used to visit.

Oct 21 - The Fila Brasileiro dog, also known as the Brazilian mastiff, is named for the Portugese word "filar," which means "hold, arrest, grab."

Oct 22 - The poodle's notorious haircuts were originally designed to improve their swimming. The pom-poms were thought to warm their joints.

Oct 23 - Queen Elizabeth II has owned more than 30 Pembroke Welsh corgis during her reign.

Oct 24 - In South Korea in 1993, a seven-year-old female Jindo named Baekgu gained notoriety after being sold to a new owner in the city of Daejeon and escaping her new home, returning to her original owner, Park Bok-dan, after seven months.

• Like 2

1af226730b36339126f58fb900d79646.gif.80d1c1a188e431e11a57934ac6c91e14.gif

Seriously, how do I keep wasting time each week like this. I officially don't know what to do to get myself out of this rut. Trying to schedule decluttering hasn't worked, putting my phone in another room hasn't worked, I guess the next step would be to ignore my computer apart from 10min every hour to check on work stuff? GAH.

Spoiler

Oct 25 - A schnauzer is a dog breed that originated in Germany in the 15th and 16th centuries. The term comes from the German word for "snout" and is used colloquially to mean "mustache," because of the dog's distinctively bearded snout.

Oct 26 - Pompey, the dog of William the Silent, the Prince of Orange, thwarted an assassination attempt by barking and scratching to warn his master. A statue of William the Silent in The Hague features the pup by his side.

Oct 27 - Higgins, better known as Benji, is the highest-paid animal actor of all time, though he was snubbed by the Oscars year after year.

Oct 28 - In the Disney animated version of Cinderella (1950), Bruno is a crimson bloodhound dog turned into a human footman to take Cinderella to the ball.

Oct 29 - In Barber, North Carolina, fights between cats and dogs are prohibited by the law.

Oct 30 - Just Nuisance, a Great Dane, is the only dog to be officially enlisted in the British Royal Navy. He served at HMS Afrikander, a Royal Navy shore establishment in Simon's Town, South Africa, from 1939 to 1944.

Oct 31 - Ten percent of families make Howloween part of their Halloween tradition, dressing up their pets and giving them special treats!

Nov 1 - The Mexican hairless dog, also known as Xoloitzcuintli, gets its name from two words in the Aztec language: "Xolotl," the got of lighting and death, and "itzcuintli," or dog.

• Like 1

I'm checking in, not to document some accomplishment, but to record the passage of time and my complete lack of productivity therein.

Pain levels are worse than they have been since the initial accident, my digestion is terrible, I am feeling utterly unhappy with work, and I'm struggling to focus on pretty much anything (even hobbies/movies/easy stuff). On the plus side, I have excellent puppies. Trying to consider what might be good steps to take for 2022.

Spoiler

____________  ____________
Nov 02 - The Finnish laphund is a hardy, medium-sized breed of spitz-type dog traditionally known for herding reindeer. Although it is one of the most popular dog breeds in its native country, Finland, it is not very numerous outside of the Nordic countries.
Nov 03 - Vapor Wake dog training was developed at Auburn University's College of Veterinary Medicine in the 2000s, a process to breed and train Labradors that can detect faint whiffs of explosive particles in the thermal heat humans create while walking. 

Nov 04 - Portuguese water dogs have webbed toes.

Nov 05 - About 1.6 million dogs are adopted from American shelters every year.

Nob 06 - The Scottish SPCA and the University of Glasgow published a paper suggesting music affects dogs' behavior. The dogs in the study appeared to especially enjoy reggae.

Nov 07 - In 2012, Americans spent US$1.8 billion on dog food, four times as much as they spent on baby food in the same year.

Nov 08 - According to Box Office Mojo, dog films have accumulated over US$2.2 billion in ticket sales since 1974.

Nov 09 - Dogliness is next to g-dliness: Dogs are mentioned over 35 times in the Bible.

Nov 10 - Dogs have been used to detect invasive species like Argentine ants and quagga mussels.

