• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thom Stépan

Thom starts building consistency

So last challenge I returned to the NF fold after close to three years of absence.

I started following old friends once again and started writing in my Battlelog. Now I am writing a challenge. I will be keeping it simple and have it focus on things I already have as goals for the year.

Firstly, I want to keep building on my consistency in going to the gym and continue building my strength. Gym twice per week, Monday and Thursday.

Second, is continuing my studies for my Diploma in Life Coaching. I plan to spend four hours per week studying minimum.

Thirdly, my local SCA group starts back tomorrow. We are at the point of becoming a Shire in our own right. I plan to be authorised is SCA Rapier this year. So regular training attendence needs to be a thing. Attend training every Tuesday.

So my first challenge for many years has been written. Let's see how I go.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Got to SCA training tonight. Lady Helga and I worked on point control and hitting our target for training tonight. It was a good session after not training since mid December.

• Like 2

awesome!  cute kids.  I'm following along!

is this SCA about medievel enactments,etc.

these guys?

http://socsen.sca.org/what-is-the-sca/

if so Interesting.  I've known one guy who was really into that.  He and me talked a few weeks because he was working on being a Knight and Knight's were known to have some skill at chess.

I was a  short time coach; or a chess "jousting partner" if you will.

he had ALOT of potential!

Just keep in mind that chess had a major evolution in about the year 1500.

the Queen formerly the "Visier"  got an amazing increase in mobility and thus , strength.  the bishop also was strengthened.  other improvements were made.

this means that OLD chess; 

by our expectations was a MUCH slower and more limited game.   you had to  slowly bring your forces out and there were much less opening surprises,  as the peices simply didn't have the power for quick tactics until quite a few moves were made.

perhaps this taught knights to be patient!

still patience is a underestimated talent in chess.   you can do really, really good by being very patient and waiting for the opponent to mess up.

anyways. try to have patience with yourself, and I will look forward to reading of your challenge!

• Like 1

Of course I'm following :D (adorable kids! and have I told you how glad I am you're back?!)

• Like 2

@TGP yes that SCA. My persona is from the late Anglo-Saxon period. Early 11th century, after Cnut has gained the thrones of England and Denmark. 1020's to 1030's. So before chess came to Europe. Tafl is the strategy game of the time.
@RES so glad you have joined me. I am glad to be back.

I got an hour of studying in today.

After a conversation at training Tuesday evening, I am thinking about starting up an old habit I created when I was on NF before. Allow me to introduce you to:

Boiling Kettle Calisthenics

Basically the workout is simple. Everytime I put the kettle onto make a cuppa I have to do some simple bodyweight exercises. The minimum is one set of ten benchtop pushups and one set of ten bodyweight squats.

A round of BBWW would also be a brilliant option, lunges, pull ups, whatever.

Regardless of the routine, it is done every time the kettle (urn, coffee maker) goes on. If you are making a cup of coffee, tea, cocoa, hot chocolate or any hot water beverage you do the routine.

This will be bonus exercises for me, going to the gym is my main focus.

Today I did five boiling kettle calisthenic sessions. That is 5x10 benchtop pushups and 5x10 bodyweight squats. Yes that means five cups of coffee as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Boiling Kettle Calisthenics

Basically the workout is simple. Everytime I put the kettle onto make a cuppa I have to do some simple bodyweight exercises. The minimum is one set of ten benchtop pushups and one set of ten bodyweight squats.

Woah. I love this. I might not be on the ball enough to do it when I make coffee in the morning but it sounds like a plan for any tea I might have throughout the day. This is a really neat way to incorporate exercise into daily life.

• Like 2

I was feeling nauseous yesterday, bloody humidity. So no gym. I have been doing my Boiling Kettle calisthenics everyday though. Getting 3 to 5 sets in a day.

I am glad I dont drink as many coffees as I used to. Before my relationship fell apart I was drinking about ten cups per day. Mind you, it would be great for the exercise.

I picked my youngest three kids (those awesome ones in the photo) this afternoon. I love the weekends when I have them. Bec has always been good in regards to that.

I have probably done about two hours of study on my course. I am thinking about making Wednesday my study/coaching day. So that way I can focus on it specifically for the day.

• Like 3

Woah. I love this. I might not be on the ball enough to do it when I make coffee in the morning but it sounds like a plan for any tea I might have throughout the day. This is a really neat way to incorporate exercise into daily life.
It is a nice simple way to include some exercise. I am finding that I am getting mild muscle soreness from it at the moment. I have gotten badly unfit. Being a single Dad of one teenage boy and living in a two bedroom unit, I don't move as much as I used to when I was caring for everyone. So it is a great way to increase my movement.

