• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Adaptation is What Rangers do Best! Tanktimus Deals With a New Schedule

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

True, it really does. One of the more helpful developments is in how I view people who annoy me.

I work with someone who rambles on semi-incoherently. I've started telling myself that it's a speech impediment. It isn't any actual clinical speech impediment, but it's somehow led me to view that person with more patience. This is different than you describe, but only similar in that the other person didn't change at all, but my own attitude did.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Even when they are made out of Doritos?

We don't talk about Taco Bell except to mock it.

11 hours ago, Atrytone said:

I don't know how authentic the Mexican food is up here in the Great White North but I'm all about the soft-shelled corn tortilla tacos. Very tasty.

Tacos are awesome. 

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's great food for thought! Thank you. 

Hope it helps.

45 minutes ago, Xena said:

I work with someone who rambles on semi-incoherently. I've started telling myself that it's a speech impediment. It isn't any actual clinical speech impediment, but it's somehow led me to view that person with more patience. This is different than you describe, but only similar in that the other person didn't change at all, but my own attitude did.

That person might just want attention. 

Today is a good day. I did laundry, yoga and got groceries. We had our small group tonight and it was very good. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Xena said:

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That person might just want attention. 

Negative attention still counts, right? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Negative attention still counts, right? 

Yes, people who crave attention don't really care whether it's "good" or "bad" attention, they just want to be noticed. A therapist once told me that people who never shut up sometimes do so because they fear if they ever stop talking they'll never be heard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I work with someone who rambles on semi-incoherently.

I'm not sure if it's the same but I will regularly talk to myself out loud at work (and not at work lol), especially if it's a busy or hectic day - or I'm in a bad head space. Vocalizing what I'm doing or need to do next helps keep me focused since speech takes a lot more time than thoughts. But because I'm talking to myself I'll slip in and out of speech to thoughts and I tend to mumble it a lot. It's a little embarrassing and attention is the LAST thing I want when I'm doing it but it's incredibly helpful when things are stressful so I've kept the habit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We don't talk about Taco Bell except to mock it.

But it's the #1 ranked Mexican restaurant in the United States! Facts don't lie! :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, people who crave attention don't really care whether it's "good" or "bad" attention, they just want to be noticed. A therapist once told me that people who never shut up sometimes do so because they fear if they ever stop talking they'll never be heard.

...while failing to realize that if they stopped talking every now and then, they are a lot more likely to actually be listened to.

I work with people who ramble non-stop. I tune them out, wait for them to stop talking, and then ask, "so would you mind summarizing the reason for why this is a problem? Just so I'm clear on what excatly you're asking of me." I live in the futile hope that one day, one of them will eventually realize that is what they should have done to start with, instead of wasting 20 minutes of our mutual time with rambling.

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

But it's the #1 ranked Mexican restaurant in the United States! Facts don't lie! :P 

No, that is a statistic. And they always lie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Atrytone said:

I'm not sure if it's the same but I will regularly talk to myself out loud at work (and not at work lol), especially if it's a busy or hectic day - or I'm in a bad head space. Vocalizing what I'm doing or need to do next helps keep me focused since speech takes a lot more time than thoughts. But because I'm talking to myself I'll slip in and out of speech to thoughts and I tend to mumble it a lot. It's a little embarrassing and attention is the LAST thing I want when I'm doing it but it's incredibly helpful when things are stressful so I've kept the habit.

What you describe is absolutely not the same. I meant people who ramble in conversation. 

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I question the integrity of the survey, the neutrality of the questions, the veracity of the results, and the fashion choices of those who created the survey. 

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

...while failing to realize that if they stopped talking every now and then, they are a lot more likely to actually be listened to.

I work with people who ramble non-stop. I tune them out, wait for them to stop talking, and then ask, "so would you mind summarizing the reason for why this is a problem? Just so I'm clear on what excatly you're asking of me." I live in the futile hope that one day, one of them will eventually realize that is what they should have done to start with, instead of wasting 20 minutes of our mutual time with rambling.

No, that is a statistic. And they always lie.

It's worse when one is in a listening profession.

• Like 5

Today is a good day. I did police ministry, and got in a Kettelbell workout. I pushed hard and had to lie on the floor multiple times during the workout. I consider that a big win. An even bigger win is I kept going almost all the way to the end. I attempted the last set on the last round but didn't get a rep in (reverse lunges with the bell in the front rack position). I wanted the benefit of a full workout. I almost completed the first round with all reps without stopping. The only hitch was the reverse lunges, and that was due to still being a noob at lunges, not to engine troubles. The engine issues were apparent on the second and especially third round, but they didn't stop me, just slowed me down. I had a lot more rests, but again it was a great workout.

