• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

On 2/25/2019 at 9:53 PM, KB Girl said:

The heels mostly help with staying more upright. Powerlifters squat with the bar lower on their back and therefor the angle of their back is much more forward, that's why they either use flat shoes or only a slightly elevated heel (aptly called powerlifting shoes). Olympic lifters front squat a lot, which is far more upright of course.. but they also do back squats with the bar much higher up their back (i.e. high-bar back squats) that require far more ankle flexibility. So they use a higher heel (i.e. weightlifting shoes). 

I've noticed the difference between barefoot shoes and actual barefeet too.. you wouldn't expect it, but it's definitely there. 

Cool, so I was on the right track but I love the detailed explanation! Thanks!

I forgot to try shoes vs barefoot last time. It definitely felt more stable with shoes at the same weight but I can't tell if it's the shoes or day form.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Your parkour classes sound SO FUN

They're the best! You would absolutely LOVE them!!!

On 2/26/2019 at 4:46 AM, @mu said:

oh my, that's high! I have done the grip of death from my parallettes and they are just 20cm high :D

Haha yeah I would too even on low ones. :D I suspect you get used to it pretty quickly though.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:31 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I'm quite surprised that you only just tried a one arm cartwheel for the first time.  For me it was the first thing I wanted to try after I learned the 2 hand version

This is another one of those things that I am too chicken to try.  My brain keeps telling me that I will lose my grip as soon as I start going backwards, and even though I know that isn't true my brain seems to be convinced that it is.

Also, going back a few pages I had a question but I can't be bothered to go back and quote it.  You mentioned something about a gap between active and passing stretching.  What does that mean?

I don't know why I've never tried them, I guess just because my cartwheels were never that great. But I was in a cartwheely mood so I did soooo many and then I just went for it.

Yeah I get that. Though with a crash pad underneath me I only bailed on one attempt and by attempt number 3 I was fine.

The gap between active and passive flexibility is for example the difference between doing a split on the floor (passive + floor/gravity assisted) and being able to do a split in the air say in a split jump or hanging off of a bar. Or the difference between you holding your leg up in front of you vs having someone pushing it up. My program is heavily based on this passive/active gap. The bigger the gap basically the larger the risk of injury as it basically means you have RoM that you can't control.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:24 AM, Tobbe said:

Wow! I am impressed! How/why did I miss this earlier!? :D  You rock!

Thanks! :D:D :D 

On 2/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Suzaqu said:

I've never heard of this sciatic nerve issue impacting flexibility, I'm going to have to do some underpants gathering of my own! I'm also working on my forward fold and always have had trouble (though I know part of it is from tightness in my shins that stems from my messed up arches). MadHatter dropping knowledge!

Yeah it was huge for me when I found out! But since I don't suffer from it I just put it aside in my underpants collection. :P 

Hmm your shins shouldn't really affect forward folds, though your calves might....

On 2/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, raptron said:

SEE! It's easy to accidentally do. :P

I always hope you are going to come away from one of these and say "IT TURNS OUT THE ANSWER IS THIS MAGICAL THING THAT YOU DO ONCE AND THEN YOU HAVE PERFECT HANDSTANDS FOREVER." :P

STILL COOL. ;)

Do your feet go inside or outside your hands? Either way, they're fun things!!! So fun! And it's always so interesting to see how parkour/ninja people generate momentum for these things in much different ways than gymnasts do. :) 

COOKIES! 

It is!!!

Right, I paid money to get a magic pill. :lol:

Heh trying to. I need more flippy skills yo!

Outside, though I guess you could do it inside as well. Fun, but the release will definitely take time to figure out! 

Yeah for sure. I definitely did a double take when the teacher told me to bend my legs behind me to generate more momentum. I mean I haven't done gymnastics but man that would be frowned upon in circus haha. :D Honestly one of the nice thing about parkour is that you don't ever have to worry about little things like pointing your toes. :P As long as it works and/or looks cool. ;) 

On 2/27/2019 at 5:58 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I watched that cirquephysio video and I learned sooooo much.  Now I know why my stretching has been so uncomfortable (nerve tension rather than muscle tightness) and why it has been so hard for me to see any progress (tension on both ends simultaneously is not ideal ofr nerve tension).  Now I need to go find some more resources for addressing nerve tension 

Awesome!!!

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Super easy - especially if you have multiple fitness-y things you like doing!

