• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Get a Life Guzz!

I've been gone for several years now, not because I didn't like you guys anymore, just that things were pretty shitty and I was in no fit state to participate in life.  Things are slowly getting back on an even keel and I've got to the point where I feel like I need THIS back in my life, although I kinda need to get a life first.  I'm really struggling with my life at the moment because it is so vastly different to the life I led back in 2014, where I was fit and active, had a job I loved, had a social life, and Had Fun.  Now I feel like a platic bag, floating on life's current, with no direction, no purpose.  I haven't worked since 2015 and I have virtually no life outside of the house.  It sucks, and it's not me, so I'm changing it!

List of awesome stuff to achieve in order to Get A Life

Numero uno - Get Clean

Numero dos - Get Organised

Numero tres - Get Busy

Numero cuatro - Get Moving

Numero cinco - Get Cooking

Numero seis - Get to Bed

Numero uno - Get Clean

Long story short I've been taking high doses of Tramadol and Gabapentin since the summer of '14 which I've finally been able to reduce (AND NOW FINALLY STOP! SQUEEEE!!!) but I'm struggling with the withdrawl symptoms.  Zero Week will possibly be a wipeout because I've been really sick with this but there are things I could have been doing to help myself - drinking plenty of fluids, eating fresh fruit (don't know if that actually works but I feel like it should) and getting some light exercise (which should help with the blood pressure/fainting bit).

• 3x glasses of water per day
  • 2x portions fresh fruit per day
  • 1x session of light exercise per day, such as a gentle walk.

Numero dos - Get Organised

My life has no structure.  My bf Colin gave up his job with the council to work from home, which is great, but it means that there is no timetable to follow.  No weekends off or Manic Mondays.  I've started a degree with the Open University and because I'm not working I though "Pffft!  Of course I can do that full time!" but I'm in that weird situation where, because I've got all the time in the world, I've not got time to do anything, and even basic tasks are going unfinished un-started.  I need to organise a timetable, and even better - stick to it!  That is going to be the single biggest challenge of my, ahem, challenge.

Numero tres - Get Busy

Things that must be included in my tmetable:

• 1hr study (mim) per day, mon-fri
  • 3x poop patrol/ water refills per week, mon/wed/fri?
  • 1x physio session per day (min)
  • 1x check jobs page each week
  • Write a new CV

Numero cuatro - Get Moving

• Aim for 6,000 steps (min) each day
  • 1x line dance session per week
  • 1x pilates session per week

Numero cinco - Get Cooking

I have not done any real cooking for a long time, my diet is now pretty reliant on processed foods.    My weight has been fairly steady and I'm not "concerned" about my weight/body, but the actual food I eat is pretty crap.  I like how my body feels when I eat well, so let's get that back.

• research recipes during zero week
  • 2x recipes (min) to be cooked per week

Numero seis - Get to Bed

Really simple, be in bed by 10:30pm each night.  Sleep might not happen during zero week because of withdrawl but I want to get this habit back on track and need some accountability to do that.

Wow, that seems like a long list, but I'm not really trying to fit loads extra into my day, just being firmer on the things that I bloody well aught to be doing anyway.  It's not like I've got a job to go to or a life that will get in the way anyway!   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I'm so glad you're back.

The fact that this is a non-zero number makes me very happy given what you've been through.

Thanks Tank, that means a lot :love_heart:

1 hour ago, Cardinal_22 said:

Apparently great minds think alike.  I just came back too.  Missed you!!!  =)

Duuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!  Great to see you!  **offers-internet-high-five**

45 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

I like your goals, they all look really doable, but still will push you. Best of luck

Hey Doug!  Cheers man!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, deftona said:

I am also super happy you're properly back :D

What is your degree in?

Why thank you!  Now we just need to see if I can stick it, lol! :D

Believe it or not, as recently as June I thought I would never be fit to go back to work ever again, but realised that I could potentially still work from home as a translator if I had a proper qualification.  So I signed up to do a degree in languages (with Spanish and English) only to get a diagnosis of Functional Neurological Disorder, get treatment, and get better!  So I’m now probably fit to return to work (and would prefer to be out working tbh) but I’ve started the degree and I’m enjoying it so we shall just have to wait and see how it all plays out.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Following for old times.

Hey Sloth!  Have you got a thread up yet?  I couldn’t find one...

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

He's been in battle log land for a long time. Check out his signature.

