No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Goes Backwards

On 2/7/2019 at 11:50 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That shoulder lever tho...

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice shoulder lever yo!

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That shoulder lever, great photo! And sounds like a great day too :)

Thanks guys  :)  I wanted to get one down to parallel but I am not strong enough yet to keep straight when I lower it down.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:53 PM, scalyfreak said:

I'm only here for the food. :D

I should have taken some more food pictures...  :D

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

I know it's silly, but I just can't stop looking at this gif, lol

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Me too. :D

I have to admit, I spent about 5 minutes staring at that GIF when I found it :D

13 hours ago, raptron said:

What a fun and active day. :D 

It was fun  :)

12 hours ago, @mu said:

:surprise: Pretty!

How to spot an Assassin on holiday :lol:

Not very sneaky, is it.  

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:
13 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Makin' those backwards leaps of faith like

SmallConcernedLemur-size_restricted.gif

I keep rewatching and rewatching and expect the cart to move out of the way

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Next loop might be the one.

giphy.gif

I keep watching it too, bus I'm trying to figure out if he jumped off the building to avoid that helicopter or if it was just there to film him so he could put that sick flip on youtube

Not a whole lot to update from Yesterday.  We went to the movies and watched a double feature (a funny movie about rally racing and the the latest disappointment from Jacky Chan).  After that we went to a Dongbei (northeast China) style restaurant but I didn't take any pictures :(

In the evening Ghosted and I went to pick up a rental car for today's trip.

I got up early this morning to get a workout it.  I was scheduled for a push workout, but that wouldn't give me any points for the Assassin mini, so I threw in a bunch of pull and core stuff too.

After that we hopped in the car and drove out to Qionghai, on the northeast side of the island to visit with Ghostess's aunt.

• Like 7

Moar pictures, Whiteghost! Give the people what they want! 

(I also love the written updates too so don't stop with that either :) )

• Like 3

20 hours ago, deftona said:

Moar pictures, Whiteghost! Give the people what they want! 

(I also love the written updates too so don't stop with that either :) )

OK, well if that's what the people demand...  ;)

Yesterday was kind of of a long day with lots of driving.  We left for Qionghai a around 9am and got there just before noon.  As if the Chinese tradition, before going to lunch the host busted out a tons of snacks and fruit and we were expected to munch on those as we chatted.  There was a giant tin of Danish butter cookies and I couldn't help but keep stuffing my face with them the entire time.  I don't know if the mango I ate with them helped or just made things worse.  After the snackfest we headed over to a nearby restaurant for lunch.  We had a lot for lunch, after which I was feeling quite stuffed.

That is (from the top going clockwise) Braised tofu, onion pastries, braised eggplant, steamed shrimp, beef & pork kebabs, vinegar cucumbers, garlic duck, braised fish, fried short ribs, and squid kebabs.

The shrimp were really weird, they had these big giant pincers which I have never seen before

After lunch we headed back to the aunt's house and my in-laws chatted with her while the rest of us watched TV.  We headed out around 5 so that we wouldn't be too late getting in.  We got back around 8 and decided to have Pizza Hut for dinner.  I had roast beef, soup and a salad, because what else would you eat at Pizza Hut?

After dinner Ghosted and I returned the rental car and then joined the rest of the crew to play a few hands of Uno before bed.

There is an interesting story behind this visit.  The aunt is living there by herself to keep it from getting taken over.  Apparently her kid got divorced and as part of the agreement, the Hainan apartment went to them. However, the ex still had keys and was using it as a vacation home. In order for it to get completely taken over, the aunt has moved down here full time to keep the ex from using it.  I asked why they don't just change the locks but apparently it is complicated in a way that is beyond my comprehension.  When her husband retires next year he will move down here to be with her.

I didn't work out this morning for no good reason and then had a bunch more Danish cookies (leftover from the day before) for breakfast.

• Like 10

How am I doing challenge wise?

