• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Sandman's "Don't have to worry about Thanksgiving" challenge

Name: Sandman Steelhunter (random name generators rule)

Race: Half-Orc (one that hasn't seen battle in a while ;) )

In D&D you roll 3D6 to determine your characters abilities. I tried to determine where my current RL abilities would fit based on that.

Str: 8 (far and away the ability that needs the most work, IMO)

Dex: 12 (for being a big guy, I'm actually fairly quick on my feet and have surprisingly good reflexes. I may be overweight, but I'm far from inactive. I mountain bike in summer, snowboard in winter and splash around at the pool with the family year round)

Con: 14 (back in the day i could punish my body pretty hard at the gym and come back for more the next day. recent 'weekend warrior' activities have shown me that much of this constitution remains and continues to this day)

Int: 15 (I'm a pretty smart guy all around but no big brain, as it were, on any one thing)

Wis: 15 (While I'm not 'world travelled' i know enough to see through most of the bullshit)

Cha: 16 (I make friends easily, and hey, I managed to charm my wife into marrying me 8 awesome years ago - that's gotta count for something!)

Goal Class: Ranger

This class fits in with the image I've always had for myself, as well as the weight training methods I've used in the past. I'm not a paleo eater yet, but am seriously considering going that route.

RL Challenge Goals:

Current weight is ballpark 217lb and so my overriding goal this month is to lose 10lb of that over this challenge.

1) I've been really lax in the weight training department since, well.. my first kid was born 3 years ago. So I'm going to make this my #1 challenge goal - at least twice a week incorporate strength training into my daily routine. Be it bodyweight or weight lifting. At this point I can't list specific goal numbers because quite frankly I have no idea what my starting point will be.

2) Add an additional 2 days a week devoted to focusing on stretching and cardio. While my orc ass used to have a (very) physical job, my current career path has been led down a much more stationary, sedentary route. A lack of stretching has created a very non bendy character. Time to fix that!

3) Tracking what I intake. Last challenge my food goal was to cut out pop which I succeeded in completely. This time around I want to track all the other food that goes in. I know for a fact that I won't be able to maintain tracking calories, but if I can at least jot down what my stomach gets fed I'll be way ahead of the game.

Level Up Goal:

4) Repeat from last challenge: Finish my video editing project from my last mountain bike trip. It's been nagging at me ever since the trip (last August) and I've been putting it off in favour of anything less daunting (there's roughly 50 hours of footage to cull through)

Stalking Me:

This thread is your best bet to follow me. No twitter and a locked down FB make me a pretty boring person.

It's on! (Like Super Pong)

Nov 15, 2010

In which we strike out into the unknown

Breakfast - maple n brown sugar instant oatmeal

Snack - ~1 cup of fruit; pineapple, grapes. 1 gluten free muffin

Lunch - 2c homemade beef and barley soup. Yum

Snack - chicken breast sandwich - cheddar, miracle whip, whole wheat bread and a chicken breast

Dinner - asparagus, mushrooms, baby corn, shrimp in a sweet chili sauce over rice. approx 2c worth

Snack - 4 cheddar crispy minis, 3 slices of turkey deli meat, half a halloween sized bag of sun chips

Vitamins - yep

64oz H2O - yep

Hopefully Atari doesn't crack down on you now. :-P

With Nintendo going after the similar Donkey Kong phrase, I felt it prudent to pick something even more classic.. And hopefully old enough it's out of patent protection.. ;)

i like that you listed out all of your stats :) i thought about doing that, but i am far too lazy.

good luck with the challenge!

It was really quite easy, and I haven't RPG'd in years. When you think of 18 being the max for any one ability and imagining it as your goal, its not hard to find a number where you think you are. Think it's too low? That's what leveling up is for! :)

Today went well. I tracked every piece of food that went into my mouth. Don't know if I'll take the time to convert it into calories. I think for now getting a baseline of what I'm actually eating is good enough. I've never been much of a calorie tracker, instead preferring to measure my portions based on eyeballing. (Size of your palm, size of a balled fist, etc)

Kid #2 was up too many times last night for me to be rested enough for the gym in the morning, and ran out of time this evening to attempt a workout. Will get one tomorrow come hell or high water, though.

Off to bed.

Nov 16 2010

In Which Winter Arrives

Breakfast - access bar pre-gym, ham and cheese sandwich

Snack - skipped - wasn't hungry

Lunch - leftover dinner from last night - shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms, corn over rice. 2c

Snack - almonds - handful, ham and cheese sandwich

Dinner - leftover dinner from last night - shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms, corn over rice. 1c Caesar Salad. 1 bowl

Snack -

Coffee - 350ml - my coffee cup is a lab beaker so I know exactly how much coffee I've had (http://bit.ly/ctpyqw)

Vitamins - yep

64oz H2O - yep - before lunch, even!

Workout - 40 min aerobic/cardio. 3.73 miles ellip'd, 475+ cals burned

Woot gym! excellent job, man.

Love your abilities idea... that's fantastic. I'm a general-food-amount-eyer myself. I decided to measure everything this Challenge to be sure I'm exact in my totals, and it's driving me nuts!

Woot gym! excellent job, man.

Love your abilities idea... that's fantastic. I'm a general-food-amount-eyer myself. I decided to measure everything this Challenge to be sure I'm exact in my totals, and it's driving me nuts!

