Longterm Goals/ Find The Fantastic Beasts-

fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-

Newt Scamandar needs the assistance of any wizards willing to help. He has ..a small difficulty.  It seems that his new apprentice accidently left some doors open, one thing led to another, and now all the Fantastic Beasts that were living in Newt's basement are roaming the streets of New York City. SInce this might upset some muggles, Newt has asked for wizards to be on the lookout for the beasts and help him collect them. See how many beasts you can find. 

I wanted to set up a 12 (13 counting zero week) goals in a fun way. Anyone interested in this group can set up a 12 week goal. We will  encourage one another, and help keep each other accountable . The premise is that each week you work on your goal, you get points. As you collect points, you find beasts that are worth a set amount of points. This isn't set up a win/ lose,  it's just the more points you earn the more beasts you collect. You can have several goals  if you want (I'd suggest no more than three). Each goal scores points separately.

tagging some people who said they might be interested @KB Girl @Suzaqu @Mad Hatter

Basic guidelines and set- up:

Before the challenge:

Write out your 12 Week Goal-Write it specific, and measurable

Decide what you need to do each week in order to reach that goal- Pick one priority action item to work on each week ( I will practice handstands 10 minutes a day, I will complete  three drawings a week

During the challenge:

Check in and say how you did ( do this even if it didn’t go as well as you’d like. Remember it’s not perfection, it’s improving)

Give yourself a percentage score based on how much of your priority task you accomplished

State what you priority task is for the upcoming week

Here is the link to  the spreadsheet to record your progress. If you have more than one goal, you will need to write your name down separately for each goal. So, if you have three goals, you will  have a separate line to record each goal. See Mr. Example for the examples. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uEtJRfNBYFgcNZFfeKiE71OjJvB4ohgDs8MLBj3NiA0/edit#gid=1196074929

Before the challenge:

Write out goal statement:                                           5 points

Write priority actions                                                   5 points

Weekly :

Check in                                                                           5 points (even if all you say is I did nothing)

80% or more of your priority action completed         5 points

Write priority action for next week                              5 points

Improvement over last week’s score                          3 points

After the challenge:

We will talk about what our successes were, and what we learned

End date : May 4th 

Next post will show some of the cool beasts you can win (I'll reveal more as we get further along)

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Fantastic Beasts Points

he Fantastic Beasts

Billywig      5 pts

Erumpent   10 points

Demiguise 30

Graphorn   40

Niffler        60

Bowtruckle 80

Zouwu         100

Murtlap   110

Fwooper 130

Moon Calves  150

Nundu        170

Thunderbird  180

Swooping Evil   200

Occamy           220

Phoenix 240

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I will start. I am going to start this week, because I am super pumped. But , it's fine if you want to take zero week to think through your goals. You will still have 12 weeks to finish your goal and collect all the beasts .

Goal 1: By the End of April I will have cleaned all these things Konmari style (discarding all items that don't bring joy) and will have organized the items I decide to keep. The areas I will have completed are; Clothes. paper, books, office, garage

Goal 2: Finish the California Scrapbook

Weekly priority actions

Goal 1 ; Set aside at least 2 hours on Monday to clean. By the end of the week I will have discarded all the clothes that don't bring me joy,, and folded both mine and Mr. Incredible's clothes Konmari style

Goal 2: I will have organized the layout for my scrapbook.

• Like 4

I want, too! Can I join?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c57e9f74d76537751

Just have to think well about my goal :D there are so many and if I chase them all, I'll probably catch none of them...

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ha I love it and just rewatched the first Fantastic Beasts this weekend! If that's not a sign to participate... :) 

But I don't have a clue what my project should be yet! Hmmm....

After I thought of the beast idea, I went downstairs and hubby said the Fantastic Beasts was on the movie channel and he recorded it. Now I have to watch again for inspiration. I sort of started early because I wanted to do it while I had the momentum, you'll have plenty of time if you think about it and start  next week

9 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I want, too! Can I join?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c57e9f74d76537751

Just have to think well about my goal :D there are so many and if I chase them all, I'll probably catch none of them...

I'd love to have you join! That's always my dilemma 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ha I love it and just rewatched the first Fantastic Beasts this weekend! If that's not a sign to participate... :) 

But I don't have a clue what my project should be yet! Hmmm....

Crazy! I watched it this weekend too and I almost never watch anything. 

So yes, I'm in! I'll have to think of what I want to focus on for 12 weeks. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Oh cool! I love the structure! And now I have to rewatch the movie too! 

I'm still working on the details of my goal, but I know I want to overhaul my productivity system/process. And/or I also need to make my wedding scrapbook (yes, my wedding was 4.5 years ago :)) and/or I want to work on mobility. So yeah, I need to narrow it down.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Crazy! I watched it this weekend too and I almost never watch anything. 