• Like 3

Great start to the week. My Elaina is in Sydney today seeing her pain team. Her meds were increased, and a new one added. She is already on 900mg of Gabepentin and 37.5mg of Amatryptaline (endep). Bloody ten years old and about 35kg (77lb). Yes she is tiny.

For those new, and to refresh the memory of everyone else, Elaina is my survivor.

When she was one they found an aggressive, life threatening, benign Desmoid tumour in her left cheek bone. After 13 hours of surgery, they removed the tumour and cheekbone. Put in a slip of plastic to hold her eye in place. Used muscles from her stomach to fill out her cheek. They managed to save her tear duct.

A metric fuck tonne of surgery for anyone let alone a wee bairn.

Because of the benign rating we can not call it cancer. There is a 70% chance of the tumour returning.

She is my Nina Bear, she is tougher than leather. She is a natural redhead, which is all the warning the world will get.

I am at Bec's house watching the other kids, whilst she is in Sydney with Elaina. Bec and I may not be able to live together, but we will work hard to look after these kids.

21a79255099312d03572691ba3a2de4b.jpg

• Like 6

yeah, I really appreciate you sharing that Thom.

what a special girl!  obviously very tough and ready to succeed. perhaps a bit like her dad.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.
@TGP, Elaina is my inspiration. If a tiny ten year old girl can keep going with her medical issues and pain, then I would be a wuss if I couldn't keep up.

Elaina has had her pain meds increased. She is now on 1200mg Gabepentin, 50mg of Amatryptaline (Endep), plus some new drug. Sigh.

Still she will be home tonight. And tomorrow I will drive home.

• Like 3

She's beautiful

On 2/11/2019 at 2:10 AM, Thom Stépan said:

She is my Nina Bear, she is tougher than leather. She is a natural redhead, which is all the warning the world will get.

I love this description you give of her...

16 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Elaina has had her pain meds increased. She is now on 1200mg Gabepentin, 50mg of Amatryptaline (Endep), plus some new drug. Sigh.

My thoughts are with her, you, and the rest of the family...nothing is harder than not being able to help our children :( 

• Like 1

aww cutie! she is an inspiration and i can't imagine how hard that must be in a kid. i'm a nurse and always wanted to work in peds (well, technically i have but w/ newborns) but don't think my heart could bear working with kiddos who are struggling. i hope the med changes are going to do her well.

• Like 2

A flat day for me today.

I lost my little cleaning job I had. Yes, it does clear the way for me to move on and start coaching. But damn.

On the bright side I started looking at niches and marketing stuff. Tomorrow will take me to Cootamundra to pick up my girls. Money's going to be tight for a bit, but hugs are free.

Got to get my game on and start things moving forwards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

I lost my little cleaning job I had. Yes, it does clear the way for me to move on and start coaching. But damn.

I feel this. Even when there are positives to a thing there can still be negatives. I think it's important to acknowledge that something sucks but then move forward with the positives (ie more time to work toward coaching) like you seem to be doing. Try not to dwell on it too much because you've got this.

• Like 2

i love your attitude, that this sorrow is clearing you out for something greater but also sorry that it happened.

would like to add that the name cootamundra is AMAZING. i wish we had a cootamundra. maybe i'll have to name our household that.

• Like 2

i love your attitude, that this sorrow is clearing you out for something greater but also sorry that it happened.
would like to add that the name cootamundra is AMAZING. i wish we had a cootamundra. maybe i'll have to name our household that.
We have some fascinating town names in Australia. Many are based on local aboriginal words. Cootamundra is based on the Wiradjuri word Gooramundra which means turtle or swamp.

Where I live, Wagga Wagga, is Wiradjuri for place of many crows or place of many dances.

• Like 2

I feel this. Even when there are positives to a thing there can still be negatives. I think it's important to acknowledge that something sucks but then move forward with the positives (ie more time to work toward coaching) like you seem to be doing. Try not to dwell on it too much because you've got this.
Losing the job sucks. But yeah I didnt want to be doing it long term anyway. I had hoped to have the extra money it provided coming in until my coaching took off. But such is life.

Enjoyed my weekend with my daughters. We had a Harry Potter marathon. They were finally old enough to watch the last four movies.

• Like 3