• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Adaptation is What Rangers do Best! Tanktimus Deals With a New Schedule

On 2/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There are positives to focus on with the changes, and so for my own wellbeing that's what I'm going to dwell on. Last week I was angry. This week I was disappointed and sad, which makes choosing to focus on the positives easier. I want to be a person who chooses to make the best out of things. The only thing over which I have complete control is how I choose to respond to my circumstances, and I will not let my circumstances defeat me. I am a servant of the most High God. I bring hope to the hopeless, love to the forsaken, I speak truth to lies and I shine light in the darkness. I choose not to sink into despair. I am not abandoned or forsaken, nor will I ever be. In addition to the creator of the universe, I am blessed with an incredible wife who has been so helpful. I am blessed with an incredible church that has enveloped and loved me through this. I also believe the Rebellion is a blessing from God, and I want to thank you all for your support.

You've already overcome a whole bunch of issues and emotions. We don't always understand the way ahead, and things don't necessarily go the way we want them to, but God has a plan, He is working on something, and He will make things work out for the best. It is in our difficult times that we find Him closest to us, isn't it?! Sometimes with work stuff you just have to do what you have to do, no other way, but there is a rainbow after the storm, just try to get through it, and we will be right here (figuratively) beside you. Still have you in my thoughts and prayers.

*hugs*

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Very good things to remember. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this though

Thanks.

17 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Situations like these is why we have spouses and friends. Sure, we love their company and we enjoy the good times, we appreciate their jokes and and we thrive on the mutual love and friendship we have for each other. But the real reason we spend all those positive times strengthening those relationships is so that, when life gives us that metaphorical kick in the teeth and we are in desperate need of support and/or reinforcements, they are there for us for no other reason than because we need them.

You are blessed indeed. :)

I really am. Sra. Tanque has made all this so much easier.

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You've already overcome a whole bunch of issues and emotions. We don't always understand the way ahead, and things don't necessarily go the way we want them to, but God has a plan, He is working on something, and He will make things work out for the best. It is in our difficult times that we find Him closest to us, isn't it?! Sometimes with work stuff you just have to do what you have to do, no other way, but there is a rainbow after the storm, just try to get through it, and we will be right here (figuratively) beside you. Still have you in my thoughts and prayers.

*hugs*

Thanks. I'm really curious what the rainbow is going to be, and not really focusing on it much. Most of my focus is on getting through this with integrity, dignity and grace.

• Like 5

I've started and deleted a couple of posts here...  The bottom line advice I have is this:  Take a deep breath.  Often these changes happen for reasons that will become apparent in the future.  I'm living that situation right now and I am enjoying the new opportunities that have presented themselves to me.  Sending hugs, positive vibes for the work and dreams of baby snuggles!  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Terra said:

I've started and deleted a couple of posts here...  The bottom line advice I have is this:  Take a deep breath.  Often these changes happen for reasons that will become apparent in the future.  I'm living that situation right now and I am enjoying the new opportunities that have presented themselves to me.  Sending hugs, positive vibes for the work and dreams of baby snuggles!  

Thanks. There have been positives. I think I've finally moved on to acceptance. It's happening, and I'll just roll with it.

We've gone from humid and cold to warm and dry (the high today is like 87). Lately that throws my asthma into fits. No attacks, but I've been short winded all day long (and I have been on top of it with meds). No workout, but I did cook. I chopped an onion, two yellow squash and a small eggplant. I'll tell you now, peel the eggplant. I didn't and wish I had. I sauteed that with some minced garlic for five minutes in avocado oil on medium-high heat. I put that into a greased baking dish (Glass, 9"x13"). I made a mixture of condensed cream of chicken soup with herbs cut with chicken broth (another alteration would be to use more condensed soup and not use broth). I poured half of it over the veggies, then laid out 8 chicken thighs. I covered the thighs with shredded cheese and the rest of the soup. I baked it at 350 for 45 minutes. It was good, though next time I'm making the above changes.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Most of my focus is on getting through this with integrity, dignity and grace.

