• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Ye Relatively New & Mostly Still Fancy Leaky Tankard: Ranger Guildhall Chat

You people, you gonna argue about the man's name when [mention=24241]Xena[/mention] is back with us? Round of applause please. Also, round of drinks on me.
giphy.gif
Wonders how Raider is going to wear all those drinks.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2019 at 7:31 PM, Xena said:

I think the innkeeper is the same as the barkeep??

It completely blew my mind.

Bertrand prefers the livery and pomp of Innkeeper because it sounds more officious and administration-minded than the lowly Barkeep.

After all, he keeps this Guild running more smoothly than any humble Guild Leader or Ambassador...

He controls the food and booze inventory.  ;)

• Like 6

Bertrand prefers the livery and pomp of Innkeeper because it sounds more officious and administration-minded than the lowly Barkeep.

After all, he keeps this Guild running more smoothly than any humble Guild Leader or Ambassador...

He controls the food and booze inventory. 
I always thought that the Innkeeper was the secret true leader of the guild.

Anyone who can keep this bunch of crazies, er I mean unique individuals, in some semblance of order has to be the person in charge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Thom Stépan said:

I always thought that the Innkeeper was the secret true leader of the guild.

Anyone who can keep this bunch of crazies, er I mean unique individuals, in some semblance of order has to be the person in charge.

He's not the leader, he just enjoys the fact that no one would ever cross him on anything. All the guild leaders know Bertrand's not in charge, nor does he have any authority, but we all do what he says anyway.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2019 at 4:09 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

You people, you gonna argue about the man's name when @Xena is back with us? Round of applause please. Also, round of drinks on me.

giphy.gif

AWWW  Thanks!!! MIssed you!!!

Not strictly relevant, but this is one of the cooler things that came up when I googled "Xena returns"

image.thumb.png.65883b75317c3f36b8d591eda552ca34.png

On 2/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, Thom Stépan said:

You havent been away for as long as this Ranger.

Good to see you again,@Xena.

Welcome back Thom! Great to see you again too!!

On 2/23/2019 at 4:55 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

He controls the food and booze inventory.  ;)

The barkeep and I have a lovely nodding/grunting relationship. (I'm picturing some of the legit weightlifters at my gym who I don't actually talk to but with whom I've built up some vague sense of respect).

• Like 7

He's not the leader, he just enjoys the fact that no one would ever cross him on anything. All the guild leaders know Bertrand's not in charge, nor does he have any authority, but we all do what he says anyway.
Never cross the Innkeeper. The unwritten code of the Rangers Guild.

There are rumours, of course, about Rangers who didnt take the advice of the Innkeeper. Some say they disappeared, others that they were sent through a trans-dimensional portal, still other rumours say they became food for the pigs. But the worst rumour is that those Rangers who didn't listen to Bertrand became Scouts...

• Haha 4

On 2/23/2019 at 5:02 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

he just enjoys the fact that no one would ever cross him on anything

I would never cross anyone who gave me food. It's just wrong.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

I would never cross anyone who gave me food. It's just wrong.

Yeah. Never, ever, ever cross the person feeding you. You never know what they might put in your food...or drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deadlifts will cure me.

@DaemonCorax please tell me that's a genuine sentiment and you have some resources on that front. I miss my deadlifts and know that there are some people who use them as physical therapy, but last I checked, I was lucky to find any on my continent. :(

Well, yes it is... If you haven't been following along I'm a pregnant climber, former power lifter and road cyclist. In the past 7 months I've gone back to my lifting roots basically for the mental reward while pregnancy continues to put my brain (and everything else) out on it's behind. Small amounts of joy from deadlifts are truly healing. When everything hurts and my hormones are making me feel very not like myself, lifting is giving me some moments to fall back on. :)

I'm in the US if that helps.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dragonwolf said:

lucky to find any on my continent.

There are no deadlifts on your continent?  I am respectfully curious what you mean by this.

For what it's worth, deadlifts cured my chronic back and shoulder pain.  It wasn't instant, but it was a definite, obvious correlation.  If you want sources for the science on this, check out Barbell Medicine.  They've put out a ton of content about the subject.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

There are no deadlifts on your continent?  I am respectfully curious what you mean by this.

For what it's worth, deadlifts cured my chronic back and shoulder pain.  It wasn't instant, but it was a definite, obvious correlation.  If you want sources for the science on this, check out Barbell Medicine.  They've put out a ton of content about the subject.

lol, no, not no deadlifts. No trainers who focus on rehabilitation using barbell training, particularly when dealing with degenerative disc disease (which is a completely different beast from rehab after acute injuries).

I'd been looking off and on for many years now, after I found one in Australia that did it. At first, there was no one at all that I could find here in the US. Since it's not uncommon for me to find something and have it click for me ("this makes sense! Why is no one doing this?!") before it really becomes a "thing," I've been waiting and keeping an eye out. A few years later, I started finding them stateside....but on the west coast (go figure, though that doesn't help me here in the Midwest). I've thus far yet to find a therapist in my general region, let alone anything reasonably nearby. Ideally, I'd train with them in person at least for a while, given how I've been struggling and basically losing the battle to the point that I haven't been able to deadlifts in forever and even bodyweight squats are sketchy, let alone weighted in any manner. :(

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dragonwolf said:

lol, no, not no deadlifts. No trainers who focus on rehabilitation using barbell training, particularly when dealing with degenerative disc disease (which is a completely different beast from rehab after acute injuries).

