• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

Can I just say how much I love going to the office gym in the mornings? It's such a great start to the day!

Did my standard stuff + a few handstands. I managed one awesome hold where I kept up a conversation with my colleague as he was walking past. Felt so cool! Most of the rest were fails though. I think we were talking to much about bracing in @KB Girl's thread because I got mighty confused during my squats and they were all over the place. No I'm not overthinking, YOU'RE overthinking. Deadlifts went much better as I could quickly reset my breathing every time I put down the barbell. Good stuff! Except that leg day + myflex => very sore butt. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

No I'm not overthinking, YOU'RE overthinking.

Hehehe, sorry. 

Glad you're enjoying the office gym though :) 

31 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Hehehe, sorry. 

Glad you're enjoying the office gym though :) 

Haha yeah I just need to figure out a way that works for me. :) 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Can I just say how much I love going to the office gym in the mornings? It's such a great start to the day!

Did my standard stuff + a few handstands. I managed one awesome hold where I kept up a conversation with my colleague as he was walking past. Felt so cool!

OOOH, so fancy. :D 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Most of the rest were fails though. I think we were talking to much about bracing in @KB Girl's thread because I got mighty confused during my squats and they were all over the place. No I'm not overthinking, YOU'RE overthinking. Deadlifts went much better as I could quickly reset my breathing every time I put down the barbell. Good stuff! Except that leg day + myflex => very sore butt. 

Bracing confusion is totally normal. :)

AND YAY FOR SORE GLUTES. As a constant glute under-recruiter, I consider it a big victory to have glute soreness, hahah.

4 hours ago, raptron said:

OOOH, so fancy. :D 

I KNOW! Hahaha. Shame most of my other attempts failed, but hey at least I got one show off moment. :D 

Bracing confusion is totally normal. :)

Good that makes me feel better. :P Still annoying because bracing and by extension technique feel like the limiting factor for squats right now. Enjoying the learning process though!

AND YAY FOR SORE GLUTES. As a constant glute under-recruiter, I consider it a big victory to have glute soreness, hahah.

3 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Sore makes strong :P 

YEAH BOOTY GAINS! Between myflex and lifting sore butt pretty much sum up my life right now. :P Guess that's what happens after a lifetime of skipping leg day. ;) 

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I managed one awesome hold where I kept up a conversation with my colleague as he was walking past. Felt so cool!

This is AWESOME! 

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is AWESOME! 

Thanks! One day I'd love to be able to do that on command...

I had another one of those days with BONKERS energy levels! While waiting for climbing I did many many handstands, spent a bunch of time trying to learn basic capoeira kicks, vacuumed, did laundry, made pizza dough plus random dance breaks. I had to force myself to sit down for 20 minutes and chill because I was convinced I'd find a way to hurt myself if I didn't. But then I had coffee while doing it so it kinda negated the point. :D 

Climbing unfortunately wasn't great as I was really rather sore from the gym session yesterday. I had all the energy, but my strength simply wasn't there. My only goal for this session however was to not injure myself by doing something stupid, which I succeeded at so yay. :P 

Even though I'm physically dead I still have this residual urge to move, but I'm going to force myself to chill now and go full on recovery mode with pizza and wine. ;) I really hope I won't be too broken for parkour tomorrow, but I have a feeling I might not be able to work on some of the things I had planned. Which is ok, there's always sketchy rail balances to work on!

Friday positive actions

• Strength training at the office gym
  • Handstands
  • Beers with friends

Today's positive actions

• Climbing!
  • Capoeira!
  • Handstands! 
  • Didn't hurt myself
  • Adulted preemptively
  • Homemade pizza!
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

My only goal for this session however was to not injure myself by doing something stupid, which I succeeded at so yay.

Yay for a very successful session ;) 

40 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yay for a very successful session ;) 

Thank you I felt very accomplished. :D 

The side effect of hyperactive days is that the following day feels like death. :P I woke up at 6:30, which is pretty normal for me, but then I refused to leave it for an hour and a half. Eventually I had to to use the bathroom, and since I was already up I made myself a sandwich, but even after some food life felt too hard and I went back to bed. Got up at 10:30, drank all the coffee then headed to parkour. The thought of bailing crossed my mind but I didn't want to ditch my friend and also I thought that a bit of light movement and outside time would be much better than rotting inside all day.

