• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fonzico

Fonizco Fills up on Food of GOODNESS!

Alright, alright, alright. When things don't work, we adjust and try again, amiright?

Last challenge was a freaking roller coaster. I was amazing some weeks, and literally rolled around naked in a bathtub of carbs and junk food  ate whatever the eff I wanted and it was terrible on others. 

And while I do have other, ancillary goals that were also worked on in a rather inconsistent but not altogether failure-like manner... lets be honest, I GOTTA get this whole food thing under control. 

So that's it. We're doing food this round. Yes, I'm still going to go to kettlebells and clean my kitchen and whatever... but I'm not going to check off 3/4 goals but not the food one, and give myself a pat on the back and call it good enough. 

While I've determined that I feel really excellent when I can stick to a keto/IF eating schedule, I have been having a hell of a time doing that lately. I also feel like I've begun relying on more processed, low carb crap foods lately, and I need to clean it up. 

I also love to make these grand, sweeping goals, and then abandon them! Hah. So I'll be doing week-by-week challenges, with the opportunity to reevaluate and adjust every week. 

For starters, I'm wanting to cut out junky stuff, and eat more vegetables. This means I'm probably going to increase my carb limit a little, but I think it's worth it. If I need more food, I should be eating more plants, not pork rinds just because they're carbless.

So, trial for Week Zero:

No Alcohol

No Sweeteners

No Desserts (1 serving of berries is acceptable. Baked keto goods, or whipped cream or jello are not)

No whipping cream or cream cheese. Other forms of dairy are still allowed. 

No grains, legumes (besides green beans or pea pods and black soy beans), or starchy vegetables 

Which leaves plenty of room for:

Non-starchy vegetables

Meat and eggs

Olive oil, coconut oil and butter

Cheese as a seasoning

I'm also planning to stick to a minimum 16:8 Intermittent Fasting Schedule, incorporating OMAD (one meal a day) as often as possible.

Unfortunately I came up with this scheme after I put sweeteners and whipping cream in my coffee this morning, and packed my lunch...  BUT effective starting for dinner tonight, it's on!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Did I ever mention I did my thesis on low carb diet adherence? 

What?! No!

So cool! I don't suppose it's in English?

15 hours ago, Fonzico said:

What?! No!

So cool! I don't suppose it's in English?

No.. and it was just quantitive research (I think that's the term in English) so more explorative than hard numbers/facts. 

But the results were still interesting.. I had 20 people follow a low carbish paleoish diet (there was thought behind it, but that'd be a long explanation) and they all had great results. But only 1 person was able to follow the diet for the full 12 weeks. It's just very very hard to stick to. And that's despite the results- because you'd think that when people see great results they'll want to stick to it more. 

• Like 2

No.. and it was just quantitive research (I think that's the term in English) so more explorative than hard numbers/facts. 
But the results were still interesting.. I had 20 people follow a low carbish paleoish diet (there was thought behind it, but that'd be a long explanation) and they all had great results. But only 1 person was able to follow the diet for the full 12 weeks. It's just very very hard to stick to. And that's despite the results- because you'd think that when people see great results they'll want to stick to it more. 
Well, that rings true. I was able to follow it for... Yep, about 12 weeks strictly! And I've been struggling ever since then to get back to it.

Oh well, what can you do except keep trying and changing variables?
  • Like 1

So, I am pretty sure I had my first ever migraine on Monday night :/
The headache part wasn't straight up debilitating, just awful. But it was preceded by insane visual flashing colors and partial vision loss which was completely freaking terrifying.
I still felt out of it yesterday morning, so I didn't go into work - staring at a computer screen all day didn't sound like a good idea. I felt guilty about it though - I've been missing a lot of work lately.

Anyways. Other than that, things are going well.
I went to kettlebells on Monday before this all went down - it was a really great workout. We're in the midst of a cold snap and apparently no one wanted to go out in it, so there was only 3 of us plus the instructor. It was nice - casual but we worked hard. I used 12kgs for almost everything (we didn't really do any doubles).

Food has been decent - I've stuck to my rules for the week.