Nov 11 - During World War I and World War II, dogs were able to assist the Canadian Armed Forces in their roles as sentry dogs, scout dogs, messenger dogs, and casualty dogs.

Nov 12 - Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property in Oklahoma.

Nov 13 - A dog's normal body temperature is between 101 and 102F (38.3-38.9C).

Nov 14 - Helen Keller is credited with bringing the first  Akitas to the United States.

Nov 15 - The Louisiana Catahoula leopard dog was originally bred to hunt wild boars.

Nov 16 - The Labrador retriever has been on the American Kennel Club's top 10 most popular breeds list for nearly 30 years, more than any other breed.

Nov 17 - Forty-five percent of American dogs sleep in their owner's bed.

Nov 18 - People who hunt with beagles are called "Beaglers."

Nov 19 - When dogs kick backward after doing their business, they're marking their territory using scent glands i ntheir feet.

Nov 20 - Growing up with dogs and cats may help lower a child's chances of becoming allergic to pets - up to 33 percent, according to a 2004 study in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

Nov 21 - Like humans, dogs have low wave and rapid eye movement stages of sleep.

Nov 22 - Dogs have three eyelids: an upper lid, a lower lid, and a third lid called the "nictitating membrane" or "haw" that protects and moistens the eye.

Nov 23 - Dogs hear best at 8,000hz, while humans hear best at 2,000hz.

Nov 24 - Bloodhounds can trace scents that are over 300 hours old.

Nov 25 - Happy Barksgiving! Turkey is a great source of protein for your dog; just remember to remove any bones, extra skin, and fat.

Nov 26 - Chow chows have blue-black or purple tongues.

Nov 27 - It is theorized that Carpathian shepherd dog breeds, originating from Romania, descend from dogs that were developed somewhere around 9,000 years ago in Mesopotamia.

Nov 28 - The Rhodesian ridgeback was originally bred to hunt lions.

Nov 29 - Kabosu, a female Shiba Inu owned by Japanese kindergarten teacher Atsuko Sato, is the dog featured in the "doge" meme.

Nov 30 - In the Catholic Church, Saint Roch is the patron saint of dogs.

Dec 01 - Native to Hungary, the komondor is a livestock guardian dog known for its trademark corded coat.

Dec 02 - The dog's moniker of "man's best friend" is believed to have come from Frederick the Great, King of Prussia (1740-1786), in reference to one of his Italian greyhounds.

Dec 03 - As of 2020, the wire fox terrier breed has won 15 times at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, more than any other breed.

Dec 04 - Michelango painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel with his Pomeranian by his side.

Dec 05 - The world's smallest service dog is Cupcake, a female Chihuahua who measures 6.25 in. (15.87 cm) tall. She lives with her owner in Moorestown, New Jersey.

Dec 06 - Adam Sandler's beloved English bulldog, Meatball, was the ring bearer during his wedding in 2003.

Dec 07 - Zeppo Marx of the Marx Brothers was one of the first people to introduce the Afghan hound to the United States.

Dec 08 - Despite its name, the miniature pinscher is not a miniature Doberman pinscher. It's more closely related to the Italian greyhound and dachsund.

Dec 09 - The record for longest tongue on a dog ever belongs to Brandy, a boxer, and measured an incredible 1 ft. 5 in. (43 cm ). She lived with her owner John Scheid in St. Clair Shores, USA, until September 2002.

Dec 10 - Sigmund Freud's female chow chow, Jofi, would sometimes join him during therapy sessions. Freud noticed that his patients would be more open and calm when she was present.

Dec 11 - Carrie Fisher's French bulldog, Gary Fisher, has a cameo in Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017). Thanks to CGI, he is barely recognizable as an alien pet.

Dec 12 - Bullseye, the official mascot of Target, is played by a female miniature bull terrier.

Dec 13 - Owney the terrier mix was the official mascot of the Railway Mail Service. During the 1890's, he traveled over 143,000 mi. (230,000 km) across the United States.

Dec 14 - Cartoon Great Dane Scooby-Doo was originally supposed to be a bongo-playing dog named "Too Much."

