• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

12 hours ago, Happienumber said:

aHAHAHA oh no...

But I mean, the rest of that doesn't sound too bad. And...more knowledge is always good!!

It is, it is! And not just for me, knowledge sharing is always a good thing for everyone. And if I've been (force) given tools then it's better to understand them.

But all I wanted was an overview of the system!! Not to get pushed down a slippery slope. :P 

12 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I've been wanting to tell you these days, but I keep forgetting: you seem to be in a much better place than before concernin climbing. Do you think taking up new fun activities has helped to put less focus on your climbing performance?

Yes I do, absolutely! Both because it's less focus on climbing, but also because I know that climbing 1-2x/week isn't going to make for very fast progress so I might as well chill. :) 

The other part of it is that I'm still weak after such a long period of inactivity and I'm still in the relearning phase. It has really helped to put myself in the beginner's mindset and not put pressure on myself that I should be able to climb a certain grade or a certain climb. I'm also avoiding projecting right now, so instead of trying one climb over and over and over again I climb lots of different things. There's a lot of value in projecting, but now when I'm rebuilding it's better to get a broad baseline rather than repeatedly practicing single moves and risk hurting myself again. That also removes some pressure as sending the problems becomes secondary over the practice.

I did still throw a minor tantrum at a climb the other day, so obviously it's not perfect. :P But overall it's going well and I hope that I'll be able to keep this attitude for a while!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It has really helped to put myself in the beginner's mindset

That would help me right now...

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm also avoiding projecting right now, so instead of trying one climb over and over and over again I climb lots of different things. There's a lot of value in projecting, but now when I'm rebuilding it's better to get a broad baseline rather than repeatedly practicing single moves and risk hurting myself again.

Seems like a good strategy.

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But overall it's going well and I hope that I'll be able to keep this attitude for a while!

Let's hope! Your excitement is so contagious. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:20 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Even with my elbow I think that part of why it took such a long time to recover was because I was feeling low and wasn't ready to go back to climbing.

Oh yea.. mental well being has such a huge effect on our bodies and things that aren't ok to begin with suffer first. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:43 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Surprisingly enough the absolute worst exercise is one that targets the deep neck flexors. You lie on the back with your knees bent and a small pillow under your upper back. Then you make a double chin and lift your head ever so slightly off the floor and hold it there. It's SO HEAVY for me! And feels pretty horrible. Which probably means it's very good for me. ;) 

Remember my iffy shoulder thing? this is exactly what Jaap made me do to fix it. It's brilliant.. I've also been using it on my people that need to work on their overhead mobility.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, Mad Hatter said:

• Extremely distracted at work. Had a lot of fun chatting with people but I struggled with tackling any work tasks. Fix - umm deal with them next week, they're not going to go away? :P 

I want to be able to think that! :D 

Sympathies but also congrats for your 'new' situation at work btw ;) 

12 hours ago, zenLara said:

That would help me right now...

I wish I could come up with something awesome to say but honestly I've been struggling with this for a very long time and now I've just been forced to accept it? :P 

12 hours ago, zenLara said:

Let's hope! Your excitement is so contagious. 

Good. ;) :D

7 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Yay!! Good news!

Indeed! And if not I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. :D 

43 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Oh yea.. mental well being has such a huge effect on our bodies and things that aren't ok to begin with suffer first. 

It's not like I made it up, but it was a very convenient excuse... It's all so messy and so very interesting.

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Remember my iffy shoulder thing? this is exactly what Jaap made me do to fix it. It's brilliant.. I've also been using it on my people that need to work on their overhead mobility.

Huh, really? That's very cool. I didn't realize overhead mobility and dodgy shoulders were related to this!

49 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I want to be able to think that! :D 

My todo list doesn't lie. :P However many times I distractedly look at it it's like the items just won't go away! Well until I do them....

51 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Sympathies but also congrats for your 'new' situation at work btw ;) 

Haha we'll see about this development! Maybe it won't be so bad? :blink:

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Huh, really? That's very cool. I didn't realize overhead mobility and dodgy shoulders were related to this!

As I understand it, upper traps can overcompensate for weak deep neck flexors, which can pull scapulae out of whack, which effs up the shoulders & thoracic flexibility. Also associated with forward head position, which can muck up overhead mobility because of that whole muscle chain. Good times.

EDIT: I'm a big fan of this explanation & exercise as well, mostly because I'm SO bad at these and it's super easy for me to use the wrong muscles. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Defining said:

EDIT: I'm a big fan of this explanation & exercise as well, mostly because I'm SO bad at these and it's super easy for me to use the wrong muscles.

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, Defining said:

As I understand it, upper traps can overcompensate for weak deep neck flexors, which can pull scapulae out of whack, which effs up the shoulders & thoracic flexibility. Also associated with forward head position, which can muck up overhead mobility because of that whole muscle chain. Good times.

