• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kcaleece

KCAleece's Charge to Spring Break

legolas_stare.gif.2c2f8a25f095b2bc9de59654a9b779ef.gif

My "oh God it's Monday" stare today.

Running on about 3 hours of sleep today thanks to grumpy baby and the hubby needing some help last night, meaning we got to bed super late and woke up often even after we'd gone to bed. Not helping was the fact that I did close to 8 hours of Spanish work, so my brain was completely fried even before that happened. I'm feeling lucky to be upright, and that's probably the most I can hope for today.

Quest Two: In the Kitchen

I'm doing really well with this in terms of keeping my desserts between 12:30 and 9:30, but still only have 2 days of no dessert at all. Going to shoot for another one this week, but I'm not sure when. Maybe even today? Being sleepy might help if I just go to bed early, hahaha.

Quest Three: Class and Spanish proficiency

Whew, okay...
Grad school: Module 4 (due March 3rd):
5 readings (4 done)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
10 timeline entries (definitions, citations, examples, extra media)
(optional midterm evaluation of the course)

Spanish 480: La Noche de la Usina is DONE!!! I also wrote my essay (just shy of 1,000 words) and my Goodreads commentaries (about 500 words) yesterday. 
General proficiency: I'm only counting 1 for right now but I need to re-check myself against my list, I might have gotten more in my brain (9/25 complete). I'm also counting my essays as...well the Praxis requires 120 words but that'd mean I did everything yesterday, which doesn't sound like a great plan. So let's call it...I dunno, we'll go with 300 words as slightly more than doubled, so 5/10 practices done as of yesterday? I've also been focusing on trying to speak more with my son, so I'm going to count an extra ten minutes for a current total of 50.

Quest Four: Job problems

I should get an interview with a big district coming up on March 7th! I'm super excited for that one because a) I've applied to them 4 times before and never gotten so much as a "hello" before and b) it's currently the only French position posted in the entire city. They should be e-mailing me back today to confirm a time, so I'm not counting it as "scheduled" until I get that response back (I've had interviews revoked at this point before, usually because they realized they invited too many people and I didn't make the second round of cuts). 
Another one of my open positions closed without an interview though, sigh. Hopefully more gets posted today so I can apply to a few more to keep my total number of open applications up! Spring Break is coming up for a lot of districts though, so sometimes they slow down because they know they're not going to be doing anything for a week so why let applications pile up?

Quest Five: Manicures

Got my 3rd manicure done (2nd with nail art). I need to take a picture to post...I did another stamped design, which looks neat but I went base color, then stamped design, then a sparkly top coat. Looking at it now, I think it would have been better if I'd done base color, then sparkly top coat, then stamped design. The sparkles blur some of the details in the design unless you look closely. Oh well, I'm learning!

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, JessFit said:

wow, it seems to me like you're really kicking butt. Fingers crossed for the interview! 

Awww, thanks! That really does mean a lot to me! Thanks so much for following along and always having such wonderfully nice things to say :)

I'm not feeling super great today but let's catch up on yesterday and cross our fingers I get something done today worth posting about...

Whew, okay...
5 readings (all 5 done)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
10 timeline entries (1 done, 1 started)

Spanish 480: I still need to post my second Goodreads comment and then start on the next book. I'm sooooo not going to have the minimum reading done in time for tomorrow...
General proficiency: Going with ten more minutes of speaking practice for a total of one hour. I'm getting in some at work and some with my husband, which I feel like is good - I have longer conversations with my husband, but speaking Spanish at work is a lot more anxiety producing for me and exposes me to a lot more at the same time, so it's good to make another step into the larger community!

Well, I have good news, bad news, and so-so news. Good news: that March 7th interview was confirmed! No time given yet, but it has been confirmed that I got a spot at least. Bad news: my first interview (for the middle school English position super close to my house) got back in touch with me and they picked someone else. I expected it, but still...sigh. Another one also reached out to me and let me know their position was closed (with no interview given to me). So-so news: I was getting a bit down about two rejections in one day so I filled out another 7 applications...at my previous school district. *takes a hit to her pride* But my problem there was with one particular administrator who they even admitted was unfairly targeting me for personal reasons but "principal autonomy is important, so we aren't going to do anything about it"...and that particular guy has left in the two years since I was there, so assuming that bridge isn't completely burned, I would go back now. Current totals: 40 applications, 36 open, 2 interviews "out there".

