No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - Keep On Keeping On

4 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

So nothing really new. You were probably expecting this, weren't you?! :D

Yes ma'am. Still, glad it's official. :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I'm irritated with the place we've booked accommodation! I made a final change (as per instructions from mil), and the people aren't getting back to either me or the booking agency! I do realise they are probably super busy, because of that event, but seriously, they can't answer their emails within a week!? The problem is that I've done similar work and I know what can be done, but then I also worked myself to a standstill and breaking point. So maybe they are more clever in that regard by not taking customer service so seriously. *shrug* who knows.

I hate this time before going somewhere because I previously had issues with people, like nonsense with Brandt's brother when we visit his mom and they were there as well, and I know that usually mil changes things and then we just have to jump in and make things work. Meaning a lot of stress and arrangements are dumped on us (Brandt and I). Which is what she did - again!, and told us about last night.

She told the 5 other cyclists who are from her town participating in this race, to all get together after the race, with their families, at one point (which Brandt and I have to find), so that we can all have a late lunch together. Doesn't sound bad, but take into consideration that we are now talking cyclists and their families (20-30 people), among a crowd of at least 36 000, and Brandt and I must make sure that we gather everyone up, and have a place at some or other restaurant, in a town we don't know, for 30-40 people (when you include us, kids, and his brother, etc.)! And she just told everyone already that Brandt and I will make the arrangements while they cycle that morning! So I was not impressed when I spoke to her last night, but I managed to say, we'll see on the day, and impressed some of the impossibilities of the situation on her. "Oh she didn't think about that, just thought it would be a great idea."

When they (Brandt, his mom and 1 other friend) cycle the Amashova in October here by us, I usually have to find a table at a place close by for 6-8 people (our family, mil, friend and his wife). That is super difficult if you take into consideration the +-14 000 people gathered around for the race. And I know Durban beach front a lot better than Cape Town! Brandt said nothing when she first spoke to him, which made her realise she is pushing her luck. You can't book places due to the crowd; restaurants work on a first come, first serve basis, and the cyclists don't finish together, or even within a short time of each other, meaning we will have to sit among the crowd for hours waiting for everyone!

Anyway! I'm not happy, but I can't do anything about it at the moment. Brandt didn't even want to talk about it after her phone call, he was even less happy than I was.

Wow, that sucks!

I hate when people push me around like that.  when I have very little input on a potentially uncomfortable situation.

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Otherwise, a calm, relaxed weekend. Brandt had his first marshal duties on Saturday. He drove down to the south coast on Friday night, and was home around 21h00 Saturday night. Sunday morning he woke up and started asking me very specific questions about finances and moving and stuff WHEN we go to NZ. He is now in full planning mode (meaning he makes suggestions then delegates those to me anyway; I have to do the planning, and gathering of detailed information, prices, etc. :D Nothing really changed, it is just official) and we ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO NZ!

The only question is when, depending firstly on arrangements around his work contracts here, secondly on getting our passports and papers in order - in our hands! (called visa ready), and thirdly, when he can get a job there. It would really be better to only apply once we have the SA papers in hand. Then we are sure of where we stand. But it is definite... we are planning on going to NZ, aiming for the south island, and now we just have to make things work out. And just like that a lot of stress rolled off my shoulders, to be replaced by other issues causing stress.

I started drawing up a spreadsheet calculating our costs, as close as I can work them out, for the various stages and things that need to be arranged. Example spreadsheet 1 is for everything paper related to getting Visas (paperwork, health checks, English tests...). Spreadsheet 2 will be about moving, getting rid of unwanted furniture and other household goods; spreadsheet 3 about pets arrangements, etc. Everything with its costs as close to as I can get, get quotes, etc. We'll start in earnest when we come back from the Cape, then I'll make arrangements with the second immigration agency to have that Skype talk. They sent Brandt a host of information, free of charge, which already gave us more of a direction of where things need to head. So basically... watch this space for a lot of future talks on emigrating to another country. And just like that I got a scared bunch of butterflies in my tummy!