Cheers, that makes sense.

Just booked my flight to Iran - SQUEEEE! So exciting!

Yesterday I played on the pole and messed around with cartwheels because why not? I continued to learn the exotic pole routine and afterwards my butt and legs got really sore from standing on my tip toes at super awkward angles. Love it! I was also good and did some conditioning, this time specific to shoulder mounts, and I worked on a few suuuper basic spins. While I have access to these classes I thought that instead of jumping to the cool tricks I'd spend some time revisiting the basics, and spins have never been my strong point. It was nice going back to basics, you always learn something new or in a different light.

In the evening I went to a friend's house warming party. I was a bit hesitant to go because I was feeling kinda anti social, but I had already said yes and decided I might as well go for a bit. It ended up good fun, though honestly I spent 90% of my time talking to my close friends which barely counts as being social haha. :P Needless to say it went past my bedtime.

Saturday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Pole
  • Cartwheels
  • Went to a party even though part of me felt like hermiting.
  • Went outside for a short walk even though it was extremely gross outside
  • Chatted with a friend in Australia I don't often talk to

Negative action

• I got overwhelmed by all the things I wanted to do that I ended up procrastinating for most of the day. :hopelessness: And I didn't draw yet again.

Current stats

• Go to bed already 4/6
  • Get out of bed already 6/7
  • Doodle 4/7
  • Flexy 2/2
  • Breakfast 6/7
  • Morning warm up 6/7
  • Like 4

Climbing was so much fun today! I felt much stronger than last time and had a bunch of little wins. 

• After multiple attempts I finally did the stupid climb that I got angry about last time, the one that should've been exactly my thing but for some reason I just could.not.get. Stupid climb. :P And no I won't admit that it was kinda fun once I got it. And not hard at all.
  • I'm maybe possibly starting to understand this press move that felt 100% impossible last time. Now it's only at 60% impossible.
  • I sort of finished a next level up problem! I say sort of because the ending was very tricky to match and while I did do it it wouldn't have quite counted in say a comp setting. But I don't care I'm counting it. :D It was a welcome confidence boost that one day I might be able to climb harder things again.
  • Generally tried hard and pushed myself. Except for that first problem, my friends had to push me to try that one again haha.
  • Like 6

On 2/10/2019 at 1:25 AM, Mad Hatter said:

On 2/10/2019 at 4:05 AM, Defining said:

Actually I don't think it's really got anything to do with a muscle imbalance.. Jaap explained it to me as simply realigning the spine. A misaligned spine will pull the scapulae out of whack which will indeed eff up the shoulders & thoracic flexibility. 

If it was a muscle imbalance it wouldn't fix things straight away either. I think practicing the movement might help make the change more permanent.. but just doing the exercise for 20 reps makes the shoulder pain go away instantly, so there's definitely more going on there than just training underused muscles. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

In the evening I went to a friend's house warming party. I was a bit hesitant to go because I was feeling kinda anti social, but I had already said yes and decided I might as well go for a bit. It ended up good fun, though honestly I spent 90% of my time talking to my close friends which barely counts as being social haha. :P Needless to say it went past my bedtime.

Ofcourse it counts! Just not socially adventurous, but social enough ;) 

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Gravity is arbitrary :P 

I have a master's degree in physics but I'm still questioning the gravitational constant.

17 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

If it was a muscle imbalance it wouldn't fix things straight away either. I think practicing the movement might help make the change more permanent.. but just doing the exercise for 20 reps makes the shoulder pain go away instantly, so there's definitely more going on there than just training underused muscles. 

Good point. But even if the chain of events is different in different cases, it still ends up with messed up shoulders.

17 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Ofcourse it counts! Just not socially adventurous, but social enough ;) 

Heh I'll take that. :P

On 2/10/2019 at 4:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

AHHH SO EXCITING!

Yesterday I played on the pole and messed around with cartwheels because why not? 

Yesss. :D 

It was nice going back to basics, you always learn something new or in a different light.

Training the basics is so underrated. :)

So it turns out that my colleague hadn't forgotten our conversation over the weekend and today he held an all day workshop for me. OH MY WORD MY BRAIN IS SO FRIED! Complete information overload. Especially since I barely know the basic terms, it's all sorta kinda knowledge that I've gained through office osmosis during the years, which is not the same as actually knowing it. It was just A LOT. After the workshop I sat around for an hour in the kitchen doing bugger all waiting for our p.m. meeting haha. 