Food Fight - Getting beat like a red headed step child

Move your body - doing reasonable well, but could be doing better

Backwards momentum - I have done a bit but ought to step it up a bit

Be sketchy - I have only made 2 attempts so far.  I keep avoiding this one because I am so terrible at it that it is demotivating.  In my head I understand that this is normal and the only way to not be terrible is to practice, but the rest of me doesn't want to listen to any of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

The shrimp were really weird, they had these big giant pincers which I have never seen before

That prawn looks like he is settling in to tell you one hell of a story about this guy he once knew. 

(thanks for the pics!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, deftona said:

That prawn looks like he is settling in to tell you one hell of a story about this guy he once knew. 

With a hoarse voice and a cigarette in its left hand. I can totally picture it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly don't know how do you get to work out, or do anything, given the amount of food surrounding you :D I'm starting to see how lucky I am that I don't like danish cookies.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The aunt is living there by herself to keep it from getting taken over. 

I asked why they don't just change the locks but apparently it is complicated in a way that is beyond my comprehension.

This story is fascinating. Did they give you an explanation about what they think would happen if they changed the lock?

• Like 1

This story is fascinating. Did they give you an explanation about what they think would happen if they changed the lock?

I too am quite curious!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have only made 2 attempts so far.  I keep avoiding this one because I am so terrible at it that it is demotivating.  In my head I understand that this is normal and the only way to not be terrible is to practice, but the rest of me doesn't want to listen to any of that.

Maybe try sketching things that aren't....things?

By that I mean practicing techniques like drawing circles of different sizes and experimenting with croshatching and differnt textures and shapes. 

That way your brain won't go "It doesn't LOOK like the thing i'm trying to draw!!" But it's still good practice?

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We headed out around 5 so that we wouldn't be too late getting in.  We got back around 8 and decided to have Pizza Hut for dinner.  I had roast beef, soup and a salad, because what else would you eat at Pizza Hut?

Ha!  I just love this! :D 

19 hours ago, zenLara said:
23 hours ago, deftona said:

With a hoarse voice and a cigarette in its left hand. I can totally picture it.

Yep, his name was Old Jim, and Old Jim has seen things. Things your nightmares get anxiety about...  :D

I honestly don't know how do you get to work out, or do anything, given the amount of food surrounding you :D I'm starting to see how lucky I am that I don't like danish cookies.

It's really tough. This is what we have in our house still (after stuffing our faces for the last week)

And this is a sampling of what's over at the in-law's place (plus all of the fruit and sweet beverages)

18 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I too am quite curious!

I three am quite curious but when I tried to ask more questions Ghostess jabbed me in the ribs and changed the subject.  She told me later that the whole topic is a sore spot for the family and best not to discuss it too much.  She doesn't know why they can't just change the locks either.  Sounds like the back story for one heck of a TV drama if you ask me.

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You sir, seem to be correct.  That is exactly what they looked like when we ordered them out of the talk out in the front of the restaurant.

13 hours ago, Happienumber said:

By that I mean practicing techniques like drawing circles of different sizes and experimenting with croshatching and differnt textures and shapes. 

That way your brain won't go "It doesn't LOOK like the thing i'm trying to draw!!" But it's still good practice?

That is...  a very good idea.  I probably should do some research first to make sure I am practicing the right way.

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Ha!  I just love this! :D 

You laugh but it's so true.  On the whole menu they only have a tiny pizza section and everything else is what Chinese people imagine Western food should be (kind if the opposite of how Chinese food in the US is only a rough approximation of what Americans think Chinese food should be.  Localization is a big thing here (McDonalds sells rice bowls).  They even opened up a taco bell in Shanghai a few years ago but it failed spectacularly.  Apparently not enough people are interested in eating shrimp pilaf from Taco Bell.

Lunch yesterday was this:

From bottom left clockwise: rice, braised short ribs, shrimp (the regular kind' not the mutant river shrimp), watercress, fried fish, pork & string beans, mushu pork, braised fish steaks

After lunch Ghostess packed up all other stuff (she has to go back early for work, but will be back in a couple of weeks on a business trip).  Ghostlet made fried dumplings for dinner because that is one of his homework assignments.

