• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Switches Tactics Mid-Challenge

The good from yesterday that I forgot to mention:

I turned down tater tots (Hubs made a plate for himself that looked like the one above).

I also turned down Cinnabon donut-hole thingies friends brought from Taco Bell. I had them before and they weren't that good but I since I often eat things just because they're there I was proud of not even being tempted to mindlessly grab one

f7a157e1ac1d2d7e74defacc46e15675.jpg

• Like 1

Week 0 - Day 4

Exercise - I considered being lazy to top off a bit of a fail day but dragged my ass to the gym and was happy I did. I got a really good lifting session in. I'm happy I pulled back on the weights last time. It seems too light when I look at the numbers, but it feels right. When I'd try going heavier I ended up using my shoulders to compensate for my weak triceps in tricep extensions, now I feel them 100% in my triceps. And my left elbow doesn't try and flare out during curls. I may switch out the RDLs for a different lower body exercise, that one just doesn't feel right now matter how I change it up. I feel a stretch in the back of my knees, but not really anything in my muscles. I've done weights in ranges of 40-85lbs. And I absolutely don't have the balance to do single leg ones.

Food - After having the "you're an adult" conversation with myself I stopped eating trail mix, but said fuck it at dinner and had my fajitas in tortillas instead of in a bowl. Not a bad fail, but it's these kinds of allowances that have kept me stalled for 2.5 years

Breakfast - beyond meat burger patty on spinach with salsa

Lunch - leftover Red Lentil & Carrot soup

Dinner - two large tortillas full of fajita filling (chik'n, onion and bell peppers cooked in spicy v8)

Snacks - about 1.5 cups of trail mix before I stopped myself

81f3141e34ada5fd466623bd43f5531b.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

I got a really good lifting session in. I'm happy I pulled back on the weights last time. It seems too light when I look at the numbers, but it feels right. When I'd try going heavier I ended up using my shoulders to compensate for my weak triceps in tricep extensions, now I feel them 100% in my triceps. And my left elbow doesn't try and flare out during curls. I

Well done! As long as it feels right, then it's right. Correct form is more important than the weight. 

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

81f3141e34ada5fd466623bd43f5531b.jpg

^^THIS^^ it doesn't matter how many plates are on the bar, as long as you are working at your maximum potential.

• Like 1

Week 0 Friday

Exercise - went to the gym and had another great workout. I was so freaking pumped when I left I probably looked like a loon as I energetically sang along with the music in my car

Food - Ugh, I had another fuck-it with food though. I tried to have the "you're an adult" talk with myself regarding the trail mix, and it worked pretty well until the last hour and then I had too much. Then for dinner I had no plan and we ended up ordering Taco Bell and I mowed down three spicy potato tacos and then finished off the pint of Halo Top

But I do know that a big part of my problem is not having a plan. And I may have finally figured out a way to have a definite, yet flexible meal plan. Sunday I will make something that will give me yummy and healthy leftovers for lunch as well as pre-prep what I can for the next 1 or two dinners and a HUGE salad. The dinners don't have to be slow-carb compliant, I decided it was too hard to be super strict without driving Hubs to eat out and me to say fuck-it. But I will eat a large & compliant salad first at dinner time, then have a small (half-ish) serving of dinner, leaving more leftovers available for lunches or later dinners when we end up with too many leftovers :)

After/while figuring this out I got super motivated. Not to jinx myself since I've gotten super motivated before only to have it last just a few days, but between figuring that out and finally finding exercise that I LOVE, I'm feeling like I might have found the kick in the pants I've been needing for a while

• Like 1

Week 0 Saturday

Exercise - Normally Saturday is a rest day, but Hubs had to go into work so I decided to take advantage of him being gone and went to kickboxing. I had a great workout and was actually tempted to go around a second time, but needed to get the house ready for some nerds Hubs is hosting. I also managed to get in two walks; 1 mile with the Floof that I had to cut short because my face was cold and 2 miles after the nerds showed up to get some snacks for Hubs. Then I played some Beat Saber (one of my favorite songs for it came on at kickboxing and it'd been stuck in my since) and got some more sweat on. All told I'm at 13k steps for the day

Food - I ran out of tofu so I went back to my standard PB&J oatmeal for the day. Then I ended up getting distracted and forgot to eat again until about 4pm. I made myself a huge salad and then ate some mixed veg with hummus. I wasn't even really tempted to get myself a treat while getting snacks for Hubs

e7db7bfc67fe38859f5d5255d68a30bf.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

I decided it was too hard to be super strict without driving Hubs to eat out and me to say fuck-it

Story of my life.  We eat out so much because of this.  But for us, I think it comes down to laziness.  But this week we are grocery shopping TOGETHER so he can't say shit about what I buy (lots of veggies).  ha.  