You've got that down pat. Just look up and try to keep going. *hugs* to Sra Tanque and Tankette.

• Like 3

If you don't peel it, does it get soggy?  Or just tough to eat because of the skin? 

I had eggplant before I left Wilmington and was shocked at how good it was, I may try experimenting with cooking some in the springtime..........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You've got that down pat. Just look up and try to keep going. *hugs* to Sra Tanque and Tankette.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, shaar said:

If you don't peel it, does it get soggy?  Or just tough to eat because of the skin? 

I had eggplant before I left Wilmington and was shocked at how good it was, I may try experimenting with cooking some in the springtime..........

The flesh of the eggplant was fine, the skin was still tough. The dish was not as good as leftovers as it was when fresh out of the oven. I don't think it's going to be a regular.

Today is much better. Still no workout, but Sra. Tanque was home before I had to go to work and that made life much better :) 

I also cooked, something that went way better than yesterday.

In a skillet I sauteed in avocado oil some chopped fresh sage, chopped fresh parsley, chopped prosciutto, sun dried tomato halves in oil (drained), and a diced onion for five minutes, stirring regularly. I then added a pork tenderloin I had cut into strips (bite sized) and cooked for ten minutes, still stirring regularly. Toward the end of that I added salt and pepper. I then added 1/2 c of heavy cream and 1/2 c chicken broth. After stirring, I let it come to a boil, then turned the heat to low and covered it, letting it sit for 20 minutes. I also cooked some orzo to go with it. It was incredible, and a big hit.

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

In a skillet I sauteed in avocado oil some chopped fresh sage, chopped fresh parsley, chopped prosciutto, sun dried tomato halves in oil (drained), and a diced onion for five minutes, stirring regularly. I then added a pork tenderloin I had cut into strips (bite sized) and cooked for ten minutes, still stirring regularly. Toward the end of that I added salt and pepper. I then added 1/2 c of heavy cream and 1/2 c chicken broth. After stirring, I let it come to a boil, then turned the heat to low and covered it, letting it sit for 20 minutes.

This sounds absolutely incredible and I want to try it out now....

• Like 1

Brief addendum to my previous post, I actually had tenderloin in the fridge while reading that, but there were already plans in place for it, involving apples, cumin, cinnamon, honey, butter, roasted carrots, and lemon juice. It's currently in the oven. If it turns out well, I will share more details. :) 

EDIT to share this recipe

Scalyfreak modifications:

1. I have never in my life owned, or wanted to own, something called "apple pie spice". I used a blend of Chinese Five Spice and cinnamon instead.

2. Dumped a pile of carrot chunks on a baking sheet and put them in the oven right below the pork tenderloin.

3. Accidentally added way too much lemon juice to the apples. Covered it up with brown sugar and cinnamon. (Also, that makes a huuuge amount of apple sauce! Holy moly.)

This recipe has been bookmarked and will definitely make reappearances in the future.

• Like 5

As someone that has gone through a lot in general in the past few months, and also has been dealing with a less than lovely work situation I really understand both how important it is to look for the positive, and how difficult that can be sometimes.  Since the changes at my office I have felt that the last 3 years of my efforts were tossed in the trash and that no one is really looking out for my team in the way they should be.  I also now have no personal growth goals to focus on which is a big motivator for me.  We can say that I have been less than positive, so I started with "this is a paycheck that will let me do the things I want to do", and little by little I have gotten out of my tailspin.  I hope you continue to find the positive, and something good comes out of the changes for you.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I almost got eggplant parm at the Italian bistro I went to last night.  ALMOST.  I just.... still get visions of floppy tasteless masses. D:  (I got balsamic salmon instead.)

I'll be brave again, someday......

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 4:13 PM, scalyfreak said:

This sounds absolutely incredible and I want to try it out now....

