• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kcaleece

KCAleece's Charge to Spring Break

My Spring Break from work, that is. Being associated in one way, shape, or form with three schools (grad school, my undergrad Spanish class, and the high school I teach at) I actually have three different Spring Breaks. That's right, not a single one of them line up to be the same week as another one.

I'm feeling like I'm massively behind the 8-ball. I'm barely holding on to a vague semblance of "getting everything done on time". But I know I can do it if I just keep my head down and keep on fighting.

178803275_elronddrawinghissword.gif.51640941bbac7640abd2a3a944f4f9da.gif

I know, it's not my Legolas. But it's still pretty darn badass!

So, I'm adapting my last challenge structure. It wasn't bad, but I think this will make it better.

Quest One: Fitness/working out

This has been, for whatever reason, a massive sticking point. So I'm going back - like, way back - and shooting for just 1 workout a week. Come on, even I can manage 1 workout, right??? In an attempt to help myself by erasing all questions and concerns, I'm going to try to use the following structure, assuming nothing like illness gets in the way:
When: Sunday mornings while the husband and baby are at church, vaguely 8-9:30

Where: the living room, mostly
How: I'm going with a countdown system because I like it, hahaha. So my goal will be:
60 seconds of plank
50 calf raises
40 seconds of leg raises
30 standing bicycle crunches
20 squats
10 lunges

(all will be done in smaller sets, as necessary, as long as it adds up to the final goal. I also reserve the right to modify, of course, if this is harder to put together than I think)! Then I get to use my fancy face mask stuff while I wait for the shower to heat up :) 
Why: general health concerns, preparing for second pregnancy, feeling like a badass, maybe bust some stress?

Quest Two: In the Kitchen

Sugar is still my enemy! Lord is it ever telling that I typed "energy" at first. I'm going to stick with the good progress I started during the last challenge, but make it just a tiny bit harder by extending the time frames a touch.

Rules: no dessert before 12:30pm or after 9:30 pm, 5 days during this challenge with no desert at all

Quest Three: Class and Spanish proficiency

Ugh. This is a good 90% of my stress right here. I need to stay on top of grad school, my Spanish class, and general proficiency studying.
Grad school: We start module 3 today (due Feb. 17) and module 4 starts Feb. 18 (due March 3). The last week of this challenge is my spring break for grad school.

Spanish 480: We are reading La Noche de la Usina right now. I'm currently on page 169 and have to get to 214 by Wednesday. I will update this post with the assignments after that when I get home tonight (I didn't bring my syllabus with me to work today - posting this on my lunch break!)
General proficiency: I need work in vocabulary, listening, writing, and speaking. I will aim for 25 new vocabulary words (5 per week), 10 podcast episodes (2 per week), 10 writing practices (2 per week, counting the writing I'm doing for class), and 2 hours of speaking practice (30 minutes per week).

Quest Four: Job problems

Y'all. My job is awful. And hiring season is HERE! (Okay, okay, so it's only technically here. February is usually still too early for interviews to start, but job postings are going up at least.) My goal is going to be to check posting at least every other day and apply to at least 20 during this challenge. That should be pretty easy, honestly, because I'm certified in so many subjects that as soon as a district puts up more than one position I'm eligible for, I likely can just copy my application over to all of them with a couple clicks. But hiring season usually picks up steam after spring break, so I'm trying to make sure I set a goal that can actually be achieved.

Quest Five: Manicures

Silly? Sure. But it's fun as self-care and why the heck not? Going to stick with my goal of 4 manicures this challenge and say I also want to try stamping a manicure (which may or may not work - apparently there can be quite a learning curve to stamping - but why not at least try, right?)

Quest Six: The Odds and Ends
Everything else I want to get done! In no particular order:
1. finish sorting second bedroom clothing and donate what I don't want anymore
2. buy and start seeds for garden

3. buy storage container and begin going through baby's outgrown clothing (there is a LOT, holy cow I haven't done this since he was in 3-6 month sizes - he wears 12-18 month now...)
4. try out at least one tailor and bring in my interview outfit if they're not terrible
5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books

• Like 2

Following along again.  I don't think the manicure goal is silly. It's just different than your other very intense goals, which is good . I think having a creative goal helps remind us that it is good to take time for our artistic side.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Following along again.  I don't think the manicure goal is silly. It's just different than your other very intense goals, which is good . I think having a creative goal helps remind us that it is good to take time for our artistic side.