Pictures of my current manicure! One of my fingers on my right hand and one zoomed in so you can see the designs better. My ring fingers have the flower looking one and all the rest of them have the more dream-catcher looking design. You can see too why putting the design on top of the sparkle layer would probably be smarter :) It's really pretty (it's holo, so it gives off rainbow sparkles!) but it blurs the details pretty badly.

manicure.jpg.081ee2383f1f21c0eb653c600ea0391b.jpg760238092_manicurezoom.jpg.974b42c7bad93a45a3927068be8de125.jpg

• Like 2

So yesterday ended up being an ice/"I don't feel super awesome" day. I got a little bit of work done, but not very much.

I'm doing...okay here. Could be a lot better, could be worse.
5 readings (all 5 done)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
10 timeline entries (5 done, 1 started)
General proficiency: Bumping myself up to 75 minutes complete for tiny little bits of practice with my husband and also with my students!

3 more job applications in, though one of them was for a position at the exact same school which rejected me for an English position - they just posted a social studies position, so...why not, I suppose? No harm in trying? Not expecting much since they already rejected me once though.

• Like 1

It's Friday!! Yay! A slight bit of light at the end of the tunnel that is my godawful work week...

Quest One: Fitness/working out

ARGH it is legitimately driving me CRAZY that I suck so much at these quests. Granted, it's not helping that I set up a workout for my private Sunday mornings and then my husband skipped church the last two weeks due to weather. But this weekend is forecasting snow Saturday night yet again, so I need to figure *something* out.

I keep making it to around 3 or 4 and then giving in. Today will be different! No desserts today! I need day #3 sans sugar under my belt.

Didn't do as much on this one yesterday, but that was honestly kinda nice for my mental strain at least.
5 readings (all 5 done)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
10 timeline entries (6 done, 4 started)

Spanish 480: Haven't done a thing here, but I have been e-mailing with the program director about my future MA plans with them as well. As somewhat expected, their requirements are incredibly vague and so poorly thought out as to be bordering on offensive. But I'm stuck with them for two very important reasons: they're the only place I can get to logistically speaking, and their degree actually will give me more professional flexibility because it's technically an MA in Romance Languages, not in Spanish or French specifically. So I gritted my teeth, complained to my husband, and then sent them another e-mail seeking clarification. If needbe, I'll set up a meeting with them next week to really pin down this nonsense.

Submitted 8 more applications yesterday. Crossing my fingers I'll start hearing more back from people, but March always gets weird due to Spring Break and all the dozens of different schedules each district has for administration this month. Current totals: 51 applications submitted, 4 known closed, 7 others closed but with no notification if filled or not, 1 interview done and waiting for a response, 1 interview scheduled for next week (leaving 38 still open with no knowledge of anything going on at all)

I went ahead and did a new manicure last night largely because I could but also partly because it felt silly to wait until Saturday or Sunday like I have been just to replace it for my interview on Thursday. This way I can wear this one for basically a full week. Unfortunately, it didn't dry 100% before I went to bed and my thumbs smudged. I'm going to try to fix it tonight and maybe even stamp a small design? This nail polish has colored flakies in it, so I don't want to cover it up too much, but maybe I'll do something small on the edge just to be cute.

Quest Six: The Odds and Ends
Let's see...
2. buy and start seeds for garden - so these were supposed to be delivered on Monday, but they never showed up. After a few calls and tracking numbers, they're now listed as being out for delivery today. Let's hope so...

3. buy storage container and begin going through baby's outgrown clothing - did this! Mostly. I bought 2 containers yesterday and filled one with his 3-6 month clothing (I already packed up the newborn and 0-3 month clothing back in the summer...yeah, I've really been letting this sit that long). I had to just grab stuff and throw it in the living room really quickly though before he went to bed, so I feel like I didn't do a good job of checking to make sure I got everything in that size. I'll try to go through and double check either today or over the weekend.