The boys are so relieved. Adam was super stressed Friday night with Brandt away, so neither of us slept well. They are eager to climb in and focus on school work, so that we can get permission to HS that side, focus on health (for the health exams), and just... well I guess it is an adventure to work for, which we are all looking forward to! It will not happen quickly, will take a couple months, and maybe we are able to move before the end of the year, because we will also have to do some serious money saving! But we have something to save for: life in NZ, taking the pets with (very expensive), etc.

So nothing really new. You were probably expecting this, weren't you?! :D

WOOT!  I think I can speak for Nearly the Whole forum that we are SO very pleased your leaving.  Clearly you are NOT in a safe place.

I really think you guys are making the right decision.

yeah. it was a really Good Post! ty

I'll send more prayers your way.  I think they are working :)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, annyshay said:

Yes ma'am. Still, glad it's official. :D

:D I was really unsure as Brandt kept saying he thinks we are used to the trouble and safety situation, we can see this through. But this last week, with the reports online, etc. he has become very angry and frustrated at times. All four of us are really looking forward to life that side of the ocean now.

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Wow, that sucks!

I hate when people push me around like that.  when I have very little input on a potentially uncomfortable situation.

Brandt told me this morning he had told his mom the previous weekend already that it is unpractical, and we can't do it. She also phoned the accommodation place herself to change the arrangements, that is why they didn't return my requests. They just let me know that they spoke to a Mrs. van der Merwe on the phone, and everything is as per her instructions, as requested. They assumed it was me, as I'm also Mrs. van der Merwe. Now we aren't sure what has been arranged, and what not. A part of me wonders whether old age is catching up on her mind. I'm trying to stay patient, but it is frustrating when you are in charge of certain arrangements and someone else comes in and meddles/interferes.

21 hours ago, TGP said:

WOOT!  I think I can speak for Nearly the Whole forum that we are SO very pleased your leaving.  Clearly you are NOT in a safe place.

I really think you guys are making the right decision.

It seems our city has become more of a focal point than others, but last week there wasn't a boo or bah during the previous president's court appearance. The police cordoned the court house off, and the protestors/supporters where kept inside a specific area. Nothing major happened outside that area. Not like the previous time where they burnt out trucks on the highway, and had huge aggressive protests.

Prayers are greatly appreciated and very needed. Both for in South Africa, and for everything leading up to and finally moving to New Zealand. This Thursday I'm attending that evening talk about emigrating with your pets. I'm very excited, to be honest.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yes, I was expecting the official news that NZ is happening. I can't wait to see your pictures from Hobbiton.

:D I heard there is an official "Mt. Doom walk" as well. I've had to google the Hobbiton tour, and we looked at the photos. Unfortunately there is still a serious lot of preparations and things to happen before we can reap those prizes (visit Hobbiton and walk Mt. Doom). Brandt's aiming for end of the year. I keep thinking July/August for no reason that I'm aware of. We'll have to see how things work out.

-----------------------------------------

Week 4: Monday

1. Exercises

• Strength: Nothing. I've fallen off the wagon and aren't even keeping up next to it.
  • Walking: Tuesday - not going to happen, as we have to sort out problems with the Mazda.

2. Dry Fire: Watched some videos on very specific scenarios. Otherwise Wednesday morning...

3. Water: Yes, enough water for the challenge. Not enough for the humidity and heat. Feet and leg cramps at night, even though I've been drinking some milk before going to bed.

4. Sleep: I got in bed on time. Then up 5min. later because I forgot something. Then up a couple minutes later because of something else... repeat this loop. I finally fell asleep around 23h00.

5. Finances

• Dailies: Up to date.
  • Monthlies: DONE!