So yes, I'm in! I'll have to think of what I want to focus on for 12 weeks. 

Total sign that you need to do the challenge:smile-new:

42 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

Oh cool! I love the structure! And now I have to rewatch the movie too! 

I'm still working on the details of my goal, but I know I want to overhaul my productivity system/process. And/or I also need to make my wedding scrapbook (yes, my wedding was 4.5 years ago :)) and/or I want to work on mobility. So yeah, I need to narrow it down.

No judgement here, I still need to scrapbook some of my son's grade school pictures (he's 27:redface-new:)  Glad you are joining

• Like 1

Not sure what I want to do exactly... but I'm thinking maybe a project to promote our workshops and courses through posting useful/thoughtful things about training. Or something else that has to do with sales, I could really do with some new personal training clients too.. 

And/or I also would love to sort through years of photos. 

12 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Maybe you could try a bullet journal? I've kept one since december and I'm loving it so much! Plus I discover new things/ways to use it all the time. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Not sure what I want to do exactly... but I'm thinking maybe a project to promote our workshops and courses through posting useful/thoughtful things about training. Or something else that has to do with sales, I could really do with some new personal training clients too.. 

And/or I also would love to sort through years of photos. 

Since when you came back to NF you said one of your big goals was to promote kettlebells in your area, I think choosing something that is going to promote your club/ sport might be what fits your biggest passion

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Maybe you could try a bullet journal? I've kept one since december and I'm loving it so much! Plus I discover new things/ways to use it all the time. 

I've gotten that suggestion a couple times when I've mentioned project management, so I think i'll try it out! Have you read the book on it? I haven't read it, but was told it might help. I'm a bit intimidated trying to figure out how to start. I tried once, but I think I didn't put enough effort/time in to give it a good chance. I'm also unclear how to use it to track things I need to do in a week/2 weeks, the task list process seemed short-termed to me (clearly I need to do more studying on the process).

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm IN 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaM34odPrlKSn2Uh-UuPj

err... I mean I still have to come up with a goal. but I'm interested.  12 weeks goes until the absolutely PEAK of my hiking.

and I am very, very motivated about that.

When does the First Week begin?

February 11th A hiking related goal would be awesome. I'm super excited for you as you attempt that huge hike again ( I forget the name)

4 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

I've gotten that suggestion a couple times when I've mentioned project management, so I think i'll try it out! Have you read the book on it? I haven't read it, but was told it might help. I'm a bit intimidated trying to figure out how to start. I tried once, but I think I didn't put enough effort/time in to give it a good chance. I'm also unclear how to use it to track things I need to do in a week/2 weeks, the task list process seemed short-termed to me (clearly I need to do more studying on the process).

I read the book The 12 Week Year by Brian Moran and found it super helpful in  how to do some more long range planning

• Like 4

Oooooh, I like the structure with length/measurable goals/points - can I lurk for a bit? Wouldn't have a clue what to do for my goal, my brain has been so scattered lately that I'm not sure where to even start. Will think on it though, maybe something will come up!

tenor (1).gif

• Like 3

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Here I goooo.....

By 12 weeks:

Paint corners by April 25th
Visit 2 colleges for teenfabulous by April 25th
Steady & focused on my LC woe & workouts (4x per wk)
4x per week violin practice
1 size down by April 25th (trip to Nashville)

This Week Zero & will continue these goals on start date whenever that is:
4 violin practices
Begin Intermittent fasting (14hr eating window to start) NOTHING after 8pm! 
Paint stands before Sat. gig
3-4 workouts (30min)
Watch Fantastic Beasts before Friday :)

Very doable I think. 
Thanks for this fun challenge :) Perfect aim for my trip to Nashville in April..I really need this! 

Nerd On Folks! 
-BOT  "BackOnTrack"
  • Like 4

93b47df96efbba023ecf8df9325aa550.jpg

the "Alleghany 100" Hiking challenge

yes. so, its a good idea to have a long term challenge to get ready for this exceptional hard hike.   Last year, I didn't Make it!  so this years effort needs to happen Earlier, more seriously, and with more emphasis placed on what failed.  I don't spend time recaping what happened.  you can read it in a past challenge if you are very curious. but I do want to work on those failure points and find a relatively simple way to gamify training myself for them.

they are; 

The ability to walk up steep terrain   this isn't the mountains... but it isn't the flats either!  Instead the trail is Always going up and down and over the long mileage the elevation gain becomes considerable. No. Seriously!  like 20 000'.   you legs simply Must take the hills and in the end going Down is often no easier than going up. 