After dinner we played mahjong again (and and tons of snacks) until 1am.  I did not workout this morning again because I went to the airport to drop off Ghostess.  Lunch was a bowl of noodles that I didn't take a picture of.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Seconding that one. Also, realistic drawing is just one option among a thousand really. Free your pen :D

• Like 2

Yep, his name was Old Jim, and Old Jim has seen things.

Now I'm confused. This Old Jim is the prawn, or the guy that prawn knew? :D

I three am quite curious but when I tried to ask more questions Ghostess jabbed me in the ribs and changed the subject.  She told me later that the whole topic is a sore spot for the family and best not to discuss it too much.  She doesn't know why they can't just change the locks either.  Sounds like the back story for one heck of a TV drama if you ask me.

Curiouser and curiouser... I guess we will never know, though.

I would feel stressed with all those snacks at home :(

I had a lot of mental blocks when I started sketching past year, and it helped me to take a course called "how to draw without talent", from the sketchbookskool. I don't know if you're into investing some money in a hobby, but the course kind of changed my mind when it comes to drawing results or the quality of what I do.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

a course called "how to draw without talent"

That's a very judgmental name. Just because they can't see different talents as valuable doesn't mean it's not a real talent! I propose a new name: "how to draw if your talent is in something completely different". :P 

@WhiteGhost, do you have a recipe for those dumplings, that you might be willing to share? They look fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Strangely enough I find it comforting that Ghostess doesn't understand it either. 

16 hours ago, zenLara said:

The prawn knows Old Jim, but Old Jim and the prawn saw some of that stuff together...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Strangely enough I find it comforting that Ghostess doesn't understand it either. 

I find it strangely hilarious that FIL won't explain it to Ghostess but he will to Ghostlet  :D

On 2/10/2019 at 4:17 PM, @mu said:

Seconding that one. Also, realistic drawing is just one option among a thousand really. Free your pen :D

Realistic sketching is where my interest lies, so I will focus on that for now.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, zenLara said:

Curiouser and curiouser... I guess we will never know, though.

That's what I thought too, but then at lunch Today Ghostlet brought it up and they explained it in a way that an 11 year old can understand.  This was more my speed  :D

Apparently the situation is that before the divorce, the girls parents used to cone down and spend the winters there.  After the divorce, they kept coming even though the apartment belonged to the son now.  According to the aunt, the girlsbparents just didn't have the manners to stop showing people but to just change the locks and kick them out would be socially bad form so they kind of leftist at that.  However, the girls dad had a stroke and is not long for this world, and they were going to have him cone live down here full time where the climate is much better.  However, in Chinese culture, no one wants to live in a house that someone has died in (hospice care does not exist here for that reason - everyone just stays in the hospital until they die) and the family was worried that the father would die while he was there.  If that happened, the place would be both unlivable and unsellable so in order to make sure that didn't happen, the aunt came down here to live full time before the dad could come squatting.  As long as she is there, the dad can't come, but if she leaves they believe they would be down here the next day (half of the place is filled with the dad's stuff as if they planned to just kind of take over).

I would feel stressed with all those snacks at home :(

Right?  I kind of feel guilty if I don't eat it because the in-laws went out of their way to make sure we had the kind of snacks I like. That I would prefer not to snack at all is a concept that is difficult for them to grasp.

19 hours ago, BardicGarlic said:

2 pages already and it's not even the first day!

To be fair, I treat zero week like a regular challenge week so for me it is already the end of the first week.

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

a course called "how to draw without talent"

That's a very judgmental name. Just because they can't see different talents as valuable doesn't mean it's not a real talent! I propose a new name: "how to draw if your talent is in something completely different". :P 

I would probably sign up for a class if they called it "how to draw for those with no drawing talent"  :D

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

WhiteGhost, do you have a recipe for those dumplings, that you might be willing to share? They look fantastic.

I will ask my MIL, she doesn't use a recipe but it is just the way she learned to make them from her mother.

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The prawn knows Old Jim, but Old Jim and the prawn saw some of that stuff together...

Tank gets it. The prawn has some stories to tell you about Old Jim  :D

Yesterday afternoon was swimming again which for me means tons of pool handstands.  

Dinner was baked chicken, fried beef with onions & carrots, mixed vegetable stir fry, baked sweet potatoes, and Chinese bread.