I'd been looking off and on for many years now, after I found one in Australia that did it. At first, there was no one at all that I could find here in the US. Since it's not uncommon for me to find something and have it click for me ("this makes sense! Why is no one doing this?!") before it really becomes a "thing," I've been waiting and keeping an eye out. A few years later, I started finding them stateside....but on the west coast (go figure, though that doesn't help me here in the Midwest). I've thus far yet to find a therapist in my general region, let alone anything reasonably nearby. Ideally, I'd train with them in person at least for a while, given how I've been struggling and basically losing the battle to the point that I haven't been able to deadlifts in forever and even bodyweight squats are sketchy, let alone weighted in any manner. :(

Ah, I see.  Yes, what you're describing sounds exactly like what the barbell medicine guys are promoting.  Maybe someday it will catch on and spread around the country.  I'm sorry to hear that you have so much difficulty.  I can relate a little; my knees will only put up with very very slow progress and I have to be really careful with them.  I hope that you can find things that work for you!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dragonwolf said:

No trainers who focus on rehabilitation using barbell training, particularly when dealing with degenerative disc disease

This is fascinating to me. Outside the lifting crowd, as we all know, deadlifts sometimes have a scary reputation. But the idea of using big compound movements as a rehabilitative exercise makes so much sense to me - neurologically as well as muscularly (if that's the right word). I would think that a barbell program with accessory balance work would be right up your alley. I'm sorry it's so hard to find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd been looking off and on for many years now, after I found one in Australia that did it. At first, there was no one at all that I could find here in the US. Since it's not uncommon for me to find something and have it click for me ("this makes sense! Why is no one doing this?!") before it really becomes a "thing," I've been waiting and keeping an eye out. A few years later, I started finding them stateside....but on the west coast (go figure, though that doesn't help me here in the Midwest). I've thus far yet to find a therapist in my general region, let alone anything reasonably nearby. Ideally, I'd train with them in person at least for a while, given how I've been struggling and basically losing the battle to the point that I haven't been able to deadlifts in forever and even bodyweight squats are sketchy, let alone weighted in any manner.
Try any of the starting strength coaches. The guys who wrote Barbell Prescription are associated with Starting Strength and Mark Rippetoe.

• Like 2

Welcome one and all, to Ye Relatively New & Mostly Still Fancy Leaky Tankard: Ranger Guildhall for all of your general chatter needs and wants!

2K13-Apr-4-Tavern.1365002325.JPG

As has been tradition throughout our storied history (except those dark times when we were Guildhall-less), make yourselves comfortable while we wade our ways through Week Zero in preparation for the start of the second 4 Week Challenge cycle of 2019!  There's a rack by the door for your cloak and and armor, enchanted of course - if you find your personal stash overflowing with legendary gems, enchanted armor, or dungeon crawl detritus, and require us to store anything for you, ensure you hang onto your voucher to reclaim your items!  Also there will be a surcharge added to your Guild membership dues.

Officer Ranger Blacksmith Charsi is has upgraded her smithery workshop out back to Level 3 and can now readily craft just about any non-Legendary artifact, armor, or weapon.  Personally I wouldn't trust her with anything too shiny though, she's still refining her art (and never call her a Blunt Instrument if you value your teeth!)  Shem the traveling trinket merchant is back and has smartened up in an attempt to re-earn 'friendly neighborhood' back to that glamorous extended title.  Guildhall Management is reviewing the request this month. As with last month, Shem has set up a bazaar across the muddy road out front.  It seems to have expanded significantly, business must be good!

Ranger HQ is that beautiful (relatively) new rampart structure out in the courtyard (stop by to partake of that somewhat fresh new fortress smell) should you have questions or need anything of the Guild Leader or Ambassador team, and Innkeeper Bertrand can handle your nutrition, beverage, and entertainment needs as always!

BardsTaletavern.jpg

Glad to have you back, Rangers!  Pull up a chair and enjoy a song while we prepare ourselves to jump right into the February challenge!
Nice

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Shadri stumbles in and flops into an armchair by the fire, turning so her legs can dangle over one of the arms of the chair and gratefully accepting a massive mug of tea from Mr. Bertrand. "Gosh, I'm exhausted", she sighs. "And I got bit by this really weird-looking spider the other day..."

~~~~~

Unrelated PSA - free LoTR audiobook!

Spoiler

This guy made his own Lord of the Rings audiobook

with music and sound effects and the whole nine yards

and he did impressions of all the characters which are shockingly good

and it's overall really really well done

and also free, because Copyright 

so if you ever wanted a LoTR audiobook, now is your time!!

FoTR - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cjjdiknzeieol/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_FOTR

TTT - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jdmyib22aeqpm/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_TTT

RoTK - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6jmo2c5q9vbll/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_ROTK

• Like 7

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, Shadri said:

Shadri stumbles in and flops into an armchair by the fire, turning so her legs can dangle over one of the arms of the chair and gratefully accepting a massive mug of tea from Mr. Bertrand. "Gosh, I'm exhausted", she sighs. "And I got bit by this really weird-looking spider the other day..."

~~~~~

Unrelated PSA - free LoTR audiobook!

Hide contents

This guy made his own Lord of the Rings audiobook

with music and sound effects and the whole nine yards

and he did impressions of all the characters which are shockingly good

and it's overall really really well done

and also free, because Copyright 

so if you ever wanted a LoTR audiobook, now is your time!!

FoTR - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cjjdiknzeieol/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_FOTR

TTT - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jdmyib22aeqpm/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_TTT

RoTK - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6jmo2c5q9vbll/LOTR_Soundscape_Audiobook_-_ROTK

*kisses you on each cheek and your forehead for good measure* BLESS YOU FOR THESE LINKS

• Like 2

An electron walks into a bar and says, "This place sucks!"

The bartender says, "Why so negative?"

:-D

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Have you seen

I had not.  Thank you so so much.  :-D

• Like 1