• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Switches Tactics Mid-Challenge

It's still going to be a quiet challenge from me and no promises I won't fall off again like I did the end of last challenge. Tax season is about to kick into full swing and I just don't have a whole lot of spoons

Goals:

Exercise - This is just to keep doing what I've been doing; kickboxing three days a week and lifting two days. This went really well last challenge and my goal is to keep it up.

Food - As the title said, I'm cutting carbs. Blah. 

9e76d9b967e8c60b49718d80aafd8349.jpg

"Wait, the vegetarian is cutting out carbs? What will she eat?"

I'm cutting grains, added sugar, rice, and potatoes. Beans and peanuts (let's be real, peanut butter) are staying. I'd been thinking about cutting grains for a while since what I'm doing is great for maintaining but it's obviously not working for cutting the last bit of fat I want to lose.

I read Tim Ferriss's 4 Hour Body and am reading Joel Fuhrman's Eat To Live, and while they're very different philosophies (and both a bit crazy tbh) they both agree that refined grains, sugar, and potatoes just don't do you any benefits. Also dairy which I've been wanting to limit anyway. The added benefit is it actually moves me towards a whole foods plant based diet which is my ultimate eating goal

So we'll give this a fair shot. For the most part I think it won't be too bad but breakfast is going to be a challenge. No oats and no jelly means my go-to breakfast is reduced to peanut butter, which is awesome...but not as a stand alone meal :) I don't like eggs and want to cut them out too so that's not an option. I'm experimenting with tofu scrambles but I'm realizing that since I don't like eggs I'm also not a big fan of egg substitutes. 

So there we are. Let's get this going I guess

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Maigs said:

they both agree that refined grains, sugar, and potatoes just don't do you any benefits.

What about happiness? Happiness is a benefit ;) I'm actually somewhat serious about that. I've been flirting with this on and off for a few months and I can 100% say that I've got no intention of cutting out any of these things permanently. However I am willing to do it in the short term to get myself closer to my weight loss goal (although if I'm honesty I think that it works only because it's different). 

Nonetheless good luck in your quest. I hope you feel better doing it than I do! I mean that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

What about happiness? Happiness is a benefit ;) I'm actually somewhat serious about that. I've been flirting with this on and off for a few months and I can 100% say that I've got no intention of cutting out any of these things permanently. However I am willing to do it in the short term to get myself closer to my weight loss goal (although if I'm honesty I think that it works only because it's different). 

Nonetheless good luck in your quest. I hope you feel better doing it than I do! I mean that. 

That's a fair question. I will definitely be listening to my body as I do this. Years ago (before going vegetarian) I tried the primal diet and I felt like shit and gave it up after 3 weeks (long enough to say I gave it a fair shot). 

Food is weird for me. I don't actually enjoy it like a lot of people do. I think my sense of taste is underdeveloped. I can taste, but there's no nuance. I accidentally left chili powder out of a Mexican casserole a while back and couldn't tell the difference even though I knew it was missing. I just mindlessly eat. Out of boredom, frustration, subconsciously thinking it will make me happy because that's what we're constantly told. Cutting out grains and sugars will mean no mindlessly snacking on shit that makes me feel bad physically and mentally. You don't want to know how many animal crackers I ate last week just because someone brought in a FIVE POUND container so they were there :)

So I don't think cutting these things will actually make me less happy with the way I eat as long as it's the nutrients my particular body feels good on. And as long as I get to keep my peanut butter :)

f90989ae8afdf9533c5960685bd0b9d7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Week 0 Day 1

Exercise - Kickboxing. Apparently people who go to this gym don't miss Monday's. It was packed. Luckily the trainers are really good at staggering people out in a way that keeps things moving really well. Burned 325 calories according to my heart rate monitor

Food - Stuck to my goal. The Girl Scout cookies pictured above were not opened. The Thin Mints are in the freezer and the Samoas/Caramel Delites are hiding in the top of my closet. Tim Ferris's plan not only allows but encourages an all out cheat day once a week (to the point of being vaguely sick...). I'm not sure if I'll go as far as he says, but I probably will allow one day a week to eat things like those cookies

