• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: The following challenge is scheduled for ONE FALL

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

NICE!! A major win!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Interesting observations! Yay for more flexibility. :)

A friend of mine told me he thought I'd see improvement, but I wasn't really expecting it. Last class I noticed that I was stretching over my toes a lot more easily than I used to. 

2 hours ago, Mike_KnightofHearts said:

Learning Thai? Awesome! I lived in Thailand for three years so I also had to learn the language. It’s quite  the challenge. 

I went to high school there and my dad's family lives there. We only get back every few years. I used to speak okay (not fluent) Thai, but it's very very rusty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

A friend of mine told me he thought I'd see improvement, but I wasn't really expecting it. Last class I noticed that I was stretching over my toes a lot more easily than I used to. 

I went to high school there and my dad's family lives there. We only get back every few years. I used to speak okay (not fluent) Thai, but it's very very rusty.

Cool. Did you go to a Thai school or an international? I lived in Roi Et, then Phuket. You? 

13 hours ago, Mike_KnightofHearts said:

Awesome. I miss Bangkok. Good to meet someone who went to school there. 

Fantastic! I miss it too. Thailand is still "home" to me in a weird way. We're going this summer to visit my family there for the first time in a few years.

So HELLO TEAM it's probably time for an update. So far this week, here's how the goals are shaping up.

Workouts: 2/3. I had a great but exhausting karate class last night. Another of the noobs is back, so our level 1 party is shaping up. Ms. Rogue's kickboxing class starts partway through my karate class time, so she showed up to heckle me on the rowing machine while she stowed her workout gear. I yelled at her "DON'T INTERFERE WITH THE DOJO"

Workouts logged for the work challenge: check

Work project time blocked out on calendar: also check. I am gradually clawing my way back toward "caught up" from last week's sick time.

Thai language lessons: only 1 so far this week, but I'll do one this morning. Some bits and pieces are starting to come back.

Side quests: No writing this week; no surprise since I'm scrambling from last week and I'm pretty wiped out. I'll look at buying sparring gear after payday and see if the budget's there. No FB on phone, check.

tenor.gif?itemid=11228079

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

so she showed up to heckle me on the rowing machine while she stowed her workout gear.

This is couple goals right here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a whole lot of "checks" for someone recovering from minor plague :) Awesome!

Some bits and pieces are starting to come back.

Awesomesauce! Imagine how much is going to come back as you get more lessons under your belt. I bet it will come back pretty quick. 

I'll look at buying sparring gear after payday and see if the budget's there.

Fun! What would sparring gear consist of?

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

This is couple goals right here.

And then when we got home last night she said "I saw a whole lot of goldbricking. I thought he was telling you guys to *run* to the rowers, not slouch?"

very attacked

26 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

That's a whole lot of "checks" for someone recovering from minor plague :) Awesome!

Maybe *that's* why I'm feeling wiped out this week? Decided to take a couple of rest days even though I need to practice my belt forms. I have a lot of work still to do this week, and there's an extra class this weekend for our self-defense moves.

Awesomesauce! Imagine how much is going to come back as you get more lessons under your belt. I bet it will come back pretty quick. 

I hope so. You can get around okay with just numbers and a few phrases, and I'll have family with me a lot of the time, but the more I can bring back the better off we'll be.

Fun! What would sparring gear consist of?

Lots of padding. Helmet, padded gloves and boots, chest protector, and an um additional accessory for the gentleman sparrer.

19 minutes ago, raptron said:

I always love a good heckle.

I HAVE MY DIGNITY DAMMIT

19 minutes ago, raptron said:

Go, go level 1 adventuring party. :D 

Yeah, I'm really pleased more newbies are joining up.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

Additional observation that I forgot to mention. I am becoming noticeably more flexible during stretch/warmups. Apparently karate is stretching me out in ways that two years of kickboxing did not.

oh, what does your warmup routine look like - or do you attribute this from the karate movements themselves?

On 2/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

HELLO TEAM

I'll look at buying sparring gear after payday and see if the budget's there. No FB on phone, check.

HELLO TEAM!

excited to hear about you and sparring. do you use the "MACHO GLOVES" style?

s-l225.jpg

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

oh, what does your warmup routine look like - or do you attribute this from the karate movements themselves?