6. Tidy a Room: Nothing more, but good discussions with the boys about necessary and nice to have. Also a lot of planning in my head about what is necessary and what unnecessary to take along. Half our household contents can stay. If not more. Both boys said those toys not going, must be shared between Thoko's grandchildren, one or two friends, and a children's home nearby.

Next focus is on repainting the bathroom wall.

-----------------------------------------

Had to get Rocco new running shoes. Last year Adam got nr.8 (US size) men's shoes, and Rocco is short on his heels with a nr.7! I'm shocked by how much our prices for products in all categories have gone up.

I have a low grade, but persistent headache around my temples, radiating back into my neck. Think I'll lie down for a bit, before I need to fetch Brandt in town. But first... make sure about Cape accommodation. Sigh.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I heard there is an official "Mt. Doom walk" as well. I've had to google the Hobbiton tour, and we looked at the photos. Unfortunately there is still a serious lot of preparations and things to happen before we can reap those prizes (visit Hobbiton and walk Mt. Doom). Brandt's aiming for end of the year. I keep thinking July/August for no reason that I'm aware of. We'll have to see how things work out.

I will say you're a lot more likely to get us to come visit in NZ than SA (and not because of the hobbit stuff ;))

• Like 1

So excited for you! Nice to have the decision made. I will pray for peace and wisdom, in all your preparing. And that it will all come together quickly.

Per the trip, and you being  recruited to make plans for lunch, you can always say, "that sounds lovely, but I am handling so much right now, I don't have time to take on the task of getting a restaurant" In other words, just because they assumed you would do it, doesn't mean you have to.:friendly_wink:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I will say you're a lot more likely to get us to come visit in NZ than SA (and not because of the hobbit stuff ;))

You guys would ALWAYS be welcome to visit, and honestly, I 'd feel more confident and secure inviting you there, than here. Total honesty means I have to point out that a lot of people visit and holiday in South Africa every year without anything happening to them, but... personally I think it is a wonder that nothing happens to them. Then again, we are also being protected while people around us are being attacked and burglarized. Who can understand or explain the situation? Security around holiday places are seriously high, and still you cannot relax totally. But there are also the problems of services which are interrupted, etc. although most places now have to have some kind of backup, and backup for the backup.
But I'll always love Africa.

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

So excited for you! Nice to have the decision made. I will pray for peace and wisdom, in all your preparing. And that it will all come together quickly.

It is nice to have the decision made, knowing that you can now plan and work towards something. It isn't just a dream or wish to have situation.

Thank you for the prayers. We really need them and appreciate them. :love_heart:

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Per the trip, and you being  recruited to make plans for lunch, you can always say, "that sounds lovely, but I am handling so much right now, I don't have time to take on the task of getting a restaurant" In other words, just because they assumed you would do it, doesn't mean you have to.:friendly_wink:

You are absolutely right: just because she assumes we will do what she asks, doesn't mean we have to! I think we are just so used to "do what your parent says/asks", except when it comes to really big family decisions, like home schooling, and now immigrating.

Mil has no idea that we are even contemplating immigrating. The last we discussed something like this, was when Brandt said immigration would be a last resort, around end November last year? Brandt and I have a total "no talking about it to her or any family" rule, which even the boys understand, as we all remember all too clearly how she reacted for the first three, four years after we said we are choosing to home school our boys. He'll tell her about it while we are down in the Cape this weekend. In general she doesn't have any idea of things I have to handle or sort through other than the house, the boys and their schooling, the finances, and whatever pops up. So she won't see that as "too much to handle something else". We've been keeping things in our lives a lot more close to the chest, than previously. She knows that I had to apply for the boys for unabridged birth certificates, but she still assumes it is only to open personal bank accounts for them. I didn't elaborate as that was the original reason I needed to get those documents. And if we stay in SA, that is what I'd be using them for.

When Brandt's brother and his wife lived in UK a couple years ago (+- 8-9years ago), she continually made comments about the situation, to the point where we had to tell her to stop.

Going to be an interesting weekend for sure!

