• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

10 hours ago, Jett said:

Oof, that sounds like some really tough/tiring activities. Still sounds super fun, though!

It was awesome, I absolutely love these classes! :D

It's just that my cardio is shite hahaha.

10 hours ago, sylph said:

I feel like I could learn a lesson here...if only I could turn my brain off on command. ;)

Heh right. Frying your brain out beforehand doesn't sound like the sustainable option.

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I find this true for a lot of things beyond just parkour.  

I'd be willing to wager a fairly vast sum that mine are uglier :P 

So true.

Haha this time I really don't think so. They might be on par. ;) It was all bent legs, flexed feet, and all the swing. I've never been good at them but right now the required strength is completely gone. But hey, the task was to do them as explosively as possible, not as pretty as possible. :P 

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I was already practicing in front of him today. It's going to be great. :D 

:lol: any reaction?

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

It was awesome, I absolutely love these classes! :D

It's just that my cardio is shite hahaha.

I was just thinking about that, because it sounds like a blast! But that would be an acceptable way to train cardio imo :P

14 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Oh, random side question: my analytics team (knows some coding, but decidedly NOT software engineers in terms of how we write or store data analysis code) is starting to attempt to use a git tool (specifically gitlab) to manage our BAU reporting and probably our ongoing project work. Any advice as someone who's infinitely more techy than myself? Our collective knowledge is approximately 0 here.

I recently starting playing with GitLab (CE) because it appears on lots of ads where I will be moving for work.  So far so good but I haven't done anything complicated with it. I have previous xp on subversion + TRAC mostly, and it was easy to adapt and the setup was pretty seamless. I haven't looked into their CI stuff though.

34 minutes ago, @mu said:

:lol: any reaction?

Oh he's overjoyed. :lol:

34 minutes ago, @mu said:

I was just thinking about that, because it sounds like a blast! But that would be an acceptable way to train cardio imo :P

'Tis the assassin way to train. Oh and dancing. Dancing is also acceptable cardio.

15 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Oh, random side question: my analytics team (knows some coding, but decidedly NOT software engineers in terms of how we write or store data analysis code) is starting to attempt to use a git tool (specifically gitlab) to manage our BAU reporting and probably our ongoing project work. Any advice as someone who's infinitely more techy than myself? Our collective knowledge is approximately 0 here.

I've only used GitHub (with Jenkins for CI), though it seems like it's pretty similar. But I've only used the basic functionality so not sure if I have anything useful to say about it. Should be pretty straightforward to set up from docs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

We use GitLab at work, what do you need to know? :) 

5 pages?!!! it is Tuesday of week 1 isn't it? Ah, yes you started last week already,... but still :o

There is so much awesome and high spirits in all 5 pages, it's delicious to read even :cheerful: Jeez, you are progressing into the parkour thing so quickly! 

So happy that the flex program seems so perfect for you, that is fantastic.

And yay to the climbing fun and office fun and all the positive actions and how you are bouncing off all the shiny things with all your amazing energy.

So much happiness :wub:

8 hours ago, @mu said:

I recently starting playing with GitLab (CE) because it appears on lots of ads where I will be moving for work.  So far so good but I haven't done anything complicated with it. I have previous xp on subversion + TRAC mostly, and it was easy to adapt and the setup was pretty seamless. I haven't looked into their CI stuff though.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've only used GitHub (with Jenkins for CI), though it seems like it's pretty similar. But I've only used the basic functionality so not sure if I have anything useful to say about it. Should be pretty straightforward to set up from docs.

I should've clarified - we have an IT department to do the actual software setup stuff (thank goodness, it is not something I've learned to have patience for). This was more "how should my team set up our folders / how should we think about branching and merging so that we don't drive ourselves insane?" We've got a buncha BAU (~200 reports by one person's estimate) plus ~20 analysts with various projects in-flight, so things could quickly get out of hand without a good repo / subrepo strategy (are they called subrepos? I know none of the relevant terms here).