• Breakfast - Tofu scramble with onions, bell peppers, black beans, and hot sauce. Not bad but I'm not sure it can be a daily breakfast thing for me like PB&J oatmeal was. Part of my problem is that I am just not a breakfast person. I had to force myself to start eating it regularly a few years back. Very little is appetizing to me first thing in the morning. A low-carb friend gave a a recipe for Hemp Heart porridge that I'm gonna try and I know there are some veggie sausage/bacon products that I don't mind so I should have some options to change things up. I'd like to avoid relying on the veggie meats though, I'd like my food to stay as unprocessed as I can get
  • Lunch - Chipotle burrito bowl with no rice, double black beans, double fajitas, sofritas, and mild salsa. It was pretty good though I did kinda miss the rice. More to soak up the juices than anything else I think
  • Dinner - It was supposed to be Red Lentil stew but someone forgot to prep the crockpot so Hubs made burritos instead. I skipped the tortilla and the rice and had a taco salad with lettuce, refried beans, chili beans, and a ground beef replacement. Yup, processed meat replacements in all three meals. Not how this is supposed to go but I'm still prepping and figuring things out. The planned meal would have been fake meat free
  • Snacks - a tiny bit of trail mix at work that I should probably skip in the future. I wanted to eat more, but resisted. There was a few M&M's in there that I did eat but I don't regret, I just can't throw away perfectly yummy food
  • Like 3

Possible solution to my breakfast problem: hummus. I put some on my tofu scramble this morning instead of hot sauce and it was really good. I also made less than yesterday which probably helped how I felt after too

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Hey Maigs! Following!

Have you ever tried making your own vegan 'bacon'? If you're trying to avoid processed food, it might be worth trying. 

https://yupitsvegan.com/tofu-bacon/

I haven't yet but that recipe looks awesome! I'll have to try that this weekend

Glad to have you here. I missed you UK rangers when you all disappeared at the end of last challenge

23 hours ago, Maigs said:

So I don't think cutting these things will actually make me less happy with the way I eat as long as it's the nutrients my particular body feels good on. And as long as I get to keep my peanut butter :)

I just think there is a balance to be struck :) I've been toying with low carb for a few months now and my body hates it. It does make me less happy and not because I don't get to eat pasta and potatoes. That's a thing but because my body really did not like me doing that. I gave it more than 3 weeks too. That said I think it's incredibly individual and what is torturous to one person is a dream to another. I think the only real and credible danger is to believe that there is One Diet to Rule them All. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I just think there is a balance to be struck 

Definitely. I have no desire to feel crappy. And even with cutting out grains I'm certainly not "low carb". Even though total calories were surprisingly low given how much I felt like I was eating (1600 even with Chipotle and seconds for dinner) I still ended up at 180g of carbs

Kickboxing??!?  Remind me not to make you angry.  =) 

But on a serious note, this sounds like a great challenge.  One of my housemates is also doing the low carb thing, but he says sweet potatoes are still OK.  Are they on the menu for you?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cardinal_22 said:

Kickboxing??!?  Remind me not to make you angry.  =) 

Lol, this is a fairly recent thing for me. My old gym had a kickboxing class I liked but it was only one day a week and at a time I regularly couldn't make. Then right after Thanksgiving I joined a 9Round gym which is HIIT kickboxing and an absolute blast. 

19 minutes ago, Cardinal_22 said:

But on a serious note, this sounds like a great challenge.  One of my housemates is also doing the low carb thing, but he says sweet potatoes are still OK.  Are they on the menu for you?

For now I'm leaving them out. Even though I love them I don't end up eating them that often anyway. And even Joel Fuhrman's book puts them in the same category of nutrient deficient compared to non-starchy vegetables

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 2

Exercise - Rest Day

Food - Meh. Overall good, , but see my "snacks" below. I did not have any of the Halo Top yet. It will wait for me in the freezer with the Thin Mints. I just couldn't NOT buy PB&J ice cream when I saw it

Breakfast - Tofu scramble with veggies, black beans and hummus. I used maybe a third less tofu than last time and half of it was very firm and half was very soft (I finished off the first package and didn't realize how different the second one would be). It felt a lot better than the scramble yesterday, not sure if it's because of the hummus or because there was less

Lunch - Big salad with black beans, almonds and hemp seeds (these are amazing!) and a tiny sipping soup from Cambell's. The salad should have been bigger and I wish I hadn't been out of olives. That oversight has been corrected and well as more shredded carrots bought since I used them up

Dinner - Red Lentil and Carrot soup. It one of the few 8 hour crockpot recipes I even kinda like, but I don't love it and Hubs is not a fan. The good news is it's tons of protein, vegan, and no processed crap. Which is good since it will be my lunch and or dinner for a while since there are four meal sized leftovers

Snacks - remember when I said I shouldn't have eaten that trail mix yesterday? Yeah, I have no self control once I start. I ate probably around 1.5-2 cups of it today which is an insane amount of calories. Going to have to put it on my no-go list for a while until I learn some restraint

• Like 2

PB&J is not a thing over at our place. Still i have this feeling that ice-cream is just delicious!