It was really good.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, scalyfreak said:

Brief addendum to my previous post, I actually had tenderloin in the fridge while reading that, but there were already plans in place for it, involving apples, cumin, cinnamon, honey, butter, roasted carrots, and lemon juice. It's currently in the oven. If it turns out well, I will share more details. :) 

EDIT to share this recipe

Scalyfreak modifications:

1. I have never in my life owned, or wanted to own, something called "apple pie spice". I used a blend of Chinese Five Spice and cinnamon instead.

2. Dumped a pile of carrot chunks on a baking sheet and put them in the oven right below the pork tenderloin.

3. Accidentally added way too much lemon juice to the apples. Covered it up with brown sugar and cinnamon. (Also, that makes a huuuge amount of apple sauce! Holy moly.)

This recipe has been bookmarked and will definitely make reappearances in the future.

That looks really good too. Pork tenderloin is magic.

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hi Tank! Sorry about work shenanigans. Very excited for Tanklet. *hugs*

Thank you!

1 hour ago, TiffanyD said:

As someone that has gone through a lot in general in the past few months, and also has been dealing with a less than lovely work situation I really understand both how important it is to look for the positive, and how difficult that can be sometimes.  Since the changes at my office I have felt that the last 3 years of my efforts were tossed in the trash and that no one is really looking out for my team in the way they should be.  I also now have no personal growth goals to focus on which is a big motivator for me.  We can say that I have been less than positive, so I started with "this is a paycheck that will let me do the things I want to do", and little by little I have gotten out of my tailspin.  I hope you continue to find the positive, and something good comes out of the changes for you.

That can be really frustrating. As you say, choosing our mood is the only way to really survive those kinds of situations.

52 minutes ago, shaar said:

I almost got eggplant parm at the Italian bistro I went to last night.  ALMOST.  I just.... still get visions of floppy tasteless masses. D:  (I got balsamic salmon instead.)

Eggplant parm, properly done, is so crunchy with crust you get the flavor of eggplant without mush. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
3 hours ago, shaar said:

Eggplant parm, properly done, is so crunchy with crust you get the flavor of eggplant without mush. 

My problem with eggplant parmesan from a restaurant is that it is often the Italian Restaurant's nod to vegetarians and not something they really care about. Homemade, is another thing entirely.

I am glad to see that you are handling your disappointment with wisdom and dignity. We are all very proud to have you here with us.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I also cooked, something that went way better than yesterday.

In a skillet I sauteed in avocado oil some chopped fresh sage, chopped fresh parsley, chopped prosciutto, sun dried tomato halves in oil (drained), and a diced onion for five minutes, stirring regularly. I then added a pork tenderloin I had cut into strips (bite sized) and cooked for ten minutes, still stirring regularly. Toward the end of that I added salt and pepper. I then added 1/2 c of heavy cream and 1/2 c chicken broth. After stirring, I let it come to a boil, then turned the heat to low and covered it, letting it sit for 20 minutes. I also cooked some orzo to go with it. It was incredible, and a big hit.

My stomach growled when I read this... sounds delicious! 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry your work schedules aren't working out the way you want them to, and I'm so proud of you for trying to focus on the positives and not let the negatives pull you down for too long. (I say that because you've also been giving yourself space to feel the sadness, anger, grief, and so on - if you weren't I would encourage you to do so.  :) ) Work has such a significant impact on our overall well-being, so it's a big deal that the schedule isn't what you'd like it to be. 

I pray that both literal and metaphorical sunny days would return to the Tank household very soon. We all love you guys very much.  <3

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

My problem with eggplant parmesan

My problem with eggplant parm is that it's made from eggplant.  :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

My problem with eggplant parmesan from a restaurant is that it is often the Italian Restaurant's nod to vegetarians and not something they really care about. Homemade, is another thing entirely.

I am glad to see that you are handling your disappointment with wisdom and dignity. We are all very proud to have you here with us.

Thanks very much.

16 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

My stomach growled when I read this... sounds delicious! 

It really was.