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

We use GitLab at work, what do you need to know? :) 

See the question above - it's less Git specific, and more philosophically, how do y'all approach large, shared workspaces with lots of files?

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I should've clarified - we have an IT department to do the actual software setup stuff (thank goodness, it is not something I've learned to have patience for). This was more "how should my team set up our folders / how should we think about branching and merging so that we don't drive ourselves insane?" We've got a buncha BAU (~200 reports by one person's estimate) plus ~20 analysts with various projects in-flight, so things could quickly get out of hand without a good repo / subrepo strategy (are they called subrepos? I know none of the relevant terms here).

See the question above - it's less Git specific, and more philosophically, how do y'all approach large, shared workspaces with lots of files?

Now, I'm only used to working with actual source code, not reports. But 200 reports (200 files?) is not that many :)  Will several people be working on the same file at once? Or do everyone pretty much only work on their own stuff?

(What even is BAU? Google says "Business as Usual", but that doesn't seem to fit in this context...)

On 2/10/2019 at 4:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Just booked my flight to Iran - SQUEEEE! So exciting!

dfjdshlsadjgha;g ! !!!!   AAAAHHHHHH!!!! YAY!!!

On 2/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I have a master's degree in physics but I'm still questioning the gravitational constant.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:19 AM, Mad Hatter said:

So it turns out that my colleague hadn't forgotten our conversation over the weekend and today he held an all day workshop for me. OH MY WORD MY BRAIN IS SO FRIED! Complete information overload. Especially since I barely know the basic terms, it's all sorta kinda knowledge that I've gained through office osmosis during the years, which is not the same as actually knowing it. It was just A LOT. After the workshop I sat around for an hour in the kitchen doing bugger all waiting

Oh....Oh dear.

LOL.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:40 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I feel like this was the first time that I got a tiny bit of flow into my lines, didn't hesitate between obstacles and didn't use my hands for balance when I didn't need them. In other words like I was doing real baby parkour! :D 

I also didn't hesitate to jump onto the taller obstacles, not super tall maybe waist or hip height, but I haven't really been committing to them before and either stepped up onto them or dragged my foot. Today I didn't have the mental capacity to overthink it and just did it. And I didn't even need to commit as it really isn't that hard. 

YAY!!! You are progressing so fast on this! Congradulations! You are gonna be a parkour expert in like no time! What is this, class three? Four? 

10 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That would be a very good idea for document management as well because you could branch/diff/merge and release as you please. Something coming to mind though: what is the format of those reports? If there are binaries or encoded in a proprietary format (e.g. Office), you would be able to do version control but you wouldn't be able to diff and merge on the content off-the-shelf. In that case, you might want to check that GitLab has a plugin or that third-party tools exist to process those reports on the content level.

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

What, kettlebell sport does not make the list of acceptable cardio? :grey:

Well, for my low reps brain, 10mn of reps sounds a tad bit terrifying :P But I would have  to give it a try to be fair. It certainly sounds challenging in a painful way, which is somewhat oddly attractive :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Just booked my flight to Iran - SQUEEEE! So exciting!

You're going to Iran?! When? For how long?

On 2/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Climbing was so much fun today! I

I totally loved this post :)

On 2/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I kept switching between failing the simplest things when I was trying to think, to doing ok as soon as I stopped thinking.

I have trouble with this "letting go" thing... At self-defence they insisted a lot in that I should stop thinking and let my body do the moves on its own. I managed sometimes with eskrima moves (mainly when it involved sticks), but I've always thought that I need to reach a great amount of automation before I can accomplish that :(

On 2/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Mad Hatter said:

In other words like I was doing real baby parkour! :D 

Imagen relacionada

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

There is so much awesome and high spirits in all 5 pages, it's delicious to read even :cheerful: Jeez, you are progressing into the parkour thing so quickly! 

So happy that the flex program seems so perfect for you, that is fantastic.

And yay to the climbing fun and office fun and all the positive actions and how you are bouncing off all the shiny things with all your amazing energy.