The ability to set a relatively efficient pace  Now Hiking is properly known as a place where the pace is kept slow..  This  is correct in the perspective of ALL other walking; as Hiking tests one's ability to go a very LOng ways during many hours.   you can't rush any part of your long walk without fatigueing your body and reducing its stamina!  On the other hand;  when it comes to the 100 miler; you'll note that you have to (in whole) adopt a 2mph pace during the WHOLE challenge.   This COUNTS all sleep, eats, and breaks.  you'll also note that its inevitable to slow down (anybody), as you get towards the end of the challenge.  almost nobody can be perfectly conditioned for a walk of That size; so anybody  is going to start surferring later on and that will take a toll on your pace.

so the reality is... is your normal hiking pace is Too slow!  you can just get an impossible situation towards the end; with running out of time and suffering and slowing down.   Instead; I Need to pick up my Hiking pace in Training to build strength; so that a faster pace is not (for the body) a hard one.

The ability to Wear a pack   this is a somewhat controversial idea.  technically you Cannot take a lot of weight! and still put out the mileage required.   but even going Ultralight; the fact that THIS is a 2 day UNSUPPORTED hiking trip, means that you've got to take some weight!  food!  Sleep! and shelter are all quite neccesary.   This happens in Early June and During early june we often wet and cool weather.   That means Raingear and some kind of warm clothing isn't really all that optional either.  I figure a 10# pack is the minimum and assumes very light gear.  

Last year the pack Hurt my back and led to some critically bad decisions during the second day.  so we NEED to train for Heavier so it doesn't hold me back.

The ability to handle bad Weather (espacially rain)  now we come to maybe the most critical ability of the four.  the ability to handle Rain is EXACTLY what ruined my last years walk. and in training (last year), I Definitely made the Wrong decision to skip 'unpleasant' weather to train in.  Instead bad, wet spring weather is a great opportunity to fix the issues I am having; espacially in terms of gear.

THESE are the List of four issues that I feel it is Critical to focus on!  they were all problems last year.  They are All things to work on; but one wonders exactly HOW to do it.

Because in truth, you really HAVE to add a fifth element, to make it relevant for this hiking challenge...

That fifth element is Length!   its NOT enough just to be able to handle rain for a 30 minutes or walk a faster pace for an hour.  the Hiking Challenge will mean putting all four together During a really LONG walk.   and it will be the length of it that makes each of those elements so hard to Bear.  This Last element is SO important that it can't be excluded from this challenge and Must also be part of the gamified challenge.

-------------------------

so now lets talk of Exactly HOW the game will be set up.  clearly Elastigirl has set up the points and gamified the narrative of finding magical and illusive fantastic Beasts (presumably in mid 20th century New York City).   Clearly Hiking works well with this idea, and we could say that only some pretty epic hiking efforts will yeild those wiley magical creatures.

If I can find them; I guess they would be Good luck in my hiking challenge!? right?:

the four kinds of hikes can become a fifth kind with sufficient length.  But How do we know What kind of Hike it is?  whether it is a magical one or just a more ordinary kind of Hike??  Well, we have lots of examples of more ordinary kinds of walks and specifically we have the major characteristic; speed.  We know that if we do a normal walk , in normal weather, with little to no weight its not magical.   we know that if we do a steeper walk; speeds normally declines.

so this is the characteristic of a Magical hike;

if we do a Hike with a given amount of elevation and 

we are FASTER than expected.  this is the characteristic of a Fast Magical Creature hunting

if the hike is steep and we do it unexpectantly fast- this is the characteristic of Flying Magical creature hunting

... if we do it at a normal pace despite bad weather - this is the characteristic of Swampish Magical creature hunting (or its rare alternative; alpine creature hunting)

Lastly, if we do it at a normal pace despite heavy burdens -this is the characteristic of a Strong Magical creature hunting

Lastly and Most prized or those class of animals of Exceptional magical Quality that can only be obtained though Long efforts.   We will note those kinds of hikes as particularly prized.   I would say that creatures of this quality is unlikely to be found in anything less than 6hours of creature hunting....

and Thats it!  

I think I can do that!  I will need to spend some effort trying to pin down what my base speed is for most places.   But once done I think I can reduce that down to a spreadsheet calculation kept along with my other exercise calculations.  the Only other thing to say is that weekly calculations will be kept  and Posted Each week  starting in Week 17.  thats February 8.  a few days before Elastigirl's date (I know).  but my dating system is too logical and tied into my long walk to discard.  I will start a tiny bit earlier and be done a little later.

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

The Math is Done!

ok, lets SEE if I can make this explanation simple as Excell sheet is all but written.

The purpose of my challenge is to Hike and search for magical creatures.  An exceptional hike shall have the possibility of finding up to four magical creatures...

Fast, flying, swamp, and strong magical creatures shall be found if my hikes offer exceptional speed, elevation gain, rain or heavy backpacking weight.

