• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: The following challenge is scheduled for ONE FALL

ricochet-dive-feint.gif

Let's do this thing.

Fitness

• Work out 3+ times/week. (Probably 2 karate classes and a kickboxing class.)
  • Log every workout (including stuff like "take a walk") in MapMyFitness so I get credit for the work fitness contest that's going on for the next 8 weeks

Life

• Every Monday: block calendar time for work projects and stick to the plan
  • Thai lessons in Mango Languages 3x/week

Side quests for bonus XP

• Write some every week
  • Start karate sparring this month
  • Don't use Facebook on my phone

Nothing is true.

Everything is permitted.

No disqualifications.

RING THE BELL

afBMliv1_400x400.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

How do you find Mango Languages?

I like it, but it's less interactive than Duolingo. I would like to see more in the way of quizzes and feedback; it feels a bit passive. It asks: "How would you say ___?" and then shows the correct answer, but I've got no way to actually input my attempt.

Then again, I've barely scratched the surface of the Thai lesson, so maybe it gets more interactive as time goes on.

HELLO TEAM

Here comes tonight's karate class. Last week the instructor loaned me and Yellow Belt Friend a couple of resistance bands that strap around one's ankles to keep one's feet from getting too far apart, because our stances were both too wide while we worked on our belt forms. (Her: This is a little kinky. Me: I decided I wasn't going to be the first one to say that.) I'm working on cleaning up my sloppy block form and practiced a little on the back deck yesterday.

I had a super light lunch, because I bought veggie sushi on Friday and had a leftover today. Supplemented it with a yogurt and an apple, but I am still v. hungry and will detour home for a quick early dinner before class. Weighed in over the weekend and am pleased that I am continuing to shed the last couple of holiday pounds. Will come up with an easy slow cooker meal prep tomorrow and stop for groceries on the way home, just so I can continue staying ahead of the meal prep curve for a few more days.

We're still kicking the tires on the February budget, so I'm not sure yet if we'll have the couple hundred bucks unencumbered for me to pick up sparring gear this month.

tenor.gif?itemid=9859637

• Like 3

Hi! I wanted to follow some more assassins but apparently there are also monks hanging out here ;) Don't mind if I do though? 

No Thai on duolingo? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Hi! I wanted to follow some more assassins but apparently there are also monks hanging out here ;) Don't mind if I do though? 

Assassin4Lyfe, but I steal stuff from other guilds. I discovered karate in the fall and am loving it! (Assassins gotta fight.) I still do assassiny stuff, bodyweight and occasional climbing. Glad to have you!

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

No Thai on duolingo? 

No Thai on Duolingo, sadly. I think they have an English for Thai speakers, but not the reverse.

I have some Thai but it's very very rusty. I lived there as a teenager and am going back to visit family this summer and want to brush up. 

12 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

No Thai on Duolingo, sadly. I think they have an English for Thai speakers, but not the reverse.

That's rather odd. You'd think it would be both ways? 

5 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

That's rather odd. You'd think it would be both ways? 

You would, right? 

Mango should work fine for what I need, though, so it'll work. I just need to break off my buried ancient memories of the basics, and a lot of the time I'll be with my dad who speaks enough to get around well, and/or my stepmom or sister who are native speakers. And this trip we'll have Google Translate too. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

helllllllllo

Heyyyy badass

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Howdy!

Hi welcome!

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

What prompted the calendar blocking at work? I'm toying with trying a similar strategy.

It's something I do when I have a lot going on and worry about my ability to keep up with multiple projects. I'm doing a lot at work right now. I've got a presentation, a couple of workshops and classes, some planning for a professional org, an online teaching project, and regular ongoing day to day stuff and I'm going to have to keep it all on track for a month or two. 

The method isn't so much "I have to do this on Monday at 2 when I arbitrarily added it to my calendar," but more "reserve some kind of time in the week for all these things, and if something comes up Monday at 2, shift this thing to Tuesday instead of forgetting about it." Time on a calendar makes it easier to keep it all on the plate than a to-do list does, for me.

• Like 4

Today: Taught a class (it went fabulously and students were thanking me all the way out the door), then went for a walk to clear my head afterward -- the first time I've been outside all day, and it's 73F and beautiful.

Tonight I'm going to cut up some vegetables and throw them in the crock pot for the easiest possible meal prep.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

The method isn't so much "I have to do this on Monday at 2 when I arbitrarily added it to my calendar," but more "reserve some kind of time in the week for all these things, and if something comes up Monday at 2, shift this thing to Tuesday instead of forgetting about it." Time on a calendar makes it easier to keep it all on the plate than a to-do list does, for me.

I do this. I find it exceptionally helpful for things that either have no real due date or are so far off in the future that it's hard to feel a sense of urgency about them. Highly recommend.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sylph said:

I do this. I find it exceptionally helpful for things that either have no real due date or are so far off in the future that it's hard to feel a sense of urgency about them. Highly recommend.

Exactly. I worked this out a while back when I was feeling overwhelmed keeping track of too many long-term things.

Karate class done -- they are being super brutal to our arms this week! I am typing this with my face because my arms are dead. The kid with super awkward social skills barked at me to "fall in" at the beginning of class, and I've chosen to take the high-road position of being really amused at how much he wants to be an assistant teacher.

There's another white belt in class! That's four of us gold (yellow) or below. The new person says she took TKD when she was younger, so I expect she'll surpass us in due course, but at least right now we're helping her learn new stuff. I'm super happy every time a noob joins up. I feel like we're building a first-level party off in the corner of class.

Logged workout for work contest, and even took a walk today to log a few extra minutes (I think that's all they're counting, minutes). Also knocked out some good work on projects at work today per my challenge goals.

Oops, haven't done any language lessons. I'll do one as soon as I post this.

tumblr_oquk3dDxr91v5ue77o2_500.gif

• Like 6

Feeling mentally tired this morning despite a pretty good night's sleep. I worked really hard yesterday and then went to a tiring karate class, so I may be a little less ambitious today. I have a presentation to revise for 3 weeks from now, but I might push that off to tomorrow and work on something easier today. Leaving work early for a shrink appointment, and I already have a student coming in for a consultation before lunch, so I'm not going to try to cram too much in today.

Going to do my meditation break after I post this and see if I can find a little focus and clarity for the day.

Tomorrow (and next week, actually) I'm going to Friday night concerts, this week Bauhaus alums with a friend, and next week a mummy funk band with Ms Rogue. Will not drink much if at all so that I can get up and kickbox on Saturday.

• Like 3

It doesn't seem fair to call yourself a level 1 if you've already leveled up once! ;)  But yesss, it's always good to have newcomers with you. We jokingly refer to sharing a "pledge class" for folks who joined our team around the same time. 

• Like 2

Just now, raptron said:

It doesn't seem fair to call yourself a level 1 if you've already leveled up once! ;)  But yesss, it's always good to have newcomers with you. We jokingly refer to sharing a "pledge class" for folks who joined our team around the same time. 

True. :) But I feel sort of like white belt was level zero. 

Instructor last night pointed out that we're already in week 5 of 8! I'm gonna try to get to the gym tomorrow afternoon and work my forms some. Very little actual new material this test, but I don't want to get cocky. (I'm testing for "advanced gold" [aka gold belt with a black stripe], so the belt form is the same but there are a couple of semi-new self-defense moves I need to get smoother/better at).

• Like 1