Awww, thanks. I'm not sure why I always feel the need to apologize - I wouldn't if I was painting on canvas, for example - except to blame it on my upbringing (my mother believed it is impossible for someone to be into make-up, fashion, etc. for themselves (because vanity is a sin) - it was always "for a man", and it's also a sin to tempt good hearted men into lust like that. But at the same time I was constantly under fire because I didn't bother with a lot of "feminine" things, and she was terrified I wouldn't get married and give her grandkids. It was...confusing, to say the least.) I will try to remind myself that my mother is crazy and the rest of the world is pretty cool with painting your nails!

Alright, so yesterday's progress...it wasn't much on account of a slight illness/being exhausted, but I did manage a little bit.

I went ahead and skipped dessert yesterday entirely, which was admittedly easier than normal on account of an upset stomach :) I started getting it out - almost out of habit, honestly - and then realized I didn't even want it and put it back.
Oh, and I also updated my original post when I realized that moving my "no desserts until after noon" to "no desserts until after 11:30" was half an hour in the wrong direction, LOL. I blame that one on tired brains! Proper rule is no dessert until after 12:30 now!

I printed the next reading for grad school (haven't actually started reading, but I printed it at least?). I've also been debating my vocabulary goal and decided to only pick words I've learned since yesterday, quite literally. So the words I learned from the first 169 pages of reading won't count - and there are some, assuming they were repeated a lot...others I just looked up once and then forgot again - but I am going to count mango as my first word because I had to ask in class yesterday what in the world it meant. My dictionary gave me the fruit, of course, and apparently it also means "a handle", but neither made sense in the story...apparently it's also slang for money.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kcaleece said:

it wasn't much on account of a slight illness/being exhausted, but I did manage a little bit.

Funny how a small piece of a sentence makes me proud to be a fellow Ranger!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Funny how a small piece of a sentence makes me proud to be a fellow Ranger!

*blushes slightly*
Seriously, you all are far too kind!! Whatever bug I've caught isn't anything too terrible - I still went/am going to work, for instance - but it is affecting my evening working time, which is unfortunately also my most productive working time of the day.

Yesterday I managed a little bit more, on account of the fact the "sick parts" moved up (less stomach, more head) which for me is actually easier to work through. Still not 100% but I'm trying to compensate by focusing on the very, very top priorities each day. The problem happens when my list of "absolute to priorities" is still half a page long...

Managed this yesterday! It's funny, noon always worked out well for me because I go to lunch at 11:25 or 11:58 (depending on what day it is - on Wednesdays we eat earlier than the rest of the week due to very early afternoon meetings). Now there's not a single day of the week I'm still at lunch by my 12:30 "dessert start time" - even my 11:58 lunch start ends at 12:23. It actually works out pretty well because yesterday I ended up breaking up my dessert (three small pieces of leftover Christmas candy - yes, really lol) slowly over the course of the afternoon.

Spanish 480: Not in good shape :( I am not to the required page for today's class. I'm just not. Between everything else, my sick, and my baby's sick (yup, poor little guy is stuck at home today because daycare won't take him after he had diarrhea all day yesterday) it just didn't happen. I'll talk to my professor though and try to keep up in class as best as I can while catching up on pages over the weekend.
General proficiency: I learned the infinitive corregir (to correct) yesterday in my ELL class that I teach. It's a stem changer though, so I don't have the conjugations down yet. Still, I'm going to count that as word #2 - the infinitive is still a word, after all!

This was my big accomplishment yesterday. I was starting to worry over the fact I hadn't applied anywhere at all yet, so I bumped this to the top of the list and completed 7 applications yesterday! That was to 3 different districts, which (as alluded to in my original post) meant I only had to fill out 3 application packets - you just click a little checkbox saying which openings you want to apply for, and it automatically copies everything to each posting. I actually haven't seen a single posting in my preferred subject area (French) yet, but Ranger brain means I'm certified to teach 7 different subjects: 6-12 English Lit and Comp; 6-12 Social Studies, History, and Government; 6-12 Biology; 6-12 Earth Space Science; 6-12 FACS; K-12 French; and K-12 ELL. I technically have all the requirements to add in 5-9 Middle School Science as well, but I never bothered to send it in to the state - usually those jobs are just as happy with either of my 6-12 science certificates. Cross your fingers I can turn one of those into an actual, not terrible job!!