12 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I'm so sorry your work schedules aren't working out the way you want them to, and I'm so proud of you for trying to focus on the positives and not let the negatives pull you down for too long. (I say that because you've also been giving yourself space to feel the sadness, anger, grief, and so on - if you weren't I would encourage you to do so.  :) ) Work has such a significant impact on our overall well-being, so it's a big deal that the schedule isn't what you'd like it to be. 

I pray that both literal and metaphorical sunny days would return to the Tank household very soon. We all love you guys very much.  <3

Things are getting better. Humanizing grandboss, trying to see things from his perspective and have compassion on him have helped a bunch. Praying for him instead of resenting him has worked wonders on my attitude.

11 hours ago, Rinna said:

My problem with eggplant parm is that it's made from eggplant.  :) 

• Like 3

I had tickets to see John Pinette!    The show was canceled due to health concerns and well, you know how that story ends.  :/    Uh, wow, way to jump in on a thread and bring some moop to it!

Getting around to catching up and just want to chime in with the others.    I cannot think of Tank without thinking integrity, dignity and grace.  In short, you're doing a fine job of striving toward those goals there.   I'm glad that you have the education, support and love of self (the good kind) to allow the process to ... well, process.   And I'm praying that God keeps you pulled so close through this, that you feel His arms around you.        A favorite quote I keep often when I struggle (and I can't even tell you who it comes from) is, "I don't know what He's doing.   But I know who He is."    

• Like 3

Hi dude, sorry to hear about the work issues. It's inspiring to see how you re-frame it, allow yourself to feel bad, and move on with a positive attitude. Equally so to see you humanising grandboss and praying for him instead of feeling angry at him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I had tickets to see John Pinette!    The show was canceled due to health concerns and well, you know how that story ends.  :/    Uh, wow, way to jump in on a thread and bring some moop to it!

Getting around to catching up and just want to chime in with the others.    I cannot think of Tank without thinking integrity, dignity and grace.  In short, you're doing a fine job of striving toward those goals there.   I'm glad that you have the education, support and love of self (the good kind) to allow the process to ... well, process.   And I'm praying that God keeps you pulled so close through this, that you feel His arms around you.        A favorite quote I keep often when I struggle (and I can't even tell you who it comes from) is, "I don't know what He's doing.   But I know who He is."    

Thank you for those kind words :) 

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Hi dude, sorry to hear about the work issues. It's inspiring to see how you re-frame it, allow yourself to feel bad, and move on with a positive attitude. Equally so to see you humanising grandboss and praying for him instead of feeling angry at him.

My anger was general, it wasn't directed much at him, but humanizing him helped me deal with that anger.

No workout today, but we did tour a birthing center and made a decision to have the baby there. They are really cool at that place, before they even showed us around, they asked if we wanted to try and hear the heartbeat with a doppler. Of course we said yes. This is what happened:

Hopefully I'll get a workout in tomorrow, it's been a while.

• Like 20

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Things are getting better. Humanizing grandboss, trying to see things from his perspective and have compassion on him have helped a bunch.

I am currently dealing with at situation at work that requires me to work through unexpected and unwanted changes with someone whose attitude I have been warned about but have not experienced yet. I need to do this... see things from this person's perspective, and remember that my role in this chaos is to help everyone adjust, regardless of how I feel about things. Thank you for reminding me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh my word, Tank! That is so special and sweet. *hugs* :love_heart: How are the grandparents? :d Must be out of their skins excited?!

Brought back a lot of memories too.

They are very excited. Not the first grandchild for either set, but still, new grandbaby!

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I am currently dealing with at situation at work that requires me to work through unexpected and unwanted changes with someone whose attitude I have been warned about but have not experienced yet. I need to do this... see things from this person's perspective, and remember that my role in this chaos is to help everyone adjust, regardless of how I feel about things. Thank you for reminding me.

You're welcome. I hope it works out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're welcome. I hope it works out.

Well, we could have had a better start than we did this morning, but I'm cautiously optimistic things will improve from here. :)

• Like 2