• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter is too impatient to come up with a fancy title

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Doodle

I finally started to pick up drawing last year, aaaand then I dropped it. I'm going to set a reaaally easy goal and that is to draw daily, but even drawing something like 5 circles count.

Yay drawing challenge buddies!

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and another fun thing!

I was chatting to my colleague and she was being super indecisive about how to plan her trip home to Iran. What she really wants to do is to travel around the country but if her husband won't come with her she'll end up hanging out with her family instead and yada yada doesn't really matter. Long story short, I suggested that I come with her and travel together! And she loooved the idea so we're going to Iran around Easter! I'M SO EXCITED!!! :D @@mu talk about THE WORST TIMING. But if you have any suggestions on what to see and do I'm all ears!

OMG this sonds SO AWESOME!!!!

What...What exactly is a fish flop?

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Though I couldn't believe that I of all people was the one that had to demonstrate how to use a squat rack, when I know nothing about lifting

I had guessed that might be the case when I saw they put the bar racks on the outside of the cage :D 

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

We did kongs

KONGS!!!!   I love kongs but they are SCARY yo!  

12 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Going to Iran with a personal guide!? How awesome is that!

It's frickin' fantastic!

12 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

OMG I'm dying of jealousy!

I think you were the one saying that jealousy is unattractive. ;) 

8 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Yay drawing challenge buddies!

OMG this sonds SO AWESOME!!!!

What...What exactly is a fish flop?

Awesome! :D 

It's going to be amazing!

This thing! I half learnt them at acro last week and out of the things we've been working on so far this is the only thing that seems achievable for now haha. My teacher has a thing for weird movements. :P 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had guessed that might be the case when I saw they put the bar racks on the outside of the cage :D 

KONGS!!!!   I love kongs but they are SCARY yo!  

Right hahaha! :D The funniest thing was when my boss unracked the barbell, stepped OUTSIDE the squat rack, and started to "squat" (like quarter squats). I'm like dude the whole point of getting a squat rack is to be inside it, you know for safety haha.

Honestly I'm a wee bit uncomfortable with seemingly having the most knowledge around, since it's pretty much zero. I know it's silly and not my responsibility but I don't want any stupid injuries so I feel it's a little bit on me to at least guide them to some resources and perhaps with mobility and stuff like that.

They look SO COOL though! I only did the first progression and on a low squishy box so it felt pretty safe. It'd be suuuper scary on a hard box though! I did find it very hard to coordinate the jump and the dive, it felt like it was either one or the other. I also seem to have an instinct to do a kash vault instead of a kong vault, probably to save myself from face planting. :P 

For the uninitiated, this is a kong vault into a precision

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c595a8b497a354b32

This is a double kong, only posting because it's really frickin' cool

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c595a9b374c7a3373

• Like 4

First run through of my flexy program! :wub:

It is very hard, but it's a very good mix between active releases using (maybe 10-20%) strength work and activation drills (majority maybe 60-80%) and static stretching (20-30%). Just guessing the percentages, and they differ a little depending on modules. The nice thing is that the strength work is staggered with the stretches so neither feels like "too much"

The modules btw are hip extension, pike, straddle and shoulders/upper back with focus on working towards bridges. The first 3 are about 10 exercises/20 minutes each, the bridge one is 20 exercises which I did in 45 minutes but there was a bit more faffing around. Hopefully I can get a little more efficient in the setups to bring the times down a little bit, but I don't think I could get it under 1 hr 45 including warm up and cool down.

You only do one exercise once and they all require different tools so it's important to keep everything ready and not dawdle because then the program would turn into 3 hours. I typically do A LOT of dawdling when I train haha so it almost felt a little rushed. Or perhaps not rushed, but like I had to stay on top of things and concentrate the entire time, both during the exercises but also in between exercises. 

The good thing about only doing one exercise once is that when it's over, it's over. :P It means that I can really concentrate on trying hard and it prevents me from dawdling in order to procrastinate doing a hard exercise. 

I think the straddle and hip extension modules were the hardest, the bridge module was almost pleasant. ;) I felt a little sad when I did the assessment that my bridge has become SO bad it got demoted to level 2 , but when I did my regressed (feet elevated) bridge I actually rather liked it.

Overall I love it! I love that the exercises are customised to my needs and that there's so much strength work of the type that my joints need. But it's hard to motivate myself to do them on my own, when it's part of a flexy program it makes it a lot more motivating. Now I'm really looking forward to building my flexibility up again while making everything strong! It would be amazing if I could get back to my peak flexiness this year, but I'd be happy with even getting back to my normal level.

• Like 9

Oh wow- lol fish flops look kind of fun!!