If only! :P

MH, that's SUPER EXCITING on the coding front - this is the first time in a while you've felt this excited by work, no? Loved reading your updates, the excitement for new projects and climbing / parkour / lifting progress was awesome.

FWIW, my best strength (and muscle mass) progress has been on the simplest, most bare-bones programs I've run - I think there may be a correlation there where less is actually more?

Hah for sure!

Yeah it's been a loooong, long time since I felt good about my work. Now I'm learning a whole bunch of stuff, in two completely different areas, and using new shiny tools. And overall I already feel much better about my skills as they're becoming more well rounded and I gain more independence and ability to get shit done. I mean I did before as well, but I felt more tied up in area and I really missed being able to just do all of it. It's much more fun being able to poke around everywhere you want. :) 

Guess it all depends! But for me it's perfect right now. Just gonna milk those sweet noob gains. ;) 

• Like 1

So I'm having great difficulty in keeping my shit together right now. While it's great that work has become much more interesting, it comes with the side effect that I keep ending up on coding benders. As a result all challenge things are going to hell, and this week my workouts have taken a toll as well.

Monday was an awesome parkour class again though. It was just me and my teacher again, which is super weird but I love hanging out with her so fine by me. :D The worst part about it was that since we were only two people, there was a lot of running involved. A lot. That's ok because it's fun running, but the bad thing was that while I'm all tomato faced and dying she's just doing her skippety hoppety thing and not even breaking a sweat. I really hope I won't have to pick up running to keep up. :P 

We did a bunch of recap.

She made me stand up on the high rail (~2.5 m) which was terrifying even with a box underneath me. Getting up felt SO solid on the low bars, but when I tried to stand up on the high bar it felt nearly impossible. Part of it was that it was scary to gaze into the abyss, which meant that I ended up shifting my normal focal point => different movement. Once I realized that it went a little better, but it was still very hard to make myself do it. It's super weird how much worse my balance was. I'm sure part of it is simply fear, but I also wonder about the effect of gazing far away from me compared to a point relatively close. It seems like that could make for quite a big difference simply because of geometry.

Anywho, she also made up a game of the floor is lava with "save points" that we had to touch. In the first round it was getting around in any way we could. In the second we were either not allowed to use our hands between the save points OR we weren't allowed to use one of our legs. It was ridiculously fun and super hard. We actually ended up solving one of the challenges together which was super fun! :D 

Then I did some work on kongs/cat passes because she noticed that I'm *really* close to being able to do them. I just need a little more guts to lean forward I think. Which is intimidating because that just brings my head closer to the ground. :P 

After the class we ended up in a big discussion about gender and body image which is always fun times. :D 

• Like 3

Oh Monday was also squat day! And I did two solid pull-ups. They're coming back, but sloooowly.

Tuesday ended up coding day and I missed everything. :( I was just going to look at this one thing at 8 am and I didn't leave the computer until 8 pm. At least. It's fun but it really messes up everything.

Wednesday I was suuuper tired because obviously I couldn't sleep well. So I missed my morning acro class. Sad face. I thought I could do something in the evening as I got a burst of energy after lunch, but when I got home I ended up feeling kinda sick. So I just rested. Boring. :P 

Today was great though! I decided to CHILL and not start work until my normal hour. Started doing some new stuff, but then I had an implementation question which lead to a discussion and we decided to change the strategy completely. We're going to do this new thing together instead, but tomorrow as today was remote day. Which meant that I didn't get obsessive about work. ;) I did however fix my first dev ops bug and it was such a tiny thing but it felt oddly satisfying being able to find it and fix and not bother my colleague about it.

Then it was CLIMBING! I had such a fun session, today I really felt like the parkour is having an impact on my climbing for the first time. There was one mantle start for one of the problems, where you have to press really hard or time it really well, that I didn't have the strength to do but then I saw someone else just popping into it. At first I thought there was no way I could do that, but then I convinced myself that "hey, this is just a pop vault. I've got this". And it was tricky but I did it! The rest of the problem was also quite a fight, but that first move was definitely a win.

My commitment to big powerful moves was also A+ today! I did one baby dyno on my first try, another climb where the last move was huge and dynamic and scary because it was at the top of the wall, and I tried this other dyno a few times. This dyno is definitely still above my pay grade, but I managed to get to it and grab it every time and not embarrass myself at all! And I never thought I'd say this, but on my first attempt I even overcommitted and got to the hold with way more momentum than I needed. I don't want to jinx it but I feel like this whole dynamic climbing thing might actually happen this year? It's cool.

