• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: The following challenge is scheduled for ONE FALL

On 2/5/2019 at 10:20 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Today: Taught a class (it went fabulously and students were thanking me all the way out the door), then went for a walk to clear my head afterward -- the first time I've been outside all day, and it's 73F and beautiful.

It's nice to be appreciated! What do you teach? (sorry, new here)

7 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

True. :) But I feel sort of like white belt was level zero. 

Instructor last night pointed out that we're already in week 5 of 8! I'm gonna try to get to the gym tomorrow afternoon and work my forms some. Very little actual new material this test, but I don't want to get cocky. (I'm testing for "advanced gold" [aka gold belt with a black stripe], so the belt form is the same but there are a couple of semi-new self-defense moves I need to get smoother/better at).

That's actually a really cool system, constantly something to strive for. Must be very motivating! 

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

It's nice to be appreciated! What do you teach? (sorry, new here)

Library skillz, baby. Library skillz. I'm a library faculty member at a big university; I don't teach credit courses but I'm a frequent guest lecturer for classes.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

That's actually a really cool system, constantly something to strive for. Must be very motivating! 

I've only been taking karate since late last fall. I'm finding the built in level-up system very appealing. I want to hit blue by the end of the year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Library skillz, baby. Library skillz. I'm a library faculty member at a big university; I don't teach credit courses but I'm a frequent guest lecturer for classes.

One of my favorite lectures every year is when our librarian comes to talk to our department. She always has the best new data/reference management apps and helps our folks tame the magic that is pubmed searches. She is an awesome person and has predisposed me to think fondly about librarians as a whole.

I went to a reference librarian the other day for the very first time ever! You guys are so helpful (even though she couldn't actually help me find what I was looking for because it doesn't exist in the legal world at all but she was fantastic in trying). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sylph said:

One of my favorite lectures every year is when our librarian comes to talk to our department. She always has the best new data/reference management apps and helps our folks tame the magic that is pubmed searches. She is an awesome person and has predisposed me to think fondly about librarians as a whole.

51 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

I went to a reference librarian the other day for the very first time ever! You guys are so helpful (even though she couldn't actually help me find what I was looking for because it doesn't exist in the legal world at all but she was fantastic in trying). 

We live to serve, folks

So, it's a pretty light Friday at work, so I'm hoping to get out for an afternoon gym break. Will do some BW reps for the mini (side quest now?) and work on my belt form some. I've gotten some good technique notes from instructors over the past few weeks, so some time to just work on that will be useful.

Supposed to go out to that show tonight, but last night in Orlando Peter Murphy canceled due to illness, so am anxiously watching for news. I did bring my skull t-shirt to change into after work in the hopes that all goes well.

• Like 1

I do this. I find it exceptionally helpful for things that either have no real due date or are so far off in the future that it's hard to feel a sense of urgency about them. Highly recommend.

I’m TOTALLY gonna have to tri this!! I have that problem with “if it’s not happening today, it’s not real” issue and I can’t force my brain to take later deadlines seriously

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Martial arts room was in use, so I just did a boring weight machine workout, followed by 20 minutes of elliptical to get my cardio on.

tenor.gif?itemid=10210509

That’s a bummer!! But good for you for doing something anyway!

And yes, librarians are the BEST! (I may be biased)
Librarians are like the keepers of knowledge but it’s like “ALL shall pass!!”

I'm feeling the librarian love, you guys. <3 Shit like this makes the job worthwhile. Thanks.

The Bauhaus show last night was effing amazing. I goth-danced through the whole thing and sang along to Bela Lugosi's Dead and I'm still feeling the high even though I'm tired this morning. (Only had one drink.)

Ms Rogue is a little under the weather, so we decided to do kickboxing class tomorrow. I have a touch of DOMS from yesterday so I am good with that. (Why didn't I hit the bouldering wall yesterday instead of boring weight machines? Note to self for next week.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

(Why didn't I hit the bouldering wall yesterday instead of boring weight machines? Note to self for next week.)

It sounds like you have the most amazing gym ever??

Martial arts room, weight room, bouldering wall...

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm feeling the librarian love, you guys. <3

Please note how I refrained to say anything sexy librarian related in order to not detract from the professional aspect. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

It sounds like you have the most amazing gym ever??

Martial arts room, weight room, bouldering wall...

WE DO. And this is just my work gym that costs me something like 20 bucks a month (I don't even know, they just take my membership out of my paycheck). It's HUGE. There's a pool, a couple of big weight rooms, a cardio room, a basketball court, and indoor track, all kinds of stuff, and classes that are either free or cost next to nothing. And not just a bouldering room, there's a full 30' climbing wall with top-rope climbing too. I'm very fortunate.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

JEALOUS!!!

So good. They played the entirety of In the Flat Field (40th anniversary) and then a solid 40-ish minute set of other hits. 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Please note how I refrained to say anything sexy librarian related in order to not detract from the professional aspect. ;) 

I mean, you can if you want though

4 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

WE DO. And this is just my work gym that costs me something like 20 bucks a month (I don't even know, they just take my membership out of my paycheck). It's HUGE. There's a pool, a couple of big weight rooms, a cardio room, a basketball court, and indoor track, all kinds of stuff, and classes that are either free or cost next to nothing. And not just a bouldering room, there's a full 30' climbing wall with top-rope climbing too. I'm very fortunate.

frik

so, so jealous!

On 2/8/2019 at 1:55 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

I've only been taking karate since late last fall. I'm finding the built in level-up system very appealing. I want to hit blue by the end of the year.

Yea the level-up system is basically made for nerds o/ 

I actually haven't ever met any librarians, you're my first ;)

But I did listen to the episode on "this American life" about librarians just the other day. Do you know that radioshow/podcast? They had some cool / crazy stories. 

23 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Looks like I'm going to start the challenge sick. Hoping it's just a 24-hour bug.

Boo :(

On 2/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

The Bauhaus show last night was effing amazing. I goth-danced through the whole thing and sang along to Bela Lugosi's Dead and I'm still feeling the high even though I'm tired this morning.

Amazing! I've never seen them live but I DO occasionally make my roommates suffer through me howling Bela Lugosi's Dead at them when we play Gloomhaven. #noregrets

On 2/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Looks like I'm going to start the challenge sick. Hoping it's just a 24-hour bug.

Feel better soon!!

Seeing as your still missing, I’m guessing it wasn’t

Feal better!!! Not that you have any choice. That’s up to your immune system I guess.

Sooo .... yeah, turns out it was not a 24-hour bug. Going to the doctor in a couple of hours to get checked out and cleared to return to work Monday.

My concert date is also sick, so we're of the opinion that a fellow aging goth served as disease vector.

I'm going to be very cautious about returning to workout routine; probably not until Monday but I'll see how it goes.

Starting this challenge like

tenor.gif?itemid=4076850

• Sad 2