I will weekly let you all know how many creatures I find a week.   and I will collect gain points NEARLY as elastigirl has said (on the first page of the challenge).

I don't have though priority actions, though.

Zero week; and I have already written goals and programmed my excel sheet to convert hikes to Magical creatures. 10 points

Each week:

* check is worth 5 points

* five points if ALL of the following happens (one magical hike per week/ 5 total points / 2 magical creatures found each week).  5 points or nothing

*3 kinds of creatures in 2 back to back weeks = 3 points.  4 kinds of creatures in 2 back to back weeks= 5 points.

*more points in one week than the previous week = 3 points.

and all points accumulated for a magical creature at the end of the challenge.

... Just for fun I will share my biggest creature as I find them!

---------

FOR Example. I just had a HIKE.

being Long, at a normal pace, and with some steep hills.  I found 2 creatures.

a size 7 Flying creature; a size 3 fast creature.   a size 7 flying creature is Large.  think dog sized.

ha! its all very exact.

I am willing to write the spreadsheet if @Elastigirl wants me to...

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

2 hours ago, TGP said:

The Math is Done!

ok, lets SEE if I can make this explanation simple as Excell sheet is all but written.

The purpose of my challenge is to Hike and search for magical creatures.  An exceptional hike shall have the possibility of finding up to four magical creatures...

Fast, flying, swamp, and strong magical creatures shall be found if my hikes offer exceptional speed, elevation gain, rain or heavy backpacking weight.

I will weekly let you all know how many creatures I find a week.   and I will collect gain points NEARLY as elastigirl has said (on the first page of the challenge).

I don't have though priority actions, though.

Zero week; and I have already written goals and programmed my excel sheet to convert hikes to Magical creatures. 10 points

Each week:

* check is worth 5 points

* five points if ALL of the following happens (one magical hike per week/ 5 total points / 2 magical creatures found each week).  5 points or nothing

*3 kinds of creatures in 2 back to back weeks = 3 points.  4 kinds of creatures in 2 back to back weeks= 5 points.

*more points in one week than the previous week = 3 points.

and all points accumulated for a magical creature at the end of the challenge.

... Just for fun I will share my biggest creature as I find them!

---------

FOR Example. I just had a HIKE.

being Long, at a normal pace, and with some steep hills.  I found 2 creatures.

a size 7 Flying creature; a size 3 fast creature.   a size 7 flying creature is Large.  think dog sized.

ha! its all very exact.

I am willing to write the spreadsheet if @Elastigirl wants me to...

I am not really sure how to fit this into my point system. My idea was more  that  I had certain beasts picked out for each point level you reached. .Your points match, but I don't see how the different types match my point system.  That said,  I don't have a problem with you  just doing it this way, and you can just reward yourself the  magical creatures, and do this system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, "BOT" - BackOnTrack said:

I made it to 3 so far!

3 days in a row lowcarb

3 days in a row workout

3 days in a row violin practice  

1st check in

weeeeeee :)

still no intermittent fast, working up to it I guess

I will NOT eat past 8 tonight :) 

0c13544d534bd9abee7b591f55b60978.jpg

Woot! Great start!

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

it Fits.

I'll write a spreadsheet shortly.  so simple Anybody and Everybody can use it.

Congrats, @"BOT" - BackOnTrack

Woot!!

perfect. thanks

• Like 1

This sounds great, count me in!

1c20c9991e4e6a4a968c40ad386c3f65.gif

I have two long term goals, one is moving out and the other is losing weight. Now, the latter I won't achieve in just 3 months.

The outcome of the first one is easily measurable obviously but I'm not saying I will have moved out in three months, my goal is to having signed a lease by then. For the second goal I will not set a certain number I have to achieve and rather build healthy habits slowly to get a head start for less stressful times after the exams and moving.

Goal 1 - Moving

Before I can even start looking for a new place I have some other things to do that are not always in my hands like I have to apply for a semester off and only once I got that I can apply for financing, then I have to ask about the possibilities regarding support for people like me, only then I know what to look for and can start my search.

During slow weeks I will make a budget, make lists of things I will need when moving out, figure out what I already have and what I still need to get, the costs of that, etc., and I will declutter, get rid of things I don't need anymore so I won't be carrying that over. I know those are not consistent actions but I figured this is a great way to work towards a goal I would very much like to achieve in 3 months and it's a great way to make it easier.

For week 1 I will simply make the payments to uni (since the fees are different if you take a semester off) and make a doctor's appointment to get a note for the application.

Goal 2 - Losing Fat

This one boils down to healthy eating and regular exercise, basically having a much healthier lifestyle than I am leading at the moment.

During week 1 I will track all my intake, that's it. Just seeing where exactly I stand with my regular eating at the moment and then I will build on that.

• Like 2