Hello from Los Angeles

Hi Friends!

I'm not new to NerdFitness but it's honestly been awhile. I actually went back and checked my Epic Quests list and I surprisingly hit a few of my milestones. Anyways, I'm back because I'm not feeling my best. I need motivation and help getting fit again. I moved to LA a year ago and I've put on quite a bit of weight in that time. I blame it on all the amazing restaurants here...and postmates ;) Also my lack of exercise. I use to run but started a new job with crazy hours that gives me an excuse not to work out.

So, I hope to meet some of you all and get crackin' on my health and life goals again. Thanks for this space! I plan on doing the next 4 week challenge so will be setting that up in the meantime. Always down to chat with new people so if you need a friend hit me up!

Amy

• Like 2
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Jett said:

Hi there! I'm also in LA. :) One of the nice things about our city is that even if you work crazy hours, there are places that are open 24 hours. If safety is a concern for running at night, you could try using the treadmill at a 24-hour gym, or something along those lines!

What are you thinking for your first challenge goals?

24 hour gyms are a great idea! I did find a 24 hour fitness that I might try and sign up for next pay check. I haven't completely sorted out what I want my goals to be yet. I know I want to be working out consistently throughout the week. I'd also like to be eating 3 meals a day. Right now I survive on 1...sometimes 2. I signed up for a meal subscription service which starts on Monday so I'm hoping that will help too. Also, since you're from LA, know of any good hiking spots?  I'd love some suggestions from a local! I live on the edge of Culver City and found the Culver City stairs which were pretty cool. Hoping once the rain chills out to get out on the weekends and go hiking!

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, Guzzi said:

Welcome back! :)

Thank you! It feels great to be back!

On 2/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, AmyUncharted said:

I signed up for a meal subscription service which starts on Monday so I'm hoping that will help too.

That's a good idea! I used to hate having to come up with a menu every week and then try to find the ingredients for it. Now I also have a meal service, which does help a lot. If it's not a pre-prepared service (ie, everything cut up for you) sometimes it can help to take an evening twice a week and do the prep-work for the next 3 days or so all at once.

In your case, maybe picking a breakfast item of some sort and having it ready to go in the morning would help? For example, if you choose granola bars, then buy a big box so you can grab and go. Or if you're more looking for protein, making hard boiled eggs or egg&bacon mini-"muffins" on a weekend and keeping them in the fridge for the week is good. Basically, anything you can do to reduce the amount of effort between you and eating should help!

On 2/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, AmyUncharted said:

Also, since you're from LA, know of any good hiking spots?  I'd love some suggestions from a local! I live on the edge of Culver City and found the Culver City stairs which were pretty cool. Hoping once the rain chills out to get out on the weekends and go hiking!

I want to go on some more hikes, too! But unfortunately I have't really gotten to that point yet. My big "goal" hike for within the next few months is Hiking to the Hollywood Sign. I don't have any personal experience to suggest hikes, but check out the "Best Hikes in LA" part of that website, and you'll probably find some good stuff. :)

Give it a week or two, though... pretty sure it's dangerous right now with all the rain. :/ My part of LA (Whittier) is starting to see some sinkholes and downed trees from all the wet. So stay safe out there!

Welcome back! 
I'm up in NorCal (Bay Area) and I envy LA's Mexican food. 

I'm not a hardcore hiker, more of a nature walker who works with hardcore hikers. When we're down there for work we like Los Liones and Hahn State Park in Ladera Heights. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Instagram

"...You must always keep the star in your heart
shining strong to defeat the dark and evil souls." - Queen Serenity

Hey hey! I'm also a CA native, I'm in Moreno Valley, so LA is a distance from me. But like Jett mentioned, the best part about this is the convenience of various gyms all over the place to accomodate any lifestyle's crazy hours. I tend to focus on bodyweight exercises and just plain trying not to eat too crappily. Glad to see another CA nerd in here!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."