So much happiness :wub:

I'm loving the new and shiny phase! :D 

14 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Don't overstructure it, it's not that many reports, one repo is fine. Just make sure that everyone adheres to naming conventions and use some kind of logical divisions for the reports. But avoid nesting them too much. For the projects it depends on if they shared or individual. But same thing applies, don't overcomplicate it. If there's a logical division between the projects and they contain many files then perhaps they should be in individual repos, if they're small it can go in the same one and make sure that it's clear which project is which. 

12 hours ago, Happienumber said:

YAY!!! You are progressing so fast on this! Congradulations! You are gonna be a parkour expert in like no time! What is this, class three? Four? 

Hahahaa hardly. :D But it's nice to see some change, a little confidence boost for sure. :) I think class 5 now?

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

What, kettlebell sport does not make the list of acceptable cardio? :grey:

Well on one hand you're swinging heavy things around which is cool. But it does sound extremely brutal. Which is totally acceptable if you're a masochist. :P 

9 minutes ago, zenLara said:

You're going to Iran?! When? For how long?

I totally loved this post :)

I have trouble with this "letting go" thing... At self-defence they insisted a lot in that I should stop thinking and let my body do the moves on its own. I managed sometimes with eskrima moves (mainly when it involved sticks), but I've always thought that I need to reach a great amount of automation before I can accomplish that :(

Imagen relacionada

10 days around Easter!!! :D 

It's hard, and some days (like today) are much harder than others.

• Like 3

Yesterday everything got a bit wonky. First I procrastinated getting out of bed because I was sore and the bed was soft. :P Bit of a fail there. As a result it got too late to do my flexy work before my real work. Which I also procrastinated because learning complex stuff requires a lot of brain power and you know, first I need coffee, then this then that then handstands. And of course once I got started I got stuck into it which meant I had to start flexy training much later than I wanted to, considering it takes about 2 hours.

This time the program felt much more intense, partly because I was a bit sore and stiff from parkour, partly because now that I'm more familiar with the exercises and figured out all the props I could do them at a higher intensity. It was good though and two things are already very noticeable. The first is that my shoulders are getting back to normal, which I can tell because I don't have to compensate oddly to reach all the places on my back in the shower. :lol: Yes they had gotten that bad. The second is that for some reason my middle splits are progressing much more quickly than I want them to. Which might sounds ridiculous, but my active/passive gap is humongous for middle splits and in three sessions I've gone from approximately the tallest side of a yoga block between the floor and my crotch to the shortest side, which makes the gap even bigger. I.e. the opposite of what I want. 

Acro this morning was rough! For the past few days I've been waking up at 3-4 am because I'm so HUNGRY but today I couldn't fall back asleep. So my body was tired and sore, my brain was tired, and even though I apparently did all the things I just couldn't feel it. My teacher was great though, he noticed that something was off and checked in with me and kept reassuring me that I was doing things right. This felt like a prime example of my head taking over too much. 

A lot of the stuff that we did today was repeat from last time, but we had a new warm up exercise which was super frustrating when you're sleep deprived at 8 am. We put two small wooden blocks (1x2x5cm ish), stacked on on top of the other on the floor, stood on them and balanced. Which was hard enough on its own but the point was to keep moving and balancing at the same time. But at least we got a beautiful sunrise view while we did it! :D The silly jump of the day was a sort of "front flip" breakfall? Basically you stand on a mat, drive one leg behind you to initiate forward rotation and splat with your back onto the mat with arms extended. Then we did that but with a diagonal take off which I'm not sure I got right.

Monday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Learnt a bunch of stuff at work
  • Played with weights at work
  • Cooked lunch in the morning so I wouldn't have to buy premade lunch
  • Cooked a proper dinner after parkour instead of resorting to sandwiches
  • Compromised on tidying the kitchen before bed, didn't clean up after making dinner, but at least I ran the dishwasher
  • Parkour! I forgot to mention two tiny detail which are positive actions. :) One was that I consciously used my right leg to step onto the boxes, I tend to strongly favour my left more flexible leg. The second one was that I did something creative during a game of add on. I kind of dismissed it at the time but seeing creativity is a struggle area for me I want to note it in my tiny win category.