------------------------------------------------------------

I dropped the Mazda (Serenity) off at Tune Up Centre yesterday for the fuel/air mix, mass airflow sensor to be checked out. It's been jerking and giving a lot of trouble when temperatures are high outside. Brandt forgot that he had to collect me there, and I waited almost an hour for him to arrive, after I'd phoned him and said "Uhm, you coming to get me, or what?" Luckily the owner refused to lock up and leave me there, as it was definitely not a safe place for me to wait alone. I could probably have walked 3 blocks away to a safer area also. Brandt was very contrite about it, but all's well, and I know how he gets when he focuses on work. This morning just after 8am the shop already phoned and said the car was ready and all should be fixed now! But between Brandt being in a meeting this morning, and me having to take the kids to Lego (out of town) over lunch time, we're not sure how to manage that! Normally it takes at least the whole day, so we were planning on fetching the car late this afternoon. I might miss my walk during Lego, due to having to wangle cars.

• Like 2

Mazda is fixed! She drives like a dream!

More drama with the accommodation bookings. 1. An honest mistake by the accommodation people due to the agency through which we worked, not doing their job. 2. The owner tried to accommodate us as far as she could with the changes in dates, etc. and when I had that sorted out, Brandt's mom phoned with new changes from Brandt's brother and his wife! I just flatly refused to make any more changes, as firstly it had to have been done by Wednesday at the latest, and 2ndly they always throw everyone around last minute. Then Brandt's mother always ends up footing the bill, we feel sorry for her, and we help pay. Brandt said - not again.

For almost half of the day we didn't have electricity due to maintenance issues from the municipality, so I couldn't start washing, cooking, etc. early. Thus I am still finishing the last stuff now 21h25. And of course I spent two hours at the Emigrating with your Pet, talk tonight. They basically put all the difficulties with vaccinations, etc. into layman's language, repeated everything that I've learned on the Immigration New Zealand website already, but cleared up one or two things too, so I think it was worth it.

Unfortunately one lady who used to work at Brandt's one client was there. Lovely lady, but HUGE gossip! I give it two weeks max before a lot of work people, friends, acquaintances,  know we are seriously considering immigrating.

I've got all the paperwork for this weekend printed and ready. Need to pack clothes now. Made all the food for Eric for this weekend when he looks after house and pets for us. And I think that's it. This morning I also had left overs from a migraine that hit yesterday afternoon. So whenever I coughed or moved my head too quickly today, it wasn't nice, but by this afternoon it was totally gone.

I'm going to finish up and go to bed. We'll need to leave by 6h30 to make it in time to the airport (1h30) through rush hour traffic. Need to be at the airport two hours before take off, to hand over the car, get our tickets, maybe have breakfast, and go. If God wills, we'll be back safe and sound Monday evening.

Love you all! Have a good weekend.

:love_heart:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I give it two weeks max before a lot of work people, friends, acquaintances,  know we are seriously considering immigrating.

Expect a huge meltdown from your mom when she finds out. Also, don't tell her till after you are gone if you can help it.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Expect a huge meltdown from your mom when she finds out. Also, don't tell her till after you are gone if you can help it.

I was wondering how to handle this, as I will have speak to the manager and finance people w.r.t. the portion we pay every month for my mom's stay at the home. But I can do the latter telephonically. As things stand now, we are looking at end of the year, but there are a serious lot of stuff to get done before then. I'll tackle something every month.

22 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hope you're having an awesome time!

Brandt, the boys, and I had a good time, thank you. The boys loved flying! The Cape was... the Cape :D Windy, cold, windy... sand got in everywhere, windy... with gorgeous views of Table Mountain, Lion's Head, the bay... sun setting only after 20h00 at night... We had two great walks to the beach, on the beach, and back. We had a good time with the boys, and the cousins got along great! No problems what so ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the time we had a good time. Saturday morning m.i.l. was eager to go out with us to where ever, so we drove north up the West Coast of South Africa. Only Brandt had been that way before while at university. We went to the Fossil Park and all of us had a great time learning about animal skeletons from both land AND water animals found deep down in a river bed. All mixed up. Later back at the guest house, Brandt and I took the boys for a walk to and on the beach, which was only 1km from the house. We watched the kite surfers enjoying the wind and waves, then walked back home (about 3km in all).

