• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug gets sent to boot camp

The old Ranger guild leader shuffled the papers in front of him. The guild hall was pretty full with faces old and new as the new assignments were being given out. The door opened and a familiar (and unpleasant) odor filled the hall. The old guild leader, shook his head without looking up as the Half Ogre walked up and stood in front of the table he was working at.

"Ahem, hello, GoodDoug reporting for assignment."

"Hmf, I kind of expected to see you. I know you've been lurking around here." The guild leader looked up, "Wow, you've let yourself go."

GoodDoug shrugged, he wasn't nearly as out of shape as when he first joined the Rangers, but he was definitely not as good as he was when he stopped coming for assignments almost four years ago.

"I need to get back into it, I tried to go on my own. That didn't work out well, turns out I need you guys, I need your guidance and support."

The guild leader nodded slowly. Way back when, he had taken a chance on this half ogre, GoodDoug had done some good things. Old hands still told new recruits the story of this half ogre chasing down, hunting and eating the giant Tyrannosaurus rex dinosaurs

"Well, we need to get you back into fighting shape, and we are low on some equipment. Lets kill two stirges with one arrow."

This is a reboot to get back into it. Turns out I've missed you guys, and have a hard time keeping on track without accountability to some external people. So you guys get to be my external people (yay?)

I've just started at the work gym with a new lifting routine... I forgot how sore I can get. I will incorporate going to the gym and lifting. I was tracking food with LoseIt! but I think I'm going to stay away from that until I get into better routines at the gym. If I am good on tracking, I will likely not have energy to lift. If I am good on lifting, my lizard brain will convince me to cheat on tracking. So, I will instead shoot for not having sugary snacks at work or at home in the evening for the most part.

On top of that, I want to start running again. I stopped when I started getting weird pains in my leg and foot, it is better now and I think it is time to go running.

Finally, we are having a month long challenge at work to "Fill the Rings" on our Apple Watches. We have teams and the goal is to fill the rings every day. Filling the rings any one day is easy... filling them every day, even when life throws you curve balls is the challenge.

I'm going to split this challenge into mini challenges. Each week, I will be sent on a new quest to get some equipment fit for a Ranger. First week, I'll go get my "Bracer of Accountability" from the wyverns nest. Second week, I will need to chase down the thief that stole one of the jewels of Zheep Yus. Third week I'll need to clear the rock slide to get my communication bead.

I may regret starting this during this timeframe, as the last week will see me in Hong Kong for work. If my last trip there is any indication I'm in for great food, tons of walking and a decent gym. So, my last mini quest will be to travel to a far land and maintain the skills I've built over the previous three weeks.

Goals:

1- Fill my activity rings on my watch every day (no exceptions unless I am somehow dead)

- side goal, get Gold in the challenge at work

2- Lift twice a week

- side goal, Handstand or Yoga practice two of the other days

3- Start running - run once the first week, twice every week after that

- side goal, run 5k without stopping by the end

- side goal 2, run on the treadmill while out of town

Bonus goal- Stay active on the forums. I've found that I do much better if I spend time on the forums, and keep my thread updated. Post 3 times a week on my own thread and post on other's threads.

"Here's what I need you to do: First, get the Bracer of Accountability from the wyverns nest. That won't be tough, but you'll need to take your time and be persistent. Once you have that, come back here and I'll get you your own Zheep Yus jewel." GoodDoug felt that familiar warmth that comes from starting an assignment for the Rebellion, even though he was leaving, he was home.

• Like 6

you are hardcore Doug- that seems like an impressive feat of athletic storytelling.

I did my c25k just about exactly a year ago....

so I remember what the process was like.

so I'll happily follow along.  stay active and tell us of the running plans!

are you using a c25k app? or just going to get into running "cold turkey"??

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Yay!   I found you!   Glad to have you back, and I will be here to root you on, and hold you accountable!

Hooray!

20 hours ago, TGP said:

you are hardcore Doug- that seems like an impressive feat of athletic storytelling.

are you using a c25k app? or just going to get into running "cold turkey"??

I did C25K way back when. I am going to start out by running 2 miles, and try to increase that every week by a little bit. I may also do some run/walk/run, but will feel it out. I know the Zombies Run app was a great motivator in the past, might be what I need to get me out the door in the evenings.

My Week 0 update so far:

About to go to the gym and lift once I hit the "Post" button. Did a little running on Sunday, but most of that was playing soccer with the kids. Will try and get a real run in tomorrow. And, the activity rings are getting filled, nothing like having a team counting on you to motivate! For the most part, I am closing the rings early, which bodes well for the challenge.

Now, off to lift!

• Like 3

Woot!  Another older member returning for a new challenge.  I just came back after a long hiatus myself.  Your goals look great.  Would love to hear any tips you have on handstands from your practice.