I also tried one of my scary problems from last time and at least this time I managed to move and not just freeze on the spot. I was super tired at that point though so hopefully it will go when I'm more fresh.

• Like 3

All the climbing wins. \o/

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I did however fix my first dev ops bug and it was such a tiny thing but it felt oddly satisfying being able to find it and fix and not bother my colleague about it.

YAY!

Just going to post this update before heading to bed, will catch up with everyone tomorrow!!! Didn't sleep very well yesterday after too much climbing hype and I'm pooped. :( 

Still made it to the gym this morning and I was super happy to see my friend there today as well. She's absolutely rocking it!!! :) We had a very long conversation about diet which was rather difficult for me as I'm so torn about the whole thing. She's gained some weight over the past few years (she has some thyroid issues) and she really wants to get back her old body in which she's more comfortable. Which I totally get. But it's obvious that it's all very tied up in body image and family pressure and all sorts of complex stuff and at this point in time I just cannot anymore with diets and weight loss. I'm just SO very over it and I explained a bit why. But that's me right. In the end I didn't feel I could give any real advice except dispelling some BS (no you don't need cardio for weight loss, no you don't need a special crazy diet, no you can't spot reduce BF...) and all I could genuinely recommend was eat more veggies and nutritious food and for now at least eat to support gym gainzzz and for energy levels and then see what happens with body recomp. And to do things that are fun and not terrible things like running. ;) 

But honestly I really don't if I'm projecting my own thoughts too much here...  Because to me she looks absolutely fine and I know that for her going on a diet will make her miserable and I really don't want that for her. Instead I'm hoping that the strength training will boost her body confidence a bit and hopefully take away attention from weight loss. But I also completely get that a slightly lower BF% is more comfortable to carry around especially if that's what you're used to... I also don't really know anything about thyroid issues except that weight loss can be much harder so even if I would try to help her with more weight loss specific things I still don't know how she'd react because of it. UGHH why is this stuff so hard? I mean I do get that I can't fix everything but she's a friend and I want to see her happy you know. And she normally is a super happy smiley person but I can tell she's also been hurt by these things...

Speaking of weight loss, I've been very loosely tracking my own measurements to make sure I'm eating enough and unsurprisingly I'm not eating enough even though I'm trying. While I don't necessarily think that losing weight is a bad thing for me, especially for my joints, I really don't care or even want to care. It is what it is. For now I just want to focus on strength gains, absolute and not just relative. The reason why I even mention it is to ask you guys to shout at me if I start complaining that my recovery is going to hell. :P 

Except for hard conversations gym time was very fun. Did my regular push-ups, bench dips and inverted rows, but completely bailed on pull-ups because they were IMPOSSIBLE after climbing and some squats and deadlifts. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with the squats which I bumped to 36 kg. This was my second time deadlifting and I bumped the weight to 41 kg. Can I also complain for one second about having a 16kg bar? It makes MATHS HARD! :P I also did a few dragon flag negatives where I somehow tweaked my trap or neck or something. It's not too bad but it's super annoying and I'm not sure I'll be able to climb and/or parkour this weekend. 

Work in general was ridiculous today, it felt like everyone was a bit loopy and it was impossible to get any work done between nerf wars, weird music, stupid jokes and I don't even know what was going on. It was highly entertaining though. :) 

After work I got dragged to a new or rather rebranded Mexican themed cocktail place and then we went out to a new place for burgers. I approved. :) But then I skipped out on more beer because I really need the sleeps... Totes adult!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Just going to post this update before heading to bed, will catch up with everyone tomorrow!!! Didn't sleep very well yesterday after too much climbing hype and I'm pooped. :( 

Gah, ain't it perverse how the things that make us most excited can also keep us from getting enough sleep to keep doing them? Happened to me with dance on Wednesday, and I was a total wreck yesterday. So solidarity, bro.