Surprisingly enough I had a pretty good session! It's really fun training together, I steal some of his challenges, he steals some of mine. It's so interesting to me how we're better at way different things. Today for example we both worked on rolls and he showed me a challenge which is impossible for him at this point - doing a simple forward roll on top of a vault box. For me that's just fun. We were also discussing momentum in forward rolls and I did a stupid challenge of doing the slowest roll possible. I also worked on handstand to forward roll which I really suck at as it goes against all my instincts.

The thing that I however struggle at which he finds fascinating is that I can't jump. :P I was trying to jump up to a high rail and I could barely touch it even standing on two plates, while he gets there with ease. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I'm in theory doing all the right movements but somehow they don't end up helping with generating power. He tried helping me troubleshoot and while I think some cues helped a tiny bit, in general it's very hard thing for people to teach as for most it's such a natural movement they'd never had to dissect it. Now my big goal is to one day jump to that rail without plates! One day!

I also worked a bit on rail balances, they have this rail structure where you can walk around in a continuous path and the height keeps varying from maybe knee height to chest height. I set myself a little challenge of walking all around it, which I didn't quite manage as I got distracted by another shiny thing haha. But I managed to get on top and walk on both the scary tall sections which was the main point of the challenge. Changing levels is a little tricky, especially going down, but easier than I thought.

I also messed around with the baby knee giants that @WhiteGhost mentioned in his thread. It did not go well haha. In the first ones I'm just tipping back instead of piking and pushing back. The second one I found amusing because I unexpectedly got stuck in that pike hang. After the first set of videos I tried to pike and push instead of tipping but it didn't really help. These moves are so fast I don't have time to think at all so I think it might take a little time simply to get used to the speed before I can think about adding corrections midway through. The video also features the ugliest pullovers ever which I've never been able todo well/at all from a hang and attempts at front hip circles even though I have literally no clue how they're supposed to work. :D Looking back at it I think I'm supposed to fall with a straight body then pike then extend again? Think I need to do some underpants collecting for this one.

Also note my top notch editing skills to subtly block out my friend's face. :lol: :lol: :lol: iMovie for mobile is a great video editor.

Either way I had a lot of fun today just playing and trying random things. Nothing heavy and since my body felt better coming out of the gym than going in I'm going to call that a win too.

• Like 5

So much good stuff!

50 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also worked on handstand to forward roll which I really suck at as it goes against all my instincts.

These are really good to work on, because they are a prerequisite skill for dive rolls.  Once you can get more comfortable with these you can start working on some dive rolls which are way more fun than just simple forward/safety rolls.  Did I mention these are my favorite way to bail out of handstands?

I just don't get what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I'm in theory doing all the right movements but somehow they don't end up helping with generating power. 

When you jump, how much vertical movement is happening at your shoulders?  Some people can jump with sufficient height but don't tuck enough to get the legs up, and some people jump and tuck before generating power, so the feet come up but the shoulders don't go anywhere.  Both have trouble getting onto obstacles.  Can you get a video of your jumps?

In the first ones I'm just tipping back instead of piking and pushing back.

I looked at the video, and would suggest that if you slide your knees to the bar before you start tipping, you will be able to generate significantly more momentum.  In yours, you tip first and then stop the fall when your knees catch and it is stealing all of your momentum.

The video also features the ugliest pullovers ever which I've never been able todo well/at all from a hang and attempts at front hip circles even though I have literally no clue how they're supposed to work.

For the pullovers, it helps if you can get your chest/shoulders as close to the bar as possible before kicking your legs up.  The higher your center of balance, the easier it is to get your legs over the bar enough to get the right balance on the top.

For front hip circles, I have no clue either.  I have tried them a bunch of times and do no better than you are doing :D 

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

These are really good to work on, because they are a prerequisite skill for dive rolls.  Once you can get more comfortable with these you can start working on some dive rolls which are way more fun than just simple forward/safety rolls.  Did I mention these are my favorite way to bail out of handstands?