M.i.l. finished her race in 6h38m, which is an hour longer than previous years on average, due to the strong wind. Here she stands with her three grandsons: Rocco, Gerbrandt (who is 7 months younger than Adam, and 1.5yrs older than Rocco), m.i.l., and Adam.

159021032_13-ArgusmetoumaC.thumb.jpg.30f77f3e2568f9a31da65fbcffd582ed.jpg

Family rant:

Spoiler

Family trouble happened. Brandt and I only discussed a little bit in the car on the last stretch home. There were even more accommodation changes from m.i.l. and s.i.l. which I brought to a cold stop. I totally lost my patience with them throwing everyone around and just expecting others to do what they want, no matter how much it would inconvenience other people! We were sharing a house with other paying guests, and they were basically expecting the owner to ask others to leave, so they could have rooms and stay another day! I was so angry.

Then they wanted to 'have a little thing' again at the guest house, which I also brought to a cold stop when it became clear that I was going to have to do everything, as m.i.l. wanted to rest after her race, and s.i.l.: "you know I'm so bad at cooking, and you having been a P.A. arranging functions for years", changing it later to: "we can get take-aways" (the latter said with a grimace). I told them straight that I'd flown down to celebrate m.i.l.'s cycling accomplishment. I did not come to cater and serve others. This was also my mini-break, as much as they were having a mini-break. They want to be treated? We go to a restaurant and each family pay their own way. S.i.l. wasn't happy; m.i.l. insisted she'd pay, because b.i.l. immediately complained about the cost when he was told about the restaurant idea. We went to the restaurant. I felt a bit bad as I'd suggested a restaurant I'd seen that morning while walking, thinking it was a cheaper family style one, from the looks outside. It turned out to be a bit on the expensive side, with a totally deceptive 'upmarket' style inside. But no one wanted to leave and look for another restaurant except me, so I let it go. An old school friend of Brandt's and his brother's, joined us there on m.i.l.'s insistence. He was "like a third son" in the house, and lives in the area now. He seemed like a very nice guy, although I hardly got to talk to him.

The friend came back to the guesthouse for coffee, and it was really nice and relaxed. After he left, s.i.l. asked Brandt for some advice on financial decisions she has to make. Her husband made all kinds of nasty comments towards Brandt and his wife. Brandt told him if he paid his share towards his wife's costs, he could comment, otherwise he had to shut up. Then Brandt asked how m.i.l. was going to get to where her lift was to get her this morning. Jada, jada, jada. I totally withdrew from the conversation, not even listening. This morning m.i.l. wanted to blame the trouble squarely on s.i.l. with her son being spotless and totally not to blame for anything, so I lost my temper and told her a couple home truths about her 'darling son's attitude', comparing him to my mom and calling him a narcissist. Brandt pointed at me, then told his mom to listen to me, because that was the honest truth about his brother, added that she was making their marriage worse with her actions, then walked out the room. He put our bag in the car, we offered again to drop her off. She insisted b.i.l. would do it, as he'd insisted the night before, or she would make a plan. Brandt told me she was an adult and knew what choices she was making. He was sick and tired of this nonsense. In the end we heard b.i.l. had left her there because he didn't have any space in his car, and she had to call the lift to fetch her. She's now safely at the lift's family, and they are leaving for home tomorrow morning.