Dinner was another win.

I started with couscous, taking 1 c of couscous and setting it aside. I melted butter (1 tbsp) and cooked some sliced green onion (the white part), garlic, and dried cranberries for a bit. I then added a little more than 1 c chicken broth with some salt (not much because it was salted butter and the broth had salt) and turned the heat all the way up. When it was boiling, I added the couscous, stirred, covered it and removed it from the heat.

I then took some salmon that had been sitting on the counter for a bit with salt and pepper on it and added some bacon jam on top (not a lot). Y'all need this in your life.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/cookwell-amp-company-better-than-good-bacon-jam/1533203

I then set the salmon face down (the side that had the jam on it) in a pre-heated skillet that had avocado oil on it. I cooked it on all sides. When that was done I plated it and topped it with more bacon jam. In the same skillet I cooked some green beans.

Before serving the couscous I added the green parts of the green onion and more dried cranberries and stirred.

It was all incredible.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Image result for raise hand gif

I may have been part of that.  because I eat there every time I am in country.  I just can't help myself :D

Good job on the workout!

• Like 4

That workout sounds fantastic - and mmmmmmm bacon jam. Love bacon jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tried Taco Bell once in Manchester because it's one that hasn't properly made it over here yet and the Manchester one is the only one I have ever seen. I just assumed you guys did it better over there because it was a pretty sad meal tbh. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Damn fine job with the bells brother.

Thanks, I thought you might appreciate it.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Image result for raise hand gif

I may have been part of that.  because I eat there every time I am in country.  I just can't help myself :D

Good job on the workout!

You have a problem. We're here to help.

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Woot! Woot! Way to go.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

That workout sounds fantastic - and mmmmmmm bacon jam. Love bacon jam. emoji1786.pngemoji1786.pngemoji1786.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacon jam is soooooo good.

7 hours ago, deftona said:

I tried Taco Bell once in Manchester because it's one that hasn't properly made it over here yet and the Manchester one is the only one I have ever seen. I just assumed you guys did it better over there because it was a pretty sad meal tbh. 

It's pretty sad over here too. I suspect the food tastes better when drunk or under the influence of illicit substances.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's a feature ;) 

I have to agree.

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

YUM! 

Nice workout too :) 

Thanks!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's a frightening thought, considering how bad I think it is for me, when it's only a component of my job. Yuck.

• Like 1

So relatively speaking, how heavy are the kettlebells you use? I don't necessarily mean the numerical weight (although I'm curious about that too), but relative to your own size and weight. Are they so heavy they're hard to lift off the ground? Is it more the number of reps that's hard than the weight of the bells?

I'll be doing my first KB workout in 3 weeks this coming weekend (yikes), but I've been thinking about it a lot and wondering how other people are doing it.  :) 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

On 3/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, Atrytone said:

I really enjoyed the discussion of people who ramble on and on. This particular person doesn't really talk too much. It's just that when he does talk (in meetings) he's kind of wordy and not very clear. I think he thinks out loud and has a couple annoying speaking habits. It's easier to let it go (with a little effort) because there really is no bad intention behind it.

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today is a good day. I did police ministry, and got in a Kettelbell workout. I pushed hard and had to lie on the floor multiple times during the workout. I consider that a big win. An even bigger win is I kept going almost all the way to the end. I attempted the last set on the last round but didn't get a rep in (reverse lunges with the bell in the front rack position). I wanted the benefit of a full workout. I almost completed the first round with all reps without stopping. The only hitch was the reverse lunges, and that was due to still being a noob at lunges, not to engine troubles. The engine issues were apparent on the second and especially third round, but they didn't stop me, just slowed me down. I had a lot more rests, but again it was a great workout.

Love this! Though be careful to be safe.

• Like 1

@Skygirl - to give you an extra data point, when I started with kettlebells I used a 16kg bell for swings/ squats/ lunges ~20% of my weight. For overhead work and rows I used a 12 kg bell ~ 13% of my body weight.

IIRC, Strongfirst and the RKC suggest that an averagely fit woman start with a 12kg/ 25# bell for ballistics like swings and 8kg/ 18# for grinds like overhead presses. Based on what I’ve seen others do on NF, I would guess that’s a bit optimistic for most women, but I don’t have direct experience as a novice female Kettlebeller default_wink.png

KBs are more about reps and accumulating volume than low rep high strength work.