Kong’s are SO SCARY. They don’t LOOK terrifying when you watch video (except for maybe that double kong you just posted lol he was like flying!) but they are so much scarier than even like, clearing gaps and precisions. Which at least to me, appear scarier on video.

But Kongs are just like ... face first terror. Hahah.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Overall I love it! I love that the exercises are customised to my needs and that there's so much strength work of the type that my joints need. But it's hard to motivate myself to do them on my own, when it's part of a flexy program it makes it a lot more motivating. Now I'm really looking forward to building my flexibility up again while making everything strong! It would be amazing if I could get back to my peak flexiness this year, but I'd be happy with even getting back to my normal level.

Glad you like it so much! You should get like an affiliate code because damn do you make it tempting to get it! and I don't even have any flexy goals x)

Haha, seriously! I'm like "shiiit, I want that program!" 

And yes, kongs seem kind of scary! Like you have to have fully committed or you are definitely not going to have enough momentum to make it. :o 

Damn that flexy program looks intense but awesome - I feel you on having to pack the training in efficiently, the new gym program I started is supposed to fit in under an hour easily, but I haven't gotten close to that yet.

22 hours ago, Happienumber said:

But Kongs are just like ... face first terror. Hahah.

That's it isn't it, not only are you throwing yourself face first, but your face is also really close to the obstacle. And you can't bring your legs forward to catch you makes it even worse. They DO look cool though!

21 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Glad you like it so much! You should get like an affiliate code because damn do you make it tempting to get it! and I don't even have any flexy goals x)

19 hours ago, raptron said:

Haha, seriously! I'm like "shiiit, I want that program!" 

Honestly I think it's worth it for many people just for the instruction videos + the assessments alone! She talks about anatomy and the science about flexibility and common compensations in a fair amount of detail. A lot of it is already online mainly on IG but it's pretty well presented. For people with zero interest in how the body works it's probably a bit too technical, but if you're a nerd it's great haha. And I love the assessment parts, especially the parts concerning things that you don't normally consider as being important not just for flexibility but general human movement, like nerve tension, internal and external rotation, rotation in the upper back etc. 

Basically I think it's great for anyone that wants to get to a higher level of flexibility, for people with lax joints no matter if they want to get flexy and for anatomy nerds with any interest in flexibility, theoretical or otherwise. I'm not 100% sure if it would work quite as well for really musclebound unflexy guys (I wonder if loaded stretching program wouldn't work better).

Raptron I think it would be perfect for you/gymnastics peeps had you any time hahaha. :D Though if you're ever willing to part with the monies it might be useful just for the assessment part to and just pick the exercises or the modules that really hone in on your specific deficiencies and any big differences between active and passive flexibility.

19 hours ago, raptron said:

And yes, kongs seem kind of scary! Like you have to have fully committed or you are definitely not going to have enough momentum to make it. :o 

I feel like a lot of parkour is like that. Which makes it a very good brain challenge for me. :P 

17 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Damn that flexy program looks intense but awesome - I feel you on having to pack the training in efficiently, the new gym program I started is supposed to fit in under an hour easily, but I haven't gotten close to that yet.

Except that even if I'm super efficient I won't be able to shave off a lot. Perhaps a few minutes worth of faffing around with the tools and a few minutes total break between the modules, which will still make the program really long. Though if it were my main focus I would probably split it up into 40-60 min chunks and do it 6 days a week which would perhaps make it more equivalent to your program.

7 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

That flexy program sounds great, how often are you supposed to/are you planning on doing it?

I'm going to do it 2x per week as it's so time consuming, she recommends 2-4x/week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm not 100% sure if it would work quite as well for really musclebound unflexy guys (I wonder if loaded stretching program wouldn't work better)

Interesting.  I am not musclebound by a long shot but I am certainly unflexy.  GMB hasn't been working for me so perhaps I should look around for a loaded stretch program

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Raptron I think it would be perfect for you/gymnastics peeps had you any time hahaha. :D Though if you're ever willing to part with the monies it might be useful just for the assessment part to and just pick the exercises or the modules that really hone in on your specific deficiencies and any big differences between active and passive flexibility

SIGH. Time. CURSE YOU. 

RjcC.gif

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Interesting.  I am not musclebound by a long shot but I am certainly unflexy.  GMB hasn't been working for me so perhaps I should look around for a loaded stretch program

I honestly have no idea what would work better, it really is just a thought!! I haven't heard of any research on this, or even anecdotal evidence.

I do think that the one I'm doing would work well for pretty much anyone, including yourself. All the movements have regressions and progressions so it's definitely not just for already flexy people, I mean I'm in the remedial camp on many exercises haha. :hopelessness:. It's also based on solid principles, this lady really, really knows her stuff and you get it explained to you really well.

