• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

The Courtyard (Monk General Chat)

Meanwhile, in Seattle, there's about a foot, maybe a tad more, of snow accumulation after 3 different fronts passing through since Friday.  It's pretty damn impressive for this area. 

• Like 1

We got 8 inches of snow last night and it is still coming down in fits and starts. Unlike Seattle, this is normal winter weather. What is not normal is the freezing rain we got last week that is predicted to happen again on Wednesday. We are getting all the bad parts of winter without the fun of going skiing in fresh snow.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

We got 8 inches of snow last night and it is still coming down in fits and starts. Unlike Seattle, this is normal winter weather. What is not normal is the freezing rain we got last week that is predicted to happen again on Wednesday. We are getting all the bad parts of winter without the fun of going skiing in fresh snow.

47 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

After that accumulation, we got rain and high 30s/low40s temps.  So, now we have Slushmagedon.  I am not amused ... and I miss my Impreza 

Count your blessings folks - we've been below 0F since Feb 2, and will likely stay there for another week or so. ;) Only about 4-6" of snow though; but we had something stupid like 20"+ in Oct 2018, so I'm ok with not getting much now (except that it would be warmer if it snowed *sigh* tradeoffs).

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

After that accumulation, we got rain and high 30s/low40s temps.  So, now we have Slushmagedon.  I am not amused ... and I miss my Impreza 

Look on the bright side. All that slush has not frozen to solid ice yet. :P 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, Defining said:

Count your blessings folks - we've been below 0F since Feb 2, and will likely stay there for another week or so. ;) Only about 4-6" of snow though; but we had something stupid like 20"+ in Oct 2018, so I'm ok with not getting much now (except that it would be warmer if it snowed *sigh* tradeoffs).

I do, actually, but we had a very unusual snow event - it's been about 10 years since the last like this. The city handled parts of it well (certain main roads were kept clear, but no side roads), but Seattle basically spazzes at 2", and we had 11".  And we had cold rain on top of it, which combined with the snow resulted in up to 60K people without power at one point (combination of downed tree limbs and downed lines, I think).  So...it's been a stupid week. :D  

The melting is well underway though, thankfully. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I couldn't figure out why there weren't any recent posts in the Monks, then I realized I was in the old challenge. Just wanted to stop by and say hi !

• Like 3

Hey yall, so, uh, match day (read: the thing I have been working to for the last 3.5 years and also where I go for the next 3 years, if I go anywhere at all)  is March 15th, and up until then i'm probably going to be a Massive Anxiety fest.  I'm trying not to eat my feelings.  Advice for coping? 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Treva said:

Hey yall, so, uh, match day (read: the thing I have been working to for the last 3.5 years and also where I go for the next 3 years, if I go anywhere at all)  is March 15th, and up until then i'm probably going to be a Massive Anxiety fest.  I'm trying not to eat my feelings.  Advice for coping? 

Keep healthy options as much as possible. Make sure you have nuts, fruits and veggies. One thing that has helped me with it the last few weeks is asking myself if I"m hungry enough to eat celery/carrots/some sort of veggie instead of the sugary thing I want. Has helped me to check in with huger cues and semi help curb the crazy eating (then again I have gone through a whole box of girlscout cookies the last 2 days, but my co worker thankfully finally took the case of them home) 

Also I know your schedule is crazy with everything, but try getting some walks in when you're feeling particularly stressed. Even a 5 min walk around can help a lot!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, Treva said:

I agree with @Toshimi. Having relative healthy snacks you like will help you avoid the really problematic foods.

Play music as much as you can. You can put all the feelings into your playing. You know all kinds of dramatic music. Play that. :D 

You can also take out stress at the gym and by scrubbing the heck out of things. Keep breathing. You are awesome. You will do a great job at whichever place you go.

• Like 3

Any time you feel the anxiety coming on, breathe deep into your belly on a 4 count, hold for a 7 count, release on an 8 count.

Supposedly, this turns off the parasympathetic nervous system and downshifts you down to sympathetic, which hopefully should short out the physiological responses to anxiety and in turn should help short out the mental responses.

I know it helps me when I need to calm down from my urge to kill my neighbors for playing their music too loud, and it also helps me fall asleep. Maybe it'll help you too.

• Like 2

THANK YOU EVERYONE.  These techniques have helped me out through my week and I've been able to get sleep and keep the anxiety mostly under control.  These are great tips and I really appreciate them!!

• Like 3