Still made it to the gym this morning and I was super happy to see my friend there today as well. She's absolutely rocking it!!! :) We had a very long conversation about diet which was rather difficult for me as I'm so torn about the whole thing. She's gained some weight over the past few years (she has some thyroid issues) and she really wants to get back her old body in which she's more comfortable. Which I totally get. But it's obvious that it's all very tied up in body image and family pressure and all sorts of complex stuff and at this point in time I just cannot anymore with diets and weight loss. I'm just SO very over it and I explained a bit why. But that's me right. In the end I didn't feel I could give any real advice except dispelling some BS (no you don't need cardio for weight loss, no you don't need a special crazy diet, no you can't spot reduce BF...) and all I could genuinely recommend was eat more veggies and nutritious food and for now at least eat to support gym gainzzz and for energy levels and then see what happens with body recomp. And to do things that are fun and not terrible things like running. ;) 

But honestly I really don't if I'm projecting my own thoughts too much here...  Because to me she looks absolutely fine and I know that for her going on a diet will make her miserable and I really don't want that for her. Instead I'm hoping that the strength training will boost her body confidence a bit and hopefully take away attention from weight loss. But I also completely get that a slightly lower BF% is more comfortable to carry around especially if that's what you're used to... I also don't really know anything about thyroid issues except that weight loss can be much harder so even if I would try to help her with more weight loss specific things I still don't know how she'd react because of it. UGHH why is this stuff so hard? I mean I do get that I can't fix everything but she's a friend and I want to see her happy you know. And she normally is a super happy smiley person but I can tell she's also been hurt by these things...

This is a really tough convo to have with a friend - good for you for having it anyhow! I'm definitely still on a journey of body love and acceptance (does one ever get off it?), but I think all we can do for a friend on that journey is give them a place for their concerns to be heard, plus helping them have high quality info about what actually works and doesn't for any path they want to pursue and what the realistic trade-offs are between different paths (e.g. what needs to change in your life to make sustained weight loss a priority, if you do choose that path) and the realistic expected benefits (e.g. weight loss may not change underlying body image issues, if they're present) and let our friends make their own choices from a place of better information and knowing they're loved and respected unconditionally. Which is NOT an easy balance for me to strike when I have strong opinions on the matter (I'll verbally spar with a relative who insists that Keto is the only really effective way to lose weight).

Speaking of weight loss, I've been very loosely tracking my own measurements to make sure I'm eating enough and unsurprisingly I'm not eating enough even though I'm trying. While I don't necessarily think that losing weight is a bad thing for me, especially for my joints, I really don't care or even want to care. It is what it is. For now I just want to focus on strength gains, absolute and not just relative. The reason why I even mention it is to ask you guys to shout at me if I start complaining that my recovery is going to hell. :P 

How has your recovery been doing? Might it be useful to loosely track your energy level at some fixed point in the day (like right at waking up) to get a leading indicator of sorts if your energy is dipping and that maybe means a nutrition or sleep tweak is warranted? (Says the guy who should probably implement this himself and hasn't...)

Except for hard conversations gym time was very fun. Did my regular push-ups, bench dips and inverted rows, but completely bailed on pull-ups because they were IMPOSSIBLE after climbing and some squats and deadlifts. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable with the squats which I bumped to 36 kg. This was my second time deadlifting and I bumped the weight to 41 kg. Can I also complain for one second about having a 16kg bar? It makes MATHS HARD! :P I also did a few dragon flag negatives where I somehow tweaked my trap or neck or something. It's not too bad but it's super annoying and I'm not sure I'll be able to climb and/or parkour this weekend. 

Awww blergh on the trap - hope it heals quick!

Work in general was ridiculous today, it felt like everyone was a bit loopy and it was impossible to get any work done between nerf wars, weird music, stupid jokes and I don't even know what was going on. It was highly entertaining though. :) 

This sounds like a delightfully zany Friday in the office :) and confirms all my programmer stereotypes!

After work I got dragged to a new or rather rebranded Mexican themed cocktail place and then we went out to a new place for burgers. I approved. :) But then I skipped out on more beer because I really need the sleeps... Totes adult!

Sounds like a perfectly adult Friday night - fun, then go home when more "fun" would feel rough the next morning!

12 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

This is a really tough convo to have with a friend - good for you for having it anyhow! I'm definitely still on a journey of body love and acceptance (does one ever get off it?), but I think all we can do for a friend on that journey is give them a place for their concerns to be heard, plus helping them have high quality info about what actually works and doesn't for any path they want to pursue and what the realistic trade-offs are between different paths (e.g. what needs to change in your life to make sustained weight loss a priority, if you do choose that path) and the realistic expected benefits (e.g. weight loss may not change underlying body image issues, if they're present) and let our friends make their own choices from a place of better information and knowing they're loved and respected unconditionally. Which is NOT an easy balance for me to strike when I have strong opinions on the matter (I'll verbally spar with a relative who insists that Keto is the only really effective way to lose weight).