Oh I'm way way more comfortable with dive rolls! I love dive rolls, they're so much fun, handstand forward rolls not so much. Not a prerequisite at all!

I'm honestly not a fan of using them as a handstand bail because you don't always have the space for it, or the surface can be dangerous. Cartwheel bails can be used pretty much anywhere so I feel it's a much safer bail to get into your system.

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

When you jump, how much vertical movement is happening at your shoulders?  Some people can jump with sufficient height but don't tuck enough to get the legs up, and some people jump and tuck before generating power, so the feet come up but the shoulders don't go anywhere.  Both have trouble getting onto obstacles.  Can you get a video of your jumps?

So the shoulder thing was something that my friend pointed out today which is something I've never thought about before and helped a tiny bit. I'm not even sure I'm tucking up throughout my jump, it feels like I end up just jumping from my ankles. When I try to get onto obstacles I rely on my flexibility and ability to tuck deep rather than getting height...

I'll definitely try to get a video, I'd love my jumps to get to a non-embarrassing state. :D 

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I looked at the video, and would suggest that if you slide your knees to the bar before you start tipping, you will be able to generate significantly more momentum.  In yours you tip first and then stop the fall when you knees catch and it is stealing all of your momentum.

That's what I *tried* to do in the third video but clearly not very well haha. I'll definitely keep that cue in mind for the next time I try!

8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For the pullovers, it helps if you can get your chest/shoulders as close to the bar as possible before kicking your legs up.  The higher your center of balance, the easier it is to get your legs over the bar enough to get the right balance on the top.

Makes sense. What about doing them from a hang though? Admittedly that feels veeeery far off right now!

9 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For front hip circles, I have no clue either.  I have tried them a bunch of times and do no better than you are doing :D 

Haha too bad I was hoping for advice! @raptron HALP! :D I'd love to get this skill though because I was always jealous of the girls that could do it when I was a child and I couldn't. :P 

Oh and @WhiteGhost for the baby knee giants - is it all about getting more momentum initially? It feels like at some point you have to do something more actively to get back up. Or will that become more obvious as I get further around?

I will try to get some videos over the next couple of days for reference on the jumping, baby knee giants and pullovers to see if that helps at all.  I guess I can try some front hip circles too for some laughs :D 

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I'm way way more comfortable with dive rolls! I love dive rolls, they're so much fun, handstand forward rolls not so much. Not a prerequisite at all!

Huh, I guess we have different cues for dive rolls.  I wouldn't dare try them if I wasn't first comfortable with rolling out of a handstand.

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

I will try to get some videos over the next couple of days for reference on the jumping, baby knee giants and pullovers to see if that helps at all.  I guess I can try some front hip circles too for some laughs :D 

The problem is that it all makes sense when I watch other people do it but I have no clue what I'm doing. :D Video references are always help though.

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, I guess we have different cues for dive rolls.  I wouldn't dare try them if I wasn't first comfortable with rolling out of a handstand.

I just see them as regular forward rolls but jumping into them and the progression is straightforward as you make them bigger and bigger. But it's really the exact same movement as a forward roll. Making myself bend my arms in a handstand however feels plain WRONG. And you have to tuck so fast. In a dive roll I feel like I have loads of time.

haaaa this is such a cool video :lol: love it. I remember we did those on trapeze from a sit, backward and forward, and I had the same problems as you :D I hope I'm not remembering wrong but I think keeping the knees bent tightly help getting the bum back over, but it might not be a good tip because I was not good at those... You're almost there on your last though (0:20).

Otherwise I find rollovers much easier from a dead hang and much harder when starting from the floor!

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Otherwise I find rollovers much easier from a dead hang and much harder when starting from the floor!

Oh interesting, then again you're really strong. :D 

I never did enough aerial to learn, the only vaguely similar move I did on trapeze was monkey rolls where you wrapped your arms around the ropes which obviously made it much easier.

This is super fun to play with though!