Honestly, I think just from doing the actual karate kicks & stuff. We stretch out at the beginning of every class, which is where I'm noticing it, but it's actually doing the moves for a few months that seems to be helping my flexibility.

HELLO TEAM!

HEY BABE 

excited to hear about you and sparring. do you use the "MACHO GLOVES" style?

s-l225.jpg

You know, I honestly don't know yet. I know (think) that our regular kickboxing gloves aren't squishy enough though. I will report in once I have my gear!

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Thailand is still "home" to me in a weird way.

TCK  ;) 

When is your next karate test? Did you pass the second one? I lost track :P

1 hour ago, @mu said:

TCK  ;) 

TCK fistbump

1 hour ago, @mu said:

When is your next karate test? Did you pass the second one? I lost track :P

Not yet! March 8, a week from Friday.  In an hour I'm going to a clinic they're putting on to work on our self-defense ("one-step") moves for the test.

• Like 1

LAST WEEK:

Workouts: 3/3 (plus extra karate class, but that was more technique than actual workout, so maybe half a point?) Did a good job logging everything in the app for the work challenge.

Calendar time successfully chunked and mostly stuck to successfully. A lot going on, but I'm mostly staying on it.

Thai language lessons: Oops, only 2/3 I think. I should do one today to get that one more on track.

THIS WEEK:

Presentation on Thursday that I need to put in some prep time for. I did some this morning, but tomorrow afternoon's going to be the big push for that. It's one I've done before, but I need a few hours of revision and polishing for this week. (Getting paid for it, so that's good.)

Karate class tonight; belt test a week from Friday. I feel good about the upcoming test but it's a test and therefore there are a few nerves.

• Like 6

Update in the ongoing promotion saga: Just got my letter of support from the dean; he says amazingly positive things about me, so this is all but a lock. From here it goes to the provost and the president. I think it'll be officially official in May.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

I just can’t get over how slow academia is...

Ms. Hatter; I'm writing on behalf of the committee to confirm receipt of your comment of 25 Feb. Per Personnel Memorandum 40, you'll receive a reply by end of FY 2019 at latest; ordinarily this would be by April 15 but as you know PM40 is under review by the task force on gendered language and revisions are still pending. Nonetheless we thank you for your input and please rest assured the subcommittee will draft a response soonest.

1 hour ago, tourennatrix said:

I have excite for your upcoming belt test, you're going to rock it :D

Thanks! I feel more confident about this one since I've done it once already. I'm already starting to learn green belt material but trying not to let it get into my head until *after* next week. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Ms. Hatter; I'm writing on behalf of the committee to confirm receipt of your comment of 25 Feb. Per Personnel Memorandum 40, you'll receive a reply by end of FY 2019 at latest; ordinarily this would be by April 15 but as you know PM40 is under review by the task force on gendered language and revisions are still pending. Nonetheless we thank you for your input and please rest assured the subcommittee will draft a response soonest.

XD i died

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Just got my letter of support from the dean; he says amazingly positive things about me, so this is all but a lock. 

Those kind of things can be nice to get/read every once in a while! 

Is the green belt stuff building on what you have to show on the test? 

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

This is so on point, I can't even...

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Those kind of things can be nice to get/read every once in a while! 

I worked on this promotion for about half of last year, so it's VERY gratifying to have it succeed.

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Is the green belt stuff building on what you have to show on the test? 

Yeah, each one builds on the previous belt. So I'm testing for advanced gold next week, then green in a couple of months. Green belt form is the same as advanced gold belt form with some new moves added to the end, and then advanced green will be some more added on to that. Advanced gold I need to know the first four self-defense moves, and green belt I'll need to know the first six, and so on.

14 hours ago, sylph said:

This is so on point, I can't even...

It's like Scientology. 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2019 at 2:26 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Update in the ongoing promotion saga: Just got my letter of support from the dean; he says amazingly positive things about me, so this is all but a lock. From here it goes to the provost and the president. I think it'll be officially official in May.

Congratulations!!  Unless it is found that you eat babies or your university goes under, you've got it!  Happy dance!

giphy.gif