Yes lots of great points, thank you. It's really hard because even if I tone down my opinion to 10% I still feel like I might come off too strong haha. :lol: And the last thing I want to do is to come across as dismissive. Honestly I feel like verbally sparring would almost be easier. I feel like she's putting a looot of trust in me that's not warranted as I really don't have any answers and it makes me both want to help but also quite uncomfortable. I believe I might be one of the few (if not only) women that she's met that has such strong opinions on body image and diet BS, refuses to feel guilty for eating cookies, who moves for fun and is pretty strong. She's from Iran and from a family where being feminine and petite and pretty is valued and I suspect my epic rants are turning her world view upside down a bit. #sorrynotsorry :P But it's tricky and I'm sure confusing for her. I'm really glad we can have these conversations though.

How has your recovery been doing? Might it be useful to loosely track your energy level at some fixed point in the day (like right at waking up) to get a leading indicator of sorts if your energy is dipping and that maybe means a nutrition or sleep tweak is warranted? (Says the guy who should probably implement this himself and hasn't...)

So far it's been oddly great! Well as long as I get good sleep, when I don't everything falls apart. :P I'm honestly quite surprised by how well my body's doing with this new workload, I feel like I have loads of energy, sometimes a little tooo much haha. I think it's made such a big difference doing a mix of heavy and light work of different types and not just the same max climbing that kept wrecking me. And even if I'm not eating quite enough, I'm generally eating pretty well. But starting a super simple log is not a bad idea so I can be a little more proactive because even if it feels great now I don't know how sustainable my scheduling is yet. :) 

Awww blergh on the trap - hope it heals quick!

Thanks, it already feels ok, just not good enough to go climbing. I'm positive that it will be fine by Monday at the latest. At least I can catch up on life and flexy work which I haven't managed to do yet this week...

This sounds like a delightfully zany Friday in the office :) and confirms all my programmer stereotypes!

:lol: Honestly I'm not sure if we do fall into even the programmer stereotypes, I really do work with a bunch of weirdos haha.

Sounds like a perfectly adult Friday night - fun, then go home when more "fun" would feel rough the next morning!

I mean I would've preferred to have energy to go out. ;) But considering the circumstances it was a good choice.

• Like 1

Ugh. Especially the last year or two I'm also SO done with the topic. Which is actually not easy in my profession. I always had people randomly recite to me everything they ate that day and I'd always try to be polite about it.. but these days... even with people specifically making an appointment with me for diet advice.. I just give zero fucks anymore*- the conversation is going to be about why - why do they think their lives will be better with less/more weight, what do they think they'll accomplish, which aspects of their lives will change for the better. And then we start mindset changes and stress management etc instead of talking diet. 

Even if I can't get people to let go of the wish to lose some weight I can at least make them rethink their priorities- because it'll end up being way easier to lose any weight once you've managed your stress and have solid feelings of autonomy and connection in your life and when you've found movement that you enjoy instead of scolding yourself into doing.. 

(*ok unless it's someone who has to manage diabetes or a bodyweight class athlete or GI issues or something like that) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Which is actually not easy in my profession.

Really, I'm so surprised. :P 

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I just give zero fucks anymore*- the conversation is going to be about why - why do they think their lives will be better with less/more weight, what do they think they'll accomplish, which aspects of their lives will change for the better. And then we start mindset changes and stress management etc instead of talking diet. 

Even if I can't get people to let go of the wish to lose some weight I can at least make them rethink their priorities- because it'll end up being way easier to lose any weight once you've managed your stress and have solid feelings of autonomy and connection in your life and when you've found movement that you enjoy instead of scolding yourself into doing.. 

This is great stuff though, love it! Thanks so much for saying this, it makes it feel easier to stick to my guns now. 

I completely get the zero fucks situation. Hopefully I won't offend anyone, but weight loss and dieting is just such an uninteresting topic. Bodies are absolutely fascinating things and we can do soooo much cool stuff with them, and yet we're fixating on something as mundane as belly size. Really? Sometimes I wonder how much of the gender gap would be closed if women simply would stop spending hours and hours on thinking about diet and weight loss and shopping and did something interesting with that time instead...

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 3:54 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Can I also complain for one second about having a 16kg bar? It makes MATHS HARD!