But I think that some people, big guys in particular, might feel more comfortable doing loaded stretches as then they get to use weights and weights are manly while doing PT style chick exercises is not. :P 

I haven't seen any loaded stretching programs from anyone that I trust, unless you do direct coaching. You can google Tom Merrick and Emmet Louis and see what you find, but I think you'll mainly find stuff on pancakes and middle splits and almost nothing for shoulders and upper back, and it will obviously be super generic and not focused on your deficiencies, which is something I really appreciate with this. For example a lot of people's flexibility is limited by nerve tension and if you don't address that but try to force stretch it, loaded or otherwise, you won't improve anyway.

• Like 1

Oh wow myFlex sounds very exciting :surprise: pretty loaded too but I'm not so surprised, because she has always been very generous in her programmes :D

How is the FB group? That could be also motivating.

Re-loaded stretches, I have used weights for stretching (e.g. for Jefferson curls, and pancakes / straddles). I really like it but I over-did it once in pancake and it took a while for my piriformis/upper hams to recover :hopelessness: so now I'm kinda careful...

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

hmmm, you know what? I think I'm going to go find this program of yours and take a closer look

I did not register for myFlex but I have all her older programmes and they are really good. It's still slow and hard work, partly because I didn't go through that assessment, so I have to try out / see what works for me / what doesn't (not to mention stuff that I probably don't do properly despite the ref videos...) + it takes times anyway. But it's great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

hmmm, you know what? I think I'm going to go find this program of yours and take a closer look

Do check it out! Enrolment is every few months but you can also check out her instagram @cirque_physio to get a feel for the type of exercises she likes. The program has more actual stretches than on IG but if you absolutely hate the exercises then there's no point in getting it. A love-hate relationship is ok though. :P 

16 minutes ago, @mu said:

Oh wow myFlex sounds very exciting :surprise: pretty loaded too but I'm not so surprised, because she has always been very generous in her programmes :D

How is the FB group? That could be also motivating.

Re-loaded stretches, I have used weights for stretching (e.g. for Jefferson curls, and pancakes / straddles). I really like it but I over-did it once in pancake and it took a while for my piriformis/upper hams to recover :hopelessness: so now I'm kinda careful...

I did not register for myFlex but I have all her older programmes and they are really good. It's still slow and hard work, partly because I didn't go through that assessment, so I have to try out / see what works for me / what doesn't (not to mention stuff that I probably don't do properly despite the ref videos...) + it takes times anyway. But it's great.

Haha true. I don't know about the FB group yet. They are very quick with responses and explanations, but so far 90% have been "I'm really confused because I don't understand if my hip extension is negative or not". Even with countless of photos and examples at this point... For me the Q&A part is the most interesting, when it comes to training motivation I get a lot more inspired by you guys and my IRL friends than FB! Particularly now when I don't have any shiny, flexy goals. At this point I just want to make my joints work like they should for safety and longevity. I'm sure that the flexy will come as a side effect, possibly faster than I would like relative to my strength, but right now it's just not a priority. 

Also I can't believe that it's me who just wrote out those sentences. Who even am I? :D 

I think that's very easy to overdo it, more so if you're already a little bit flexible and a lot more so for anyone with lax joints. For me exercises like pancake good mornings feel awesome but it's such a fine line between everything's cool and injury, they're not really worth it. 

I have two of her older programmes, but I have to say that this is waaaay better in terms of instructions and organization and just about everything. :) I do much prefer just doing one set of each drill too, because you know that the suffering will at least end quickly so you might as well get it over and done with. :P 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

I maybe went to go look into it and her landing page for the program appears to be broken. XD 

Yeaaaahhhhh.... So her web developers are not the sharpest tools in the shed. :rolleyes: I'm just SO glad that the content makes up for it, because this has been a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

I do love her instagram, so maybe she'll give a shoutout when it's uhhhh functional again. :D Right now I'll just be jealous of everyone's beautiful hypersplits in Thailand. 

Alright, update before I forget everything!

Yesterday I screwed up my day a bit as I didn't start working until 1 pm but when I did I got really sucked into it and didn't finish until quite late. OOOPS.

Today was just busy! Morning acro, then work, then climbing, then bed (soon)!