Dec 15 - The dog in Jan van Eyck's The Arnolfini Portrait (1434) is an early version of the Brussells griffon.

Dec 16 - Olivia, a female West Highland white terrier, is a canine actor who has appeared in Widows (2018), Game Night (2018), and Insatiable (2018-).

Dec 17 - According to a study from the University of Arizona, larger-brained dogs have better short-term memory and self-control than smaller dogs.

Dec 18 - Musicians Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed held a high-frequency "Music for Dogs" concert in Sydney, Australia, in 2010.

Dec 19 - Heart-kun is a Chihuahua from Odate, Japan, who was born with a brown heart-shaped marking on his white fur.

Dec 20 - A companion dog, the Havanese is the national dog of Cuba.

Dec 21 - The fluffy white Samoyed was originally bred to herd reindeer and haul sleds.

Dec 22 - The Jindo breed is one of the National Treasures of South Korea.

Dec 23 - Bummer and Lazarus were two stray dogs renowned for their friendship and rat-hunting prowess in 1860s San Francisco.

Dec 24 - Santa's Little Helper, the pet greyhound of the cartoon Simpson family on The Simpsons (1989-), appeared in the series' first episode, the Christmas special "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire."

Dec 25 - According to a 2015 poll on Rover.com, 95 percent of pet owners have bought Christmas gifts for their pets.

Dec 26 - Seventy percent of dog owners sign their dog's name on their holiday cards.

Dec 27 - Known for its lamb-like appearance, the Bedlington terrier is a great swimmer, rivaling the much larger Newfoundland.

Dec 28  - Seventy-six dogs produced the loudest recorded group bark on November 7, 2009, in Bentonville, Arkansas. The collective bark measured 124dB, which is about as loud as a chainsaw.

Dec 29 - Out of 15 puppies in Disney's One Hundred and One Dalmations (1961), only six have names: Freckles, Lucky, Patch, Penny, Pepper, and Rolly.

Dec 30 - Surf's up! The Loews Coronado Bay Resort Surf Dog Competition, the biggest dog surfing competition in the United States, has been held at Imperial  Beach in California since 2006 and raises funds for the San Diego Humane Society.

Dec 31 - Cheer! Florida-based retailer Pet Winery sells Dog Pawrignon, a "champagne" for dogs made with water and salmon oil.

• Like 2

This didn't work out the first time I tried. But until/unless I think of something better, I've gotta try, right?

I'm naming this year 'A Breath of Confidence' because I don't have any in myself anymore. I think the best way to help fix that will be to follow through on what I'd like to accomplish (well, maybe), and give myself better structure to feel competent in daily life and work. Starting out the year I'm going to try to post daily in a challenge, if only to help me track the passage of time (since I'm pretty bad at that on my own). Working on my say:do ratios here. With similar (if not the exact same) goals from 2 years ago staring at my face as a reminder of how I feel when I don't.

Defining's 2022 ABC's : A Breath of Confidence 

Mind your P's & Qs (Practicals and Quests)
- Professional: I have short-term and long-term goals & plans in place, and I feel that I have a direction to work towards
- Physical: I am improving my overall fitness and strength, and I am challenging myself to move outside my comfort zones - I have also walked to Mordor ;)
- Personal Space: I have decluttered my space & house; this is both for my own emotional benefit long-term, in addition to getting rid of 'stuff'
- Quotidian: I follow daily routines to add structure to my days; I also prioritise daily healthy habits for activity/nutrition/stress
- Quietude: I am working on my listening skills, and finding moments of gratitude and stillness every day
- Quicken: I am trying new things, but not allowing myself to become preoccupied with a search for a 'passion/purpose'

Q1: Jan-Mar
Professional: Reevalute career plans - maybe speak to a coach or counsellor about how to proceed? Make a decision
Physical: C25k, minimum 2x weight lifting a week - minimum 8km walking a day (can be part of the C25k training)
Personal Space: finish decluttering my room, office, and workout room; at least 4hrs/week
Quotidian: make 'wake-up' and 'go to bed' routines a priority; maintain 5:2, protein & veg intake, and possibly increase hydration
Quietude: add some yoga to my morning/evening routines again; experiment with breathwork
Quicken: join CreativeLive and commit to completing at least one 'course' each quarter; practice video/photography skills