So, we never told m.i.l. about our plans to immigrate. I told s.i.l. at one point that we are seriously considering it, because she wanted to arrange a Christmas get together at OUR house at the end of the year. She kept asking why not, and pushing about how great it would be to have the whole family together, so I exasperatedly told her that we hope NOT to be in the country by Christmas. She surprised me then by commenting that we should probably not tell m.i.l. until maybe a month or two before we are leaving, because it would cause a huge blow up like our news about home schooling had caused, and we'll never hear the end of it. When I had a moment I mentioned it to Brandt and he agreed. So he didn't tell his mom any of our plans.

Brandt is now thinking about the angle of doing contract work in NZ, rather than working for a company. There is a chance that he can continue with one of his current contracts, working from NZ for them. The three owners of this company don't work in South Africa, and they communicate with the manager regularly via Skype. One is in Australia. It is the other contract that has Brandt in a bit of a bind. The one that he had money trouble with, the last couple of months. It was finalised this last Thursday, for the next year (so till end Feb.2020). He can break the contract, but it would leave his client in a difficult spot.

But all in all it was a good break. We had a nice time at the Fossil Park. We had two great walks on the beach with the boys (2nd time cousin G joined us). We had great (even if too much) food and coffee! It was so funny (yes ha-ha funny) to see the boys' facial expressions going through the phases of flying: taxi-ing (ah this is ok!), to that g-force hit at take off! (wow, with big eyes), to the height from the window, looking down at the world far, far below... They asked all kinds of questions again, which we tried to answer (like seeing the trail of vapour the engines leave because of the cold air), different clouds, flaps down, etc. It was good for our little family, and strengthened things between Brandt and I, if nothing else.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

It was good for our little family, and strengthened things between Brandt and I, if nothing else.

Well done, Mama Bear. This is entirely because of your strong boundaries and communication skills. I'm sorry you had to use them so much, but really proud of you!

Fossil Park sounds super cool too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good for you for sticking up for yourself with family, and I'm very proud of Brandt for sticking up for you with his mom.

We've come a long way. Brandt told me repeatedly how tired he is of the family's antics. On the one hand his mother is trying to help, on the other hand she is causing a lot of unnecessary hostility. I think his brother and s.i.l. can do with the book I read about communication between husband and wife, but they are so negative, calling each other bad names behind their backs... It is really sad.

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

Well done, Mama Bear. This is entirely because of your strong boundaries and communication skills. I'm sorry you had to use them so much, but really proud of you!

Fossil Park sounds super cool too.

A couple years ago I would have totally panicked if I were in this situation. It feels like they've become the children and I'm the adult looking in on them.

I have some photos from the Fossil Park, but it is mostly information :D, so boring otherwise. I planned to read the signs to the boys again when we touch the topic later this year or next year. The way the paleontologist-guide explained the different bones to us, which was from what animal, etc. was so fascinating. She pointed out different bones from different animals with a long stick. She didn't want to be on photos, so I didn't take one of her "on the job".

WP_20190309_012.thumb.jpg.90269e6b3bbf2f34e04df3eb40c883d4.jpg

And Africa did have a bear! These two photos was taken in the museum where they created metal frames for some of the new species they'd found. They used copies of teeth from all the animals in the murals. I asked the boys to sort the metal wall 'murals' to the glass plaque pictures.

WP_20190309_004.thumb.jpg.768fe19c152031d6e1c22377b673d0c8.jpg

WP_20190309_006.thumb.jpg.9d475194410168600b6984ffed0005f0.jpg

Our walks on the beach was amazing. Ok the wind blew the sand against our legs and it stung, and I didn't take my cellphone with, so unfortunately didn't take photos. But one thing I did realise was that our low-level of fitness now, is miles above our low level of fitness last year! We easily walked 3km in the wind with no problems, while we struggled to do that last year around June/July when we started walking with Brandt.

And last but not least... It is Rocco's 10th birthday today! We are obviously taking the day off, as I have to catch up on washing, buying food, etc. I also promised to take the boys to the Trampoline Park, where we'll have cake. Or I must buy a small chocolate cake and bring it home so Brandt can have some as well.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, annyshay said:

Awesome! Happy birthday, Rocco!!!