Tuesday positive actions

• Eventually went through code for new complex stuff even though my procrastination factor was extremely high
  • Cooked real food after training
  • Didn't skip flexy training even when it got late
  • Drew 11 token circles. :P And discovered that it's in fact quite hard to draw circles.
  • Five handstand kickups :D Then I had to stop myself as I was supposed to work

Negative action - Procrastinated all day! I don't have a good fix, except stopping it. :P 

Current stats

• Go to bed already 2/7 (will miss today as well)
  • Get out of bed already 2/7
  • Doodle 1/7
  • Flexy 1/2
  • Breakfast 3/7
  • Morning warm up 3/7

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Juliea Scott said:

I like the title of the topic..

I'm glad considering it's such a cop out title. :P  Welcome to the forums!

30 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

I love that handstands were a « have to do » have to have coffee, have to do handstands.... emoji16.png

Everything becomes Very Important when you're procrastinating. :P I do need to find a way of fitting them into some kind of regular practice though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, raptron said:

Umm, I love this kick splat concept from acro. :D 

And, it sounds like you might need a pre-bedtime snack!  

I really don't have better words haha. :D 

My pre bed time "snack" has been full on dinner for the past few days. :o 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Drawing circles freehand is so hard . Mine always look lopsided. I once attempted a drawing book and that was one of the first lessons. I got frustrated and quit ( but that was before I developed my superppower of tenacity:smile-new:)

• Like 2

I just realized I haven't been keeping up with your challenge!

Parkour sounds like so much fun! It's something I've always wanted to try. Maybe once I get out of school...

On 2/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, Elastigirl said:

Drawing circles freehand is so hard . Mine always look lopsided. I once attempted a drawing book and that was one of the first lessons. I got frustrated and quit ( but that was before I developed my superppower of tenacity:smile-new:)

It's so hard!

On 2/13/2019 at 9:56 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Awesome on the parkour front - and only you would be mad that you're progressing *too* fast in flexibility! :P

Haha if it were my active flexibility that improved that fast I'd be thrilled. :P 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, KB Girl said:

Hm your positive action lists are getting longer :)

Even on wonky days! 

Trying!

On 2/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, Asa Pond said:

I just realized I haven't been keeping up with your challenge!

Parkour sounds like so much fun! It's something I've always wanted to try. Maybe once I get out of school...

LOL you make school sound like prison. :D 

Struggling to find time to post but all is good!

Wednesday I went to the cinema to see Free Solo, a documentary about Alex Honnold, a climber who made headlines last year for climbing El Cap a crazy big cliff (about 1 km) of hard climbing - without ropes. It was so good, highly recommended even for non-climbers as he's such an interesting and funny guy and it's just really frickin' cool. 

Thursday was another wonky day. I started working really early, for about 2 hours and then I started on my flexy program. I got through all the lower body modules before getting desperate to go outside as it was really nice and sunny. So I did, but it ended up the most awful walk ever. 

The roads were sooo slippery, it was all covered in slick ice with huge bumps which made it very unpredictable on top of the slipperiness. At one point I started walking up the tiniest incline and I literally couldn't take a step. So I ended up walking through the snow on the side, which was very crusty but only held my weight about every other step. The other step was a surprise whether my foot would fall through the snow to my ankles or to my knees. By the time I ended up at the cafe I wanted to eat lunch at I was sweaty and a bit grumpy because it just really wasn't pleasant. 

Then I got sucked into work deep, missed climbing and didn't stop working until 9 or 10 pm. Oops.

Friday was fun, I completely shocked the two morning people at work by coming into the gym at 9. :D Got a light but solid workout in of push-ups, dips, pull-ups, inverted rows, squats and deadlifts. Plus a few wall HS conditioning drills. I also tried a few weighted step ups but adding weight to the dumbbells was really annoying so I ditched them.