Yeah, but I’m always on here on my phone, I can’t see jack! :P 

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Love your goals, and the fact that you're back!

Hey!!!  Thank you, hopefully I will stick around for a bit this time too, lol!

Another wayward Ranger returns. I am back this year myself.

Following to encourage a fellow returnee.

I am needing a good kick up the butt, so thank you!  

Man, I am doing doing well with Zero Week.  The withdrawal symptoms are still strong and I am really struggling to find motivation to do anything (other than sweat, apparently).  

I had a good day on Tuesday, I made it to line dancing and got over 10,000 steps as a result, but I feel like my brain chemistry is punishing me for thinking that I was home free.  My sleep is better, but that’s very much a comparative thing.  And although I did actually cook something yesterday (bacon and egg pie - basically a quiche without cream, because I forgot to buy some!) it wasn’t exactly what I was striving for when I set my challenge goals. 

c718b6727392a3bd1e3b0915d42257cc.jpg

Sleep from last night...

fb7686d7a8b504f02e3ae8e17f39c172.jpg

Compared with a few days ago...

6dba8d45261afee520335f2972d523a7.jpg

And...

ffdd35286404601dbdb94e6a8cd283fc.jpg

• Like 3

Let me tell you a story about an American Film actor named Audie Murphy. He was from Texas, and enlisted to fight in WWII. The Navy and the Marine Corps rejected him because of his youth and small stature. The Army let him in, but tried to shunt him off into a non-combat role. Airborne rejected him out of hand, and he had to fight for his right to be in the infantry. He went on to win every award for Valor the US Army offered, including several offered by other nations. He rose through the ranks, getting a battlefield commission to 1st Lieutenant before he was wounded. He stayed in the National Guard and ended his career as a major. That's just background, however.

After the war he became an actor, and a relatively successful one. His undiagnosed PTSD gave him trouble all his life. By the 60's he realized he was dependent on Sleeping Pills. He locked himself in a hotel room for a week to break the habit, not coming out until he was detoxed.

His Wikipedia Article is an incredible read.

That's all to give background on this music video.

Sabaton's Song "To Hell And Back" (the same title as Murphy's Autobiography) is about Murphy, and the music video is partially inspired by him detoxing in that hotel room. There are also scenes from the Movie of the same title interspersed as well. I'm posting this song below the spoiler to let you know I think you are every bit as badass as Murphy in your struggles to get clean. It's also behind a spoiler because some of the images in the video can be disturbing, so make sure you're in a good place before watching.

Spoiler

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

And although I did actually cook something yesterday (bacon and egg pie - basically a quiche without cream, because I forgot to buy some!) it wasn’t exactly what I was striving for when I set my challenge goals. 

c718b6727392a3bd1e3b0915d42257cc.jpg

I think I just drooled on myself.    =P

39 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Let me tell you a story ... Sabaton's Song "To Hell And Back" (the same title as Murphy's Autobiography) is about Murphy, and the music video is partially inspired by him detoxing in that hotel room. 

Hide contents

Holy Crap!  That dude was amazing!  How come I’ve never heard of him, that’s shocking!

I’ve been slowly reducing my doses for about 6 months now and it’s been ok for the most part, but dropping from 100mg to 50mg was horrendous and this final push (stopping completely) has been very unpleasant.  The worst bit is the phantom sensations - the best way to describe it is like there’s a nest of spiders crawling about under your skin.  You know that the sensation isn’t real, but nothing you can do makes it go away.  Icky! :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Cardinal_22 said:

I think I just drooled on myself.    =P

Ha! Flatterer! (Please, carry on!)  :P 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hey,how's it going?

Thanks for the prod!  Things didn’t exactly work out during this challenge, so I ran away and hid for a bit. :P 

Im thinking I need a do-over and I’m FINALLY over the withdrawal (woohoo!) so here’s hoping that I can get some momentum for the next challenge.  I’m certainly in a better place to try than I was before, I just need to take those first steps. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Thanks for the prod!  Things didn’t exactly work out during this challenge, so I ran away and hid for a bit. :P 

Im thinking I need a do-over and I’m FINALLY over the withdrawal (woohoo!) so here’s hoping that I can get some momentum for the next challenge.  I’m certainly in a better place to try than I was before, I just need to take those first steps. 

Congrats on getting through the withdrawal. We missed you, but maybe putting all your focus on that was the best call. See you next challenge

• Thanks 1