Following. Don't diss your manis, self care is a huge thing, especially since it seems like you've got a heck of a lot going on in life! Also, ugh lord I love sugar. One of my hacks is to take a dark chocolate bar, melt it, mix it with Trader Joe's Omega Trek Mix and make little balls (can also blob chocolate on to parchment paper and drop trail mix on top) and then take those with me for sugar cravings. It is way less awful than if I run to our cafe and get a candy bar or cookie! I'm excited to watch how you own these goals this challenge. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JessFit said:

take a dark chocolate bar, melt it, mix it with Trader Joe's Omega Trek Mix and make little balls

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor drooling gif

On 2/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, JessFit said:

Following. Don't diss your manis, self care is a huge thing, especially since it seems like you've got a heck of a lot going on in life! Also, ugh lord I love sugar. One of my hacks is to take a dark chocolate bar, melt it, mix it with Trader Joe's Omega Trek Mix and make little balls (can also blob chocolate on to parchment paper and drop trail mix on top) and then take those with me for sugar cravings. It is way less awful than if I run to our cafe and get a candy bar or cookie! I'm excited to watch how you own these goals this challenge. 

Oh man does that ever sound good! My husband was just talking to me earlier today about how he needs to start signing up for this year's triathlon season, so that sounds like a great snack to try introducing. Thanks for the tip! 

Yesterday wasn't that exciting, honestly. Today has been an interesting day - no school due to ice and sleet, which is great! But daycare closed too, so most of my day has been taken up by a toddler. The husband is back now though, so I get a little bit of work time.

After my husband gave me crap about putting a little bit of sugar in my coffee this morning, I have half a mind to go for a dessert-less day again today. Ugh I've been craving sugar since about 11:30 though! It's currently 2:45 and I'm trying really hard to distract myself with coffee and grad school readings...

I didn't get much done yesterday, and I'm mostly focusing on grad school today.
Grad school: My goal today is to finish 2/3 readings and maybe watch all the videos for this module? There's usually 3, but I haven't looked quite yet. I really want to get started on the group assignment for this module so I don't get stuck with the worst parts!

Spanish 480: SUUUUUPER far behind on my reading, and I need to e-mail my professor today to ask about re-scheduling our meeting (which was supposed to happen right as the freezing rain started) and also to ask if I can combine two writing assignments into one if they're on the same topics...

This was my main focus yesterday - I completed 5 more applications (total: 12 so far) but the next set is going to take much longer because they require various paragraphs on interview-esque questions to be a part of your application packet. The district with the most openings has 7 of these paragraph response questions! 
But! Great news! Yesterday I got the call for my first interview!!!! That's right, I applied on Tuesday and they called me on Wednesday to interview next week Tuesday. It's surprisingly early in the season for this, but it'd be an amazing jump if it works out; it's a middle school ELA position, in what I would call a "solidly mediocre" middle school - but that's lightyears better than the "miserable pit of violent chaos" I currently work in!! - in a "good but not amazing", big district (so lateral movement to a foreign language position, once one opens, is theoretically easier). The principal's secretary was so sweet and considerate on the phone, I felt like crying when I remembered what it was like to work with people who didn't hate life. And it's only 8 miles/about 15 minutes from home!!! (current school is minimum 40, sometimes over an hour since I have to go through downtown to get there...) Crossing my fingers, but also trying not to get too overly excited for the first interview of a multi-month hiring season.

I haven't actually done a new manicure yet, but I keep thinking I need to replace my current one with a more interview appropriate look. I have a polish in mind, but it's brand new and a "test run" seems smart. But I worked really hard free handing my current manicure with a toothpick, hahaha, so I don't want to kill it off yet! Even though my original idea, "hearts that look like flowers" turned out more like "preschooler tries to draw tulips"...

1454355472_secondmanicureever!croppedfortheinternet.jpeg.451c98a0d1d2e7850ab1ca0fd707876d.jpeg

Well, I won't have time to bring my chosen interview outfit to the tailor. I'm also thinking about trying to get a seed order placed later today!