3 hours ago, Maigs said:

Snacks - remember when I said I shouldn't have eaten that trail mix yesterday? Yeah, I have no self control once I start. I ate probably around 1.5-2 cups of it today which is an insane amount of calories. Going to have to put it on my no-go list for a while until I learn some restraint

We could be twins, very good at just not doing, but once you start... For me (most of the times) it's just realizing up front that i just do not eat that first one...

• Like 1

I saw you also lift. Have you seen the BRUTAL thread (see my sig). It was a lot of fun you should really check it out and join up!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maigs said:

This is why I can't have food at work except my lunch...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

PB&J is not a thing over at our place. Still i have this feeling that ice-cream is just delicious!

I may have a minor addiction to peanut butter... :)

I ate a spoonful of the ice cream last night and was sadly reminded that while jelly for me is always grape flavored, for everyone else it's usually strawberry :( I like strawberries, but I'm not a fan of strawberry flavored things

We could be twins, very good at just not doing, but once you start... For me (most of the times) it's just realizing up front that i just do not eat that first one...

2 hours ago, Stribs said:

This is why I can't have food at work except my lunch...

Unfortunately for me they stock up on snacks around here for tax season so there's four pounds of trail mix to try and avoid even though I have to go there multiple times a day to fill up my water

I saw you also lift. Have you seen the BRUTAL thread (see my sig). It was a lot of fun you should really check it out and join up!

I'm just starting back trying to lift. I'm just trying to get in the habit of going twice a week and being very careful about form. I'm afraid if I join any sort of challenge on it I'll push myself too much and burn out. Maybe in a few months when I'm feeling more confident in sticking with it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maigs said:

Unfortunately for me they stock up on snacks around here for tax season so there's four pounds of trail mix to try and avoid even though I have to go there multiple times a day to fill up my water

Today's tactic: eat all four pounds this week so then it's no longer there to tempt me :D

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

Heh it might be a good thing that the halo top isn't everything you dreamed it would be emoji14.png

Lol, probably is. Thought I'm usually pretty good about not buying that kind of stuff when it isn't a novelty. I like their peanut butter one but don't get it very often

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 3

Exercise - Kickboxing class. I had a doctors appointment (just my annual physical, not sick or anything) in the afternoon so I left work, drove all the way across town, got told I'm healthy, then drove all the way back across town to punch things :) The doctor said that my wrist pain seems to be a ligament issue, probably caused by being a computer jockey at work and just aggravated by exercise. Reconfiguring my desk/keyboard setup might help as well as wearing a wrist brace.

The gym posted a thing about a member that joined a year ago today and has done over 380 workout there. Think about the math. And they're not open Sundays. He's freaking dedicated. He's also lost 50ish pounds and has a pretty impressive body recomposition. I can't imagine I'll do double workouts like him, but I am tempted to go more often than 3 times a week. I'm just afraid of burning myself out

Food - Uuumm......I'd rather not talk about it....

The meals were mostly good, but snacks were not

Breakfast - same tofu scramble as yesterday

Lunch - Boss had a burrito bar thing brought into work so I had two burritos with refried beans, lettuce, bell peppers, guac, and salsa. I avoided the cheese but has two tortillas breaking my no processed carbs goal. I'm okay with this since it wasn't a meal I chose and it was overall a good, healthy meal

Dinner - a beyond meat burger patty on a bed of spinach with salsa on top. That was surprisingly good for something I threw together with no plan in the 5 minutes before people showed up for game night. This will probably be my breakfast either tomorrow or Friday to use up the second patty

Snacks - an obscene amount of trail mix. I went into fuck-it mode and just kept going back for more. Then I ate half the pint of Halo Top after dinner

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

I'm afraid if I join any sort of challenge on it I'll push myself too much and burn out.

Don't think of it as a challenge, just think of it as a nice get-together of people that share the same hobby!

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

Maybe in a few months when I'm feeling more confident in sticking with it

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home gif

3 hours ago, Maigs said:

an obscene amount of trail mix.

The trail-mix, maybe you should be more ...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor do not buy them gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Don't think of it as a challenge, just think of it as a nice get-together of people that share the same hobby!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home gif

I'll definitely keep it on mind. Right now I also have to balance the fact that I'll likely be working 20+ extra hours a week until mid-April with my desire to be a fit badass. After April things should calm down nicely and the weather will be better so things should get pretty awesome around here

10 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

The trail-mix, maybe you should be more ...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor do not buy them gif

I didn't buy it! I actually won't buy it now because I have no self control.

This morning I started back up but had a talk with myself about how I'm a grown-up who should know better and that it's hindering my goals so hopefully I effectively put the kibash on that. Calculating an estimate of the calories worth of trail mix I ate yesterday helped. Let's just say it was around my 6ft husband's TDEE...

c3190866e40989b1465e1d055fb1f506.jpg

• Like 1