Day one was good, filled activity rings. Had to push lifting to the next day as work exploded, but I'm about to go get my lift on in a few minutes. Now for running... I just need to start. Once I do, it'll all be good.

My unstated goal of avoiding sugary snacks hit a cupcake sized road bump. But, as I'm sure you will all agree, eating 5 cupcakes yesterday is soooo much better than eating one cupcake every day for the next 5 days... you all agree with that, right? (It was only 3, and my brain really did do a great job of convincing me that I should get rid of them all so I won't be tempted later)

GoodDoug the half ogre looked at the wyvern's roost way above him. He was going to need to take it one step at a time. As long as he kept moving and didn't rush ahead too quickly, the wyvern's should ignore him. The Ranger guild leader had told him the Bracer of Accountability would be his once he reclaimed it from the Wyvern's nest.

Time to start moving.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

My unstated goal of avoiding sugary snacks hit a cupcake sized road bump. But, as I'm sure you will all agree, eating 5 cupcakes yesterday is soooo much better than eating one cupcake every day for the next 5 days... you all agree with that, right? (It was only 3, and my brain really did do a great job of convincing me that I should get rid of them all so I won't be tempted later)

Probably and If not

well then your not the only person with that problem. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

But, as I'm sure you will all agree, eating 5 cupcakes yesterday is soooo much better than eating one cupcake every day for the next 5 days... you all agree with that, right? (It was only 3, and my brain really did do a great job of convincing me that I should get rid of them all so I won't be tempted later)

Bwahaha. This sounds like conversations I've had with myself. In fact I just yesterday finished off the trail mix at work so there wouldn't be anymore :)

254c683d16a2b34f26dd4ea0305369e6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This week the elements are conspiring against me. Small landslides mean I have to work from home, which means I can't get to the gym... 

But, got one gym workout in before the rain and wind, and doing yoga and bodyweight to make up for missing the gym. Will get my run on today if I can get through all the other stuff I need to do (sopping up leaks in the garage, moving the sump pump through the yard, picking up all the debris)

On the bright side, filling my rings has been easy, it's been a good steady pace, which is what I wanted for this week.

• Like 2

The job should have been simple, make it up the rocky cliff slowly and non-threateningly. Sneak up on the wyverns' nest, wait for an opportunity and grab the magic Bracer he would need for the next step. Tough but simple. Then the rain and wind started, GoodDoug moved when he could, getting closer and closer every day. Some hours he spent fighting through the wind and rain while others he sat huddled under what cover he could find. It gave him time to watch the two wyverns in the nest and get some sense of their routines. When the rain broke, they would often go out one at a time to hunt, leaving one behind to guard their treasure. But in the evening, during breaks in the weather they would often spend a few minutes soaring together. They stayed near the nest, but the half ogre thought he might have a chance if he was patient and quick.

It was Friday before he made it to the top, lots of sow steady work, and to the wyverns he was just a part of the landscape. They sensed that the goats and other small mammals were simpler prey for them than this big ugly brute climbing up the cliffs. The rain and wind had been steady the whole day, but from his perch which on the cliff GoodDoug saw there was a break coming. He tried to coax his muscles into readiness, he was still getting back in shape. The clouds parted, the moonlight dappled the cliff face and the wyverns took off to stretch their wings. GoodDoug ran immediately this was his best chance. He didn't want to fight the wyverns, he knew they were too far out to be a threat to anyone. 

He reached the nest without incident, amongst the bones and excrement were some bits of treasure. Like children playing at being adults, the wyverns collected bits of treasure like dragons collected hoards. He rooted through until he found what he was looking for, the Bracer of Accountability. The Ranger guild leader had said he would need it.

GoodDoug looked up, almost too late, the wyverns had noticed him and were coming back. GoodDoug turned tail and ran and ran until he felt he could run no more.

Week one recap:

Not great, but not terrible. 

1- Fill my activity rings on my watch every day (no exceptions unless I am somehow dead)

- Filled the rings and then some every day. Nailed it

2- Lift twice a week

- Did once, then had to work from home most of the week because landslides kept me home, but tried to make up for it with one bodyweight workout and one long yoga workout

- Ran once, it was hard, but I feel like I did a little better than I expected. Nailed it

Bonus goal- Stay active on the forums.

- Posted on my thread and on a few others. Could have done better, but I'll call it a qualified success

Now, for this week, I need to motivate myself to push past the inertia and get into the gym and onto the road. I will either run or lift today, it is not acceptable to do neither today. Please keep me accountable!

Now that I have the Bracer of Accountability (my Apple Watch if I'm being too obtuse) the next step is to get the jewel of Zheep Yus (GPS if I'm still too obtuse in my references) and do some more running.