My favourite thing about the gym was that my colleague joined in! And she seemed to like it! I love it so much that she's not scared of the squat rack anymore and how hard she worked on the exercises. Amusing moment - at one point she was saying that legs are so much easier than upper body work, her legs don't get tired anywhere near as fast. So I told her to add weight. The look of surprise on her face when she realized just how much her butt had to work was priceless. :D I do hope that she'll stick with it because I think she'd really benefit from it, and not just physically but also mentally.

Today was ridiculous. I woke up before 5 am because I was starving. Again. And that was even though I purposefully had a giant pizza for dinner. But I woke with ALL the energy. I did laundry, I cleaned my entire flat including scrubbing the floors, I did the shoulder section of the module that I missed in my flexy program, I poled, I had two breakfasts, spontaneous dance breaks and this was before my friend came over brunch. Then I made crepes with bacon and real maple syrup that he'd brought over from Canada.

I'm really glad I managed to do everything today because I've been feeling like everything's slipping and like I can't get my shit together. Today was a good reset.

After that climbing! When I started I felt like I had more energy than concentration and thought it might end up a disaster session, but I had so much fun! I tried *really* hard, on climbs that were pretty much all above my pay grade. I'm very happy about one climb that was at my current max grade, but in a style that I'm not comfortable with at all - very powerful, dynamic compression moves. Pretty cool! I also worked on a dyno that's way too hard for me, but I wanted the practice anyway. I couldn't even touch it, but I did commit to my jumps as best as I could and I think my attempts were a lot better than usual. My friend didn't even laugh which is quite a win! So I'm very happy with that. Then I just did a loooooot of failing haha. But failing hard and now my body is absolutely spent! Feels great to be able to push hard again in climbing, such a nice feeling.

Wednesday positive actions

• Cinema
  • Dinner with friends
  • Morning acro
  • Showing my friend her training program and that she got excited about it!

Negative action - I let frustration get the better of me in acro. Not really badly, but it was unnecessary. - Fix, remember that it's for fun and that it's ok to have bad days

Thursday positive actions

• 3/4 flexy program
  • Lunch time forest walk even if it sucked
  • Burger for lunch
  • Not sure if it was such a good thing - but work flow. And I finally started breaking things. Breaking stuff is a great way to learn.

Negative action - Worked for way, way too long and too late => missed climbing, let my flat succumb to chaos. - Fix ???

Friday positive actions

• Morning gym
  • "Coaching" my friend
  • Played with parkour rolls after chatting with my parkour colleague 
  • Successed at the stuff I was working on on Thursday

Negative - Combo of first badly procrastinating at work and then obsessing about it once I started  - Fix ???

Saturday positive actions

• All the adulting
  • All the climbing
  • Poling
  • Brunch
  • Just all of it :D 

Negative - I've been struggling with fitting in morning meditations this week and only done token mini evening ones which don't seem to do that much for me. - Fix do it the first thing in the morning rather waiting for x thing.

Current stats

• Go to bed already 5/7
  • Get out of bed already 5/7
  • Doodle 2/7 Oh no this is really not going great!
  • Flexy almost 2/2
  • Breakfast 6/7
  • Morning warm up 6/7
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Just all of it :D 

YESSSSS

You are having so many more wins than losses this week. Even though you felt you weren't getting it together, you're really having a statistically good week ;P 

56 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Then I made crepes with bacon and real maple syrup that he'd brought over from Canada.

YUM. Real maple syrup is the only maple syrup  :D Ever tried grade B maple syrup? 

It is

SO much better than grade A. 

57 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've been struggling with fitting in morning meditations this week

Do you drink coffee? And if so, how do you brew your coffee? I do my meditation while my coffee is steeping- is there some time like that where you can fit it in that's otherwise a "waiting" time?

59 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I finally started breaking things. Breaking stuff is a great way to learn.

HAHAHAH yes, yes it is. What parts of it are you breaking?