Helped by the fact that I've made the most amazing salad EVER and who cares about craving other stuff when you can have it?
Basically, I made a big dish of slow roasted veggies - diced up small and all piled on there. It makes them kind of mushy, yes, but also kind of melty and they reheat beautifully that way. You know how crispy roasted broccoli is amazing fresh but sort of awful the next day? Anyway, I digress.

So roast those veggies up with lots of olive oil and salt. I used peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, bok choi, mushrooms and green beans. But you can use whatever your heart fancies.

Pile the veggies hot into greens, so everything gets a little wilty. Add lots of feta. Give it a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.

So good. Even hubs was enthralled.

I'll be having leftovers of that for lunch today, along with some chili.

And then something else involving chili tonight. I made a lot of chili.

So we switched internet providers recently, and were having trouble getting the new one hooked up, so they had to send a tech over (apparently it was disconnected for non payment a billion years ago, so the connection at the back alley was unplugged). Not the point. The point is, apparently that was motivation enough for my husband to tackle cleaning the basement (since a stranger was going to have to go into it)! We still need to sort a couple storage rooms, but it looks amazing down there!

I reaaaaally need to finish up our business finances from last year asap here. Our gst payment is due soon, and I'd like to get our taxes done as soon as I can.
Despite all my talk about no other goals, I might have to make that one. With priiiiiizes. Which is hilarious because I 100% have to do it anyways, carrot or no. But brisket is just so extra motivating!

• Like 3

The point is, apparently that was motivation enough for my husband to tackle cleaning the basement (since a stranger was going to have to go into it)! We still need to sort a couple storage rooms, but it looks amazing down there!

:D wish that kind of motivation worked on B, but alas. Glad for you though!

Our gst payment is due soon, and I'd like to get our taxes done as soon as I can.
Despite all my talk about no other goals, I might have to make that one. With priiiiiizes. Which is hilarious because I 100% have to do it anyways, carrot or no. But brisket is just so extra motivating!

Oh the finances. I also struggle with this one. And if it takes a brisket to get you extra eager, then so be it.

• Like 1

Well food was not exactly on point yesterday.
I've been having the opposite of my usual problem... I'm eating well in the evenings but giving in to temptation at work :/

Okay okay okay though. I've got an excellent lunch packed already. I'm going to bring healthy snacks too.

NO BUYING JUNK! How is this even a thing, I've gone years without buying crap at work. Sigh. I should just not bring money with me.

Kettlebells tonight! And my sister claims she is finally coming with me! So excite.

• Like 3

Better day yesterday, food wise.
Not perfect: I had a protein shake before kettlebells, which breaks my sweetener rule. And dinner involved a creamy sauce with both whipping cream and cream cheese.
But overall calories were good, I didn't buy anything at work, and I've stuck with the no alcohol thing since last Saturday, so that's cool!

I definitely don't think this set of rules is what I'm going for, long-term, but that's the beauty of changing it up every week!

And everything I've banned is all fine in small quantities... I was just going overboard. So cleaning it up for a bit then practicing some moderation seems like a solid plan.

I've really been enjoying eating all the vegetables I want - and my carbs have been between 30-40g per day, which is still really good.
I'm going to Costco with my mom and sister tonight, so I'll stock up on more goodness.

I still need to consider how I'm going to structure my food goals for week one. I'm thinking similar, but with a handful of free passes for the "no" foods.

• Like 5

On 2/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, Fonzico said:

and literally rolled around naked in a bathtub of carbs and junk food  

I dream about doing this myself sometimes.  Lol.  =)

Great challenge.  Here to cheer you on.

Did your sister go to kettlebells with you?
She did! Yay!

She's going to try to come more often... But her new job makes it impractical. :/
  • Like 2

Do you still have your snatch goal? I have a meet/competition with the 12kg in snatch tomorrow, really hoping to hit 180. 

On 2/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, Fonzico said:

Well, that rings true. I was able to follow it for... Yep, about 12 weeks strictly! And I've been struggling ever since then to get back to it.

Oh well, what can you do except keep trying and changing variables?