Sounds like you're crushing your workout goals!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stribs said:

Story of my life.  We eat out so much because of this.  But for us, I think it comes down to laziness.  But this week we are grocery shopping TOGETHER so he can't say shit about what I buy (lots of veggies).  ha.  

I don't think we go out to eat a ton (once a week or so) but I've also really tried to take Hubs and my tastes into account when figuring out what meals are keepers and what aren't. There are a few meals I'd make more often but Hubs doesn't like them. If I made those, or say a huge salad and nothing else, he'd maybe eat some, then try and find something he likes which would probably be something unhealthy and expensive. So I have meals that are less healthy than I would like, but healthier than going out to eat

He's generally NOT allowed to go grocery shopping with me because we spend (literally) twice as much and end up with a bunch of junk (both his picks and mine since my willpower goes down when he's there)

1 hour ago, Stribs said:

Sounds like you're crushing your workout goals!!!!

Thanks! It's easy when it's such a fun workout

• Like 1

Just thought I'd share the long creepy basement hallway I have to walk down to get to my lifting gym. Which, of course I did today :)

IMG_20190210_111349467.jpg

• Like 1

I debated on whether or not to share, but if I'm going to ride this second (third...) wind of my transformation I might as well go full steam ahead.

Starting point 2/10/19:
Weight - 163.8lbs

Bodyfat - 24.0%

Waist - 31"

Hips - 37.75"

Chest - 33"

Thigh - 23.8"

Calf - 15.75"

Bicep - 12.25"

Photos in spoiler for size and mild indecency

Spoiler

IMG_20190209_075439649.jpg

IMG_20190209_075537369.jpg

IMG_20190209_075627591.jpg

Goal - This is flexible since I don't know what I'll like until I get there, but it's something to shoot for.

Weight - 145lbs

Bodyfat <20%

Waist - 28"

I will record weight and bodyfat % weekly and take new pictures and measurements at the beginning of each challenge. My plan for getting to this goal is still my challenge goals, that doesn't change

I’ve seen you around the Rangers forever, but somehow I don’t think I’ve ever read your threads. So... hi! I’m kinda in a similar boat as you - recently found a form of exercise I love (climbing!) but now have to get the diet in line. 

What recipe did you use for the tofu scramble? I discovered I quite like tofu and would like to move to a more plant-based diet as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadri said:

I’ve seen you around the Rangers forever, but somehow I don’t think I’ve ever read your threads. So... hi! I’m kinda in a similar boat as you - recently found a form of exercise I love (climbing!) but now have to get the diet in line. 

What recipe did you use for the tofu scramble? I discovered I quite like tofu and would like to move to a more plant-based diet as well. 

There's too many Rangers to be able to keep up with everyone! I love climbing too but it's too awkward for me to make it a regular thing. The only place in town is part of a college campus and I'm 33 and I don't have anyone to go with me and parking is a pain

I don't really have a recipe. I take about 1.5 servings of tofu (I personally prefer the very firm stuff) smash it with a fork to make it vaguely scrambled egg texture. Mix it with about 1/4 cup each black beans and a frozen diced onion and bell pepper mix, plus spinach and cook on the stove top for 10ish minutes. I've put a shake of turmeric because recipes I read suggested it and salt. Then I put a glob of hummus on it (2ish tbsp) and eat away 

• Like 1

Week 1 - Sunday

Exercise - I made it to the gym and did some lifting. I might have figured out RDL's. When I was taught them the trainer mentioned leaning forward until you feel the stretch in your hamstrings and keeping your back straight so I focused on those. Today I focused on my glutes and engaging them as I stood up and I felt it! I also felt more comfortable with my regular deadlifts and stronger on other lifts even though I'm not going up in weights yet. In the evening I got my butt out and took Floof for a walk and hit 10k steps

Food - Hubs made biscuits and gravy again (yummy). As is pretty normal for weekends we didn't have a lunch between a latish breakfast and an early dinner. Dinner was Mexican Quinoa (in a bowl, not as a taco). I had a banana at some point. I prepped a huge ass salad to eat before dinner the next few nights and a Mexican Casserole (I seem to eat "mexican" a lot...) for Hubs to throw in the oven tomorrow since I'll be home late (meeting a tax client, then hitting the gym).