After dinner we played a bit of Mahjong, but we cut other short at 10pm because The empire had the advantage on Coruscant and I couldn't let them win (see assassin side quest).  I went out into the yard and did a very intense leg and pull workout to make sure I had enough points but when I went to enter them in I was very disheartened to discover that I shouldbhave been doing abs and not legs.  In guess it will be a draw, even though that just means endless debate about control of trade routes to outlying start systems.  That's the kind of thing that kills republics.

This morning was spent helping Ghostlet organize his homework, which needs to be finished by the 21st.  He has to read 4 books (and 3 book report posters), 4 additional posters of varying topics, memorize 1 classical Chinese poem, build 2 craft projects, some math problems and a bunch of English spelling & vocabulary.  The bulk of the next two weeks is going to be helping him with his homework...

For lunch we went out to a hotpot place where I had a lot of lamb & beef slices and a couple plates of meatballs.

After lunch we went to the pool again for more handstands and other goofing around (but only for 1 hour because we have homework to be done)

• Like 6

I am always surprised when there are actually cookies in the Danish butter cookie tins because they were always full of sewing things or junk at my parents' and grandparents' houses. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's what I thought too, but then at lunch Today Ghostlet brought it up and they explained it in a way that an 11 year old can understand.  This was more my speed  :D

Apparently the situation is that before the divorce, the girls parents used to cone down and spend the winters there.  After the divorce, they kept coming even though the apartment belonged to the son now.  According to the aunt, the girlsbparents just didn't have the manners to stop showing people but to just change the locks and kick them out would be socially bad form so they kind of leftist at that.  However, the girls dad had a stroke and is not long for this world, and they were going to have him cone live down here full time where the climate is much better.  However, in Chinese culture, no one wants to live in a house that someone has died in (hospice care does not exist here for that reason - everyone just stays in the hospital until they die) and the family was worried that the father would die while he was there.  If that happened, the place would be both unlivable and unsellable so in order to make sure that didn't happen, the aunt came down here to live full time before the dad could come squatting.  As long as she is there, the dad can't come, but if she leaves they believe they would be down here the next day (half of the place is filled with the dad's stuff as if they planned to just kind of take over).

When I was in my residency for chaplaincy, I was in a big training with lots of other chaplain's and chaplain residents working on Continuing Education. It was a video conference about multi-cultural approaches to death. A big deal had been made that Cultures in Asia view death differently, so much that in some cultures to even say the word "Death" is considered bad luck. During part of the video conference, someone said the word "death" and the video feed instantly cut out. Without missing a beat, I said loud enough for everyone to hear, "It is bad luck!" and got a big enough laugh that I was pleased with myself for a couple of days.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Gotta love the ability of kids to ask awkward questions and get away with it. :D And WOW, that is quite the backstory - definitely dramatic TV show worth!

Also, all the food pictures look incredible - and I would really struggle with that full a snack stash in my home.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:14 AM, scalyfreak said:

@WhiteGhost, do you have a recipe for those dumplings, that you might be willing to share? They look fantastic.

The shell is made of flour & water (mixed together to get a nice playdough consistency, divided into meatball size chunks and then rolled flat).  The filling can be pretty much anything you want.  In this case it was scrambled egg, mashed shrimp and minced pork (flavored with scallions, ginger, sesame oil, and Asian 5 spice).  The primary 3 ingredients mixed at an even ratio, with the flavorings added to taste.  Place a drop of filling on the flat shell and roll up into ball and pinch the edges, then heat as desired (boiled, steamed, baked, pan fried,deep fried, etc.)  Other common fillings we have are beef & onion, pork & cabbage, spinach & egg, and lamb & carrot.  You can pretty much put in whatever you want.

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's a lot of homework! I hope you can at least enjoy doing it together :)

You mentioned his grade but how old is he now? 