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books - yeah, this failed. I gathered a second bag full of books but when I went to put it in my car today, the handles ripped right out of the bag and spilled them everywhere! I'm pretty sure I got them all back in a single pile but didn't have time to go get another bag and all that. I'll try to get them re-bagged and in my car this afternoon and maybe I can sell them over the weekend or after school next week (depending on when I might have university meetings...)

• Like 1

I hope you get the seeds today. Then you can plant them and dream of spring. Maybe your husband can entertain your baby while you workout on Sunday?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, Elastigirl said:

I hope you get the seeds today. Then you can plant them and dream of spring. Maybe your husband can entertain your baby while you workout on Sunday?

They did come! Yay! Unfortunately, we didn't get them planted yet - booooo. As for Sunday...well, it kinda failed too :(

As excepted, Sunday ended up being "weather-ed out" from church again. Double unfortunately, the little one had a terrible night - I believe he was up 6 times? Might have been 7, they all blur together after a while. My husband took most of them in the middle of the night, so I took the morning "shift" while the husband got a little bit of sleep. I got in some calf raises and...I dunno, toddler swings? LOL I was just trying to throw him around a little bit and make it fun for him while still requiring myself to move and lift. He's almost 30 pounds, my arms were definitely feeling it by the time my husband woke up!

Woohoo! Day 3 of no dessert in the books for this challenge! It...wasn't Friday, hahaha. But I knocked it out on Saturday nevertheless - now just to figure out how to do so twice this week to meet my goal of 5 days by the end of the challenge...

Some good news!
Grad school: Module 4 was completed on time and turned in! This week is actually my spring break from grad school, so we can put a big checkmark next to this one for the challenge!!

Spanish 480: I finished the first 2 chapters of our next book, Cuando Sara Chura Despierte. Unfortunately for me, I'm supposed to have the first 12 done by today. Yeesh that's a lot I'm behind.

Hey, I won a contest!!! Okay, so it was a teeny tiny contest. As in, there were only 7 entries. It was run by a very small subreddit, lol. But I entered one of my previous manicures from this challenge and got 2nd place, so that feels super fancy and special! I won a few manicure supplies but I don't know which ones...lol I just know they'll get to my house by the end of the week. How exciting!!!

Okay, some catching up to do here even though not much has actually happened:

2. buy and start seeds for garden - as stated at the beginning, the seeds did arrive! We had plans to go out on Saturday to buy the few remaining things we need to get them started, but that didn't happen due to cranky baby (and honestly, cranky parents. Both my husband and I just felt very "blargh" on Saturday for whatever reason.) Also I think it's really funny the only vegetable my husband and I both agree is "not our favorite" is cauliflower...well, this seed company always gives you a free "surprise!" seed whenever you buy from them, and guess what we got this time around? Hahaha

3. buy storage container and begin going through baby's outgrown clothing - I'm like...98% certain I got all his 3-6 month clothing in the proper container now. I'm giving myself a checkmark for this one!

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books - new bag fixed and in the trunk of my car, ready for sale! I just need to find a chance to stop by this week...which is looking more difficult than it should be, but I'll figure it out.

• Like 1

Not much to report today...

Grad school: On Spring Break

Spanish 480: Yesterday I completed chapters 3 and 4 in Cuando Sara Chura Desperate. I really enjoy it, but this type of novel makes it super obvious that my language proficiency isn't quite up to snuff. It reminds me a lot of American Gods (by Neil Gaiman), which is one of my favorite books ever, and it includes a lot of magic and folklore (in this case, quite obscure folklore - it's based in the legends of the Amaya tribe of Bolivia). Unfortunately, that means there's a lot of small details that reference outside sources and no small amount of surrealism-meets-Lewis-Carroll-style-logic magic scenes. I LOVE that in English...in Spanish, it's falling a bit flat because I'm just missing too much. I think this will be a book I keep on my shelves and revisit after I've made more progress, just so I can get the full flavor eventually at least.