Q2: Apr-Jun
Physical: walk at least 10km/day, 3x weight lifting a week integrating some endurance work
Personal Space: finish decluttering the upstairs (as permitted, family stuff might need to be handled separately); at least 5hrs/week
Quotidian: prioritise sufficient hydration, and maintaining existing habits; put together a weekly 'chore' list rather than just cleaning when absolutely necessary
Quietude: daily yoga practice; try meditation at least 3x a week
Quicken: continue CreativeLive; shoot & edit a short film

Q3: Jul-Sep
Physical: continue walking & workouts, and start trying for handstands & pull-ups
Personal Space: declutter the main level, including kitchen cupboards, wall unit, buffet, etc.; at least 6hrs/week
Quotidian: maintain everything up to this point; walk the dogs at the same times of day (work schedule permitting) because it might be warm out
Quietude: daily yoga; meditation 5x a week 
Quicken: continue CreativeLive; try at least one new recipe a week

Q4: Oct-Dec
Physical: continue walking & workouts (should reach Mordor by end of Oct?); try rock climbing at least 4x times
Personal Space: declutter at least half of the basement; at least 7hrs/week
Quotidian: maintain nutrition & gratitude journaling; experiment with setting daily/weekly checklists
Quietude: daily yoga & meditation
Quicken: continue CreativeLive; return to piano & singing practice (?)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Defining said:

I'm naming this year 'A Breath of Confidence' because I don't have any in myself anymore. I think the best way to help fix that will be to follow through on what I'd like to accomplish (well, maybe), and give myself better structure to feel competent in daily life and work. Starting out the year I'm going to try to post daily in a challenge, if only to help me track the passage of time (since I'm pretty bad at that on my own). Working on my say:do ratios here. With similar (if not the exact same) goals from 2 years ago staring at my face as a reminder of how I feel when I don't.

Feeling all of this!

5 hours ago, Defining said:

Quicken: continue CreativeLive; shoot & edit a short film

This is cool! Do you have any ideas for the film yet?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

LOL. Let's try something maybe easier - what type of films would you like to try making? :D 

I had to think about this. I'm not sure yet, but I think something like the intro to Wall-E, or the short Piper; something with a non-human protagonist that communicates with visual language instead of dialogue. I talk too much as it is, I think it'd be a good exercise to focus on non-verbal communication with a narrative bent.

• Like 2

I have rated my performance for this challenge as a 3/7. I'm mostly ok with that, I think it's accurate to my level of productivity from the last several years. 😂

No progress has been made on professional alternatives this challenge, but I have identified reasons and goals for some of my existing stumbling blocks. I think those will still be useful in my exploration moving forward, I'm just frustrated with myself that I'm stuck at that point.

Spoiler

Issues with current work:

- the biggest one: I feel like I cannot operate the way I want to, because of my professional association with (and reliance on) my mother 
- I do not like dealing with other people's emotional responses to logical situations

- I do not have routines or systems for work, or for getting more clients
- I do not feel like I am providing sufficient value to clients, and lack the confidence in my work and ability to market myself as a result

- I do not know what my competitive edge is (or how to develop one)

All but the first of these could be addressed with some intentional work. TBD if that's the best solution, since I've been looking at other options and coming up empty. That first point could potentially be augmented, but it is definitely a major complication.

Barriers for finding other work:

- don't have a degree

- don't have professional experience in other industries (since I'm not interested in getting back into hospitality)

- would not thrive in an environment that requires my physical presence on a daily basis

- don't have examples of other transferrable skills

There are definitely options to address all or most of these problems. Additional challenge: identifying an opportunity which would make that effort worth pursuing. 

