• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

I went to the park this morning and took some videos.  Not sure if they will be helpful or not, but hopefully maybe a little?

Jumps:

I did 3 jumps, trying to show an example of how high I get without bending my legs, how high I get by only bending my legs (pretty much the same height) and then how high I get by doing both.  I should have jumped over the bar on the 3rd one to show just how much higher I get when combining them.  

Baby Knee Giants:

I can't get around on these, but I tried to show how to slide the knees back into position before tipping backwards.  I am still too scared to really put a lot of momentum behind it, which keeps me from getting very far around

Pull Overs:

I did two, one with a pull before and one directly from a deadhang.  Having the arms bent (almost as if doing a pullup first) makes it a lot easier to get the hips over the bar.

Front Hip Circles:

I did 2 videos, the first one was my regular attempts doing it how I learned on tutorial videos.  The second one is a cheat way that I saw some other guy doing, and although ugly is much easier to get back up.

• Like 4

Awesome videos! I love the sharing of tips, it's like we are all training in the same space, almost :)

And brilliant challenge imo, lots of energy and happiness, definitely palpable! It's particularly telling that work was also affected by your mindset shift.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did 3 jumps, trying to show an example of how high I get without bending my legs, how high I get by only bending my legs (pretty much the same height) and then how high I get by doing both.  I should have jumped over the bar on the 3rd one to show just how much higher I get when combining them.  

Hmm I get the idea but it's a little different when jumping up to a rail rather than jumping onto something. Not much of a tuck then. It does make me wonder about my takeoff though, it looks like you're putting your hips behind you while I might possibly just be squatting straight down. I'll do some experiments soon!

I can't get around on these, but I tried to show how to slide the knees back into position before tipping backwards.  I am still too scared to really put a lot of momentum behind it, which keeps me from getting very far around

Ah right, I see your point, we both slide the knees back but I'm already going down at the same time while you're pushing up. That might help for sure.

I did two, one with a pull before and one directly from a deadhang.  Having the arms bent (almost as if doing a pullup first) makes it a lot easier to get the hips over the bar.

Haha but you're using pure strength for both of these! Which I don't have at the moment. :P 

I did 2 videos, the first one was my regular attempts doing it how I learned on tutorial videos.  The second one is a cheat way that I saw some other guy doing, and although ugly is much easier to get back up.

It looks like you're just not getting a lot of momentum there? Not sure how to correct it though.

I'll give the second variation a go too, it might not look quite as cool but it still looks fun!

Cool videos, thanks! :) 

On 3/10/2019 at 12:05 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Haha too bad I was hoping for advice! @raptron HALP! :D I'd love to get this skill though because I was always jealous of the girls that could do it when I was a child and I couldn't. :P 

Front hip circles are hard and weird! The biggest thing is you want to start in a front support where your hip crease isn't what is on the bar, but instead, part of your thigh is. The extra height gives you a bit more momentum to get around. You need to kind of press through your shoulders and get your upper thigh to the bar, then leannnnn forward and try to wrap as tightly around the bar as you can. It looks like your compression/closeness to the bar is actually really good, so it is probably just the momentum you're losing out on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Front hip circles are hard and weird! The biggest thing is you want to start in a front support where your hip crease isn't what is on the bar, but instead, part of your thigh is. The extra height gives you a bit more momentum to get around. You need to kind of press through your shoulders and get your upper thigh to the bar, then leannnnn forward and try to wrap as tightly around the bar as you can. It looks like your compression/closeness to the bar is actually really good, so it is probably just the momentum you're losing out on. 

Cool, thanks so much! Even if they're weird and hard they're fun to practice so we'll see, maybe one day! :D