I'm mad impressed with your manicure abilities, and the fact that yours actually survives life! Mine chip like crazy. Sending good vibes your way for the interview tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, JessFit said:

I'm mad impressed with your manicure abilities, and the fact that yours actually survives life! Mine chip like crazy. Sending good vibes your way for the interview tomorrow. 

The secret is top coat - I often use two coats. And wrap the tip if your fingernails extend past your finger! Brush the polish on the very tip of your fingernail too to create a more full seal - it's not as likely to chip from the edges that way. (You can technically do that if your fingernails aren't past your actual finger tip too, it's just a lot harder to do so cleanly.)

Alright, so I failed at updating over the weekend, but let's catch up now...

Ice/freezing rain meant my husband didn't go to church. I was too embarrassed to work out anyway, so I decided I'd sneak in each part as I could during the week and call it close enough. So yesterday I got in my 50 calf raises at least?

I failed on that one day I said I was going to try for no dessert, but I still haven't broken my "dessert allowed times of the day" thing yet!

Grad school: Okay, so for this module I had 4 videos (4 DONE), 4 readings (2 done), 10 definitions/examples/citations (3 done), and 5 comments (0 done). The citations are what takes the most time, just because I have to find scholarly articles supporting my definitions and examples, but most of the topics discussed in class are so basic (it's an intro to Second Language Acquisition course) that many scholars don't bother defining them in their papers.

Spanish 480: Not 100% sure without looking, but I think I'm on page 183? I need to get to...a lot more than that. Initial goal is still 214 but that deadline has already passed, technically...
General proficiency: I've mostly only being doing vocabulary so far. 3 mastered...

Put on hold in order to focus on prepping for interview tomorrow!!! I've been going over some question with my husband but mostly just brainstorming answers, I don't exactly have anything like super prepared. I printed my resume, cover letter, and reference letters (though I never really know when to give them to the interviewer? It always feels super awkward.) and got a nice looking portfolio to carry them in. I have my outfit picked out and am calling my hair salon today to see if I can get a styling appointment...unfortunately that'll have to be today, since my interview starts before they even open tomorrow morning, but as long as I'm careful I should be able to make it last with a little touching up tomorrow morning. 
Update: I got a styling appointment! Unfortunately, it's not until 7pm tonight. But the receptionist seemed to think that would help it survive, so...yay? Hey, at least I got one at all! 

I switched out my polish too! I think this one strikes the perfect balance - subdued, professional, pretty, but not bland or boring. It's a pretty light pink to gold chrome (meaning it changes colors from light pink to gold depending on what angle you look at it!) with a shiny metallic finish and just the tiniest scattering of holo sparkles, so if you look super closely you can see little bitty rainbow sparkles :) This one is NOT my picture, but it's a really good angle to show you the color shift.

2089900745_illimiteavignon07.jpg.01b2e6f436f886c7e125bcfd00259e39.jpg

None of this happened. Oops? My goal is to get the seeds picked out at least today...I know what I want in general (like I want bell peppers, carrots, etc.) but need to find the exact ones still. 

•  
  • Like 1

Whew, late update today but for good reason...I had my first interview this morning!!!

I'm...not convinced. There were 2 people on the interview committee and only one of them was nodding, laughing, etc. as I was talking. The other might have just had a better poker face? Or was not impressed with me at all, hahaha. Also I never broke through that "feels like an interview" atmosphere - my best interviews in the past always eventually become just conversations, but this one never did. All in all, I'm not counting myself out yet but I'm also not holding my breath. Either way, it was probably a good thing I got such an early interview to help get my momentum going again - one of the tough parts of only having interviews for 3-4 months out of the year is that even when you interview every year (I was interviewing last spring too) you get at least a little bit rusty between hiring seasons.

I got a little bit of work done here yesterday regardless of how much my focus was on the interview!
Grad school: New work:
4 videos (4 DONE)
4 readings (2 done)
10 definitions/examples/citations (6 done)
5 comments (0 done)
and also 1 short essay response that I forgot was part of this module but I already finished it anyway hahaha

Like I said in my intro, Interview #1 done but I'm not feeling super confident. So I've been filling out more job applications - 13 more today alone (total: 26, technically finishing my goal for this challenge already!). That's really not as impressive as it sounds, I promise - that's only 3 districts (fill out everything once, click on each opening you want to send your application to). I have a few more pulled up but they're going to need very specific work such as new and very different cover letters, short paragraph responses, etc.