Issues with ANY work that I will have to just cope with:

- relying on others to do their jobs properly in order to do my own

- dealing with people's personal drama

- feelings of inadequacy/imposter syndrome

- not caring about money, but not wanting to make major sacrifices in basic lifestyle if it's just to compromise on a different work option

- not knowing what, if anything, I would actually enjoy doing rather than simply tolerate doing

Lifestyle aspects that are  non-negotiable, at least at this point in my life:

- flexible hours

- no commute

- ability to walk dogs, do grocery shopping,  have coffee with friends, etc. in off-peak hours

- not needing to wear fancy clothes every day

Work compromises that I don't care about that could be a competitive asset:

- ok with not knowing when the next paycheck is coming in

- ok with not having a set schedule, and/or working evening/weekends

- ok with being self-directed
- ok with not having a prescribed way of getting the job done

- ok with working on my own

Some thoughts I've had on what I think I'd really LIKE to have in my work:

- I like to produce something tangible, but not getting caught in the monotony of reproduction

- I want to make things (or offer a service) for a fundamental reason, rather than more trivial 'luxury' stuff

- I like using checklists or flowcharts to streamline my own work 

- I like to remove pain points/redundancy/things that make stuff harder

- I don't want to have to rely on someone else doing their job in order to do mine

- I like to have a goal to accomplish every day

The next challenge is all about hardcore deep declutter mode. I feel stuck in my life and environment, and the latter is easier to change. Tidying in little pieces at a time hasn't worked, so I need to try a different approach. Enter Konmari attempt #1.1 (#1 was during the first challenge, and I chickened out). 

I think everything else, beyond maintenance stuff, will be second fiddle to that for a few weeks. So, eat properly (even if that just means protein shakes and supplements to meet requirements), move regularly, stay hydrated, and sleep enough. 

• Like 2

Springing out of the box because a few things resonated with me, hope you don't mind.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:58 AM, Defining said:

I'm just frustrated with myself that I'm stuck at that point.

That happens to me when being on the way, while setting high expectations for myself and getting tired with not seeing results. That also happens when what needs to be done is thinking and figuring out the path forward. Much of my thinking happens in the background and the next move forward can become apparent while discussing with someone else or reading something. What helps me is to keep in mind that progress often grows under the surface and only shows when it is ready to break the barrier and reach full light: spending a lot of time being stuck is part of my process to move forward. It's grim, but it works.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:58 AM, Defining said:
Spoiler

Work compromises that I don't care about that could be a competitive asset:

- ok with not knowing when the next paycheck is coming in

- ok with not having a set schedule, and/or working evening/weekends

- ok with being self-directed
- ok with not having a prescribed way of getting the job done

- ok with working on my own

Some thoughts I've had on what I think I'd really LIKE to have in my work:

- I like to produce something tangible, but not getting caught in the monotony of reproduction

- I want to make things (or offer a service) for a fundamental reason, rather than more trivial 'luxury' stuff

- I like using checklists or flowcharts to streamline my own work 

- I like to remove pain points/redundancy/things that make stuff harder

- I don't want to have to rely on someone else doing their job in order to do mine

- I like to have a goal to accomplish every day

Sounds to me like consulting could be an option, in whatever field you feel at ease with. You'd still have to deal with your clients drama but you are the expert there to solve their problems, a not-taking-bullshit attitude can be considered a plus.

Wishing you fullfillment in your endeavours, it may be slow to appear but chances are you'll meet it on the way, if it isn't there already.

• Like 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

11 hours ago, Jean said:

What helps me is to keep in mind that progress often grows under the surface and only shows when it is ready to break the barrier and reach full light: spending a lot of time being stuck is part of my process to move forward. It's grim, but it works.

Sounds to me like consulting could be an option, in whatever field you feel at ease with. You'd still have to deal with your clients drama but you are the expert there to solve their problems, a not-taking-bullshit attitude can be considered a plus.

That is a wonderfully optimistic perspective - I think, for myself, there hasn't been much progress even under the surface though. :P

Consulting sounds like loads of fun, except you need to be an expert in a subject in order to act as a consultant. At the moment, I can't claim any expertise.

• Like 1