The Ranger guild leader looked at this smelly brute in front of him. The half ogre had a half smile and looked tired, but stood ready for the next assignment.

"OK, you'll remember this from one of your quests a while back," he handed GoodDoug the jewel of Zheep Yus, "It will lead you to your next assignment. You will meet with the Warriors there and help them out with whatever they need. Knowing them, they'll want you to just move heavy things."

GoodDoug's smile grew, he loved working with the other guilds and looked forward to working with friends old and new.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, GoodDoug said:

On 2/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, TGP said:

Probably and If not

well then your not the only person with that problem. ;)

BUSTED! CONFIRMED!

In total agreement!

LOVE IT

(Though to be honest, this new streak I am on, I have not done this once since I got into the good place... iiiinteresting.)

On 2/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, GoodDoug said:

I will either run or lift today, it is not acceptable to do neither today. Please keep me accountable!

This is a great approach.   You can do it!  You did it, right?  And if not, you're doing it today, the 19th, right now as I type this!

• Like 2

Went for a short run last night, so we are good. Was going to lift today, but I'm spending all of my energy fighting this cold that is threatening to take me out. Uggh.

• Like 3

Good choice on that.  I gave my body all the extra energy and it still caught me a bit!    You gotta fend off the villains before rescuing the poor merchant!    Er, or something like that.

• Like 1

Late week update:

TL;DR Forces are conspiring against me, but I will be flexible and carry on

That cold knocked me out for a day, I still pushed through to fill my rings, so that's a positive. Then work decided that getting to the gym was a fools errand this week, means good stuff at work (having to prepare and give demos is exciting and nerve wracking.) So, I've kept up with closing the rings on my watch, but have fallen behind on everything else. I'll try and go running tonight and I have a date with my daughters to do some surfing this weekend (haven't surfed in at least a year) so that is some work being done.

Normally, this is the part where I get down on myself and say what the heck and ghost you guys, but I'm going to "begin again" and try to take next week as a win.

The jewel of Zheep Yus pulsed in his hand, indicating the correct direction and GoodDoug the half ogre trudged on. He was moving so much slower than he had thought he would, he doubted he would make it to his destination in time. He felt like giving up, just another failed assignment... how many times had he tried to come back to the Rangers, giving up because he just didn't feel like he could keep up?

Not this time. He diverted his course to take him to an Inn he knew was a gathering place for the Rebellion. 

The half ogre walked into the Inn, smelling the fire at the hearth and seeing many other guild members gathered talking. He sighed and started mingling, heartened to hear their tales of both success and failure. Trying to find himself in their stories, he pushed the thoughts of quitting out of his head. 

Tomorrow would be better, and the next day better than that.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Late week update:

TL;DR Forces are conspiring against me, but I will be flexible and carry on

That cold knocked me out for a day, I still pushed through to fill my rings, so that's a positive. Then work decided that getting to the gym was a fools errand this week, means good stuff at work (having to prepare and give demos is exciting and nerve wracking.) So, I've kept up with closing the rings on my watch, but have fallen behind on everything else. I'll try and go running tonight and I have a date with my daughters to do some surfing this weekend (haven't surfed in at least a year) so that is some work being done.

Normally, this is the part where I get down on myself and say what the heck and ghost you guys, but I'm going to "begin again" and try to take next week as a win.

The jewel of Zheep Yus pulsed in his hand, indicating the correct direction and GoodDoug the half ogre trudged on. He was moving so much slower than he had thought he would, he doubted he would make it to his destination in time. He felt like giving up, just another failed assignment... how many times had he tried to come back to the Rangers, giving up because he just didn't feel like he could keep up?

Not this time. He diverted his course to take him to an Inn he knew was a gathering place for the Rebellion. 

The half ogre walked into the Inn, smelling the fire at the hearth and seeing many other guild members gathered talking. He sighed and started mingling, heartened to hear their tales of both success and failure. Trying to find himself in their stories, he pushed the thoughts of quitting out of his head. 

Tomorrow would be better, and the next day better than that.

Good for you for  persevering. A Ranger never gives up.

• Like 1

Good decision, Doug!

We people of the ranger guild are tough guys.  I'm currently crooning at a bar and I suspect that just about everyone is laughing at me.  well, if I'm bad bard I'm a good Jester and its good to be good at something.

I WON'T give up either!.  even if my singing can break glass and drive away dogs, cats, and pigs...

pigs have no ear for music.

;)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:32 AM, GoodDoug said:

A week that did not go as planned, does not equate to a failed week.   It is just a week, morally neutral.     You adjusted to the random encounters you faced and opted to continue on the adventure that was given to you.

That. Is. A. Win.