I got new supplies in the mail yesterday - perfect timing for playing around with some Valentine's Day ideas! And now that my interview is over, it's not a huge deal if I have silly things on my nails again...though I kinda don't want to take off my interview polish yet, it feels like a waste to remove it this early when it still looks good.

• Like 2

Woot 13 job applications! And a job interview. Like you said, even if it doesn'[t work out, it's good to get in there and have the interview practic

• Like 1

That is a pretty polish. Personally, it sounds like you're kicking butt and taking names on this challenge. I admire your high level of productivity. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woot 13 job applications! And a job interview. Like you said, even if it doesn'[t work out, it's good to get in there and have the interview practic

Yeah, I definitely was stiffer than I was at the end of interview season last year. I sent out my thank you e-mail last night, which I've always been slightly proud of (is that weird? I just think I have a really good structure hahaha). Maybe that'll help? 

2 hours ago, JessFit said:

That is a pretty polish. Personally, it sounds like you're kicking butt and taking names on this challenge. I admire your high level of productivity. 

Aww, thank you! I definitely don't feel super productive, so that's really encouraging, thank you!

Ugh, today is one of the worst days of the semester - evening parent-teacher conferences. I don't mind day conferences nearly so much, but evening conferences suck. I completely understand why we have to have them and all that, they're just soooo boring and sooooooooo long and then I have to come back and teach a full day again less than 12 hours after working like a 14 hour day. Spring conferences tend to be less attended as well, which is kinda nice (less people yelling at me is always good) but also awful (I'm mostly stuck sitting at a table in the cafeteria staring at a wall). Sometimes admin lets us bring work with us to do, sometimes they don't - they think it "doesn't look very welcoming" when all our heads are down, blargh.

4 videos (4 DONE)
4 readings (3 done)
short essay response (done)
10 definitions/examples/citations (7 done)
5 comments (0 done)

General proficiency: I passed my first set of 5 vocabulary words, yay! (5/25 done) I also listened to episode 2 (season 3) of the Coffeeshop Break Spanish podcast last night (1/10 done).

I haven't checked for new postings today yet, but I have been working on a cover letter for a private school opening. That's actually a very different job - it's for an Innovation and Technology Instructional Coach, not a teacher position - but I figure why not apply, right? I meet all their listed requirements...unfortunately I e-mailed the wrong file to myself on accident (the school I'm applying to has the initials PHS and I previously applied to one with the initials PH, whoops) so I'm largely stuck until I get home. I may start working on another one if I get the chance just so I'm not wasting quite so much time.

• Like 1

I LOVE that you are a linguist.  I used to be pretty good at french (reading/writing only). I can almost make out your signature; with a french dictionary I know I could get it!

out of curiosity- which languages do you know?!

What made you so interested in picking up these languages? at one point, I toyed with writing/reading French, Spanish then Esperanto.

:curious

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TGP said:

I LOVE that you are a linguist.  I used to be pretty good at french (reading/writing only). I can almost make out your signature; with a french dictionary I know I could get it!

out of curiosity- which languages do you know?!

What made you so interested in picking up these languages? at one point, I toyed with writing/reading French, Spanish then Esperanto.

:curious

Whew, okay, that's actually a pretty difficult question! I mean, at what point do you get to say you "know" a language...? Let's see:

Languages I can use at an academic level (aka could complete a college degree if taught in that language): English, French
Languages I can use pretty well but not academically, might struggle with some topics/structures/vocabulary: Spanish
Languages I've acquired teeny tiny parts of but not enough to do anything useful: Arabic, Amharic, Japanese, German
Languages I have studied at least a tiny bit but have forgotten literally everything: Farsi, Chinese, Korean
Languages I haven't studied at all but have a current interest in for either personal or professional reasons: Hebrew, Swahili, Nepali/Hindi, Berber languages (there are several, just in general)