No new postings up yesterday (haven't looked yet for today) but I'm mostly focusing on preparing for my interview on Thursday anyway. I am crossing all my fingers and toes I get this one - it would seriously be a dream come (mostly) true!!!

I gave myself a new manicure last night. Silly? Yes, especially considering I'm going to have to change it again tomorrow for my interview. But I was stressed as all get out and decided it was healthier than my other de-stressing go-tos: shopping, eating, and mindlessly watching YouTube.

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books - Well, I didn't get a meeting with the second MA department today (they gave it to me tomorrow, but I'm going to have to get permission from my professor to skip class because of course the only meeting time they gave me was the exact same time my Spanish class starts) so I'm thinking about selling those books today just so it can be done and off my plate. Otherwise I won't have another chance until Friday.

• Like 1

Hope the interview goes well. Have you sold books at Half Price before? Our Half Price offers very little money for them. And we had to wait  a long time while they sorted them.  We decided it was just easier to donate to GoodWill.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope the interview goes well. Have you sold books at Half Price before? Our Half Price offers very little money for them. And we had to wait  a long time while they sorted them.  We decided it was just easier to donate to GoodWill.

Thank you!!!
I have sold at Half Price before and I agree, they give you practically nothing and take forever. But I still go there because I have about a trillion books to sell back - I went through a bit of a "book collecting" phase at library sales for a few years, and have something like 8 bookcases (floor to ceiling) completely packed full of books I'll never actually read. I'm slowly culling it down after our last move proved to be a massive pain and the realization that a lot of these I had just to have, not to read or do anything useful with. I bring in seriously an entire canvas grocery bag full and get $12-$20, depending on what I put in that particular bag. But I've done this probably 5 or 6 times so far and while it's getting tougher, there's still plenty of books left. (Don't worry, I'm not getting rid of them all...just the ones I've come to accept that I won't read and only have around for decoration, basically.)

Not much to report either today due to being called home early yesterday due to sick baby...

I spent about two hours yesterday poking through their website for tidbits to glean while trying to make a list of likely questions and what my answers should be. That's a huge part of my push again today - I figure the more prep I put in, the less likely I am to forget something while I'm there and the calmer (and therefore more polished) I will be as well. I'm the only person in my entire graduating class from undergrad who has yet to "strike out" and not receive a job offer during a hiring season - okay, to be fair, there were like two dozen people in my graduating class, but still - I'd like to not break my streak, especially with such a good job on the line!

I'll check for more postings too but the most common Spring Break for K-12 schools around here is next week, so I think they've slowed down a bit.

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books - I didn't end up doing this on account of the sick baby. It might happen today post-second MA meeting (the husband is home today with the baby, so no worries there) or it might happen on Friday.

• Like 1

Whew, okay, these last two days have been CRAZY!

Spanish 480: So...weird thing happened on Wednesday. I stopped by the university to have a meeting with the director of the Romance languages MA program. I just wanted a chance to double check my proposed preparations (like what classes I was taking, how many credit hours I needed, etc.) After a bit of running around - they had me read and speak in French, and hold a conversation in Spanish (I'm also supposed to send them my most recent essay) - the director just looks at me and goes, "yes, I think I will admit you. Fill out your paperwork, get your letters of reference, and you can start this summer." :blink::blink::blink: Wha------? I mean, okay. Strike while the iron is hot and all that, right? But that wasn't even on the table yet as far as I knew when I made said meeting, and we're going back to Mexico this June anyway so I can't start in the summer. But he said the only real difference between my current 480 course and the graduate level of that same class is that we write 4-5 page essays instead of 3 pages, so in other words there basically isn't any difference and if I'm managing in my current course, I'll be fine in the graduate program. Holy shit y'all, this might be actually happening! And all at once!