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh interesting, then again you're really strong. :D 

give it a try, just in case ;)

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

give it a try, just in case ;)

Haha will do. :P 

To be fair I'm happy I even managed to do this shitty pull-over, they've always been such a struggle. I blame my bum. :) 

Argh you manage to be hard on yourself even when you want to be nice :lol: that was not shitty at all. You could practice them on your silks if you make a sling knot, it's quite nice to practice on. A pull-over a day keeps the doctor away :D

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Argh you manage to be hard on yourself even when you want to be nice :lol: that was not shitty at all. You could practice them on your silks if you make a sling knot, it's quite nice to practice on. A pull-over a day keeps the doctor away :D

I honestly didn't mean for it to sound like I'm being harsh on myself. Promise! It's just not very pretty. Luckily things don't have to be super pretty in parkour haha. :P 

Good idea! 

Apparently this challenge is over? Could’ve sworn it’s still week 3! I’m still not convinced this is true but let’s roll with it. ;) 

Challenge summary

I have no idea I lost track in week 2. 

I’ve going to bed on time most days, but I’m spending a lot of time not getting out of it in the morning. Something for my next challenge.

Drawing basically did not happen and I’ve been slipping on my morning habits. Mostly because of my new training schedule (hey I’ve got one of those now!) as now I aim to train every weekday morning, which means I don’t have time to both procrastinate AND do all of my morning habits. :P 

Speaking of training schedule - I’m absolutely loving mine! I can’t believe I’m saying but I’m really enjoying both having a schedule and that I take time for both strength training and myflex. I think that those two are going to make my body much happier and better prepared for all the stupid stuff I’m putting it through. :D

I also can’t remember the last time that training has been THIS much fun. I’m really embracing the beginner mindset and between acro and parkour and lifting I’m learning sooo many new things. It also seems to be spilling over to work which is cool. And I still climb, which is fun even on bad days, and I even find a bit of time to pole and to handstand and I’m just striking a pretty good balance right now. Best part is that my body seems cool with this whole training nearly every day thing which I’m both extremely amazed by and thankful for. My recovery is has been awesome lately, I don't understand why but I hope it stays that way!

While training has been going really well the rest has been slipping a little since last challenge. Not badly, but in the next challenge I’m pretty much just going to focus on the super basic habits from the previous challenge and you know, actually track them as that seems to help a lot. When the basic habits are there everything flows much easier.

My other shiny goals didn’t happen either. I did work on the fish flop a few times but it’s definitely not solid enough for me to be comfortable with it on a hard floor. I also worked on the exotic routine a few times but not frequently enough to memorize it. And while the choreo is fairly straightforward doing the moves well is really hard and will take a lot of time before I’m happy with it. Especially the ones where I need to lift my leg, I’m just not flexible and strong enough to make that look good, particularly not in heels! But I did work on it and I love that style and I'm not in a hurry. The pole PvP didn’t really happen as @lucky fire dragon sadly disappeared. :sorrow: Hopefully we can continue it once she comes back. :)

Even if the challenge itself didn't go so well it really doesn't matter as things are pretty sweet right now! Onto the next!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also can’t remember the last time that training has been THIS much fun. I’m really embracing the beginner mindset and between acro and parkour and lifting I’m learning sooo many new things. It also seems to be spilling over to work which is cool. And I still climb, which is fun even on bad days, and I even find a bit of time to pole and to handstand and I’m just striking a pretty good balance right now. Best part is that my body seems cool with this whole training nearly every day thing which I’m both extremely amazed by and thankful for. My recovery is has been awesome lately, I don't understand why but I hope it stays that way!

YES! reading this makes me so happy :) \o/ 

While training has been going really well the rest has been slipping a little since last challenge. Not badly, but in the next challenge I’m pretty much just going to focus on the super basic habits from the previous challenge and you know, actually track them as that seems to help a lot. When the basic habits are there everything flows much easier.

I'm already interested! I need some basic habits too. I've got NOTHING. (ok the laundry thing maybe)

Even if the challenge itself didn't go so well it really doesn't matter as things are pretty sweet right now! Onto the next!

\o/