My love affair with words started pretty classically - I was a voracious reader as a child/teenager, especially once my home life started getting really shitty. I began writing my own stories as well and was frustrated with my inability to make stories shine the way they do in my head. My school at the time was a private, very prestigious school that started foreign languages early, so I was enrolled in French as soon as I transferred in (8 years old). I became fascinated by the way that different words sounded and felt and could encode different concepts. In 7th grade, my French teacher made an off-hand comment in class about how maybe we could study in France someday when we were older, and I was flabbergasted. Despite going to a very expensive school, my parents didn't have money and I didn't know anyone who had ever been out of the country before. It had never struck me as something that was a real possibility. I became more and more fascinated by the idea of culture and the ability to integrate myself into a true variety of peoples. I didn't know what to do with myself in college, so after 5 years I just gave up and became a language teacher. And here I am!

French is just kinda something I stayed in because *shrug* why not? I grew to love it specifically over time. Spanish I toyed with slightly in the past but it became critical when I had a mixed race child to support (my husband is Mexican); it will also open up like 5x more job options, and honestly I fell head over heels in love with Spain on my honeymoon anyway. Arabic will 95% likely be my next focus after that due to the large increase in local Arabic-speaking population, my own interest in the culture, potential job security (there are only 2 Arabic language programs I know of in this city, but there's also only something like 3 possible teachers), and for academic purposes - I'm deeply interested in North Africa, which requires me to at least function in both Arabic and French (and a bit of Spanish doesn't hurt).

Updates from yesterday...didn't get that much done due to conferences, but there's a little to report!

4 videos (4 DONE)
4 readings (4 DONE)
short essay response (done)
10 definitions/examples/citations (9 done, citation found for last one and just need to do write-up)
5 comments (0 done)

One position closed without doing interviews (almost certainly filled internally and posted for legal reasons). Otherwise I completed 3 other applications yesterday and wrote my cover letter for PHS. Now I just need to do one of those paragraph answer things for them. I'm nervous! PHS is actually the school I was talking about attending up at the top of this post :D And they're well known for being picky - gotta justify that $14,000/year tuition somehow, right? (Nope, not a typo. It's more expensive now too I'm sure - that's how much it was when I left in 2000. Put it this way, one of my friends there was Teddy Bloch, one of the grandsons of the guys who started H&R Block, and his family was "middle range" in both importance and money compared to the rest of the school.) I've heard though the grapevine you need a graduate degree from a well-reputed school as the absolute bare minimum for them to even look at your application and I don't have that yet. But...hey, what's the harm in applying, right? What's the worst that can happen? They ignore me completely? That's what most districts do anyway...

• Like 2

Sounds like you are doing well. Maybe breaking up your workout to do a little bit every day might work better? Something to think about at least.

I want to learn Arabic someday just because I love the script and have seen some beautiful poems written in it that I would love to be able to read as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, GoodDoug said:

Sounds like you are doing well. Maybe breaking up your workout to do a little bit every day might work better? Something to think about at least.

I want to learn Arabic someday just because I love the script and have seen some beautiful poems written in it that I would love to be able to read as well. 

I think that's exactly what's going to end up happening re:workout. I was discussing it with my husband and he thinks as long as I push myself, it might be slightly more effective spread out...and there was another (much smaller) ice storm Saturday night, resulting in a second week with no church and no private working out time...

Also Arabic is awesome! I do absolutely adore the calligraphy; it's some of the most beautiful art! I actually made a calligraphy out of my name in Arabic script once that looked like a super simple flower. I'll have to see if I can remember how I drew it and maybe get it posted here? I know the Arabic letters and how they go together - but they don't write a huge majority of their vowels, so it's rare that I can read unknown words regardless - and I have a scattering of random beginner vocabulary (words like book, door, etc.) plus a teeny tiny handful of very simple phrases (like "my name is"). I usually die somewhere around turn two or three of a simple introductory conversation, hahaha, and I've been told my accent sounds "very American with a touch of French". Which makes a lot of sense! Someday I'll get there....

Okay, let's see. I didn't post over the weekend, but let's get caught up!

As previously commented, freezing rain Saturday night = no church for the husband and baby = no private working out time yesterday. I'm going to work on trying to spread it out over the week instead though! My goal today is to get two sets done - I'm thinking planks and lunges, assuming my nose cooperates (planks have been a real headache lately due to sinus issues, ugh).