Yea.. keep trying and changing variables until you find something that seems easy to stick to. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a good place to start from, w.r.t. food. Having one or two free passes a week on certain foods, will take away that "deprived" feeling, and maybe you won't go overboard when you do have it, as you said you've done previously.

Glad your sister could join in on the kettlebells, but sad that it won't be regularly again. You two seemed to have enjoyed working out together.

• Like 1

Okay, yesterday was a false start. Let's just forget that. (Yikes)

I did go to kettlebells though! It was good. We didn't do any doubles work but I used a 14kg single bell for some of it, which is a new one!

Okay, so here are the guidelines I'm trying out this week:
1. Alcohol on the weekends only (Fri/sat)

2. Eat a large serving of veggies and/or a big ass salad for every dinner.

3. Dessert, anything clearly non-keto, and heavy creamy meals are restricted. I have 4 points to spend on these things per week. Weekday alcohol will also take points away from this.

4. Stay under 1600 calories per day on average for the week.

For each item I succeed in for the week, I'm giving myself $5 towards my wardrobe fund :)

I'm going to have my will tested on #1 tonight, as we're going to a show (Mother Mother and Said the Whale).
This is a crazy good year for concerts, actually! We're also going to see Metric and July Talk in April, and twenty one pilots in May! Much excite.

I'm also getting really excited for disc golf season! We had our AGM for our club on Sunday (whoo I get to be secretary for two more years lol) and we have a lot going on! And the hubs and I have some big plans for our company this year too. For sure for sure this weekend I'm getting the finances caught back up and doing the GST return. Then we can talk new goals.

Anyways.

Okay.

I don't know where my head was at yesterday but I'm shaking it off and I'm going to have an amazing week!

• Like 3

Do you still have your snatch goal? I have a meet/competition with the 12kg in snatch tomorrow, really hoping to hit 180. 

Yea.. keep trying and changing variables until you find something that seems easy to stick to. 
I do! Buuuuut I haven't really been practicing outside of kettlebell class. I really need to time myself again. I've been going heavier in class though, so hopefully that translates to having an easier time with the 20lbs.

How did your meet go??

Sounds like you have a good place to start from, w.r.t. food. Having one or two free passes a week on certain foods, will take away that "deprived" feeling, and maybe you won't go overboard when you do have it, as you said you've done previously.
Glad your sister could join in on the kettlebells, but sad that it won't be regularly again. You two seemed to have enjoyed working out together.
I've gotten used to going to class without her, but it was a guaranteed chance to hang out and catch up once or twice a week! I mostly just miss seeing her so often. We're bad at making time for each other when we don't have our pre-scheduled workouts :/
And now it's even harder with her working full time.

We were taking the dogs to the dog park together for a while there - it's been literally -40 with the wind chill for almost 2 weeks now though, so we haven't gone in a bit. Hopefully that can start up again soon :)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fonzico said:

t's been literally -40 with the wind chill for almost 2 weeks now though, so we haven't gone in a bit. Hopefully that can start up again soon :)

That's crazy. 

• Like 2

That's crazy. 
It's stupid. I'm so over it. They keep saying it's going to warm up and then it doesn't...
But they have minus mid teens predicted for this week, so hopefully the snap is ending!

29 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

It's stupid. I'm so over it. They keep saying it's going to warm up and then it doesn't...
But they have minus mid teens predicted for this week, so hopefully the snap is ending!

We usually have mild weather here, but right now we are snowed in (our car is not built for snow) They said it was supposed to rain, but it just kept snowing

Well I ended up using up a "point" last night... I didn't have a drink but nachos definitely happened! They were totally delicious and worth it.

And the show was AMAZING! Mother Mother was even better live than they are recorded... I loved it, honestly probably in the top 3 live music experiences I've had.

I took this morning off work since I knew it would be a late night, and I suck at operating on too little sleep... Not that the pup really let us sleep in anyways. Stinker. Good thing she's cute.

Goal for today is not to use up any more points! I need one for sushi tomorrow (I'm mostly having sashimi, but a little bit of rice is going to happen). And let's be honest, we don't want to go into the weekend with no wiggle room.

• Like 2