• Like 3

How I'm talking myself out of trail mix today because of course this is my least favorite of the starting pictures I took :)

be9275251dcd21b02fcd123f25d2f280.jpg

*Note, this is in good fun. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by those pictures, I look quite a bit fatter in my mind. It's not where I want to be but it's so far from where I was

• Like 1

Week 1 - Monday

Exercise - I made it to kickboxing even though awkward timing with meeting a client meant I didn't get there until about after 6:30 (usually there around 5:15). It's much quieter there that late. I got some personal pointers from the owner and he seemed genuinely impressed by how quickly/well I put them into practice. Somehow I ended up getting 10k steps in even though the weather made it so I couldn't walk at lunch or after work

Food - Well....the good news is that the trail mix is gone now :)Hubs ruined his dinner by snacking too so we decided to pass on making the mexican casserole I prepped yesterday and we'll have it tomorrow instead. This evening I packed up some veggies to take to work tomorrow so I can snack on that instead of the junk food boss supplies us. I estimated my calories for the day around 2200

At lunch I went out and bought myself a cheapy wrap for my wrist. It does seem to help already so I may look around for a better quality one.

Between work and the client meeting I stopped by Kohls and bought some more workout clothes. I had a mini-win when I tried on a pair of shorts and didn't immediately hate them on me. I didn't like them either but I have such bad feelings regarding my legs that not hating seeing them in shorts is kind of a big deal. I don't even like wearing leggings to workout in

I'm considering buying a new Fitbit with a heart rate monitor. I don't know if it will make it that much more accurate, but my non-HR one will log 30 minute walks as 220 calories, 60 minutes of weights as 217 calories, and 30 minutes of cardio kickboxing as 170 calories (which is actually 350-400 calories according to the HR monitor the gym provided). I like how slim mine is and an HR version of it is $130. I just thought of it today so I need to do some research before I decide

• Like 4

Caught up!

I like your meal strategy - you seem like you're hitting a nice moderate point. All least now that the trail mix is gone ;)

I'm trying to pre-prep so I'll eat more veggies too - my strategy of late is a biiiiig pile of roasted veggies, which can be heated up and added to an also big pile of greens (I like it when it gets a little wilty). Olive oil and balsamic for dressing. (I use feta too, but I'm sure it would still be great without). So good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stribs said:

Nice job on the steps!  I'm glad your nemesis is gone from your workplace!  Good call on the veggies!

Thanks! I meant to bring the veggies yesterday too but forgot

2 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Caught up!

I like your meal strategy - you seem like you're hitting a nice moderate point. All least now that the trail mix is gone ;)

I'm trying to pre-prep so I'll eat more veggies too - my strategy of late is a biiiiig pile of roasted veggies, which can be heated up and added to an also big pile of greens (I like it when it gets a little wilty). Olive oil and balsamic for dressing. (I use feta too, but I'm sure it would still be great without). So good.

I'm just worried that they'll buy more trail mix since I wasn't the only one eating it. In about 2 weeks our office of 9 people have gone through 5lbs of animal crackers, 8lbs of pretzel mix, and 4lbs of trail mix. Plus some croissants that were brought in yesterday that I dutifully ignored

After I get through this batch of veggies I might roast up a bunch for the next prep. I never though of putting them on a pile of greens but that sounds good. Do you add oil when you roast them? 

• Like 1

After I get through this batch of veggies I might roast up a bunch for the next prep. I never though of putting them on a pile of greens but that sounds good. Do you add oil when you roast them? 

Yes yes, lots of olive oil! And salt :) but then you don't need as much oil with the dressing, so it's okay.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

Yes yes, lots of olive oil! And salt :) but then you don't need as much oil with the dressing, so it's okay.

I've been putting chunky Pico de gallo type salsas on my salads lately and it's really good for very few calories but lots of nutrients. I may have to try it on this too

I've been putting chunky Pico de gallo type salsas on my salads lately and it's really good for very few calories but lots of nutrients. I may have to try it on this too
Mmmmm yes that sounds delicious!

Well, I disappeared for a few days there. Tax season officially kicked into full gear for me on Wednesday and I've barely had time to breathe. It's going to be an intense couple of months, which I knew, but now I KNOW if you know what I mean

The good - I made it to the gym 4 times this week even though I've been meeting side clients after work and working late all week. I did have to skip my second lifting session and I think that will keep happening until April but that's okay. Also I've managed to keep my house reasonably clean which helps greatly with anxiety levels

The bad - I fell into old habits and ate like crap. I even had soda 4 days in a row which I never do anymore.