Abilities creation is a part of any RPG character's base creation tasks so I decided to get right into the theme of the challenge. I should add that the 18 I mentioned earlier isn't a lifetime max - just the max you can role for your 'initial' abilities score. Leveling up can and will push you well beyond 18.

re: calorie tracking - it's day two and driving you nuts already. This is why I chose NOT to go that route. I've done it too many times before and know that my attention deficit brain will quickly lose interest in being that specific. Part of the problem is that much of the foods I eat are not easily tracked.

Example: my ham and cheese sandwich this morning. I can get the cals for my bread and miracle whip easily enough, but how would I get the cals for the cheese and deli ham? The meat is sliced fresh for me at the deli counter, so there's no nutrition labels available for something like that. To look it up they're generally based on 'by the slice'. Well, what kind of slice? How thick? etc.. Same goes for the cheese. It becomes too much of a PITA to make the effort and I quickly lose the motivation to keep it up. I'd rather just maintain a decent portion size with a balanced mix of proteins, carbs and fats and enjoy the time I save doing something else thats more FUN.. ;)

I do a fair amount of estimating and approximating with my calories counting on items like deli meat. I can see how it would get tiresome. I have an app on my phone that allows me to enter food items and gives me a fair estimate, otherwise I'd be sunk. (Has a bar code reader too, which is nifty.)

I bought a scale *sigh*. I am now trying to weight everything, but times that I can't do that, I at least know what 3g of cheese looks like, so I can guess more accurately now.

Believe me, this isn't a lifetime thing. But a month of it will give me a very accurate look at what's what, and what I need to watch for.

Plus, it builds character. Impatient, twitchy character, but character nonetheless.

Have you checked out the Perfect Portions Nutrition Scale?

It's pretty cool - it contains a database for the nutritional info of over 2000 foods, and will give you the info calculated for the amount of food you put on the scale. Think Geek, the great depository for all things even remotely nerdish has it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/e608/

ThinkGeek is teh shizzle - it's also where I got my beaker mug i linked to above - but I always get destroyed by customs/duty when I order from there so I gave up.

They used to have a different digital scale that I would have rather had, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. This one is cool too, but you need to keep the list handy with all your food codes. If I can find this one, or the other one order-able in canada I'd definitely consider it.

That is a sweet scale indeed, but I already bought one! Recording everything on DailyBurn anyway, so don't really need it myself... Though the roommates could maybe benefit from it... I saw 2 of them eat a lasagna that was supposed to serve 6.

Though the roommates could maybe benefit from it... I saw 2 of them eat a lasagna that was supposed to serve 6.

Just the other day a friend was telling me she made an 8x8 casserole dish of...something... and her boyfriend looked at her and said "is that all you made for both of us?" I wonder what he thinks a 1 person portion is.

Have you checked out the Perfect Portions Nutrition Scale?

I myself have a scale that works, but was definitely taught me a lesson. That lesson being "never buy the cheapest anything; there's probably a reason it's cheap." I've been eying the model over at thinkgeek for when this crumby one dies. Good to hear some happy owners.

Nov 17 2010

In Which Cars Were Plugged In

Breakfast - access bar pre-gym, chicken wrap, glass of choc. milk (hope I don't regret that later)

Snack - bag of corn nuts, glass of choc milk

Lunch - Ham and cheese sandwich

Snack - Ham and cheese sandwich

Dinner - Chicken Breast, Veggies and a lil' dollop of garlic mashed potatoes

Snack - 5 cheddar crispy minis

Coffee - 1 cup

Vitamins - yep

64oz H2O - yep

Workout - 40 min stretching, bodyweight exercises; 10 min hard cardio

Bonus! - 30 min shovelling snow

glass of choc. milk (hope I don't regret that later)

If you're tempted to regret it just think about the smooth chocolaty goodness.

lol.. It's a different kind of regret I'm thinking of.. More like the lactose intolerance type of regret lol. I do find when I'm eating properly balanced meals and not punishing my digestive system with crap I can handle milk alot better than when I'm off the chain.. So far so good today, so I must be doing something right!

For some reason I actually remembered that you're lactose intolerant. Probably because we discussed chocolate milk in last month's challenge.

I have stomach problems when it come to pork. Once a year though I eat one of my great-aunt Hestia's BBQ pork sandwiches. Later as I'm doubled over with a stomach ache I just remember I delicious it is and that helps. Makes it worth it I guess. Other pork items, not so much.

It's good to know that cleaning up you diet helps with milk though. Might be the same for me and pork, but honestly there aren't enough pork items I like for me to take the time to find out.

It's good to know that cleaning up you diet helps with milk though. Might be the same for me and pork, but honestly there aren't enough pork items I like for me to take the time to find out.

Umm helloooo.. bacon!?!?!

Another great challenge day for me.. Got to the gym, busted out some bodyweight exercises, did some stretching and squeezed in a challenging 10 minute cardio blast too. Bonus points for getting another strength/cardio session this evening shovelling the driveway and walks of all the snow that has piled up over the past two days!

Tomorrow will be interesting as I have a conference to go to for part of the day, so it's totally going to mess up my entire morning routine. Hoping I can get up early enough to get in some at home exercises before heading out for the rest of my day. Also hoping that I can stick to a fairly regular schedule for eating or I'll be a hungry, cranky attendee...

Bonus points for getting another strength/cardio session this evening shovelling the driveway and walks of all the snow that has piled up over the past two days!

Got love the "workouts" from household chores. :-)

Sign in to follow this