We had cake and milkshake. They had a great time at the trampoline place, and all is right in his world.

---------------------------------------

Woke up at 3am-ish because Missy was vomiting. Woke up at 4h30-ish because Adam was vomiting. Up again around 5am for Adam. Up again around 5h15 for Adam. Up again around 5h30 for Adam, and this time stayed up, made coffee, started the day.

It's going to be a long one.

I'm going to finish the sewing stuff (more clothes that pulled seems), try to finish Rocco's t-shirt. He wants me to draw a "The Legend of Spyro" picture on it. I'm just so not enthusiastic about it, but I'll try. The poor boy has been waiting for nearly three weeks now.

I still need to figure out what I want to do challenge wise; how to move forward.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hope everybody feels better soon. Sounds like a prime day for some stoep time!

Adam had a horrible day. The rest of us were unaffected. He stayed hydrated, and by night time he could keep food in. I elected to skip Lego lessons. It didn't help Adam that we had a 40+C day again.

Missy... I don't know. I need to take her to the vet next week for an assessment on health, whether she'll cope with flying, etc. She was as right as rain the rest of the day.

I totally missed our one car's license expiry date! I thought it was end of March, as that was when we finally got her on our name last year. Now it seems they adjusted the annual date to end of January! Brandt's Uno's license is expiring end of this month as well, so I have to get those two sorted today!

I drew up a timeline spreadsheet for what needs to be done, when, w.r.t. home, pets, moving, etc. with middle December as deadline for Brandt. I showed it to Brandt this morning and he suddenly understood more clearly how things fit together, and how things have to be worked out to get things done in time. I still have tasks to fill in those empty blocks, but have divided months into weeks (only week workdays), with a blue, green, yellow, orange, red divider between months as we get nearer to D-day. And of course we have no idea when D-day will actually be, but for now I'm working on when that one particular annual contract always seem to run out of money, which is middle December, and at the same time that the particular company close for December break. Interesting how a visual aid can suddenly give some perspective. This is of course only the last 2 months' tasks. I've drawn it up to start next week, showing 9 months in all.

timeline.jpg.ff5c54a682761b66ccc06ec88d4cd605.jpg

Of course all of this will also depend on getting the house sold, getting extra stuff sold/donated (like encyclopedias, books, tools), deciding just what we are going to take along, etc. etc. I actually love doing things like this, probably why I was good at managing offices with more than one boss to report to.

I got a call from an old friend yesterday. I don't really keep in contact with her except for birthdays. She phoned to congratulate Rocco with his birthday. She then casually mentioned that her husband had seen that I've been asking questions on some of the immigration groups on Fb. I'd seen they were public, but I thought very few people would actually pick up what little old me are doing on Fb seeing as they have other friends and business to keep them occupied. Anyway, I told her that we are seriously considering it, but currently I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible, get our ducks in a row, and that we are NOT telling people about our possible decision, until we are certain where we stand. Her first reply/breath was "oh, then she better tell her husband not to mention it to Brandt's mom when he phones her to ask about the cycling", and her second breath was to inundate me with all the information that she believes to be applicable and how things work. At first I tried to correct her when she got things wrong, but she wasn't interested in listening, she just kept on talking over me, so I shut up and said "thank you for the information". I tried to listen patiently when she mentioned how her husband was offered a job in Atlanta a couple years ago, but they didn't accept it, and how easily he could get a job now, but they aren't sure it is really necessary, and she doesn't want to move for reasons X, Y, Z. After the call, I went online and left those two public immigration groups. It was stupid of me not to realise some people will pick up on comments published, but honestly I didn't think it would have an effect. And I don't really care if word gets out, except Brandt wouldn't like it, especially if people ask him about it. And with his mom not knowing yet... well that is a bridge we'd have to cross at some point.

• Like 3