I've managed well here except I still only have 1 dessert-free day. I should have pushed myself to do it yesterday; I probably could have but didn't think about it until it was too late. 

This has been my major push! Let's see....
Grad school: Module 3 was completed on Saturday, the day before it was due! Yay! Now we're on module 4, which consists of:
5 readings
3 videos
1 short essay response
10 timeline entries (definitions, citations, examples, extra media)
"optional midterm evaluation"  - of the course, I think?

Spanish 480: Still plowing through La Noche de la Usina to the best of my ability. It's slow, but it's going. Currently on page 279 - should be to 324 by the end of today, whew. Also need to post...I think I'm up to 360 words of review? Haven't started that yet, but I know what I want to write about.
General proficiency: So far I've gotten: 8 new vocabulary words (goal: 25), 1 podcast episode (goal: 10), 0 writing practices (goal: 10), and...going with 30 minutes of speaking practice (goal: 2 hours). I got in one parent-teacher conference that was in Spanish with no outside help (yay!) and then last night I pushed my husband to make our dinner conversation be entirely in Spanish as well. Timing for both is questionable but I figure I'll guess towards the shorter end of things to push myself :)

No news over the weekend. Need to starting thinking about this again though.

Got my...technically second manicure of this challenge done yesterday. I decided to try stamping! It took me a few tries (and two stampers...I can't get the first one to work properly, but the second one I tried works much better! This might have something to do with the kind of image I was stamping, I'm not sure.) but I got it and now I'm super excited! Man, I wish I could stamp everything ever because it's just so freaking cool hahaha. I did accidentally file my nails down too far, so they're a good bit shorter than I would have liked. I'm not very good at shaping them properly yet...
2060725556_firststamptosharelefthand.jpeg.f60a4314c63dc421a88d925256dd1eb5.jpeg1520453898_firststamptoshare.jpeg.f24a36301c1fc3a8a1842e15eaa708f7.jpeg

and one zoomed in picture so you can see the kind of design I was stamping a little better:
116210803_stampzoomedin.jpeg.ad7a9467c4b1e86a0df17a91b0636871.jpeg

None of these are done yet, blast it all. I really need to get going...

• Like 1

Your nails are so gorgeous!!!

Bravery points awarded for trying out at an elite school. That would be fun to teach where you attended

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Your nails are so gorgeous!!!

Bravery points awarded for trying out at an elite school. That would be fun to teach where you attended

Thank you so much! The stamping really makes them look much more difficult and fancy than they are :) They're so pretty though! The PHS application makes me nervous but no harm, no foul right? It's probably me just throwing things into a digital void for right now, but hey, they can't hire you if you don't apply, right?

Late update because it has been an absolutely CRAZY morning - my gods my job is staffed by complete morons who probably can't even spell "school", much less run one - but I'm finally starting to breath for the day now.

So I got in 2 exercises yesterday! I got my 50 calf raises and 20 squats done during the evening while entertaining the toddler, which added an extra challenge since most of it was done while holding him as a way to keep him entertained. I did more than 50 calf raises - I just stopped counting at 50 - but I figure that can balance out the fact I'm pretty sure my form on a handful of those squats was getting pretty funky while the baby was wiggling and throwing a small fit because I wouldn't let him fall down the stairs by himself (yes, really. Toddlers are weird.) 

I ended up going without dessert all day yesterday! Day 2 for this challenge in the books, yeah!

Okay, I'm still behind here but I'm starting to see a little bit of light at the end of this tunnel. It's faint and very distant, but I think I see it...
Grad school: Module 4:
5 readings (1 started, 3 downloaded)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
(optional midterm evaluation of course)

Spanish 480: I'm on page...I'm pretty sure it's like 302 or 303, without getting up to look right now. Topics for writings chosen, but not completed.
General proficiency: I did a little more speaking practice yesterday with the husband, but it was spotty and not nearly as good of a conversation so I'm only giving myself 10 minutes of "credit", bringing my current speaking total to 40 minutes.

I haven't heard from any more jobs yet and haven't even looked for new postings since Thursday. I will be checking on that today, completing and sending in my PHS application, and hopefully getting in 2 more, depending on what is posted.