My interview yesterday was...funky. Before I even got there, I managed to spill coffee all down my right leg - and of course my interview outfit has off-white pants!! - but there wasn't enough time to go home and change, so I just blotted it as best as I could and crossed my fingers. It was pretty far to the side (I had bought a coffee and had it on the chair next to me when I bumped it and the top came off) so it's hard to see if you only look at me straight on. So that was super exciting, sigh. But when I sat down, a few things happened:
1) they informed me that this is only a "potential" position, and it will only exist if their enrollment numbers support the need for this teacher, so second round interviews won't happen for "a few weeks" (no clarification on how long that means, even when I asked, but I'm guessing April based off what I know about most school's timelines on master schedule creating)
2) the interview was almost 100% about my qualifications - what subjects did I have my license in, how many graduate credit hours have I earned, etc. etc. - and there were only 3 "interview style" questions 
3) they are looking for a freaking unicorn. They want someone who has both their French and Spanish certification (already pretty hard to find), but they want someone who can teach dual-credit French and dual-credit Spanish. In this state, that means you have to have at least 18 graduate level credit hours in the subject. So someone who has 18 grad hours in Spanish AND 18 more grad hours in French. Yeah, that's not going to happen. I pointed that that I will have that in about 2022...they said they'd "of course prefer someone who has it right now" but they know they "need to be flexible".
So...we'll see? The whole thing was weird as heck. But I have another screening interview at a different district next Tuesday, so maybe that one will go well too?

I went back and re-did my "professional" manicure for the interview yesterday. I wanted to put some stamping designs and stuff on it today but it seems silly to mess it up just to redo this exact same manicure for Tuesday. But my contest prize should be arriving today! I'm so excited to see what it will be :)

Yay on the grad program! I'm sorry the interview was so funky. I hate situations like that, ugh. Fingers crossed for your next one though. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I know this challenge technically isn't over. But...yeah, it basically is. So I'm going to go ahead and do my summary so I can start looking forward to the next challenge :)

I failed MISERABLY at this. Definitely an F. The weather taking up my private Sunday mornings definitely wasn't helping, but today was the first Sunday all challenge that my husband and son went to church and I still didn't get up to work out (honestly, I completely forgot that was even a thing after 4 weeks of no church).

Well, I was pretty good at keeping to my 12:30-9:30 timeframe for desserts, but I only got 3 days of no dessert out of a goal of 5. I haven't had dessert yet today, so maybe I'll push for 4. Giving myself a...B.

This was a bit of a mess...
Grad school: Did everything on time and have a 100% in class as of today. A.

Spanish 480: This is a...mess. I finished La noche and made slow but...not terrible progress on Sara Chura. Unfortunately, after reviewing what was going to be due this week (about 100 pages, another essay, and an exam) I freaked out. After talking to my husband, I made the decision to withdraw from this class. I still get a W on my transcript, but I get to enjoy some family time and focus fully on my other commitments for the first time since January. I've already bought all the books they'll be reading, so I'll read them as well for the practice - just at my own pace instead of this rather breakneck one. For this challenge though, I'll give myself a B- for the progress I'd made though.
General proficiency: I did really poorly in this, mostly because I never had time after my work for 480. I get a D.

I blew this goal out of the water with 53 more applications than my goal. 4th interview is on Tuesday! A+

Did both of these! I both did more than 4 manicures (thanks to interviews) and stamped 2 of them. I even got second place in a manicure contest with one of them! A

This...kinda worked?
1. finish sorting second bedroom clothing and donate what I don't want anymore - everything is sorted, but there's still one bag sitting there that hasn't made it to the donation center. B+
2. buy and start seeds for garden - seeds bought but not started B+

3. buy storage container and begin going through baby's outgrown clothing (there is a LOT, holy cow I haven't done this since he was in 3-6 month sizes - he wears 12-18 month now...) - done! A
4. try out at least one tailor and bring in my interview outfit if they're not terrible - haven't even looked up a tailor to try. F
5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books - done! A

So overall, that's:
4 As
4 Bs
0 Cs
1 D
2 Fs

So that's a final GPA of 2.9, which is...certainly not great. But it's super close to a B average which feels much more acceptable!

You set a lot of goals for yourself, and almost all of them ended with an A or B. I would say that you did pretty darn good.