The slightly less bad - I do not enjoy how my body feels when I eat junk and drink soda so I think I'll be back to eating less crappy now. Not great, and not at all worrying about it being slow carb, but reasonably healthy

• Like 2

So knowing that I'm going to be working crazy hours is not the same as knowing what it means to be working crazy hours. So on that note I'm changing tactics for a bit. I'm still planning on hitting kickboxing three times a week and lifting once (twice just isn't going to happen). But food....

The new goal is to simply eat three meals a day and don't snack.

Boss went shopping for the office last week and bought:
10lbs animal crackers

13.75lbs pretzel mix
8lbs trail mix
5.5lbs mixed nuts
2.75lbs peanut butter filled pretzels

So instead of eating lunch and dinner I've had my hand in one snack jar or another all day. Not only is this not even close to how I want to be eating, it turns out that eating my bodyweight in trail mix messes with my stomach.

I'm also needing to do more food prep on the weekends. I'm often not home until it's too late to reasonably cook something not pre-prepped. I don't know if I'll get a chance this weekend since I'm working tomorrow and we're hosting our monthly board game night Sunday

I absolutely hate doing food prep, but damn, it works! I tend to do it on a Sunday at the same time as I'm making dinner. That way it doesn't feel like I'm doing any more cooking than I normally would do on that day. The result is that I eat the same thing for lunch every day for a week, but it stops me going out for lunch and buying a load of crap. 

• Like 1

I think meal prep for me is different than for many others. 90%+ of my lunches are leftovers from dinner so meal prep for me is getting the dinners ready to cook, not prepping lunches. Some things like casseroles are easy, but others don't pre-prep so we'll (like when there's diced potatoes). Then there's the delicate balance of making sure there's enough food without ending up with too many leftovers and food ends up going bad. It's doable, it just hurts my brain trying to calculate the food needs around the unknown variable of how much we'll eat at dinner and how many of the leftovers Hubs will eat (he goes out at lunch fairly often).

Speaking of hurting my brain, guess what brilliant person decided to try quitting caffeine again right in the middle of tax season where I'm working 60+ hour weeks? My anxiety started acting up again and so I said screw it, I'm done with this addiction.

I'm on day 2 and gave in and had one after lunch because I literally dozed off while reading on my phone after eating (I even got decent sleep last night). So yeah, I've been dealing with a headache for like 30 hours now

So, let's try to get this back on track shall we?

Sunday

Food - Pancakes for breakfast. One big pancake for me plus a banana and mandarin orange. Late lunch/early dinner was a pile of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower with hummus and African Peanut Stew. Then I made a batch of chocolate chip banana mini muffins and proceeded to eat far too many of them. I made 4 dozen (they're about 1" in diameter) and between the four of us at the board game night we finished off three of them and I will admit to being the primary culprit. Oh, I also ate some edamame and weird Japanese kitkats (almond and cranberry) that the friends brought.

Exercise - Despite getting hit with a crazy snow storm Saturday evening/night I made it to the lifting gym and got a pretty good session in. I'm feeling much better about my deadlifts and am very slowly increasing the weights. I also started increasing the weights from some of the other lifts I backed down a few weeks ago and feel good about those too

Caffeine - A new un-official goal that I reserve the right to drop at any time. But I made it the whole day without any caffeine. Well, except what's in the Excederine I finally took around 6pm

Monday

Food - Back to my old breakfast since it's easy and I'm going in an hour early now. Lunch was more of the veggies with hummus and peanut stew. After dozing off I allowed a small bit of trail mix that was still technically part of lunch and not a snack :) I also decided to allow a small amount of trail mix right before leaving on kickboxing nights if I feel I need something to eat first, but I might retract that allowance since I certainly didn't need it today but justified some anyway. Dinner was a smallish portion of a vegetarian meatloaf family recipe I prepped yesterday for Hubs to throw in the oven

Exercise - Made it to kickboxing and loved it. I'm definitely getting fitter, but I'm also still definitely weak in my core and with pushups. Since I'm not likely to make a second lifting session during the week for the next two months I might try fitting in a home core/pushup workout somewhere. No promises though :) I really should work in a mobility session too since my right hip is trying to act up again

• Like 3