I finally finished sorting my clothing that was in the second bedroom! Ugh, I'm kinda embarrassed because there was so little left from the last challenge and I just had never realized it before. Now all I have to do is actually get the bag to the donation center and then I can check this one off my list!

• Like 3

Whew! 10 days into the official part of this challenge and I'm finally starting to feel just a tiny bit like Legolas!

legolas_shooting_multiple_orcs.gif.48c0c7c5febb7379b80f80f866b491f5.gif

I'm just going to stand here and shoot everything I can...

My quads are still pretty sore from the baby-enhanced workout, so I tried to do my lunges yesterday under the theory that "moving again will be the best medicine". I only made it to 6 (goal was 10) but I'm going to try again today!

I'm not actually up to speed here, but I'm getting there!
5 readings (1 done, 1 printing as we speak, 1 downloaded)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
(optional midterm evaluation of the course)

Spanish 480: Currently on page 330-something, very nearly done with the book! Then I have 480 words of reflections/review to write and a 3 page essay. This is both a TON of work left and also the closest I've been to "caught up" since the challenge started.

I didn't post yesterday because I was busy preparing for a last minute screening interview! A middle school science position opened up at a highly rated school about an hour away from me and they called me in for a screener. Yes, it's further away, and no, it's not even close to a language. But they blow my next-best-rated school experience out of the water in terms of things like test scores, attendance/graduation rates, etc. And really, all I'm looking for at this point is a "I don't hate this and can hang out for several years" experience to buy myself time to finish my grad degree and build my resume. I hate screening interviews but whatever, I'll chat with you as many times as you want if you get me the heck out of my current job hell!

Okay, let's see...
1. finish sorting second bedroom clothing and donate what I don't want anymore = I finished sorting my clothing the other day and brought in my "teenagers might reasonably not hate this" options to school today for their clothing closet. I'll bring the rest to a donation center sometime before the end of the week!

2. buy and start seeds for garden = order placed last night! I also realized I'm already technically late getting seeds started indoors, whoops. Turns out our official date of last frost is a little earlier than I guessed, and also I just didn't count weeks backwards correctly, lol. I might be a bit behind, but it's not awful! I should be starting my seeds around 7 weeks before the last frost, I'm thinking (it will depend slightly on when they arrive in the mail, of course).

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books = I got the first bag put together and in my car. Depending on what my Spanish professor says, I'll be meeting with her either today or tomorrow after school. The day I don't meet with her, I'll sell those books and use part of the proceeds (or maybe all, Lord knows they don't pay you very much) to buy a board book for my best friend's baby girl who turned 1 year old yesterday! They're not doing a first birthday party, but they bought a large gift for my son at his first birthday and I know all 3 of them adore books, so I figure that's the safest way to respect their wishes and still repay them/celebrate their daughter.

•  
  • Like 1

Not a lot to report from yesterday (we're doing state testing at work and it's a giant freaking mess that saps all my energy and will to live), but here's a little bit of update!

5 readings (3 done, 1 downloaded)
3 videos (all 3 DONE)
1 short essay response
(optional midterm evaluation of the course)

Spanish 480: On page 334 of La Noche de la Usina (one more tiny chapter than I had yesterday, hahaha). I'm also meeting with my professor after work today.

The principal I had the screening interview with sent me an e-mail saying he was glad to have met me and they'd "be in touch soon". Seems like a good sign, no?

I really desperately wanted to do this last night but I thought it would take too long, ugh. I need to either figure out a way to make this process faster or maybe I need to work on my schedule in general (probably both)...

2. buy and start seeds for garden = I got an e-mail saying my seeds should be here on the 26th! That's quite a bit faster than their website said!

5. sell at least 2 bags of books at Half Price Books = My professor said she'd meet with me today, so I went to Half Price Books yesterday. They gave me $12 for an entire bag full of books, which isn't terrible until you start considering the price per book. I turned around and then spent $12.72 buying new books from them, hahaha. I bought a board book for my friend's daughter (who they've now decided to have a belated birthday party for in two weeks) and then two fantasy novels for me and my husband. They didn't have any of the books on my TBR list, but I found two others that looked halfway interesting and were rated around 4 stars on Goodreads, so...*shrug*...it's been a long time since I got to read any good new fantasy, and a VERY long time since I've found a new author to follow, so why not try, right?

• Like 2