Morning acro was great! That class makes me so happy, even though I spend 90% of it in a daze of confusion. :P We were only two students, so my teacher played a little with us towards the end which was fun. The main move of the day was what I'm going to call floppy fish, because it's basically the fish flop but backwards. This is one progression towards it, except that my teacher did it with a ridiculous and awesome flying start that just cracked me up. :D Another thing that cracked me today was seeing my teacher and the other girl do the worm. Brilliant stuff. After class I took a few minutes to work on fish flops and I mustered up the courage to try on a thinner mat. I crashed a few times but that just made me realize it's ok and after a few tries of bailing early I ended up doing it. Success! There might still be a little residual fear as I keep rolling more towards my side/hip rather than belly, but it could also be that I need to change my technique a little. Anyways, one step closer!

Climbing went rubbish but I had a lot of fun! I failed at pretty much everything and did weird things, but I tried hard and that counts. I tried a few more dynamic moves, got laughed at, but that's fine. :P I did what I set out to do today, which was to practice moves where I really needed to drive the power through my hips.

I also got really frustrated at one climb because there's this one move that *should* totally be a my kind of move and yet I can't do it while everyone else can and it drove me nuts! But then I did some dive rolls, a fish flop or two and some silly and fast forward rolls on the squishy mats and that made me happy again. :D 

Tuesday positive actions

• Did two minutes of drawing before bed just because I didn't to fail my negative action fix
  • Coding flow
  • Flexy work
  • Tidied while making tea
  • Meditated

Negative action

• Coding flow without taking any breaks and too late. Fix - schedule breaks during the work day.

Wednesday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Spent the few minutes I had in the morning to do some simple adulting to make life easier later instead of just waiting around for class
  • Climbed, and overcame frustration
  • Morning acro
  • Fish flops

Negative action

• You know what, I've literally been too busy to screw anything up, I'm going to use yesterday's action fix. Except wait, I'm going to miss my drawing again, so schedule in some drawing time tomorrow

Current stats

• Go to bed already 2/6 -  Went to bed late after parkour, but since it takes such a long time for me to wind down I think midnight is actually pretty good
  • Get out of bed already 3/7
  • Doodle 1/7
  • Flexy 1/2
  • Breakfast 3/7
  • Morning warm up 3/7
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, raptron said:

I do love her instagram, so maybe she'll give a shoutout when it's uhhhh functional again. :D Right now I'll just be jealous of everyone's beautiful hypersplits in Thailand. 

I'll drop the devs an email, can't hurt to spam them some more. ;) Also very jelly!

---

Now there's the question of how I will cope with the program tomorrow. I really want to get into the habit of Tuesday/Thursday flexy sessions, but my butt's soooo sore after pole/parkour/flex/acro/climbing. :D I'll do my best but it might all end up sad half reps. :P 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You can also look at joint distraction during stretching, it can really help to ensure that you're targeting the bit that needs to be stretched, rather than the bit that stretches easily/first. Loaded stretching is kinda already built into lots of different weightlifting (eg. RDLs, flyes, inverted rows, deep squats, etc.), and short sessions of muscle specific stretching between sets can also be effective.

But something like Ashtanga yoga could also be a good option; it's a very physical type of yoga, and the strength work helps to ensure you're developing safe/stabilised flexibility, rather than just being bendy for flexyness' sake. ;) Besides, muscles don't preclude flexibility, people just don't seem to expect it.

Passive static stretching (eg. legs up the wall, using straps, etc) can help you to distinguish between a physical limitation vs tension due to the nervous system (to be fair, the nervous system and muscle atrophy are by far and away the biggest contributors for a lack of flexibility, as I understand it). PNF stretching & reciprocal inhibition are also great techniques - they can highlight where you need to add strength in order to regain the flexibility that's being restricted due to a lack of stability/balance.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I love the assessment parts, especially the parts concerning things that you don't normally consider as being important not just for flexibility but general human movement, like nerve tension, internal and external rotation, rotation in the upper back etc. 

Sounds super interesting, thanks for sharing - always happy to check out new resources!

23 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

What is this. It sounds sorta painful!

Oh no, it's blissful - mostly it's gently pulling your joint in a specific direction to permit a bit more space between bones to improve hydration in connective tissues and help to prevent bones moving against each other as a limiting factor in range of motion. Honestly, I always feel so zen after this kind of stretching. Some info: https://www.prehabexercises.com/joint-distraction/

For example, the downward facing dog position shown below - yoga teachers will often manually pull your hips back to help you realise the correct position. Using some resistance bands help to really target that stretch, actually using some traction to pull the hip bones away from the lumbar and making a bit more space to comfortably create that angle in your hips. Or putting a rolled towel at the back of your knee to make some space when you bend the leg. Or pulling the hip out laterally when squatting to stop your femurs from grinding again the hip socket. Or a lateral pull on your shoulder perpendicular to your chest - literally, this example makes the difference between me being able to lift my arms over my head without sharp pain.

untitled.png

• Like 3