[mention=3096]elastigirl[/mention] would be a great resource for you.

There used to be a thread all about KBs, but I can’t find it with my phone.

Have fun with them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That's a frightening thought, considering how bad I think it is for me, when it's only a component of my job. Yuck.

Fortunately as a Hospital chaplain I have a lot of leeway about setting boundaries. When someone gets wordy I being a calculus/flowchart in my brain about whether the person is getting something off of their chest or if they are just rambling. If they start repeating themselves or keep going off on tangents it's usually an indicator to me they are just talking to hear themselves talk.

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

So relatively speaking, how heavy are the kettlebells you use? I don't necessarily mean the numerical weight (although I'm curious about that too), but relative to your own size and weight. Are they so heavy they're hard to lift off the ground? Is it more the number of reps that's hard than the weight of the bells?

I'll be doing my first KB workout in 3 weeks this coming weekend (yikes), but I've been thinking about it a lot and wondering how other people are doing it.  :) 

I use a 25 lb kettlebell for everything right now. I could up the weight on the halos and rows easily, but right now I don't want to worry about switching bells between sets. I do the workout at the substation, and there are only the 25 lb bell and a 35 pound one.

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I really enjoyed the discussion of people who ramble on and on. This particular person doesn't really talk too much. It's just that when he does talk (in meetings) he's kind of wordy and not very clear. I think he thinks out loud and has a couple annoying speaking habits. It's easier to let it go (with a little effort) because there really is no bad intention behind it.

Love this! Though be careful to be safe.

I will be. I'm very motivated not to puke, so i give myself enough rests.

29 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

@Skygirl - to give you an extra data point, when I started with kettlebells I used a 16kg bell for swings/ squats/ lunges ~20% of my weight. For overhead work and rows I used a 12 kg bell ~ 13% of my body weight.

IIRC, Strongfirst and the RKC suggest that an averagely fit woman start with a 12kg/ 25# bell for ballistics like swings and 8kg/ 18# for grinds like overhead presses. Based on what I’ve seen others do on NF, I would guess that’s a bit optimistic for most women, but I don’t have direct experience as a novice female Kettlebeller default_wink.png

KBs are more about reps and accumulating volume than low rep high strength work.

[mention=3096]elastigirl[/mention] would be a great resource for you.

There used to be a thread all about KBs, but I can’t find it with my phone.

Have fun with them.

I agree. The KB workouts are really stretching my engine, something my workouts historically have not done.

Today is a great day. No workout because this was one of the days I'm at far hospital (one hour drive one way), and we went to La Madeline for dinner. I was close to primal hunger, for sure hungry, so I got a full quiche lorraine, a Caesar salad, and a cup of tomato soup. I was barely past comfortably full, so I call that an intuitive eating win. I wasn't uncomfortably full at all, so I really needed it apparently. I also got a text today. Our pastor will be preaching at another church on Sunday (physically close to ours, his wife is preaching at our church that Sunday). He asked me and one other person to accompany him, because we are the two most encouraging people he knows. As you might imagine from my username, I took that as very high praise and a validation of many good things I believe about myself.

In other news, we got the results of genetic testing back, no abnormalities, and it's a girl! In light of that news, baby Tank is now, for the purposes of the forums, Tank Girl.

• Like 15

27 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

In other news, we got the results of genetic testing back, no abnormalities, and it's a girl! In light of that news, baby Tank is now, for the purposes of the forums, Tank Girl.

herHead.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Tank Girl.

All hail the warrior princess of the Rebellion!! To you this day we pledge our weapons and our fellowship; and may you grow up joyful and strong under the protection of our noble chaplain and his lovely lady, knowing how much you are loved already by dozens of mighty Rangers! 

tumblr_ogwqw6dmyg1s1rwswo2_500.gif  

• Like 9

On 3/6/2019 at 11:39 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Indeed..

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fortunately as a Hospital chaplain I have a lot of leeway about setting boundaries. When someone gets wordy I being a calculus/flowchart in my brain about whether the person is getting something off of their chest or if they are just rambling. If they start repeating themselves or keep going off on tangents it's usually an indicator to me they are just talking to hear themselves talk.

People also ramble and repeat themselves when they're trying to avoid a certain subject or working up the nerve to talk about something.

Always a relieve :) I haven't had a baby boy so I can't really compare, but baby girls are the best!

• Like 3