He just turned 11 last month

20 hours ago, raptron said:

I am always surprised when there are actually cookies in the Danish butter cookie tins because they were always full of sewing things or junk at my parents' and grandparents' houses. :P 

Truth!  Mostly because the cookies don't seem to stay in the tins very long ;) .  We have 2 new empty tins kicking around that are bound to filled up with knickknacks in short order.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When I was in my residency for chaplaincy, I was in a big training with lots of other chaplain's and chaplain residents working on Continuing Education. It was a video conference about multi-cultural approaches to death. A big deal had been made that Cultures in Asia view death differently, so much that in some cultures to even say the word "Death" is considered bad luck. During part of the video conference, someone said the word "death" and the video feed instantly cut out. Without missing a beat, I said loud enough for everyone to hear, "It is bad luck!" and got a big enough laugh that I was pleased with myself for a couple of days.

Haha, very bad luck :D  I was thinking about this and I don't think I have heard the word death in Chinese for a very long time.  I think there are more euphemisms for death in Chinese than there are for masturbation in English.  (thinking about it, English has a lot of euphemisms too, but outright saying someone died is not nearly as much of a shock to the system as it would be in Chinese)  In fact, the question for age even changes once you get into the "could-be-dying-any-day-now" age range.  For kids and adults it is fine to ask how old a person is (seriously, asking people's age or other personal questions is not a social faux pas for some bizarre reason! I will never get used to this) but when they get up into the age range bordering on average life spans the way you ask age is by saying "you have good longevity".  That phrase in Chinese is not a statement.  It is a socially accepted euphemism that everyone agrees only means "how old are you?".  

17 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Gotta love the ability of kids to ask awkward questions and get away with it. :D And WOW, that is quite the backstory - definitely dramatic TV show worth!

Also, all the food pictures look incredible - and I would really struggle with that full a snack stash in my home.

Over lunch today I learned there is more to the story.  The girl could not cook, even making toast or boiling water.  Nothing.  They boy knew this going into the marriage and was ok with that.  What he didn't sign up for was that the mother-in-law took it upon herself to come over to their house and cook every meal.  3 times a day, 365 days a year.  In addition to that she also spent her time taking care of their house and cleaning, doing laundry, etc.  The MIL did it because she wanted to help out (and because she was a terrible parent incapable of letting her child actually learn any how to survive outside the nest) but it was terrible for the marriage.  The couple themselves got along quite well, but the divorce happened to get away from the in-laws (the guys who kept coming down every winter to use the apartment).   Anyway, the son's dad (my uncle) did not agree to the divorce because he quite liked his DIL and refuses to accept that she isn't part of the family anymore.  This is a major enabling factor encouraging the in-laws to keep coming over and using the apartment.  Well, the son has now remarried but the father refuses to accept the new wife, so they have been banned from all family functions and activities.  The aunt that lives down here full time was going to go back up to the mainland for the holidays, but decided not to because it would just mean a bunch of drama and having to split her time between her husband and her son, which was just more stress than she needs.  

I really think this could get syndication for a prime time soap opera :D 

Not much to update in terms of my day, because it was the same as yesterday

Dinner was fish, rice and some fried vegetables.  I didn't take a picture of it.  After dinner I helped Ghostlet with some more homework and then we went to bed.  

This morning I didn't do a workout because I felt like I could use a break.  In the morning was more homework and then lunch was fish again, some winter melon and meatball soup and fried rice.

After lunch was back to the pool (where I did lots of handstands again), and then we played around in the yard.  Ghostlet played basketball with some of the other kids and I just played around with fun things (shoulder stands, handstands, back rolls, front rolls, fish flops, kip ups, kips, elbow levers, and hip circles).  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The shell is made of flour & water (mixed together to get a nice playdough consistency, divided into meatball size chunks and then rolled flat).  The filling can be pretty much anything you want.  In this case it was scrambled egg, mashed shrimp and minced pork (flavored with scallions, ginger, sesame oil, and Asian 5 spice).  The primary 3 ingredients mixed at an even ratio, with the flavorings added to taste.  Place a drop of filling on the flat shell and roll up into ball and pinch the edges, then heat as desired (boiled, steamed, baked, pan fried,deep fried, etc.)  Other common fillings we have are beef & onion, pork & cabbage, spinach & egg, and lamb & carrot.  You can pretty much put in whatever you want.

Simple and straight-forward. Thank you!