Definitely feel like I've just been pushed down the cliff that I only wanted to look at the view from. :P 

Good thing I had a super high energy day, sad thing is that I didn't manage to get to the office early enough for some lifting. I played a little bit just before lunch but I didn't want to get sweaty so it was super easy. A few single pull-ups, a few sets of bench dips and barbell squats with just the bar, a set of reverse lunges with a small weight. Not sure how much our dumbbells weigh. A set of Bulgarian split squats which I didn't like because they're too similar to an exercise in my flexy program and I don't want to mix up the forms which I already find tricky enough. Keeping one leg microbent and the other super straight is hard on my brain haha.

Quite looking forward to start doing proper workouts! But I'll have to come in early in the morning. Partly because it's the best time for me, partly as punishment for my colleague pushing me down the cliff. :D He always comes in early in the morning to get some work done, when it's quiet. Not so much anymore. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Yesssss. :D

It was nice going back to basics, you always learn something new or in a different light.

PREACH. Something I needed to read since my homework for the next 2.5 weeks is to build a completely different muscle memory for walking in dance.

FACT CHECK: Totally counts as being social. Time with close friends is good to balance out the making new friends time!

Saturday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Pole
  • Cartwheels
  • Went to a party even though part of me felt like hermiting.
  • Went outside for a short walk even though it was extremely gross outside
  • Chatted with a friend in Australia I don't often talk to

So many positives!

Negative action

• I got overwhelmed by all the things I wanted to do that I ended up procrastinating for most of the day. :hopelessness: And I didn't draw yet again.

Hugs! Can unfortunately totally relate to the paralysis in the face of wanting to do so many things.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Definitely feel like I've just been pushed down the cliff that I only wanted to look at the view from. :P 

Yay for drinking from a fire hose? :P

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Quite looking forward to start doing proper workouts! But I'll have to come in early in the morning. Partly because it's the best time for me, partly as punishment for my colleague pushing me down the cliff. :D He always comes in early in the morning to get some work done, when it's quiet. Not so much anymore. :P 

Please adopt the most obnoxious gym bro grunt while you lift. I want to hear the stories that come out of that!

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

PREACH. Something I needed to read since my homework for the next 2.5 weeks is to build a completely different muscle memory for walking in dance.

That must be so difficult to unlearn muscle memory for something as basic as walking!

Yay for drinking from a fire hose? :P

:lol:

Please adopt the most obnoxious gym bro grunt while you lift. I want to hear the stories that come out of that!

Oh I was already practicing in front of him today. It's going to be great. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That must be so difficult to unlearn muscle memory for something as basic as walking!

Haha indeed - though the rumba walk gets tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked over a dancer's career, so I'm somewhat used to it? Dance is weird.

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I was already practicing in front of him today. It's going to be great. :D 

YUSSSSSSS. :D

Oh, random side question: my analytics team (knows some coding, but decidedly NOT software engineers in terms of how we write or store data analysis code) is starting to attempt to use a git tool (specifically gitlab) to manage our BAU reporting and probably our ongoing project work. Any advice as someone who's infinitely more techy than myself? Our collective knowledge is approximately 0 here.

Parkour was weird today. I kept switching between failing the simplest things when I was trying to think, to doing ok as soon as I stopped thinking. :P It was actually really nice, I feel like this was the first time that I got a tiny bit of flow into my lines, didn't hesitate between obstacles and didn't use my hands for balance when I didn't need them. In other words like I was doing real baby parkour! :D 

I also didn't hesitate to jump onto the taller obstacles, not super tall maybe waist or hip height, but I haven't really been committing to them before and either stepped up onto them or dragged my foot. Today I didn't have the mental capacity to overthink it and just did it. And I didn't even need to commit as it really isn't that hard. 

The thing however about flow and not half assing obstacles is that it gets really tiring. So much running! :o This class felt so much heavier than all the other classes, except maybe the initial trial class. We also ended the class with conditioning this time - 3 rounds of toes to bar (I did the ugliest toes to bar you've ever seen), long jumps and what I'm going to call monkey plant burpees. You start lying down on your back, do a crunch, roll up, pop up onto a box, stand up, get down, repeat. It got hard pretty quickly but it was really fun. :) Good timing that I could actually do the monkey plants easily today.

Swings were hard though and I couldn't get the timing right for when to push off. I also fell on my bum because I had forgotten trainers and my feet were sweaty and gross and I suck at swings. My elbow took a little jolt but I think it's fine. I also kept screwing up this pretty easy precision series. Oh well, win some, lose some! Overall it was a heavy class, but really good and I felt like a bit of progress is happening!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I kept switching between failing the simplest things when I was trying to think, to doing ok as soon as I stopped thinking

I feel like I could learn a lesson here...if only I could turn my brain off on command. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I kept switching between failing the simplest things when I was trying to think, to doing ok as soon as I stopped thinking.

I find this true for a lot of things beyond just parkour.  

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I did the ugliest toes to bar you've ever seen

I'd be willing to wager a fairly vast sum that mine are uglier :P