Good job! 

• Like 2

GoodDoug the half ogre dragged himself ashore, questioning his decision to swim across the river here rather than find a ford further downstream. But he was here and had taken at least a day off of his journey time. The jewel of Zheep Yus was pulling him very strongly towards where he could see the smoke from a few campfires. He knew he was close to his destination.

I mentioned earlier that forces conspired against me (even my own force of laziness and making up excuses) but I'm not letting it get me down. Time to call on the power of "Begin Again" and take this week head on. But I will admit that though I am trying to keep positive about it, I am disheartened... now the thing is to see whether I cannel that disappointment into doing better or giving up. I'm obviously hoping I just charge back in harder.

Week 2 recap:

- Fill my activity rings on my watch every day (no exceptions unless I am somehow dead)

- Missed one day, and that was mostly from apathy. I want to make a joke now about how I don't care enough to fix my apathy, but I think it wouldn't come across well ;P

2- Lift twice a week

- Nothin'. Got derailed by a cold and then some work stuff I needed to focus on. But, got in some yoga and handstand practice.

- Ran once, then the cold kicked in and decided to count my swimming yesterday as a workout. Not running, but still more than my usual

Bonus goal- Stay active on the forums.

- Not terrible, but would have liked to do better.

Thursday and Friday saw me putting in some long hours at work to prepare and then deliver this demo to management. The demo went very well, and we got all the outcomes we wanted from it (part of which was to ditch some of the stuff that I worked hard on but ended up feeling janky.) But that meant I had no time or energy for anything workout related. I also spent Saturday chauffeuring kids and playing Anthem (Ranger javelin of course) and just couldn't be chuffed to get off my ass enough to fill my rings, let alone go running. I was supposed to go surfing with the girls on Saturday but was just too lazy. Sunday I made up for it a bit. I made a great beef stew for the week, did a bunch of errands and took the girls surfing. It was the youngest's first time so I left my board at home and just swam with her. Lots of swimming trying to find the waves while staying out of the way of the "real" surfers. Ended up being about an hour of swimming, which my watch told me was just over a mile of swimming, but I think it was trying to calculate as if it were an indoor pool rather than an outdoor swim.

But I can say I am still pretty sore and tired from it... in a good way. I need to knuckle down and get to the damned gym this week. 

Next week, my goal is to lift heavy things. I will try to run as well, but getting to the gym is the important step.

Walking into the Warrior's camp felt different. They were part of the Rebellion like he was, but their focus was different. He was to help them this week and he knew they would work him hard. Good, he needed that.

• Like 4

Surfing? OMG GoodDoug that is way cool

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_0CAaQJ-yzTjR32zX-SO

I've always wondered, is that athletic or more just a matter of balance and nerves??

I've not actually been to an ocean with waves big enough to seriously surf.  Its On my bucket list of things I would like to see...

--

anyways, I like the sentiment about starting again.

Habits are always very stubborn and hard to start/change. (with me at least)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, TGP said:

Surfing? OMG GoodDoug that is way cool

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_0CAaQJ-yzTjR32zX-SO

I've always wondered, is that athletic or more just a matter of balance and nerves??

I've not actually been to an ocean with waves big enough to seriously surf.  Its On my bucket list of things I would like to see...

Surfing is a mix of athletics, balance, nerves, and ability to suss out what the swell is doing. I am not good at it by any stretch of the imagination. The middle child is getting good at it and the youngest has yet to catch an actual wave but she has the bug.

The first time you get a wave, even partially, you will be hooked for life. It is a rush and once you stand up and are letting the wave move you, you feel like a total badass. I would highly recommend going to an ocean and taking a beginner class. They will help you with the really hard part of figuring out where to put yourself and when to paddle. And you can surf on tiny waves with a big enough board and enough paddling.

Now you all just have to imagine a fat and ugly half ogre surfing a large plank, but falling off, arms akimbo. Oh, and unlike what you would imagine, stuffing your body into a wetsuit can make any bodytype look better.

Now, I'm off to help the Warriors pick up heavy things and put them back down again.

• Like 2

Man that sounds so amazing.  I am not a great swimmer so I don't think it's something I can pursue, but I bet it feels amazing!   Super cool you do that.

Ahh, the ranger javelin.   That's my second.  First one being an interceptor.  So fast.  The better to randomly crash into things with, yes!  /sagenod.

Don't rule your week as crappy because of the cold woes.   I see you did other stuff in lieu of planned stuff, because of the cold/body effect.   That's totally not grounds for saying meh!  That is called adaptation at its finest!  And you should be super proud of it.   Listening to the body; letting it rest or recover as needed, is INFINITELY more important than scoring a "perfect" in the Ranger Book.

• Like 2