RIght!  Why would they even do that?  My max attempt at deadlift was 116kg, because I was too lazy to work out any math beyond 100 + bar :D

On 3/2/2019 at 3:54 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I also did a few dragon flag negatives where I somehow tweaked my trap or neck or something. It's not too bad but it's super annoying and I'm not sure I'll be able to climb and/or parkour this weekend. 

Oh no!  I hope it gets better soon.  Neck issues make everything so unpleasant

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I wonder how much of the gender gap would be closed if women simply would stop spending hours and hours on thinking about diet and weight loss and shopping and did something interesting with that time instead...

Women don't have a monopoly on obsessing over those (well, maybe the shopping... :P ) I find myself caring about it, although I can't for the life of me figure why.  

4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

RIght!  Why would they even do that?  My max attempt at deadlift was 116kg, because I was too lazy to work out any math beyond 100 + bar :D

LOL makes total sense.

Oh no!  I hope it gets better soon.  Neck issues make everything so unpleasant

Thanks, it really does. :( It felt better this morning but now it's getting worse again...

Women don't have a monopoly on obsessing over those (well, maybe the shopping... :P ) I find myself caring about it, although I can't for the life of me figure why.  

For sure it doesn't, but there's a different societal pressure for women than for men when it comes to looks. Of course it all depends on many factors yada yada but on the whole it's still more of an issue for women. There's a big difference between spending an hour on your hair every day because you feel you have to, or because you want to. Though personally I will silently judge both. :P 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

For sure it doesn't, but there's a different societal pressure for women than for men when it comes to looks. Of course it all depends on many factors yada yada but on the whole it's still more of an issue for women. 

OK, yeah.  That's a fair point.

OK, yeah.  That's a fair point.

I meant the initial comment on a political level, but it's such a huge waste of time no matter the gender...

Uggh dumb neck thing is dumb and it's making me sad as I really, really, want to train! 

I've been slipping a little with life and this challenge and everything and I feel a lot more restless this week, so I'm going to focus on bringing back the positive actions list to make myself feel better and the morning meditation even though it's not technically part of the challenge. 

Positive actions this weekend

• Did the hip modules of myFlex on Saturday
  • Did the shoulder module on Sunday as I thought it might help to activate the muscles a bit
  • Went through the exotic routine I've been trying to learn once to remind myself of the moves, though I had to skip a move or two
  • Went out for a walk as it was super sunny and treated myself to a coffee
  • Cooked proper dinner
  • Meditated during the day and not the token ones I've been doing before bed lately which is really not the same
  • Listened to a feel good podcast with badass 60+ ninja warrior Ginny Maccoll @Elastigirl you might particularly like it! 
    https://seasonedathlete.me/episodes/051

Now I thought I was super careful when I trained and I didn't do anything that hurt, but now a few hours afterwards it feels quite painful. Not sure if I overdid it or if it would've happened anyway, but it's super frustrating and annoying. The worst part is that it's forcing my head in a turtle position and particularly yesterday it caused a bit of a nauseating tension headache which made everything suck even if it wasn't hurting that much.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Uggh dumb neck thing is dumb and it's making me sad as I really, really, want to train! 

I've been slipping a little with life and this challenge and everything and I feel a lot more restless this week, so I'm going to focus on bringing back the positive actions list to make myself feel better and the morning meditation even though it's not technically part of the challenge. 

Positive actions this weekend

• Did the hip modules of myFlex on Saturday
  • Did the shoulder module on Sunday as I thought it might help to activate the muscles a bit
  • Went through the exotic routine I've been trying to learn once to remind myself of the moves, though I had to skip a move or two
  • Went out for a walk as it was super sunny and treated myself to a coffee
  • Cooked proper dinner
  • Meditated during the day and not the token ones I've been doing before bed lately which is really not the same
  • Listened to a feel good podcast with badass 60+ ninja warrior Ginny Maccoll @Elastigirl you might particularly like it! 
    https://seasonedathlete.me/episodes/051

Now I thought I was super careful when I trained and I didn't do anything that hurt, but now a few hours afterwards it feels quite painful. Not sure if I overdid it or if it would've happened anyway, but it's super frustrating and annoying. The worst part is that it's forcing my head in a turtle position and particularly yesterday it caused a bit of a nauseating tension headache which made everything suck even if it wasn't hurting that much.

Thanks. I will give it a listen. I love Ginny Maccoll!

Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

I've been doing the glide exercise . I'm also doing another one I found . You lay on your back and extend one leg at a time. Then  you turn you foot to the inside and curl your toe, then turn your foot to the other side and flex. The really weird thing is , with the right foot I can do it without a problem, but with the left foot, I can barely curl my toes. Since I normally don't have an issue with beig able to curl my toe, it must be some sort of nerve thing. I'm really interested to see if doing these helps my forward fold.

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Can't remember who was interested in my flexibility program, @WhiteGhost at last. Either way, they finally put up the description after I complained gently suggested it'd be a good idea. ;) 

https://myflex.cirquephysio.com/enrollment/

Nice, I took a look and it seems to be a very useful program.  Is it only designed for splits and backbends, or are there other areas of focus that it can help with (e.g. front folds)?

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks. I will give it a listen. I love Ginny Maccoll!

Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

I've been doing the glide exercise . I'm also doing another one I found . You lay on your back and extend one leg at a time. Then  you turn you foot to the inside and curl your toe, then turn your foot to the other side and flex. The really weird thing is , with the right foot I can do it without a problem, but with the left foot, I can barely curl my toes. Since I normally don't have an issue with beig able to curl my toe, it must be some sort of nerve thing. I'm really interested to see if doing these helps my forward fold.

Oh interesting! I’m super curious if it will help as well. :) 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nice, I took a look and it seems to be a very useful program.  Is it only designed for splits and backbends, or are there other areas of focus that it can help with (e.g. front folds)?

For sure! There are four modules - hip extension (for front splits and backbends), pike, straddle splits + pancake, and shoulders + upper back. But even if the pose you’re interested in is not specifically mentioned it will probably help as it addresses all the limiting structures. For example even if lotus pose is not in the program there’s still a lot of rotation work in the program that will indirectly help.

12 hours ago, annyshay said:

Feel better soon!

Thank youuu!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mad Hatter said:

if women simply would stop spending hours and hours on thinking about diet and weight loss and shopping and did something interesting with that time instead...

And skin lotions! You never hear the end of it.

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

There's a big difference between spending an hour on your hair every day because you feel you have to, or because you want to.

ONE WHOLE HOUR?

Thanks for the MyFlex link. Looks interesting, yes.

56 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Oh dear that sounds awful. Now I have to admit that while I'm aware of this happening, I don't actually hang out or work with any of those people. As a software developer the bar is set pretty low, if you managed to put on pants it's a win. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

My friend started a new skincare program and she is now an hour late to go anywhere. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Awww, man. Sorry about your neck thing. :( I hope it relaxes on you soon.

Re: diet ranting -- I also have a lot of trouble not going off about these things, but I've been better at reigning it in lately and talking about how positive reinforcement by finding things you really like to do, eat, etc. --  focusing on taking care of yourself rather than punishing yourself -- makes new habits and things much easier to take up. That has been my best spin so far, but most people are going to bash their heads into the diet wall over and over again until they open up to hearing something different. 

4 minutes ago, raptron said:

My friend started a new skincare program and she is now an hour late to go anywhere. :rolleyes:

:lol:

4 minutes ago, raptron said:

Re: diet ranting -- I also have a lot of trouble not going off about these things, but I've been better at reigning it in lately and talking about how positive reinforcement by finding things you really like to do, eat, etc. --  focusing on taking care of yourself rather than punishing yourself -- makes new habits and things much easier to take up. That has been my best spin so far, but most people are going to bash their heads into the diet wall over and over again until they open up to hearing something different. 

Great approach. I'm pretty sure everyone at the office has heard my rants more times than they'd like haha (especially end of last year I was in a very ranty mood), but when we have these more personal conversations it's definitely not helpful and I do try to tone it down. I realise that "do things you find fun, eat more veggies and get good sleep" is not the magic advice she'd like to hear, but it's the best I can give and I'm going to stick to it. :P Given that she already knows my stance on the topic and yet asked me for advice I think that on some level she doesn't want to bash her head against the wall anymore. But these things take time...

It's so fascinating to me because I've noticed that many of us assassin veterans used to have some sort of diet goals on and off, but they've really changed focus from weight loss/calorie counting etc to IE and eating more nutritious food and feeling good rather than looking good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's so fascinating to me because I've noticed that many of us assassin veterans used to have some sort of diet goals on and off, but they've really changed focus from weight loss/calorie counting etc to IE and eating more nutritious food and feeling good rather than looking good.

Yeah! We've grown together out of it together, haha. I've noticed that as well. :)

• Like 2